Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I did, but that was before I saw the article about google partnering with U Break I Fix for flat rate repairs. I think I'd rather risk the possibility of paying $150 than definitely paying $100.

I had seen that too. I've literally never broken a phone or screen (put them in a case w/ glass screen protector), and while I can't guarantee that won't happen I feel like the extra 100 bucks plus $100 deductible might not be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Mr E posted:

I had seen that too. I've literally never broken a phone or screen (put them in a case w/ glass screen protector), and while I can't guarantee that won't happen I feel like the extra 100 bucks plus $100 deductible might not be worth it.

I find that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who break every single phone they own, and those who keep theirs in relatively pristine shape. My brother and my girlfriend fall into the former--their phone screens are a nightmare from all the times they've been dropped--while I fall into the latter; the most damage I've done to a phone was drop my Galaxy Nexus after 2.5 years and it only ended up missing a small chunk in the bottom corner of the bezel. My Xperia Z3C is also practically brand new after almost 2 years.

In short, if you've had a few smartphones already and have never broken one or shattered a screen then you probably won't need the protection plan and it would be a waste of money. Just go with your gut.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've owned a literal truckload of smartphones in my life and never so much as dinged the corner of one, let alone scratch or crack anything. I'm as paranoid as the next guy that this might finally be the one I shatter, but I always take careful care of my phones and keep them in cases so it's probably not worth it to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've never had a case or screen protector on my phone and never had a problem, up until the 5x. The back is just so unbelievably slick and getting used to the fingerprint reader on the back was a bit awkward. I dropped my phone onto concrete while trying to put it back in my pocket and shattered the screen. I picked up the insurance this time around because there is no loving way I am using a case, but from now on I'll probably judge insurance on a phone by phone basis.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Please don't reference nazism in what appears to be a positive manner.

Please learn how modern culture has reclaimed those words from a now-dead political, sociological, and military movement. Or restrain your offended manner.

In other news, videos are out of people dunking their XLs in water for an hour. Please, please do not take this to mean the phone can withstand water. The slightest stresses to the frame can easily compromise whatever coincidental seal it has against water, as well as any flow or motion to/through the liquid. The people in these videos are lightly setting the phones down inside shallow bowls of stationary water, not dropping them into toilet bowls or streams.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Please learn how modern culture has reclaimed those words from a now-dead political, sociological, and military movement. Or restrain your offended manner.

In other news, videos are out of people dunking their XLs in water for an hour. Please, please do not take this to mean the phone can withstand water. The slightest stresses to the frame can easily compromise whatever coincidental seal it has against water, as well as any flow or motion to/through the liquid. The people in these videos are lightly setting the phones down inside shallow bowls of stationary water, not dropping them into toilet bowls or streams.
Nazi apologist spotted.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

☑︎ Anime Avatar
☑︎ Defending Nazi terminology
☑︎ Insisting someone's offended

What's your twitter handle? I'd like to read your thoughts on age of consent laws and the newest Ghostbusters movie.

Mr E posted:

Lol I bought the protection and I still have to pay a deductible? Is that how applecare works?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

☑︎ Anime Avatar

What's your twitter handle? I'd like to read your thoughts on age of consent laws and the newest Ghostbusters movie.

Godwin.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Stop being triggered by stuff like "PC master race". It has nothing to do with Nazis

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stop being triggered by stuff like "PC master race". It has nothing to do with Nazis

RZA Encryption posted:

☑︎ Anime Avatar

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Off topic (for the thread, not current topic), but Mei isn't anime any more than any other character from Overwatch, except that she's supposed to be Chinese.

:goonsay:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Powers posted:

Off topic (for the thread, not current topic), but Mei isn't anime any more than any other character from Overwatch, except that she's supposed to be Chinese.

:goonsay:

☑︎ PC Master Race Avatar

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

Lol I bought the protection and I still have to pay a deductible? Is that how applecare works?

Yes. It's a $75 dollar deductible and you only get two repairs. I think the screen is cheaper, maybe $30 but it takes up one of your repairs. It's also $130 vs $100 for the pixel. The pixel is $100 for a repair deductible (and you only get two as well) so the apple care is slightly cheaper long term but both it's not too different.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Do you use the phrase "PC Master Race"? in a positive connotation?

Do you support others comparing themselves to history's greatest monsters as if it were no big deal?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 25, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Abort aboooort

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yes. It's a $75 dollar deductible and you only get two repairs. I think the screen is cheaper, maybe $30 but it takes up one of your repairs. It's also $130 vs $100 for the pixel. The pixel is $100 for a repair deductible (and you only get two as well) so the apple care is slightly cheaper long term but both it's not too different.

Yeesh, I wish I had read the fine print on that one. I would def. recommend just paying the flat rate at the u break i fix, then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

Abort aboooort

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LionArcher posted:

But... how do you put up with no iMessage? It's the only thing holding me back...

I didn't have a Mac anyway and I don't really do group texts

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BTW, ubreakifix has other repairs listed in their site now as well. It's $79.99 to get either a battery replaced or a charging port repaired. Honestly, that's not bad considering it's a unibody phone that's somewhat difficult to take apart.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
As a member of the expandable storage and locally stored video file consuming master race I typically find tha-*splits jorts*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Using this phone makes me realize how much I really want it scaled up to 7" to serve as a proper N7 replacement.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

bull3964 posted:

Using this phone makes me realize how much I really want it scaled up to 7" to serve as a proper N7 replacement.
Would need to be cheaper, but yeah. We really need a proper 7" tablet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if the transfer cable does app data, or does it just tell the receiving phone "hey, download these apps"?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

Does anyone know if the transfer cable does app data, or does it just tell the receiving phone "hey, download these apps"?

For me, it did contacts, messages, and photos, but didn't do anything app related.

other question, can the google asistant/google now handle my Office 365 calendar? I use Nine to sync it, but if I ask "what's my agenda for tomorrow" it doesn't see the appointments.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

hooah posted:

Just what Jerkface said basically, it moved all of my contacts, messages, photos, wallpapers, etc. But it also set in motion downloading all of the exact same app's from my previous nexus phone and it also roughly placed them on the same pages/locations as they were on the previous device. None of them had any of my information stored in them or anything though(like finance based ones and games), had to re-input all of that myself. Of course it couldn't be exactly accurate because the previous device was a Nexus 5 and it had less icon slots, but stuff was pretty close.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 25, 2016

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Is there any somewhat reliable place to buy replacement batteries for old (Samsung) phones? Apparently Amazon is just a cesspool of counterfeits. :iiapa:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I realize now that the phone will arrive around Thanksgiving week. May wait a week to order just because of that, I'd rather not deliver to my parent's since mail service there is notoriously awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

For me, it did contacts, messages, and photos, but didn't do anything app related.

Actually, for quite a few of my apps, it did data too. There were many things I didn't have to log into after doing the transfer.

comcor
May 11, 2005
Knife-wrench. Practical and safe. For kids!
Google knocked it out of the park on Pixel - as advertised. Having said that, considering how the Nexus 6 devolved into sluggish garbage over the course of the last six months worth of android updates its entirely possible that I'm just getting rubed by the big G :tinfoil:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

Actually, for quite a few of my apps, it did data too. There were many things I didn't have to log into after doing the transfer.

Same

Is it just me, or is the only mail app on the Pixel the Gmail app? I threw the Outlook Android App on it to work with my O365 work account (works great BTW), but did I miss something?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

100% Dundee posted:

Just what Jerkface said basically, it moved all of my contacts, messages, photos, wallpapers, etc. But it also set in motion downloading all of the exact same app's from my previous nexus phone and it also roughly placed them on the same pages/locations as they were on the previous device. None of them had any of my information stored in them or anything though(like finance based ones and games), had to re-input all of that myself. Of course it couldn't be exactly accurate because the previous device was a Nexus 5 and it had less icon slots, but stuff was pretty close.

This is exactly what happened going 5 to 5x, but wirelessly. Is this a 7.0 thing?

comcor
May 11, 2005
Knife-wrench. Practical and safe. For kids!

kensei posted:

Same

Is it just me, or is the only mail app on the Pixel the Gmail app? I threw the Outlook Android App on it to work with my O365 work account (works great BTW), but did I miss something?

Gmail app can do Outlook, Yahoo, etc. Nothing stops you from installing another one from the Play store though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

comcor posted:

Gmail app can do Outlook, Yahoo, etc. Nothing stops you from installing another one from the Play store though.

Oh, I know it can. I was looking at our AirWatch subscription and it doesn't work with the Gmail app from what I can tell, so I was just looking to see if I had missed something. Like I said, I installed the Outlook APK and it's great with O365.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was in the Verizon store and I walked up to a row of 5 Pixels and said "Okay Google" really loudly. They all reacted at the same time. It was both funny and incredibly dorky.

Also the Pixels have a good size, I would consider.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So the "it grabs a few frames around when you hit the shutter button and gives you what's probably the best one" thing?

Worth

Every

Penny.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kensei posted:

Oh, I know it can. I was looking at our AirWatch subscription and it doesn't work with the Gmail app from what I can tell, so I was just looking to see if I had missed something. Like I said, I installed the Outlook APK and it's great with O365.

The Gmail app has been the only email app on stock android for ages. My company used to use Airwatch and I was stuck using the Airwatch Inbox client on my Nexus 5x. Gmail can be configured to work with Airwatch, but they have to setup the profile.

We're using Intune for MDM at work now that we are fully migrated to O365. However 7.1's encryption isn't compatible with its detection yet. Microsoft is promising a server side fix this week. However, for right now, you can't complete compliance checks for encryption with Intune if you have a Pixel.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Gmail app has been the only email app on stock android for ages. My company used to use Airwatch and I was stuck using the Airwatch Inbox client on my Nexus 5x. Gmail can be configured to work with Airwatch, but they have to setup the profile.

We're using Intune for MDM at work now that we are fully migrated to O365. However 7.1's encryption isn't compatible with its detection yet. Microsoft is promising a server side fix this week. However, for right now, you can't complete compliance checks for encryption with Intune if you have a Pixel.

We came from the Note 5/7 so I wasn't sure if there was an app or not. Thanks for the info about Intune and I'll dig deeper on setting up the profile for Gmail.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

So the "it grabs a few frames around when you hit the shutter button and gives you what's probably the best one" thing?

Worth

Every

Penny.

:catstare: I must have this phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

After a full day with the Pixel XL I definitely love it but I'm not sure I love it way more than the Nexus 6P on 7.1.1. Assistant is great and I love the look of it but really should have skipped a year like a sane non-phone geek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

After a full day with the Pixel XL I definitely love it but I'm not sure I love it way more than the Nexus 6P on 7.1.1. Assistant is great and I love the look of it but really should have skipped a year like a sane non-phone geek.

Would you love it more if you were coming from a Note 3? I'm waiting for mine from Rogers, not sure when it is going to arrive, but it has to be better than my current Note 3, and there really isn't anything else out there worth buying in Android land. I'm definitely not going Apple.