Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

absolem posted:

Could anyone recommend a case for the HTC 10? Or failing that, tell me what the go to brands are nowadays?

I've been using a Spigen Neo Hybrid and I have no complaints. I haven't done any really bad stuff to my phone since I got the case but it's survived the typical 3ft drops to tile or carpeted floors without a mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Boy oh boy is this thing crazy fast. Background installing all my apps while I'm using it and you don't even notice, doesn't skip a beat.

I'm very happy with the size of the 5", feels just right to me. Everything about this device just exudes quality.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Obviously nobody's had their Pixel (myself included) for very long, but my shortlist of phones to recommend is quickly turning into "Pixel or iPhone 7, gently caress the rest."
The Pixel is exactly what I want an Android phone to be now, which is basically just "put a bunch of good parts into a single, capable device." If you're looking at the spec sheet trying to find a Killer Feature, you're going to have the same problem capital-N Nerds had with the iPhone for a long time: the quality of the experience isn't easily reflected in specs, but it becomes apparent when you get your hands on one. So far, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the phone or having to janitor anything about the experience. It's really the first Android phone I've had where I'm not compelled to majorly mess with it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Obviously nobody's had their Pixel (myself included) for very long, but my shortlist of phones to recommend is quickly turning into "Pixel or iPhone 7, gently caress the rest."
The Pixel is exactly what I want an Android phone to be now, which is basically just "put a bunch of good parts into a single, capable device." If you're looking at the spec sheet trying to find a Killer Feature, you're going to have the same problem capital-N Nerds had with the iPhone for a long time: the quality of the experience isn't easily reflected in specs, but it becomes apparent when you get your hands on one. So far, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the phone or having to janitor anything about the experience. It's really the first Android phone I've had where I'm not compelled to majorly mess with it.

This is exactly what I've wanted in an Android phone. Can't wait for Thursday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Delete all your 4k animes and get the 32 gig one. Mine shipped same day as order and I didn't pre-order.

Sitting in the Richmond depot right now...

Unfortunately I learned from my 32gb 6P that I need more storage than that. I will continue my quest for a 128gb XL today.....

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So Google is pretty backed up with the Pixel? Mine is on pre-order from last week and isn't set to ship or get here until November 23-25. There's no way to get a hold of an unlocked one sooner is there? :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah. I've only had mine for a couple days, but this is a really awesome phone. I was incredibly impressed with the 2013 Moto X when that was new, and I'm even more impressed with the Pixel.

The thing is, I prefer Android over iOS, but I don't really care too much about specs. I just want a good user experience, which stock Android is pretty good for, minus a few quality of life things. Adding those is totally fine (I'm really missing active notifications on the Pixel, but the fingerprint sensor gesture thing is pretty nice), I really feel like none of the manufacturers are focusing on that aspect of customization. For their flagships, they're just jamming parts into a case, "differentiating" with a custom skin for the sake of doing something unique (whether or not it works), and then maybe thinking about user experience at the end. Granted, I haven't really used a Samsung, HTC, or other brand of phone much in a long time, and I hear they've gotten better, somewhat, but . . . it doesn't sound like they're where I want to be yet.

With the Pixel, it's clear that user experience came first. And while it does have some nice specs for some things, that's really not why it shines. It's well-designed (even if it does have the weird chin at the bottom, I've always felt like a fingerprint sensor belongs on the back, where they put it), and feels really good to use. It's smooth. It works. And where Google's added to stock Android, it's all been good stuff that isn't intrusive.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

nocal posted:

re: my dead gay 5X

Many credit cards extend the warranty of your device an extra year. Look into the credit card you bought it with and see if that applies to you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. I've only had mine for a couple days, but this is a really awesome phone. I was incredibly impressed with the 2013 Moto X when that was new, and I'm even more impressed with the Pixel.

The thing is, I prefer Android over iOS, but I don't really care too much about specs. I just want a good user experience, which stock Android is pretty good for, minus a few quality of life things. Adding those is totally fine (I'm really missing active notifications on the Pixel, but the fingerprint sensor gesture thing is pretty nice), I really feel like none of the manufacturers are focusing on that aspect of customization. For their flagships, they're just jamming parts into a case, "differentiating" with a custom skin for the sake of doing something unique (whether or not it works), and then maybe thinking about user experience at the end. Granted, I haven't really used a Samsung, HTC, or other brand of phone much in a long time, and I hear they've gotten better, somewhat, but . . . it doesn't sound like they're where I want to be yet.

With the Pixel, it's clear that user experience came first. And while it does have some nice specs for some things, that's really not why it shines. It's well-designed (even if it does have the weird chin at the bottom, I've always felt like a fingerprint sensor belongs on the back, where they put it), and feels really good to use. It's smooth. It works. And where Google's added to stock Android, it's all been good stuff that isn't intrusive.

The iPhones scanner only works because it's also the physical home button. If it wasn't a thing you were trained to smack to turn on the phone it wouldn't work at all

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Post weekend XL report:

Still owns.

I don't know if its just because it's brand new, but the speed of this thing is unreal and I still find myself switching between things as quickly as possible just to try and trip it up.

I can go from shitposting on SA to shitposting on Reddit to shitposting on 4chan seamlessly. It's really a new world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so proud of you Google, you finally made a good Android phone. And you won't let me buy one.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm so proud of you Google, you finally made a good Android phone. And you won't let me buy one.

Join the 32Gb family

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Going from a Moto X Pure 2015 to the Pixel XL I can firmly say it's a solid upgrade in speed and functionality. That's a net improvement in functionality despite the loss of the Moto stuff. I think the biggest "I miss %" thing is the twist-to-open-camera gesture and the chop-for-flashlight. The double-tap-power-button option is an okay replacement, but the flashlight thing is probably going to be a little tougher to get over. That's partly because I don't do much voice control stuff even while driving, and tend to listen to podcasts rather than music so there's a huge YMMV factor on that.

That said, holy gently caress it's quick. Even while downloading and installing all the apps after transferring the settings from my MXP, it didn't so much as stutter. This was an ~$830 purchase a year after the $500 or so (IIRC) I dropped on the MXP and I'm planning on handing the MXP down to my younger brother once I finish wiping it, so there's no offset in resale, and I still feel like it's worth every penny but I think that's not the case if you're going to put yourself in ramen-for-dinner territory. It's an incredibly solid-feeling phone and despite the aluminum frame it doesn't feel slippery (though my hands are big enough to easily type on it one-handed so it may just be that I'm able to grip around it well :hawaaaafap:) but I'm also paranoid about dropping it so I'll report back when one of my cats knocks the drat thing off a desk.

Example camera image, uploaded full-size I believe:

Mind, this is full sunlight while practically everything is stopped or moving slowly.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 24, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Join the 32Gb family

I've outgrown you. It's not you, it's me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My pixel xl arrived today, at least two days ahead of my otterbox case, and I have a physical job. :( Look for a "hey guys this is what a broken xl looks like" post from me in the near future.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a compelling reason to wait for the XL to be back in stock rather than just ordering the normal Pixel? Obviously the screen is bigger, but will it be very noticeably faster or have a much longer battery life?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mr E posted:

Is there a compelling reason to wait for the XL to be back in stock rather than just ordering the normal Pixel? Obviously the screen is bigger, but will it be very noticeably faster or have a much longer battery life?

The phones are identical other than the screen size and battery size. I would guess that most of the bigger battery is taken up by the bigger/higher resolution screen but have not seen figures, the XL likely has a slightly better battery life. Really, it comes down to personal preference. I have giant man hands and the Pixel is too small for me. I always get a 6/6P/Note/XL sized phone because I find them more comfortable, that's it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

My pixel xl arrived today, at least two days ahead of my otterbox case, and I have a physical job. :( Look for a "hey guys this is what a broken xl looks like" post from me in the near future.

This may sound crazy, but maybe try leaving it in the box and use your current phone until the OtterBox case arrives? I know that's some thinking from far out in left field, but I think it might just work.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Have any of my fellow Pixel XL master race pre-orderers gotten the coupon for the free daydream yet? I'm hype to try some 3D....video content consumption.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

Have any of my fellow Pixel XL master race pre-orderers gotten the coupon for the free daydream yet? I'm hype to try some 3D....video content consumption.

Please don't reference nazism in what appears to be a positive manner.

If you got it from google, they said they'd mail it weeks after your device arrives, someone in this thread said verizon has a site you can upload your receipt to if you got it from them.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

Please don't reference nazism in what appears to be a positive manner.

Or, if you do, at least label your post with a trigger warning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I sure love how everyone in this thread likes to imply they masturbate on their phones.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

I sure love how everyone in this thread likes to imply they masturbate on their phones.

Yet another reason to have IP67, I suppose.

Guess you Pixel-havers will have to figure out another way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did run across a few setup quirks that Google shouldn't have let slip though that tarnishes an otherwise smooth setup.

I found that I needed to clear storage in the Google app (that got transferred from my old phone) in order for the new Pixel launcher to display the weather data. That's a pretty big screwup that's probably going to have a lot of people asking why their launcher doesn't show the weather instead of just date.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

Did run across a few setup quirks that Google shouldn't have let slip though that tarnishes an otherwise smooth setup.

I found that I needed to clear storage in the Google app (that got transferred from my old phone) in order for the new Pixel launcher to display the weather data. That's a pretty big screwup that's probably going to have a lot of people asking why their launcher doesn't show the weather instead of just date.

I think it's just a little buggy in general right now, mine would come and go randomly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Which implication is this, so I can be sure to make it in the future. Is IP53 not semen-proof?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

comper posted:

I think it's just a little buggy in general right now, mine would come and go randomly.

In my case, I hadn't seen it at all. It never once popped up. As soon as I cleared data for the Google App and reran setup for now, it popped in instantly.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

bull3964 posted:

In my case, I hadn't seen it at all. It never once popped up. As soon as I cleared data for the Google App and reran setup for now, it popped in instantly.

How do I do this now? I haven't seen the weather at all either.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Since IP ratings are for liquids as viscous as room temperature pure water it does not apply to highly viscous liquids like semen.

Please do not submerge your pixel in a vat of semen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dammit I want my phone why did I wait so long to pre-order :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

rotaryfun posted:

How do I do this now? I haven't seen the weather at all either.

Go into Apps under settings, scroll down to Google App and go in and clear storage. Then go back to the home and swipe right to go to Now and set it up again.

You ALSO may need to update the Pixel launcher. Mine didn't automatically, I had to search for it on the store and then Update showed up.

Make sure as well that Now is set to show weather cards under Customize -> Everything Else in the Now settings.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
For what its worth, I took a few comparison pictures between the XL and an 80D SLR. Both were on auto mode. They're definitely not studio quality comparison, but take a look.
http://imgur.com/a/YBQ7U

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Have you considered making a temporary case out of grip-tape, to hold you over?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

One good reason to not have front-facing speakers. :hawaaaafap:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shoren posted:

This may sound crazy, but maybe try leaving it in the box and use your current phone until the OtterBox case arrives? I know that's some thinking from far out in left field, but I think it might just work.

That would require self restraint, and it should be clear I don't have any considering I now have a Pixel XL and Nexus 6P. I'll just keep it in my locker I guess.

On that note, my Nexus 6P is now for sale in SA Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795293

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like I keep saying, I jumped to it from iPhone and after twelve hours I don't regret it at all

But... how do you put up with no iMessage? It's the only thing holding me back...

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

LionArcher posted:

But... how do you put up with no iMessage? It's the only thing holding me back...

Nag everybody you know into getting WhatsApp.

I left iOS before iMessage was a thing so I guess I don't know how dreamy it really is

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alright, so it seems like I'll be fine with the normal Pixel - 5.5" on my G4 isn't that useful. Should I get the protection plan?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mr E posted:

Should I get the protection plan?

Have you ever broken a phone?

Can you guarantee you won't start now?

(I paid for it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr E posted:

Alright, so it seems like I'll be fine with the normal Pixel - 5.5" on my G4 isn't that useful. Should I get the protection plan?

I did, but that was before I saw the article about google partnering with U Break I Fix for flat rate repairs. I think I'd rather risk the possibility of paying $150 than definitely paying $100.