Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Considering that I've gotten nothing but 5 flag drops and 50k credit drops, and not a single even mediocre reward out of luck boxes yet, not feeling very sympathetic he "merely" got a 250 flag reward.

edit: Apparently complaining works to some extent. Finally got a supercontainer, and it was a 500 doubloon one.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I run that flag on all my cruisers cause BURN YOU SONS OF BITCHES BURN.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vatek posted:

I run that flag on all my cruisers cause BURN YOU SONS OF BITCHES BURN.

even your rn cruisers?!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I got a Supercontainer with 50 Ocean Soul camos, and I've only opened like four or five of them. I have to say, they pay off less often but they pay off handsomely when they do. I can dig it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Scikar posted:

It gets cancelled out if you run the detonation flags, they make you immune to detonation regardless of your other flags and mods. But considering you can get 100k free xp or a premium ship out of a super container, it's a bit of a let down.

Neat. I've been taking all my daily containers as Lucky ones because why not try for Supercontainers? That seems like it could be worth it in the long run.

Though speaking of bad luck, I spent some of my doubloons on premium time since I figured I'd be playing a bit and literally two matches after I bought a month of premium a coupon thing popped up to save 500 off a month of premium. :saddowns:

Was there ever a consensus on what the best shoot-y cruiser line was/whether US Cruisers were fine for that?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Neat. I've been taking all my daily containers as Lucky ones because why not try for Supercontainers? That seems like it could be worth it in the long run.

Though speaking of bad luck, I spent some of my doubloons on premium time since I figured I'd be playing a bit and literally two matches after I bought a month of premium a coupon thing popped up to save 500 off a month of premium. :saddowns:

Was there ever a consensus on what the best shoot-y cruiser line was/whether US Cruisers were fine for that?

That's actually not an accident. If you spend doubloons in the game, it pops up things offering you stuff for even MOAR DOUBLOONS. I've seen a direct correlation between purchases and offers.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

JuffoWup posted:

even your rn cruisers?!

I don't hate myself nearly enough to play RN cruisers. I can't drive a cruiser without HE anyway.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yup. It wouldn't shock me at all if there's an algorithm which pops up deals for folks who have enough doubloons to buy premium ships to try and knock them below the threshold of having enough and force more gold purchases.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

3000 doubloons. Luck containers are the best.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I didn't like the Weymouth that much, but I like it a lot more now that I'm trying to play the Caledon. :saddowns:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Zaodai posted:

I reinstalled this and apparently the times I remembered playing a bunch were in the beta, because I have basically no ships researched. If I basically want to roll around shooting things with relatively strong guns that aren't slow as poo poo like a BB (in rate of fire), are American Cruisers still the way to go?

I was also playing Japanese Destroyers the last time I played, but it seems like people are saying in the last couple pages that they're awful now. If I enjoy torping, which Destroyer line should I go? I know my friends have said Soviet destroyers are basically little gunboats, and I know from Beta that the US destroyers have pitiful torp ranges which somewhat limited their effectiveness. I know the Umikaze is still super fun though. :getin:

The Tier 3 St. Louis is still very strong for the tier. I personally think the cruisers after that are fairly average. Good AA, good agility, but no torpedoes. The tier 3 and 4 German cruisers are horrendous, but 5-6-7 are very good in my opinion. Japanese routinely have strong torpedoes and from 5+ have the good 8" guns, but you have a big turning radius, mediocre AA, and middling side armor. I wouldnt recommend the Russian or British cruisers for your first line.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I got to thinking of something with the rn cruiser line. Does this line kind of remind people of the initial release of the french medium and heavy tank lines in WoT? Squishy yet decent in the hands of a player that knows how to play, but just an xp pinata when driven by normal players due to the long reload of the drum.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lakedaimon posted:

The Tier 3 St. Louis is still very strong for the tier. I personally think the cruisers after that are fairly average. Good AA, good agility, but no torpedoes. The tier 3 and 4 German cruisers are horrendous, but 5-6-7 are very good in my opinion. Japanese routinely have strong torpedoes and from 5+ have the good 8" guns, but you have a big turning radius, mediocre AA, and middling side armor. I wouldnt recommend the Russian or British cruisers for your first line.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Sounds like the American cruisers are a bit of jack of all trades so I'll stick with them first I think.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
American early cruisers are very good learning ships, yeh.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Zaodai posted:

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Sounds like the American cruisers are a bit of jack of all trades so I'll stick with them first I think.

Early US CAs are "jack of all trades", but once you hit the Cleveland they take a sharp turn towards "guns, partially armored, and AA". US CAs no longer carry torps at T6+, which hampers their ability to contest points and brawl, and their floaty shell arcs hampers their ability to sit at max range, though the sharp plunging angle and excellent AP shell penetration makes the hits you do land HURT. And, well, they DO have armor, but you wouldn't think that's the case since you run across the Pensacola at 7 which has none. Easy to learn, very hard to master.

The Japanese are much more uniform as they move up. The only sharp change is the Kuma to the Furutaka, as the Kuma is a spammy HE light cruiser, while the Furutaka has bigger, slower firing guns, and is nowhere near as maneuverable, being a proper heavy cruiser.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think I just inflicted the most irritating loss in the world on someone. I was in my Umikaze and nearly dead, and they had a BB and a destroyer left. I managed to outfight the enemy destroyer, and then get just within spotting range of the BB at which point I lead it around by the nose just making GBS threads out torps behind me so it could never get within visual range, much less gun range, of me. We had a very slight points lead so it had to come to me or it would lose by timeout. It's like losing a fight because an old man with a pool cue poked you 200 times.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I love dunk

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OwlFancier posted:

No I'm fighting hoshos and langleys, they're the same tier as me.

The american grumman fighters seem to be strictly better than the upgraded japanese ones, and I'm still consistently losing three times as many planes against the same fighters if the enemy is fielding a hosho as well, unless everyone's picked a huge number of skills that surely shouldn't be consistent?

US fighters are qualitatively and quantitatively superior to IJN fighters, yeah. Your only hope is to juke them out and land a strafe that takes most of them out. This is somewhat easier at tier 6+ because you get two fighter squads to play with, so if you have good micro you can land some sick strafes.

That being said the US also does more damage per strafe, has more ammo to strafe with and takes less damage from strafes. Dogfights are strictly RNG, if you're losing to Hosho fighters in dogfights its simply because the dice aren't falling in your favor. There is one skill that gives planes a slight HP buff but it's not super-noticeable and most people your tier won't have it.

Carrier balance is pretty much non-existent.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
When is Belfast out on the NA server? I remember seeing November, but don't know if I'm imagining it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Finally finished the Danae and have a fully upgraded Emerald to 'look forward' to. Please tell me its an improvement.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

Finally finished the Danae and have a fully upgraded Emerald to 'look forward' to. Please tell me its an improvement.

Same ship except you're now facing Myoko and York.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

That would be lying.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

:itwaspoo:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
The Leander is really growing on me; however, I can't wait to get into the Edinburgh. If only I'd get a super container with 100k free XP or a bunch of gold

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
There's something about playing DD's that just makes me want to relentlessly shittalk the enemy team. I guess it's the feeling of being able to outplay people that's much stronger in DD's than in other classes. Then again you can also easily gently caress up and instadie, so there's that...

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

Absolutely an improvement in the sense that you now have smoke. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same ship (as everyone else mentioned). If nothing else, you can count on one or two ~45 second periods of invisibility per match to broadside and fire at anything close enough. Keep in mind you need to slow down to ~16 knots before popping smoke since it only generates for a few seconds. Oh, and sometimes the second puff just doesn't spawn for some reason, in which case GG.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Emerald has 96 seconds of smoke with a 7s deploy time. Granted, that's an effective 75~85s of smoke before you should start moving, torpedoes into the smoke notwithstanding.

TheFluff posted:

There's something about playing DD's that just makes me want to relentlessly shittalk the enemy team. I guess it's the feeling of being able to outplay people that's much stronger in DD's than in other classes. Then again you can also easily gently caress up and instadie, so there's that...

But destroyers are the strongest. Who needs HP or armour? My ship is made of weapons. :black101:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Grinding multiple captain to 15 points is effort. I just finished grinding Montana captain (using Atlanta), and now I need to grind Kurfurst (12 points), Yamato (13 points), Des Moines (14 points), Bismarck (11 points) and North Carolina (14 points) captains :smith:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Aesis posted:

Grinding multiple captain to 15 points is effort. I just finished grinding Montana captain (using Atlanta), and now I need to grind Kurfurst (11 points), Yamato (13 points), Des Moines (14 points) and North Carolina (14 points) captains :smith:

Yikes. I'm not sure I care enough to worry about that for most ships.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

wdarkk posted:

Yikes. I'm not sure I care enough to worry about that for most ships.
Well I do have 18 points captains for Iowa and Hindenburg. Grinding those was worse :smithicide:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Edinburgh fuckin poooooowwwweeeerrrrr

I finally made rank 7. It took 436 ranked games to get here. It took just over 100 to get to rank 8.

Elusif fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 26, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
ATSF is back for another montage of fun and hilarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xsL2p72pE

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
To hit rank one from fifteen basically requires an excess of 40 or so wins from tier 12. So basically you need like 400 battles if you only win 10% in excess of losses. Getting top tier consistently in your losses is pretty imperative.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Shitters 4:20
"When he had received the doubloons, Hazdoc said, 'It is finished.' With that, he bowed his head and gave up his waifu."

so long and thanks for all the stars
248 battles to reach Rank 1.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 26, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Shitters 4:20
"When he had received the doubloons, Hazdoc said, 'It is finished.' With that, he bowed his head and gave up his waifu."

so long and thanks for all the stars
248 battles to reach Rank 1.

cool now you can get the uninstall achivement

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If I am a BB stuck in a brawl type situation vs enemy BB, where should I be aiming? I try to keep my ship angled against his but my shells seem to bounce off and his do insane amounts of damage. Also go citadel'ed several times and I can;'t seem to find my own. Where should I be aiming? Right at the water line? Currently in a T5 German BB

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
loving kill me, what am I doing wrong where I can't get beyond a loving 35% WR in the goddamn Bismark?

It really seems like you melt instantly vs any other battleship all the while plinking them constantly for 1160 damage as they laugh at your secondaries that, sure set them on fire, but in the end really do like 10k damage.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TheFluff posted:

I think when you're hidden and waiting for torps to reload posting "striiiiiike" in group chat after sinking a full hp bb is just too irresistible

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Well, that was pretty painless. Got to rank 15 with 8 wins and 1 loss, got carried hard at least one time and carried hard myself a couple of times. The New Mexico is kinda good at T6 I guess but uurgh gently caress playing slow inaccurate battleships. The Ognevoi is super fun though now that it doesn't lose turrets permanently all the time anymore and the Aoba is also cool and good. Last time I played ranked I racked up like 250 battles in the Atago and got to rank... 3? 4? Something like that? Guess it's time to do that again. Or finally grind out the Benson, I guess, since the Amagi seems to have gotten powercreeped out of the meta :effort:

Speaking of the Atago though, what skills do I take for my 16th, 17th and 18th points? I've got basic survivability, expert marksman, superintendent, DE and concealment expert right now - maybe I should've taken AFT instead but eh, I ain't really feelin' it? I rarely see carriers in ranked and the Atago's AA is pretty meh anyway. So, now what? Last stand? Fire prevention? Vigilance?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Aesis posted:

Grinding multiple captain to 15 points is effort. I just finished grinding Montana captain (using Atlanta), and now I need to grind Kurfurst (12 points), Yamato (13 points), Des Moines (14 points), Bismarck (11 points) and North Carolina (14 points) captains :smith:

Thanks to a load of Dragon Flags, Atlanta, Kamikaze R & Molotov I have 18 points Des Moines & Zao captains, and am closing in on an 18 point Khabarovsk captain :smug:

I would have got the Des Moines one anyway since I went through a phase of absolutely loving Atlanta/Des Moines style shenanigans, but the others I wouldn't have got without the Dragon Flags. I actually think it will be easy to get 1-2 more 18 point captains after I finish my Khab. i want to get 18 point Hindenberg & Fletcher captains.

Note for CVs I don't think having an 18 point captain is worth it at all, 16 points is probably all you ever need. I also think Cruisers and DDs gain more from 18 points than BBs. BBs who take a 5 point skill can take 2 x 3-pointers, which are probably Vigilance and Super Intendant. SuperInt only gives +1 Heal on a BB (the plane charge is useless although Germans also gain Hydro) whereas a Cruiser/DD gains 3 from Radar, Heal, Hydro, Def Fire, Smoke.

Des Moines/Zao - BFT, EM, Vigilance, SuperInt, AFT, Concealment Expert
Khab - BFT, Last Stand, Vigilance, AFT, DE, Survivability Expert
Hindenberg - BFT, EM, SuperInt, AFT, Manual AA, DE
Fletcher - BFT, Last Stand, Vigilance, SuperInt, Survivability Expert, Concealment Expert