Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do really enjoy how movies are all now crafted around getting into China, which means no humour chinese people might not get, no topics chinese censors might not like, and always portray China as good and a partner in solving global problems.

They're now filming whole alternate scenes for the chinese release. I guess that's better than just making 1 lovely version of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Milwaukee is three quarters white. It's a lot whiter than the rest of the America

See? It's got minorities just like I said.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Baronjutter posted:

I like and agree with a lot of RLM's various movie opinions but I think they're a bit weird about "racial pandering" or what ever when ever a non-white person is ever in any of the nerd poo poo they like.

I get the point that they're trying to say that the industry is pandering to minorities for money but they say it in the worst ways possible more often than not.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got what they were saying and didn't think any more of it because I don't try to find racism or anything problematic in what people say, I just take it at face value.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

a bone to pick posted:

I got what they were saying and didn't think any more of it because I don't try to find racism or anything problematic in what people say, I just take it at face value.

Look at this wrongthink right here. Expect a scathing tweet about this shortly. Scathing.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

Shut up white man

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not too hot with the overseas audience bashing, because of the very slight hints of yellow peril. It obviously didn't start with RLM; it's been a thing with bro film geeks for a while.

What's a bit weird about Mike is that he's willing to call a movie racist and gets pretty worked up about it (like in all the Adam Sandler reviews), but he's skeptical when other people, like dumb millennials, do it.

I understand Mike's skepticism when Hollywood does diversify (since Hollywood PR loves pretending they're running on goodwill by taking all of the credit and none of the blame when there's an issue). I just don't want Mike to go full South Park.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I do really enjoy how movies are all now crafted around getting into China, which means no humour chinese people might not get, no topics chinese censors might not like, and always portray China as good and a partner in solving global problems.
Yeah all now crafted about getting into China hmm.

Top 4 this summer:

- Finding Dory, a kids' film.
- Captain America: Civil War. China not featured as an ally.
- The Secret Life of Pets, a kids' film.
- Suicide Squad, a film with an otherwise pretty diverse cast that includes no Chinese characters and has not even been shown in China.

Mike did say it was true so it must be, though, eh?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Top 4 what in what category

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
At least fully form your thought dude. All now crafted.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Buschmaki posted:

Top 4 what in what category
I googled it, and it's US numbers, lol.

Here's worldwide:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2016&p=.htm

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Here's worldwide:

:lol:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This youtube channel is racist against chinamen!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paladinus posted:

Here's worldwide:

any of these movies any drat good?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doctorfrog posted:

Captain America was good

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

doctorfrog posted:

#141 was the first good movie I saw scrolling down the list. Certainly nothing in the top 20.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lol how broke-brained and empty-souled can you be to not like zootopia?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

it was okay, relax

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

a bone to pick posted:

Cined hates it because it didn't teach everything they think about communism

I'd like to the times when they ruined the relatively sane and chill animation thread but I'm on a phone
But K waste and smg started crying when people actually tried to enagage with them and someone started talking about how persecuted smh and k waste are by unintellectuals and no one else's posts were worth reading.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'd like to the times when they ruined the relatively sane and chill animation thread but I'm on a phone
But K waste and smg started crying when people actually tried to enagage with them and someone started talking about how persecuted smh and k waste are by unintellectuals and no one else's posts were worth reading.

I was trying to talk about Star Wars in CineD and those dudes wanted me to seriously engage with their theory that Star Wars is a parable about racism and slavery. Here's a summation of the posting in CineD experience

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Are they the kind of idiots who thinks droids are people?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I read some theory that stated "Star Wars is really about slavery if you think of droids as people." but they aren't!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
wait..... we SHOULDNT gently caress our brother??

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Post-username combo extraordinaire.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Buschmaki posted:

I read some theory that stated "Star Wars is really about slavery if you think of droids as people." but they aren't!

Uh even if you think of the droids as people Star Wars is really not about them, they're barely part of it

Like the droids condition as tools never changes ever, and no character thinks about it because they're too busy doing Star Wars

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Star wars universe is pretty hosed up with it's racial caste system, hereditary rulers of a warrior cult having judge dredd like powers over the galaxy, and fully sentient robots treated as property.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Star wars universe is pretty hosed up with it's racial caste system, hereditary rulers of a warrior cult having judge dredd like powers over the galaxy, and fully sentient robots treated as property.

I thought I liked Star Wars until I realized that the only things I liked about it I made up myself

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought I liked Star Wars until I realized I actually only liked the PC game "Tie Fighter" which some how presents a more tonally consistent and polished universe than the movies do.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I knew a dude who refused to see The Force Awakens because the movie hosed with the Expanded Universe and he spent a lot of his youth absorbing it. He actually tried to argue that George Lucas explicitly and carefully poured over everything that came his way and only greenlit the novels and comics that coincided with his vision. I didn't argue back, I just chose not to be friends with that guy because holy gently caress. How joyless of a human being do you have to be to deliberately avoid seeing the first decent Star Wars movie in 30 years.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
star wars discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9ksYF1ZRs

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Those Gennedi shorts were the only decent thing to come out of the prequel trilogy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I like how some are circling the wagons that the reviews of Dr. Strange are praising the score and visuals, you know the two things they complain most about MCU movies?

Turns out that the movie totally just meets bare minimum and that is so mindblowing to critics that they heap overwhelming praise

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As though Doctor Strange's overblown visuals could ever hope to compare with the subtle colour palette of Zack Snyder's groundbreaking endeavours within the DC Cinematic Universe.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Archaic posted:

I knew a dude who refused to see The Force Awakens because the movie hosed with the Expanded Universe and he spent a lot of his youth absorbing it. He actually tried to argue that George Lucas explicitly and carefully poured over everything that came his way and only greenlit the novels and comics that coincided with his vision. I didn't argue back, I just chose not to be friends with that guy because holy gently caress. How joyless of a human being do you have to be to deliberately avoid seeing the first decent Star Wars movie in 30 years.

Movie would have been better if Thrawn was destroying homeworlds because of some flaw in their art.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i only watch movies in 70mm now ever since I saw hateful 8.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

monster on a stick posted:

Movie would have been better if Thrawn was destroying homeworlds because of some flaw in their art.

Thrawn trilogy was actually poo poo so it says a lot about the old EU it was the gold standard of

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine if they tried to make a Shadows of the Empire movie (now) and kept Carrie Fisher.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Imagine if they tried to make a Shadows of the Empire movie (now) and kept Carrie Fisher.

Is that the one where a green dude roofies Leia?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Light Gun Man posted:

They're not mad because there are non white people in the movies, they are mad because (often, now) the only reason there are Asians in the movie are because it will give them some % increased of Chinese sales. It's a calculated sales move, nothing to do with a desire for diversity or an artistic choice. They are independent film makers, they like freedom of creative choice.

i mean, i like donnie yen and all (love me some ip man films), but it really is just a calculated move. he's maybe the biggest name in china. so, of course he's basically playing what looks like a stereotypical blind mystical chinese monk sort. even though i recognise the move for what it is, i hope disney is smart enough to have him go up against vader because otherwise it's just a wasted opportunity.

if they wanted representation that people would be less cynical about, they could cast less well-known actors of asian descent. give them a leg up in hollywood, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's not any different than guys like Tom Cruise being cast to appeal to average white guys. It's all calculated, all of it.

• Locked thread