Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Fun fact: the Scythian heal-on-kill bonus applies to religious units too. I mean, they probably don't need it given the horse economy, but they make pretty mean Apostles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh wow this game crashes a lot.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ran in to a weird bug where I couldn't end my turn because it kept saying a unit needed orders and then... not taking me to a unit in need of those orders. I scanned the board and couldn't find a bored unit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Whatever happened to that thing they kept talking about in the promotional stuff, where a barb scout would find your city and then race back to camp? Best I can tell barb scouts just sort of mill about and try to not get murdered.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone confirmed that the "only the first luxury you get applies period, later copies don't apply to your next four cities" thing is true? Given that later Great Merchants provide two copies of their luxury, for four amenities each, according to their in-game descriptions, it seems like it's meant for more copies to apply rather than be nothing but trading fodder even if you need more.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ran in to a weird bug where I couldn't end my turn because it kept saying a unit needed orders and then... not taking me to a unit in need of those orders. I scanned the board and couldn't find a bored unit.

I think this is in relation to having more trade routes than my government type allows for after switching from a merchant republic to communism

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

Whatever happened to that thing they kept talking about in the promotional stuff, where a barb scout would find your city and then race back to camp?

Don't remember anything like that. But if I saw it I'd probably assume it to be a Murray-ism because lol.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Whatever happened to that thing they kept talking about in the promotional stuff, where a barb scout would find your city and then race back to camp? Best I can tell barb scouts just sort of mill about and try to not get murdered.

It happens, everybody ITT complaining about getting stomped by barbs doesn't try to chase down the scouts. Later on, the barb scouts are so hopelessly outclassed by up to date units that they can't really do the thing anymore.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

Has anyone confirmed that the "only the first luxury you get applies period, later copies don't apply to your next four cities" thing is true? Given that later Great Merchants provide two copies of their luxury, for four amenities each, according to their in-game descriptions, it seems like it's meant for more copies to apply rather than be nothing but trading fodder even if you need more.

There was a reddit post with screenshots confirming that, yes. And why would the manual lie about that?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It happens, everybody ITT complaining about getting stomped by barbs doesn't try to chase down the scouts. Later on, the barb scouts are so hopelessly outclassed by up to date units that they can't really do the thing anymore.

Actually catching a scout is almost impossible though. You basically need to intercept them before they ever see your city. I haven't had much barb trouble personally, but I knew going in that you should to open with a military unit or two.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The secret to dealing with barbs? Build two archers and exeute the Sun-Tzu tier strategy of wining the game with those two archers that was so popular in civ5.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I was just reminded of it, because I started an epic game, and my one eagle warrior was off exploring. Two scouts just came up to my capital, milled about for a few turns and hosed off, and nothing? A completely exposed capital and they didn't do anything at all. Was within the first 20 turns or so, and they were both wounded, I assume from a nearby city state. Playing on King.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Posted some questions a while back, but they got lost in the shuffle:

1. How do some cities end up with way more citizens than housing? I had cities that were like 9/4 for housing by the end of the game.

2. Has anyone figured out why they hide religious information when you try to convert a city? Normally in the religious map lens (or if you click a religious unit) there are those circle graphs that show you the % of the city for each religion, followed by the exact amount of followers. For some reason when you start converting a city with a missionary or apostle, that circle completely disappears, and all that seems to happen is that the little star that represents the Pantheon changes colors. I have no idea what the colors mean, but I think they are an indicator of how close you are to converting it. Then suddenly out of the blue, you convert the city, the circle graph comes back, and you end up having like 5-6 citizens of your religion. Is the circle not being present during the conversion process a glitch or an intended mechanism? Has anyone figured out what the different colors of the Pantheon star indicate yet?

3. For the purposes of buildings or units that give +Naval Movement, do land units like missionaries count as naval units when they are moving across the sea and have boat icons?

4. Is there any way to get missionaries/apostles to move faster? Can you eventually load them into plains or transport naval units? What's the earliest era you can do something to speed them up?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Megasabin posted:

Posted some questions a while back, but they got lost in the shuffle:

1. How do some cities end up with way more citizens than housing? I had cities that were like 9/4 for housing by the end of the game.

Being overcrowded only slows growth, it doesn't stop it entirely. If you have enough food income, your cities can grow anyway. And/or you lost a housing boost at some point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In my last game, I made my first colony on another continent in the atomic era and all the city-states on that continent were basically smoldering rubble, as they had been completely pillaged by barbarian AT Crews. I would have gone in to help them but I couldn't enter their borders because another Civ was their suzerain, so all I could do was shell them from offshore with my battleships

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In my last game, I made my first colony on another continent in the atomic era and all the city-states on that continent were basically smoldering rubble, as they had been completely pillaged by barbarian AT Crews. I would have gone in to help them but I couldn't enter their borders because another Civ was their suzerain, so all I could do was shell them from offshore with my battleships

Literal gunboat diplomacy there.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was just reminded of it, because I started an epic game, and my one eagle warrior was off exploring. Two scouts just came up to my capital, milled about for a few turns and hosed off, and nothing? A completely exposed capital and they didn't do anything at all. Was within the first 20 turns or so, and they were both wounded, I assume from a nearby city state. Playing on King.

If I were to guess, the raids went to whatever city state damaged the scouts

Staltran posted:

Actually catching a scout is almost impossible though. You basically need to intercept them before they ever see your city. I haven't had much barb trouble personally, but I knew going in that you should to open with a military unit or two.

Use your own scouts' zones of control or invest in a horseman

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Idea for a mod: change Pericles' color scheme.

This picture is one turn before the declaration of what I call "The Chameleon War." The siege of Mycenae ended up being the most mis-clicks I've ever made in a civ game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Staltran posted:

There was a reddit post with screenshots confirming that, yes. And why would the manual lie about that?

Well, like I said, the game itself suggests otherwise with its Great Merchants. Given that thing seem to be a bit rough, the manual being wrong didn't seem outside the realm of possibility. Also it doesn't really make sense; if amenities are a per-city thing, and one source of a luxury applies to a certain number of cities, then having more of that luxury should apply to more cities. Making each one only count once seems like a weird holdover from the Civ V system they're otherwise deliberately abandoning here.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I wonder if I'll ever get past the classical age without feeling the need to restart.

Is not founding a religion an option? Or is it something you always want to do?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Roland Jones posted:

Well, like I said, the game itself suggests otherwise with its Great Merchants. Given that thing seem to be a bit rough, the manual being wrong didn't seem outside the realm of possibility. Also it doesn't really make sense; if amenities are a per-city thing, and one source of a luxury applies to a certain number of cities, then having more of that luxury should apply to more cities. Making each one only count once seems like a weird holdover from the Civ V system they're otherwise deliberately abandoning here.

There would have to be diminishing returns on how much each same-type luxury could provide, though, or else there would be no point in getting different types unless you're Montezuma or you need certain tile improvements. Uniform luxuries would cut perhaps 2/3 of all trading.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I wonder if I'll ever get past the classical age without feeling the need to restart.

Is not founding a religion an option? Or is it something you always want to do?

Religion is something you go hard in on or completely ignore, without much middle ground

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm still on my first game, but seems like they hosed religious balance. There's a lot of mechanics that prevent snowballing, but the religious spread is pure snowballing.

Go hard on a mass push to convert the major cities of another religious civ, after that they continue spamming missionaries but now contribute to your victory. What is the condition for religious victory exactly?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zomborgon posted:

There would have to be diminishing returns on how much each same-type luxury could provide, though, or else there would be no point in getting different types unless you're Montezuma or you need certain tile improvements. Uniform luxuries would cut perhaps 2/3 of all trading.

Not really. You'd still need multiple types for each city; you just wouldn't have the strange situation where only four of your twelve cities can benefit from the huge pile of furs or whatever your have for some arbitrary reason. It's fine that each individual city only benefits from a particular type once, that's not what I'm arguing against.

cheetah7071 posted:

Religion is something you go hard in on or completely ignore, without much middle ground

Eh, it's nice for other people too, if you can get it. Like, Jesuit Education is great for people who aren't trying to win the religious game, since you can put all that Faith into other things.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Two more random questions;

If you conquer a city state, do you get their bonus? I'm guessing probably not.

And in my last game, I noticed one of the earlier civics cards was -30% build time for builders. I went looking for it later in the game when I was going to do a big builder push and it was gone. Do cards disappear sometimes?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I like the changes to roads, builders, and trading and I like the eurekas and giving more personality and uniqueness to the great people. Otherwise though this is a very disappointing civ.

Singleplayer
Don't bother, the AI is stupider than ever and just as annoying.
  • The same loving AI leader telling you to get hosed one turn and that he likes you the next -> repeat this cut-scene every year for three thousand years. Kill him and another will gleefully take his place.
  • Unless you are surrounded and fighting three equal tech Civs at once, two archers and a warrior are sufficient to defend your entire civilisation and then take the enemy capital.
  • Your AI allies will wreck your city state allies and you can't do so much as frown at them let alone tell them to knock it off.
  • Luxuries only apply to 4 cities but even friendly AI won't accept 1:1 lux trade. They will still ask you to take your lux for the insane price 1gpt and open borders though, they will ask you this every loving turn and completely ignore your very reasonable offers.

Multiplayer
You are going to need a gentleman's agreement to avoid:
  • Worker exploits
  • Money exploits (lol Scythia selling horses)
  • Players can refuse to cede cities making them worthless to capture

Atmosphere
Remember that awe-inspiring feeling of building or finding a wonder, progressing to a new age? The majestic quotes of previous games are replaced with the oh-so zany and contemporary musings of bored tourists or the game sarcastically mocking your choices.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

Not really. You'd still need multiple types for each city; you just wouldn't have the strange situation where only four of your twelve cities can benefit from the huge pile of furs or whatever your have for some arbitrary reason. It's fine that each individual city only benefits from a particular type once, that's not what I'm arguing against.

Eh, it's nice for other people too, if you can get it. Like, Jesuit Education is great for people who aren't trying to win the religious game, since you can put all that Faith into other things.

My problem with religion if you aren't trying to win with it is that holy sites count against your district limit. Every holy site is one less campus or theater or industrial zone or commercial hub, all of which are in my experience much more generically useful. Maybe Germany can get away with dabbling in religion because it has so many district slots but pretty much nobody else can (unless there's a civ I'm forgetting with a unique holy site).

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do cards disappear sometimes?

Yeah, the most obvious one is that after all the great prophets come and found religions the +prophet great person points card disappears.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sanctum posted:

I'm still on my first game, but seems like they hosed religious balance. There's a lot of mechanics that prevent snowballing, but the religious spread is pure snowballing.

Go hard on a mass push to convert the major cities of another religious civ, after that they continue spamming missionaries but now contribute to your victory. What is the condition for religious victory exactly?

Religious Victory is convert the majority of every other player's citizens to your religion (not sure if it's by pop or by city). And yeah, if you know what you're doing it's pretty easy.

Surprisingly the Scythians are perhaps the easiest since the whole "heal after kills" thing applies even to your religious units.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I had that unit needs orders bug. It was the result of upgrading an infantry unit that had a support ram attached. The ram wanted orders (since the upgrade detached it) but clicking the button wouldn't take me to it.

Has anyone ever seen the AI build a boat? Serious question here. I've only ever seen barb boats.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Not really. You'd still need multiple types for each city; you just wouldn't have the strange situation where only four of your twelve cities can benefit from the huge pile of furs or whatever your have for some arbitrary reason. It's fine that each individual city only benefits from a particular type once, that's not what I'm arguing against

I just went and counted up my ameneties total and the amenities supplied from my empire, its very definitely each amenity only applies once for your empire.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I just realized that units have an extremely small XP bar at the bottom edge of their card. Like, super tiny you may need glasses to see it small. Who designed this UI and why are they still employed?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Krazyface posted:

I had that unit needs orders bug. It was the result of upgrading an infantry unit that had a support ram attached. The ram wanted orders (since the upgrade detached it) but clicking the button wouldn't take me to it.

Has anyone ever seen the AI build a boat? Serious question here. I've only ever seen barb boats.

Yeah, every so often I spot a Galley, sometimes even the first ranged boat whose name escapes me. Honestly the AI uses boats more than I do

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Comstar posted:

From r/civ Firaxis Slowly Losing Ability to Make Small 2D Images

It is now clear this game was released unfinished, Firaxs knows how unfinished it is, and the silence is higher than NoMansSky-levels.

Hyperbolic much?

I work in the video game industry and I've seen far worse //TODO items in code that shipped.
Stuff like //TODO: TOTALLY BROKEN DO NOT SHIP

poo poo like that ships to release all. the. time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheetah7071 posted:

My problem with religion if you aren't trying to win with it is that holy sites count against your district limit. Every holy site is one less campus or theater or industrial zone or commercial hub, all of which are in my experience much more generically useful. Maybe Germany can get away with dabbling in religion because it has so many district slots but pretty much nobody else can (unless there's a civ I'm forgetting with a unique holy site).

Russia has the unique holy site, the Lavra. District thing is a fair point, but an early holy site and/or using the wildcard policy for Great Prophet points can also help get an early religion, which you spread around from one city or something, maybe. Not exactly efficient, admittedly, but doable I think.

Or play Saladin, get your religion guaranteed, and then build it towards making you better at science or something else and use your holy sites as +10% Faith/Science/Culture sources plus whatever other bonuses you want, but, that's a bit civ-specific.

counterfeitsaint posted:

And in my last game, I noticed one of the earlier civics cards was -30% build time for builders. I went looking for it later in the game when I was going to do a big builder push and it was gone. Do cards disappear sometimes?

Certain later civics make earlier ones obsolete, yeah. Like, the ones for earlier wonder production bonuses are made obsolete when you get the ones for later bonuses, same for unit production bonus ones, and of course all the ones that are just straight upgrades get rid of the lesser versions. A few aren't literally just bigger numbers versions of past ones, but pretty much if a civic goes away it's because a better and/or more modern version has replaced it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Roland Jones posted:

Do you think Great Merchants became Great Merchants by hording all their goods?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Efexeye posted:

do any of you play this game without trying to break its systems over your knee? i dunno how you have fun like that but to each their own

Most over the knee breaking thing is Skythia imho.

Sell all the extra units, buy workers and stuff. Sell workers before you use them the third time.

With some of the cheaper units policies, you can rapid charge your expansion with lots of workers, still have an army that wrecks poo poo etc.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The Mac port just dropped.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So, I had a start with tons of jungles. Not sure if I want to do science or culture victory, but both are kinda needed thanks to Eureka moments. I managed to get Chichen Itza, with gives bonus to jungles. That being said, would it be worth it to destroy a jungle tile and get +3 culture adjaceny for my Entertainment district? Will that mess up my campus too much? Also why don't wonders affect Entertainment districts?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Two more random questions;

If you conquer a city state, do you get their bonus? I'm guessing probably not.

1) Nope, it's just a city unless it get liberated.

2) Many cards get obsoleted by better versions. The +30% builder production gets obsoleted when you get a card for +2 actions per builder, and then later on you get a card that gives both bonuses at the same time. The wildcards all get upgraded (+4 GPP instead of +2). The military card that reduces upkeep by 1 gets replaced by one that reduces it by 2. And many more things like that.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

Most over the knee breaking thing is Skythia imho.

Sell all the extra units, buy workers and stuff. Sell workers before you use them the third time.

With some of the cheaper units policies, you can rapid charge your expansion with lots of workers, still have an army that wrecks poo poo etc.

It's kinda crazy that something that obvious to cheese wasn't patched out before release, producing units and selling them then using the gold to buy what you actually want shouldn't be twice as efficient as producing the other thing in the first place, same with selling workers on their last charge and buying fresh workers.

I just feel like allowing you to buy things with gold early opens up a lot of start variance and exploiting, in civ4 it took a late game civic to allow you to buy things with gold.