Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just declared war on myself? :iiam:

I'm Aztec. Greece asks me to joint war India, who could refuse such an offer? A few turns later Greece asks me to declare friendship, which I do. A few turns after that, Greece parks two warriors by my capital and declares a surprise war. But right after his war screen comes up, the Aztec war screen comes up as well. Maybe because I was friends with Greece? The popups on the side say it was actually Cleopatra who was the second declaration, who isn't even on this continent and may or may not be in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If an unmet faction declares on you (because someone asked them to), you get your own leader screen. I haven't experienced this myself, it's just the tentative consensus for now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's kinda crazy that something that obvious to cheese wasn't patched out before release, producing units and selling them then using the gold to buy what you actually want shouldn't be twice as efficient as producing the other thing in the first place, same with selling workers on their last charge and buying fresh workers.

I just feel like allowing you to buy things with gold early opens up a lot of start variance and exploiting, in civ4 it took a late game civic to allow you to buy things with gold.

If only that guy that totally destroyed Beyond Earth had been included in the process for this

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If only that guy that totally destroyed Beyond Earth had been included in the process for this

I hear his tribe didn't want him to be part of the game because their language is sacred.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am hype for the patch that brings Civ 6 up to Civ 5 / Beyond Earth level of functionality.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I just finished a game as China, and it felt really silly to have three Great Writers sitting around in 1850 because I was producing great people faster than I could actually build places to hold the great works.

Gully Foyle posted:

That's honestly been a major issue in every Civ, and probably every 4x game. That point where it is obvious you are going to win, but need to spend a bunch of time actually winning is definitely a downside to the genre. I don't know if it really is possible to fix it. I do sort of miss the environmentalism of certain earlier Civ games, where you would spend time building mass transit, recycling centres, and using workers to reduce pollution. Sure, it was make-work and could be annoying, but it made you feel like you were doing something good while your science victory ticked over.

This sort of stuff is why CK2 and Stellaris both do the 'let's see how everybody deals with a giant doom invasion from off the map' as a standard part of the late game.

Steve2911 posted:

Been playing on Prince difficulty and this is definitely way easier than the equivalent on Civ V. I've always just picked a vague strategy and built up at mostly random in that direction, but the AI doesn't seem to be stopping or trying to outpace me at the moment. At this point of Civ V I felt completely, totally hosed from every angle.

So far to me, the AI seems way, way more competent as soon as you pick a slower speed than Standard, even staying on Prince difficulty level. I'm wondering if it's just that the AI can't deal with the particular ratio of production speed to turns of the Standard speed.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
If only the AI could GG out when you bring 20 proselytizing apostles. My second game became an accidental religious victory, oddly enough. Prince difficulty, since this was only my second game.

I was trying to prevent TR from spreading his vile protestantism, as he only had to convert me to win. Realizing I had something stupid like 25,000 faith in the bank, I built up a few dozen apostles to convert my cities back, and then the buffer cities around me...and then well I still have some left over I guess I'll convert America for kicks and suddenly the 'chievos pop, and the game was over.

It seems like the AI sort of does the same strategy, except they blow their apostle wad too early and end up kinda hosed.

I was a consistent emperor player in V, for those that are playing on higher difficulties, how significant is the bump after Prince? After an embarrassing loss due to score my first game, the subsequent three have felt pretty easy.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Am I supposed to be building districts ASAP?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Yes.

In your first city you should churn out some units and settlers first, but yes. Especially when you can build your unique district/industrial zones

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
This would explain why I feel so far behind when I haven't made any for the first 100 turns. I also still can't figure out where good places to found new cities because thinking is hard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Asproigerosis posted:

This would explain why I feel so far behind when I haven't made any for the first 100 turns. I also still can't figure out where good places to found new cities because thinking is hard.

By a source of freshwater if possible, at least until you have extra sources of housing; the early Housing limit without a source of fresh water is terrible. There are some times you might settle elsewhere, but generally, you want freshwater.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also, for the longest time I thought the little red house in the city name on the map meant that the city was at its housing limit, but that's not actually what it means. That means it doesn't have a source of fresh water, either from when you built the city or from an aqueduct.

There actually isn't an easy way to tell from the map when a city is at its housing limit, you have to click on it and then read the toolbar at the bottom

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm incredibly entertained by the fact that I could launch a successful Moon Landing without having discovered: Steel, Plastic, or combustion.

:shepface:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Asproigerosis posted:

Fresh water trumps everything else (bright green areas). Following that, luxuries (if you need amenities), then +production.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fintilgin posted:

I'm incredibly entertained by the fact that I could launch a successful Moon Landing without having discovered: Steel, Plastic, or combustion.

the world's biggest slingshot

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Magnetic propulsion?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I believe there is a Harry Turtledove story based on this very premise

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

At least until a patch changes it, also keep in mind that placing a District for building locks in its cost at that time, even if you switch away, so it's to your advantage to put down whatever district(s) you can as soon as you have the techs and space for them and just let them sit if you've got more pressing plans for production.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Holy HELL how do I check what deals I've made with the AI? Harald is being a MASSIVE TOOL and standing right on my incomplete wonder that I can't rush because my Great Engineer can't be on the spot with him. I have NO WAY of knowing how many more turns this will go on for and I have no way of canceling any of it. This is so infuriating.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also, for the longest time I thought the little red house in the city name on the map meant that the city was at its housing limit, but that's not actually what it means. That means it doesn't have a source of fresh water, either from when you built the city or from an aqueduct.

There actually isn't an easy way to tell from the map when a city is at its housing limit, you have to click on it and then read the toolbar at the bottom

You actually had it right the first time. Cities built on the coast get +2 housing, cities on a lake get +4, and cities on a river or with an aquaduct get +6. Those don't stack, but I believe an aquaduct will give +2 if you're on a river.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I'm saying the red house icon is a signal about the city's water status, which most players know when they built the city and changes once, if at all, so why is it taking up so much UI space?

Meanwhile, the city's population-housing ratio, which changes throughout the game many times and is important to negotiate, is not immediately visible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Rivers > Lake > on the coast >= nothing. Ideally it would be near some luxuries(or strategic resources if you need them) as well.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Did anybody else just have their steam version update?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

You actually had it right the first time. Cities built on the coast get +2 housing, cities on a lake get +4, and cities on a river or with an aquaduct get +6. Those don't stack, but I believe an aquaduct will give +2 if you're on a river.

Not quite. Base city housing is 2, saltwater brings it to 3 (+1), and freshwater, lake or river, brings it to 5 (+3). Aqueducts either bring the city to freshwater levels if you don't have freshwater already, or give you +2 if you already have freshwater in that city.

However, rivers also enable waterwheels, which are nice.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, if you see a location with a bunch of wheat/rice then try to settle on a river if at all possible. Water Mills become absurd with the Farm adjacency bonuses for wheat/rice.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FisheyStix posted:

Did anybody else just have their steam version update?

1 GB patch looks like?

Good turnaround time by Firaxis if so

edit: reddit claims it's just the OST

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

990 megabytes of new quote recordings, hopefully

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

990 megabytes of new quote recordings, hopefully

Angkor Wat
"Very good place~ nice food great taste and the owner is very friendly! They even have vegetarian menu for your choice! Would love to come here again!" - Woof K.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I have one archeologist then he vanishes, and I can't seem to build any more. I'd assume you need to have the right kind of museum or a university in the city, but nope.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I'm saying the red house icon is a signal about the city's water status, which most players know when they built the city and changes once, if at all, so why is it taking up so much UI space?

Reread what I said, the red house is not about water, but by having water you have more housing which is why it went away.

Roland Jones posted:

Not quite. Base city housing is 2, saltwater brings it to 3 (+1), and freshwater, lake or river, brings it to 5 (+3). Aqueducts either bring the city to freshwater levels if you don't have freshwater already, or give you +2 if you already have freshwater in that city.

Makes sense, my main point was that his first instinct was right, the red house was because he was at/near the housing cap. Settling on water will increase your starting housing so you won't see the warning right away.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 25, 2016

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

twistedmentat posted:

So I have one archeologist then he vanishes, and I can't seem to build any more. I'd assume you need to have the right kind of museum or a university in the city, but nope.

This just happened to me, too. I have no idea where he went :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is.there a fix for leader animation screens not animating? Game runs fine and progresses normally, but the leaders just sit there frozen, dont mom during diplo screen. Is there a setting to change?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In a culture district, you can make either a building for artifacts, or one for great works. If you build the artifact museum, that city can produce an archaeologist, who has has 3 charges in all but name. He will survive until he has filled his city's museum (it can't trade artifacts until it's full), then disappear.

Also Leader Animations is a setting. I believe it's under Leader Animation graphical quality, you can just set it to off. I'd recommend you leave it like that, honestly, it saves you waiting for their animations to play out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Reread what I said, the red house is not about water, but by having water you have more housing which is why it went away.

Yes, but my point was that the red house doesn't communicate anything about the population-housing ratio unless it is specifically "You could build an aqueduct here". A city that is near its housing cap but has an aqueduct will not have a red house, when many people might think "Hey, city growth slowing to a crawl might be important." It pops up in the sidebar messages but there are so many garbage popups that it becomes easy to tune them out.

Edit: Also a city that is way below its housing cap (because you built a Neighborhood) but does not have an aqueduct will still have a red house. This is all I am saying

Edit 2: OK, I am going to leave the above up there, but it looks like I am wrong. The thing that confused me is when when a city is one-under or equal to its housing cap, it doesn't get the red house even though its growth is already seriously crippled. It only appears when you go over

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 25, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jastiger posted:

Is.there a fix for leader animation screens not animating? Game runs fine and progresses normally, but the leaders just sit there frozen, dont mom during diplo screen. Is there a setting to change?

Check in graphics - my leaders were set to still by default. I ended up switching them back to still anyway, because I can't be arsed sitting through their animations when they want to whinge at me.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
For as much as was made about Civ 6 leaders being more animated and goofy and such I'm really underwhelmed by most of them. Philip and Victoria are cool but the rest are very self-contained. Peter is absolutely infuriating and I DOW him every time because I can't stand his hand-wringing simpering or his unfounded snobbishness.

I liked much better Alexander riding up on a horse to taunt you smugly or Montezuma gesticulating above his brazier or Boudicca slamming her sword into the cart or Kamehameha and his fantastic hat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Krazyface posted:

In a culture district, you can make either a building for artifacts, or one for great works. If you build the artifact museum, that city can produce an archaeologist, who has has 3 charges in all but name. He will survive until he has filled his city's museum (it can't trade artifacts until it's full), then disappear.

Also Leader Animations is a setting. I believe it's under Leader Animation graphical quality, you can just set it to off. I'd recommend you leave it like that, honestly, it saves you waiting for their animations to play out.

I have 3 archeological museums, and only got 1 archeologist.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Come on Catherine :effort:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I have 3 archeological museums, and only got 1 archeologist.

Are you trying to build them from the cities with the museums? You can't build all 3 from one city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Super Jay Mann posted:

Are you trying to build them from the cities with the museums? You can't build all 3 from one city.

Yea, I have 3 separate cities with the museums, and it isn't even an option.