Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

My Linux Rig posted:

I made the mistake of talking about politics at work and someone brought up the whole bill Clinton amusing women and Hillary covering up for it. Does that seriously have any truth to it or is it just more conservative conspiracy crap?

Any part that would affect people's opinions is made up, the truth is exceptionally mundane.

Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary while he was in the White House, however it was entirely consensual and has been researched to death. Hillary thanked one of his accusers (presumably without knowing who she was) at a rally two decades ago, and the accuser thought it was a threat or something. None of this has happened since Bill left office 16 years ago.

It has been looked at from every conceivable angle and the only ones where it is bad are imaginary angles created from the lie dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

That's why I like idaho. Unless you're a 90yr old Grandma, no one really gets too huffy over political beliefs because it's assumed everyone is packing.

Trick question, theres no reason to like idaho.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

People worrying about increases in Obamacare premiums, but the most I've ever paid is $1 for prescription refills? Oh yeah, I'm well below the poverty line :smuggo:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

vyelkin posted:

Yeah Bill Clinton was pretty amusing, weird that Hillary tried to hide it though

Ugh sorry, I meant abusing. Guess my iPhone doesn't believe it either.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm more curious what the gently caress the "american delta party" is.
TOGA! TOGA!

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels (this is very much ethics for dummies but it's so well written and is largely responsible for my ceasing to be a lovely FYGM adolescent libertarian)

Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol (old but still relevant explanation of how turbofucked American public education is and how it has and continues to destroy the lives of anyone who wasn't born upper middle class or better)

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stereotype posted:

Any part that would affect people's opinions is made up, the truth is exceptionally mundane.

Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary while he was in the White House, however it was entirely consensual and has been researched to death. Hillary thanked one of his accusers (presumably without knowing who she was) at a rally two decades ago, and the accuser thought it was a threat or something. None of this has happened since Bill left office 16 years ago.

It has been looked at from every conceivable angle and the only ones where it is bad are imaginary angles created from the lie dimension.

That's what it's about? Do conservative witch hunts ever die?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
How many people do you think are at a GOTV event for Trump in Utah?

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/790735755479965696

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tom Guycot posted:

Idaho has a ridiculously low cost of living and outdoorsy stuff here owns so gently caress you.

please move here and vote Democratic

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/24/inside-donald-trump-s-one-stop-parties-attendees-recall-cocaine-and-very-young-models.html

Daily Beast is reporting that Trump used to have cocaine parties and bang underage girls.

Not sure this is going to go anywhere without one of the girls coming forward and copping to blowing Donald when she was 14.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stereotype posted:

Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary while he was in the White House, however it was entirely consensual and has been researched to death. Hillary thanked one of his accusers (presumably without knowing who she was) at a rally two decades ago, and the accuser thought it was a threat or something.

Also, that particular accuser denied, under oath, that she had been assaulted or raped, even given the perfect opportunity to really hurt Clinton legally, when he was being impeached or whatever.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.
serious answer for contemporary era:
brief history of neoliberalism David Harvey

the consequences of modernity Anthony giddens

the gulf war did not take place Jean baudrillard.

All are fairly short.

e: if it's a mount Rushmore and there's a bonus choice, jihad vs. McWorld by Ben barber is also a pro-click

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 25, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

clockwork chaos posted:

People worrying about increases in Obamacare premiums, but the most I've ever paid is $1 for prescription refills? Oh yeah, I'm well below the poverty line :smuggo:

When I was on my parents plan before Obamacare, I had to pay $300 for prescription refills. After Obamacare, I was able to get my own better plan and now the same refills are only $20.

Thanks Obamacare!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why didn't Obamacare stop that?

edit: just realized this might sound like "concern trolling", but it's a serious question. I know Obamacare did a lot of good things, but why did it fail to control costs? Does it have measure to try to do that that don't go far enough?

The ACA primarily worked to improve access to health insurance and fix some of the perverse incentives and bad deals in the industry. It did a lot of that pretty well.. The problem is, that fact was over shadowed by the idea that healthcare was just so expensive in the US because all the money was vanishing into the profits of the insurance companies. This idea was a myth, and easily shown as so at the time, but it was deeply believed by many supporters to the point where people saying otherwise were frequently branded as Republican concern trolls.

I mean, it still made a lot of good reforms, but but it wasn't ever a law focused on reining in costs. Though one of the main improvements is that it cracked down on cheap insurance that doesn't actually cover anything, so at least you get health care for your premiums.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nenonen posted:

TOGA! TOGA!

Dang, I need to change my vote.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/24/inside-donald-trump-s-one-stop-parties-attendees-recall-cocaine-and-very-young-models.html

Daily Beast is reporting that Trump used to have cocaine parties and bang underage girls.

Not sure this is going to go anywhere without one of the girls coming forward and copping to blowing Donald when she was 14.

I guess when he kept saying to 10 year olds he'd be dating them a few years, he really meant it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/790718688190164992
https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/790735100015054849

(According to Slate Action, Dallas went O+12... and Harris O+0.08)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Night10194 posted:

Oh christ, I mostly knew him from Darkest Dungeons and Moon God and his hilarious Blaxploitation comic.

Wow. That's way worse than Death Cookie.

I feel an incredible amount of anger over people like Chick so violently and disgustingly twisting religion in this sort of way. I'm an atheist, but I have a great belief in the value and importance of redemption and that pretty much everyone should, if they wish to attempt it, have the right to try and redeem themselves if circumstances allow it. It isn't up to me to dictate what that takes for any given individual, but I can surely say it's something that takes a huge amount of reflection, effort, and hard work. It isn't something that everyone gets a chance at, and even if you do it, not everyone will forgive you, and that is part of it all. My dad molested me when I was a kid and I doubt I could have ever forgiven him; but had he not drank himself to death, I could not in good conscience say he shouldn't have been allowed to try to appreciate the depths of what he did, and to try and find some way to redeem himself and make up for it.

And that is a powerful, deeply moving theme in many religions. If it helps a person who truly wants to do good, to be better, then more power to them! That's wonderful and I heartily applaud any work a religious institution or individual does to help people seeking that path, even if I might find a different one myself. But then you get to fuckers like Jack Chick, who act as though you can kneel down, say a prayer, and not only be wholly redeemed but have a switch flipped that turns you from a person who rapes and pimps out your own daughter into a good, decent father. That should be offensive to basically anyone and everyone, the religious most of all. In religion any serious effort at redemption is taken to involve much prayer and contemplation, yes, but it also tends to involve a great deal of temporal matters as well, whether that is good works, seeking forgiveness from your victim, confessing in a court of law and serving your time, etc. etc.. Most people who could reasonably be called redeemed are the sort of guy who has, for example, spent 40 years in prison for a crime committed aged 17, and has spent that time obeying the rules, studying, working to improve the prison library's stock, helping other prisoners, etc. etc., not just falling to his knees and invoking the name of Christ the King to attain immediate absolution. Chick's bullshit demeans religions who work hard to help sinners, he demeans people who have worked sincerely to redeem themselves, and he demeans victims by implying we should forgive as easily and readily as God and that our suffering can be erased with some prayer.

I guess the short version is that redemption, whatever that might be (I realize it's something of a trickier thing to describe it in secular terms but I'm too tired to get into that right now), requires a secular or at least temporal aspect as well as a spiritual one, even if you are religious.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

My Linux Rig posted:

That's what it's about? Do conservative witch hunts ever die?

No they don't.

Example: anything conservatives seem to care about.

Trump brought up loving Solyndra during a debate. Conservatives think that no one is talking about their idiot topic de' jour because it has been forgotten instead of that it is pointless or wrong and not worth caring about.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

That's why I like idaho. Unless you're a 90yr old Grandma, no one really gets too huffy over political beliefs because it's assumed everyone is packing.

Ha ha, what the gently caress are you talking about? If I ever brought my views up in Boise, the best outcome would be a glare. And that's Boise, the (almost) blue part of the state.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Tom Guycot posted:

Readily researchable demographics and primary rules, a complete lack of polling in the 2012 republican primary, and intrade still being a thing mean that Idaho will always have a fond place in my heart.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
In terms of influential books-my dad minored in photography in college, and had a ton of photojournalism books and magazines from the sixties and seventies that he'd acquired, as well as a bunch of leftist publications from the time. My parents didn't really care what book I was reading, just as long as I was reading, so between that and the feminist lit my mom had laying around from her stint at Planned Parenthood, my views were set pretty early. Hippie parents own except that I had to take homeopathic medicine as a child

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

early voting has been insane in TX today. 1hr lines at my local fiesta (cheap supermarket). It's funny that in the third party discussion a few days ago, someone said that voting dem is like pissing into the wind in Texas anyway so who cares. Texas could very well turn blue.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Dunno if they would be the most influential since they're both relatively recent but The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better For Everyone by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett and Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea by Mark Blyth are both really good.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People keep hand wringing about Democrats not voting since Hillary has it in the bag, but there are enough Red states that might go Blue where Democrats who normally wouldn't care are going to be SUPER EXCITED since they might win for once in their lives.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
When you really get a deplorable all worked up they'll drop ACORN.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Stereotype posted:

No they don't.

Example: anything conservatives seem to care about.

Trump brought up loving Solyndra during a debate.

Better example: prayer in public schools.

The SCOTUS decisions they they bellyache about happened in 1962 and 1963, yet the religious right will talk about it as if it happened yesterday.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

We have an upcoming rape trial where the victim lost her virginity to Donald.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mister Adequate posted:

I guess the short version is that redemption, whatever that might be (I realize it's something of a trickier thing to describe it in secular terms but I'm too tired to get into that right now), requires a secular or at least temporal aspect as well as a spiritual one, even if you are religious.

Most (all?) reasonable forms of Christianity require works in addition to faith to guarantee salvation (or at least say that works are evidence of genuine faith, such that one who does not do good works cannot truly have faith). While Protestantism may have had its roots in a justified reaction to the excesses of the Catholic Church, the form that it's taken in America in the centuries since is deeply troubling.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Linux Rig posted:

Ha ha, what the gently caress are you talking about? If I ever brought my views up in Boise, the best outcome would be a glare. And that's Boise, the (almost) blue part of the state.

Latah County's the bluest part.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They still talk about the IRS targeting republican political groups. (It was shown that the IRS targeted more liberal groups)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
3 Books list:

Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without A Country.

Dorothy Day, Loaves and Fishes: The Inspiring Story of the Catholic Worker Movement

And the last slot just get's filled up with a lot of comics and "greater good" entertainment.

Really though my mom's side of the family is part of the DC machine so a lot of my early political formative events center around the fact that my aunts were vaguely high up in the DNC.

Crain fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 25, 2016

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

straight up brolic posted:

early voting has been insane in TX today. 1hr lines at my local fiesta (cheap supermarket). It's funny that in the third party discussion a few days ago, someone said that voting dem is like pissing into the wind in Texas anyway so who cares. Texas could very well turn blue.

I'm trying really hard to keep a clear head, but it seriously might be happening.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well we are at the end of Monday and all of the main headlines for the major news networks are about how well Clinton is doing/how she is going after down ballot Republicans. Good sign for a favorable news cycle this week. Goes without saying how bad that is for Trump.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Stacks fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 25, 2016

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why didn't Obamacare stop that?

edit: just realized this might sound like "concern trolling", but it's a serious question. I know Obamacare did a lot of good things, but why did it fail to control costs? Does it have measure to try to do that that don't go far enough?

Because nothing in Obamacare was really structured to reduce costs. Conservatives blocked any measures that might actually do that via single-payer collective bargaining/legislating transparency in medical pricing/etc, and so all we got was improvement in access, and of course if more sick people are covered prices are going to have upward pressure on them due to that, which you try to maybe cover by mandating more fees be paid in. Ragging on "obamacare" for not reducing prices is basically just disingenuous BS like blaming the space shuttle for not being a good heavy lift vehicle or something.

Healthcare spending is the result of private for-profit industry realizing they can literally charge whatever they want when they have your health hostage and there's close to 0 transparency about what they're charging you until long after you've received treatment, and the ridiculously disfunctional Republicans having nothing to do with a productive discussion about how you deal with that.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 25, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

I managed to get in and out of the early voting polls early this morning. I was expecting longer lines, but I'm guessing that Dallas County has enough early voting places and staff that things ran smoothly at that time.

But yeah, I just shared that MSN screenshot on Facebook and people have been going wild about it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stacks posted:

I caved.

Don't let the little guy down Hillary

Hey this is for everyone: check local laws for pictures in the poll booth. You can get in serious trouble in some states.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stacks posted:

I caved.

Don't let the little guy down Hillary

http://www.dmlp.org/state-law-documenting-vote-2012

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014