Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shadow Hog posted:

Is that on a Japanese auction site or something? On eBay it seems to have settled around $180-200 CIB w/ spine, with the lone disc-only copy I saw being $150.

Yup, although Ebay prices occasionally dip into that territory. It's the MSX Metal Gear effect where the game is actually kinda common but it's on so many "expensive good game" lists people think it'll sell easily for $200+.

You'll find Metal Gear on Ebay and Yahoo Auctions at like $400 CIB, but no one buys it for that price if they know what's up. Just gotta be patient and look for actual auctions and not BIN prices.

Sapphire's similar, but it's actually rare and expensive so CIB ranges from $500-$1000 now and patience isn't gonna get you far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

On the topic of CD-based consoles: MAN am I glad people stopped sharing the games as the data section as a bin plus the cd audio in a bunch of crappy mp3s, that you had to put back together yourself.

Loosely related: I loved PlayStation and PC games that had redbook audio. I discovered Type O Negative through Descent II that way when I was nine.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a reasonably priced option for the cover for the turbo everdrive? Stoneagegamer wants like $30.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone have a reasonably priced option for the cover for the turbo everdrive? Stoneagegamer wants like $30.

You can use a old PCMCIA card case for storage. And if you're using a Duo, it's covered by the lid when plugged in anyways.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Is the NES 'dogbone' controller worth getting? I am buying a rgb/multi-out NES 2 from Monitor Burn as it not much more then modding my NES...plus I always wanted to get a NES 2 again after having one as a kid. But I forgot it had a new style controller, which Monitorburn didn't have any.

They seem to go for 30 for real ones and 8 for knockoff.

Slight tangent, but now I kinda hope they make Dogbone controllers for the NES Mini.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Monopthalmus posted:

You can use a old PCMCIA card case for storage. And if you're using a Duo, it's covered by the lid when plugged in anyways.

Right, but my main concern is having the ED out when I'm using the CD portion on the Duo.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Mine came with one straight from Krikzz. If you already have it you might want to email asking if you can buy just the cover.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
The Wii-U's library has reminded me about some of what I missed growing up as a Sega kid, and thought it would be fun to share some retrogaming confessions.

I've never beaten an NES/SNES Mario game.

The only Final Fantasy game I ever beat was Final Fantasy 8, which I liked, up until this year when I played through 6. Haven't so much as booted any others.

The only Deus Ex game I've played is Invisible War. I also liked it but I think I'm the only person on the internet who did.

I've never played a Zelda game longer than half an hour or so. This is the one I'd most like to remedy, as Breath of the Wild looks like something I'd enjoy. Where in the series is best to start? I'm thinking Zelda DX for GBC looks like a good place personally.

What are your confessions?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Miles McCloud posted:

I've never played a Zelda game longer than half an hour or so. This is the one I'd most like to remedy, as Breath of the Wild looks like something I'd enjoy. Where in the series is best to start? I'm thinking Zelda DX for GBC looks like a good place personally.

Start with A Link to the Past, I think it represents Zelda in it's purest form.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Miles McCloud posted:

Beat Super Mario Bros.; it's short and fairly easy (well, compared to most NES platformers, anyway).

Miles McCloud posted:

It's a very good place to start - it's where I started, personally. Probably my favorite in the series, too.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Miles McCloud posted:

The Wii-U's library has reminded me about some of what I missed growing up as a Sega kid, and thought it would be fun to share some retrogaming confessions.

Play SMS Golden Axe Warrior instead of NES Zelda.

But as previously mentioned, SNES Zelda LTTP is great.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SnatchRabbit posted:

Right, but my main concern is having the ED out when I'm using the CD portion on the Duo.

You don't have to. Just put the Super System Card rom on your ED. PROFIT. Hell, try putting the Arcade Card on it and see what happens. And the CDROM 2 for the games that do stuff if you have that on instead of the Super as it wants..

Sadly Tennokoe Bank doesn't work so no hard save data.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
The original Zelda is always a good place to start. Some people don't appreciate it as much after playing later ones, so I'd just start there. A Link to the Past is great as well. I'd recommend one of those two first.

OG Zelda, LttP, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are all amazing and pretty easy to get into for the series. Majoras Mask is great as well, but I wouldn't suggest it as a first Zelda game because it isn't representative of the series.

Link's Awakening is fine to start with as well, but I'd go with a console game first.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Miles McCloud posted:

Okay, so ignore the 3D games.

The best game in the series is A Link to the Past. It's essentially the took the barebones of the NES games and laid out what the series would be. If you're just going to dive in and play a Zelda game, that's the place to start. That said, if you want to experience the series, then the first game is still pretty good. Zelda 2, OTOH, is a really huge misstep with some serious game play issues that is only defended by the mad (you can safely ignore anyone who replies to this post claiming Zelda 2 is actually good :v: ).

The portable games are generally good with Link's Awakening essentially being a scaled down version of Link to the Past. The Oracle games are fun and I personally don't care for Minish Cap. The DS games are to be avoided, but if you want a recent good Zelda game the 3DS game, A Link Between Worlds, is terrific.

As for your other gaps, you're not missing much by not playing Final Fantasy, especially if you're older than 15. Just about all Mario platform game are really good, but if you don't like platformers then I can understand how you'd never finish one. And as for your terrible opinions on Deus Ex, I'm just going to attribute that to never playing the original (did you know ever time you bring up the original Deus Ex on the Internet, someone reinstalls it and plays it again?).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I think Minish cap is great and prefer it over the other portables short A Link Between World's.. and maybe Oracle of Ages as well.

I personally prefer the original, OoT and WindWaker over LttP, but I get why people label LttP as their favorite.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Captain Rufus posted:

Sadly Tennokoe Bank doesn't work so no hard save data.

What's the deal with these? I've bought a couple actual ones in the past and they've only ever half-booted into a glitch screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Charles Get-Out posted:

What's the deal with these? I've bought a couple actual ones in the past and they've only ever half-booted into a glitch screen.

Batteries probably died.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I opened one of them and replaced the battery, still didn't work. I just assumed it was a problem with my Duo cause it's a doujindance modded one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

the PCB I found at MAK which is dodonpachi, my big purchase of the trip, 88,000yen which is quite a bit less than the ebay scalpers sell it for

I know it doesn't mean much coming from me, but you have no idea how proud of you I am.

Zonekeeper posted:

I don't like the body of the controller or the angle the A/B buttons are at

This. It's a lot easier to play Nintendo games by holding your thumb over A+B (Y+B for SNES), using the tip for B and the inside knuckle for A, but the slant on the dogbone makes this impossible to do comfortably. I had the same problem with certain games on Wii VC that didn't allow remapping of the buttons.

Miles McCloud posted:

My first console was an Atari 7800 in 1987. The NES was right next to it on the shelf. My mom said I could have more games if I chose the Atari, since they were cheaper. Mistakes were made. I did get an NES later, thankfully.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Miles McCloud posted:

LTTP or Zelda DX are probably the best places to start, yeah. LTTP is way more vibrant and interesting but also more complex, so maybe start DX and then if you get bored swap to LTTP?

Honestly Zelda 1 & 2 are probably not worth getting into by this point if you haven't already. I love them and people will defend them forever for being the originals, but... yeah. Just LTTP instead, and then move on to even bigger and better games.

2D Must Play - Link To The Past, Oracle of Ages/Seasons

3D Must Play - Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker

everything else should come after that.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miles McCloud posted:

Go and get Super Mario World in your life, like pronto. Holds up incredibly well.

quote:

The only Final Fantasy game I ever beat was Final Fantasy 8, which I liked, up until this year when I played through 6. Haven't so much as booted any others.

FF4 is really good but may be hard to go to after playing 6 first. Still incredibly worth it though, it's probably my favorite, and still looks pretty good, just not as gorgeous as 6.

quote:

The only Deus Ex game I've played is Invisible War. I also liked it but I think I'm the only person on the internet who did.

Oh dear god :ohdear: Play DX1, it's amazing. Then Human Revolution, also very good. No idea about the new one, not a fan of the microtransaction stuff I've heard, but if that can be ignored I might give it a shot.

quote:

I like emulators :unsmigghh:

I own a Steel Battalion setup - in fantastic shape - and I have never used it.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Ofecks posted:

This. It's a lot easier to play Nintendo games by holding your thumb over A+B (Y+B for SNES), using the tip for B and the inside knuckle for A, but the slant on the dogbone makes this impossible to do comfortably
I got a GBA Everdrive recently and love playing it on my Game Boy Player and DS Lite, but I feel like Nintendo kinda hosed up by labeling the comfortable thumb-resting position on the SNES controller B+Y and not A+B. Designing a controller such that Mario jumps with the B button seems like a very un-Nintendo-like decision, in hindsight.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the all the Zelda advice! Just to give it a fair shake I think I'll give the first NES title an hour or so of playtime first, then unless it's really grabbed me move on. I'll start in earnest with Link's Awakening and then move onto Link to the Past, followed by the N64 games.

I really do like Mario and have played the heck out of the original Gameboy titles, which was the only Nintendo system I had growing up. I just never got around to playing the originals all the way through, something I plan to fix someday.

It's kind of funny, as my wife had the exact opposite childhood and played all the games I missed, while never even hearing of the titles I played on my Sega systems. It's an interesting byproduct of all the console exclusivity of the 80s and 90s, something that I don't think exists at the same level for kids growing up today.

Random Stranger posted:

you're not missing much by not playing Final Fantasy, especially if you're older than 15.

I was in highschool when I played through FFVIII, and I think I was their target demographic. I really did like VI though, and if I do play another Final Fantasy it'll probably be the PSP version of IV.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

I own a Steel Battalion setup - in fantastic shape - and I have never used it.

You haven't lived until you've not ejected in time.

Miles McCloud posted:

I was in highschool when I played through FFVIII, and I think I was their target demographic. I really did like VI though, and if I do play another Final Fantasy it'll probably be the PSP version of IV.

The PSP version is the best version of IV, though I will say that the additional campaigns really aren't worth the effort to play them even if you do wind up loving FF4.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is this the right place to talk about devices like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Android-Cons...HV1B6NP9Z671H0A

I already have the GPX XD which works ok but the drat thing doesn't wake from sleep.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sure, emulation talk isn't taboo or anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sure, emulation talk isn't taboo or anything.

OK I just wanted to make sure.

So are any of these devices worth a drat? The GPX is pretty good and it runs a lot of stuff but its just not quite there. That one I linked seems like it would be perfect but some of the reviews aren't kind.

So which of these Android handhelds are worth it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

So are any of these devices worth a drat? The GPX is pretty good and it runs a lot of stuff but its just not quite there. That one I linked seems like it would be perfect but some of the reviews aren't kind.

I have no experience with the no name ones myself, but I'm sure some here will pitch the Nvidia Shield or something similar.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have no experience with the no name ones myself, but I'm sure some here will pitch the Nvidia Shield or something similar.

Yeah I haven't looked into The shield but I figured it would be the more expensive option.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MarcusSA posted:

I know someone who has one of those and they say it's fine, though they don't like the analog stick placement too much. However, they really bought it to play NES/SNES/Genesis for which it works great, so they don't care too much.

There's also this which is about the same system on a chip, screen, and all that, except since it's a GBA SP style folding design, your hands that have to be so far apart, and the analog sticks are nicer positioned: http://www.gpdxd.com/product/gpd-xd-gamepad-black-16g/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

I know someone who has one of those and they say it's fine, though they don't like the analog stick placement too much. However, they really bought it to play NES/SNES/Genesis for which it works great, so they don't care too much.

There's also this which is about the same system on a chip, screen, and all that, except since it's a GBA SP style folding design, your hands that have to be so far apart, and the analog sticks are nicer positioned: http://www.gpdxd.com/product/gpd-xd-gamepad-black-16g/

What in the world.. :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miles McCloud posted:

Thanks for the all the Zelda advice! Just to give it a fair shake I think I'll give the first NES title an hour or so of playtime first, then unless it's really grabbed me move on. I'll start in earnest with Link's Awakening and then move onto Link to the Past, followed by the N64 games.

I really do like Mario and have played the heck out of the original Gameboy titles, which was the only Nintendo system I had growing up. I just never got around to playing the originals all the way through, something I plan to fix someday.

It's kind of funny, as my wife had the exact opposite childhood and played all the games I missed, while never even hearing of the titles I played on my Sega systems. It's an interesting byproduct of all the console exclusivity of the 80s and 90s, something that I don't think exists at the same level for kids growing up today.

Wait, you married someone who was a Sega kid in the 90's? You have disgraced the Retrogames thread and your honor as a Nintendo Warrior. Turn in your powerglove and leave the thread in disgrace! :colbert:

I actually recommend getting the 3DS versions of the N64 games, they're generally much better versions. Starfox too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

Oh yeah that's the exact one I have. I like it but it doesn't wake from sleep or I can't figure out how to make it wake. Besides that it works pretty drat well. The screen is super nice too. All the reviews say it runs dreamcast games pretty well even.

I was just curious if there were a better option out there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah that's the exact one I have. I like it but it doesn't wake from sleep or I can't figure out how to make it wake. Besides that it works pretty drat well. The screen is super nice too. All the reviews say it runs dreamcast games pretty well even.

I was just curious if there were a better option out there.

Ah sorry, you said GPX XD so I just assumed it was a different company from the GPD XD, because frankly that's exactly the sort of stunt these devices do. :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

D is coming to Steam...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/510590/

Dunno if it's just a repackaged DOSBox jobber though...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 25, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Always fascinated by this game. Glad I'll finally get to try it.

Edit: same Vancouver studio releasing D is remastering the original system shock http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

Housh fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 25, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's just going to be the same ISO in Dosbox like it is on GOG. They totally lost the source files years ago, so your best way to play is on the Saturn with an interlaced display honestly.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, you married someone who was a Sega kid in the 90's? You have disgraced the Retrogames thread and your honor as a Nintendo Warrior. Turn in your powerglove and leave the thread in disgrace! :colbert:

Haha, actually I'm the Sega kid, I didn't own a Nintendo system besides a Gameboy until I picked up an N64 right at the end of its run. Didn't own an NES or SNES (or Playstation) until I got married.

Now I get to explore the libraries I missed as a kid, which is actually pretty awesome.

She was also a Marvel fan but I grew up DC, so we're some sort of nerd marriage alliance.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

FireMrshlBill posted:

The original Zelda is always a good place to start. Some people don't appreciate it as much after playing later ones, so I'd just start there. A Link to the Past is great as well. I'd recommend one of those two first.

OG Zelda, LttP, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are all amazing and pretty easy to get into for the series. Majoras Mask is great as well, but I wouldn't suggest it as a first Zelda game because it isn't representative of the series.

Link's Awakening is fine to start with as well, but I'd go with a console game first.

Link's Awakening is easily my favorite Zelda game, but you're probably right in recommending that someone play the original or A Link to the Past as an introduction.

Random Stranger posted:

As for your other gaps, you're not missing much by not playing Final Fantasy, especially if you're older than 15.

who seriously thinks like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. Figured this is probably as good a place as any to ask:

Can anyone recommend plain, 2-button USB joysticks for Amiga emulation? I'm not a huge fan of gamepads and would love one of those simple-rear end Competition Pro clones made by Speedlink, but they're not being made anymore.. Looks like I won't be able to drive Mrs. Trabant insane with the incessant mechanical clicking, so I'm open to other suggestions.

edit: hell, plenty of people have assembled their own controller setups... I could roll my own too, I guess?

• Locked thread