Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Huh, that's outright Dr. Shantotto's lab from Windurst. WOFF seems to have a lot of nice little touches like that.

Every town in the game is an amalgam of several places. There are some really weird ones .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hoping for a decent amount of stuff from FF2, but I'm preparing myself to be disappointed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Hoping for a decent amount of stuff from FF2, but I'm preparing myself to be disappointed.

Final Fantasy 2 is extremely underrepresented honestly, it's actually a little weird.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I am disappointed :smith: Even just Firion, the Emperor, and the WIld Rose theme appearing would be enough.

Any decent FF14 representation, at least?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

I am disappointed :smith: Even just Firion, the Emperor, and the WIld Rose theme appearing would be enough.

I didn't see much 14 either but I admit I'm not very up on 14's lore and could have missed some.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does Gilgamesh actually talk or is he just a monster you can recruit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Gilgamesh is an actual character, yeah.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay yeah this game is getting played

By me

Day 1

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's pretty prominent in FF9, if that helps.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Baal posted:

He is a recruitable as shown in the blandest FF boss fight video, on the last page.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

guy is the only character worth a drat from FF2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

guy is the only character worth a drat from FF2

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 24, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Varance posted:

And if you want World of Final Fantasy spoiled to hell and back, here's the Einhander fight:

(also, Shantotto insulting Tidus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mXEvIkg8s

unimprismable :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A) That's weird for that fight because while it isn't hard it has a lot more moves it didn't use, I'm not sure why it didn't in that video.

B) Most bosses are unimprismable your first time through. However you'll gain the ability to fight them in the Colosseum where most of them are prismable. The Colosseum is basically where you go to recruit non-standard monsters pretty easily.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

He sacrifices himself to unlock a completely useless spell.

Still a better death than Josef. Sacrificed himself so you can open a door and then not ten feet inside is the guy who could've opened it to begin with.

gently caress Gordon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

He sacrifices himself to unlock a completely useless spell.

Still a better death than Josef. Sacrificed himself so you can open a door and then not ten feet inside is the guy who could've opened it to begin with.

gently caress Gordon.

Then he goes to Heaven and kills the emperor!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
"Imprism" is a cute phrase, but I can't be the only one who immediately mentally substituted it with "imprison", can I? I mean, it's an obvious pun of part of the translators, isn't it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Following the Einhander video link, I got another boss fight video in my recommendations; this time it was about Squall and Shelke bonding over uncertainty of the future after the fighting's done. It's weird and kind of cool to see characters from different titles interacting with one another, and I think if there's a lot of that in the game I might actually pick it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

Following the Einhander video link, I got another boss fight video in my recommendations; this time it was about Squall and Shelke bonding over uncertainty of the future after the fighting's done. It's weird and kind of cool to see characters from different titles interacting with one another, and I think if there's a lot of that in the game I might actually pick it up.

There is. Because there are only a handful of characters from the same game world they instead substitute other characters in place of it and it leads to some unusual interactions between characters you wouldn't expect.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

There is. Because there are only a handful of characters from the same game world they instead substitute other characters in place of it and it leads to some unusual interactions between characters you wouldn't expect.

Man am I ever excited for this game to download tomorrow!

And then maybe on Wednesday I can even play it!

What a time to be alive!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, I think you have to beat it first though.

That's actually really cool I'm suddenly remorseful for selling mine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

if ultima was any good i'd love minwu more, as it stands all he does is give you a canoe which, okay i guess but not amazing

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Mezzanon posted:

Man am I ever excited for this game to download tomorrow!

And then maybe on Wednesday I can even play it!

What a time to be alive!

Good news: if you preorder it through the PS Store right now it will start downloading immediately and will be available to play at midnight EDT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

Good news: if you preorder it through the PS Store right now it will start downloading immediately and will be available to play at midnight EDT.

Well, it's the PS Store so it's more like "it will start downloading immediately and there is a 58% chance it will be available to play at midnight EDT."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shoren posted:

Hey, I DID pre-order it! I'll get my girlfriend to turn the PS4 on so it can start downloading. I'm still not going to be able to play it until Wednesday, since I work 80 hours a week. But by god will I ever play it on Wednesday!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Hey, I DID pre-order it! I'll get my girlfriend to turn the PS4 on so it can start downloading. I'm still not going to be able to play it until Wednesday, since I work 80 hours a week. But by god will I ever play it on Wednesday!

God bless America.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
If you leave your PS4 in rest mode then it'll be there already because preorder downloads start 3 days before the game is available to play. You'll just be locked out until the right time with a big timer taunting you until then. It's a nifty little feature they have.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It comes out in less than 12 hours. Can you say whether the $60 I already spent that is nonrefundable was worth it, ImpAtom?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I literally just bought the Day one edition because come on now chibi Sephiroth. From what Imp has said, I'm not going to like the game either character, plot, or gameplay wise, but holy poo poo Sephiroth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varance posted:

And if you want World of Final Fantasy spoiled to hell and back, here's the Einhander fight:

(also, Shantotto insulting Tidus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mXEvIkg8s

That might be the most :effort: battle animations I've seen in the last decade. It's just too drat boring, though to be fair I wasn't too interested in the game before (and this video definitely doesn't change that).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it seems like impatom likes it, imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My vita copy was already shipped and I am looking forward to deciding between playing this and xenoverse 2 tomorrow when it's gonna actually end up being AA6

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I didn't get far into XI; does Shantotto always speak in almost, but not quite, rhyme?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Always.

How good the rhymes actually are is another matter altogether.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ultros in World of Final Fantasy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5J_JaRLG0I

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Ultros in World of Final Fantasy: [snip]

Spoilering the name doesn't do much if it's in the name and thumbnail of the video :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's gonna be very awkward when I have my chibi Sephiroth in my party with Cloud standing right there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rand Brittain posted:

I didn't get far into XI; does Shantotto always speak in almost, but not quite, rhyme?

Yeah, Tarutaru speak in weird ways, like some use alliteration, I remember one rear end in a top hat speaks just like Ned Flanders, most of them append "aru" to words that end with a t, such as "take thataru".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Hey wait a minute, all the FF characters are only summons, aren't they? You can only use monsters in your party, right?