Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That page is outdated. This AP map is from this year and may be more up to date.

DO NOT POST A PICTURE OF YOUR BALLOT IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN AN ORANGE STATE:

Hawaii just passed a law that makes it legal to share your ballot selfies, so that map is correct for Hawaii at least. Before that you just couldn't share a picture of a primary or special primary

quote:

§11-137 Secrecy; removal or exhibition of ballot. No person shall look at or ask to see the contents of the ballot or the choice of party or nonpartisan ballot of any voter, except as provided in section 11-139 and 11-132, nor shall any person within the polling place attempt to influence a voter in regard to whom the voter shall vote for. When a voter is in the voting booth for the purpose of voting, no other person, except as provided in section 11-139 and 11-132, shall be allowed to enter the booth or to be in a position from which the person can observe how the voter votes.
No person shall take a ballot out of the polling place except as provided in sections 11-135 and 11-139. After voting the voter shall leave the voting booth and deliver the voter's ballot to the precinct official in charge of the ballot boxes. The precinct official shall make certain that the precinct official has received the correct ballot and no other and then shall deposit the ballot into the ballot box. No person shall look at or ask to see the contents of the unvoted ballots. If any person having received a ballot leaves the polling place without first delivering the ballot to the precinct official as provided above, or wilfully exhibits the person's ballot or the person's unvoted ballots in a special primary or primary election, except as provided in section 11-139 and 11-132, after the ballot has been marked, the person shall forfeit the person's right to vote, and the chairperson of the precinct officials shall cause a record to be made of the proceeding. [L 1970, c 26, pt of §2; am L 1972, c 158, §1; am L 1973, c 217, §1(rr); am L 1975, c 36, §1(10); am L 1980, c 264, §1(m); gen ch 1985; am L 1993, c 97, §3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Endorph posted:

iunno who "Rocky" Roque is but I didn't know that the presidential ballot even let you do that. If The Rock ran, would it be listed as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?
On my ballot in NC, one of the Judicial races had both entrants using a nickname, except the nicknames were Michael (Mike) and Robert (Bob). Laaaaaaame

No other race had anything like that. Also, it was the first time that judicial races were partisan, before it was all unaffiliated.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 25, 2016

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Teddybear posted:

Wasn't hannity gonna have that interview with the enquirer secret Hillary hitman? Did that shake out?

Yeah, he's claiming it's former editor-in-chief of the Weekly World News Jeff Rovin. Then apparently spent many minutes attempting to prove that the National Enquirer is real journalism because LOOK! THEY WERE SORTA RIGHT THAT TIME!

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
You will never believe this but yet another Trump accusation of the Clinton campaign turns out to be projection. James O'Keefe: actual human garbage.

quote:

Breitbart coordinated with liberal activist and organizer who disrupted GOP primary campaign events

A liberal activist and organizer coordinated with reporters from the conservative news site Breitbart during the primaries to cover his disruptions of events for candidates such as Sen. Marco Rubio.

Aaron Black, an associate with Democracy Partners and a former Occupy Wall Street organizer, worked with the pro-Trump site Breitbart, tipping it off about his stunts, exchanging raw video and coordinating coverage, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Black has resurfaced recently as one of the people featured in undercover video from the Project Veritas group. In the video, he claims to work for the Democratic National Committee. Though he does not appear on their payroll, his bio at Democracy Partners credits him with "working closely with the Democratic National Committee" during the 2012 election cycle. Black in the video says he helped organize violent protests in Chicago that led to Trump's cancellation of a rally there in March.

According to the source, Black coordinated with Breitbart via email, phone and in person, including when he dressed up as a robot and trolled Marco Rubio’s events. The relationship was described as very friendly. An article subsequently published on Breitbart featured video footage of a physical confrontation between Black and Rubio's New Hampshire campaign chairman.

"He worked directly with Breitbart’s political team on the ground in the primary states to sabotage Marco Rubio & Ted Cruz, and elect Trump as nominee of [the Republican] party,” the source told POLITICO. “[Black] was coordinating with [Breitbart’s] top staff to rabble rouse against Rubio at rallies."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/breitbart-liberal-activist-230255#ixzz4O3KlZGxq

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I looked up Rocky de la Fuente. He appears to be the saddest George C. Scott impersonator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_De_La_Fuente

My three political books? Three random Discworld novels.

Patrician/Scorpion Pit 2016!

undertool
Mar 3, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That page is outdated. This AP map is from this year and may be more up to date.

DO NOT POST A PICTURE OF YOUR BALLOT IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN AN ORANGE STATE:

It's currently banned in California, though that law changes in 2 months. It's also never been enforced.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Crain posted:

poo poo about conservative WV relatives.

This is heartbreaking as gently caress, especially since as someone who grew up in a rural WV community, I know too many people who could probably change a dozen words at most of this and have it apply to a portion of their family. My dad, his two brothers, his father, both of my mom's brother's, and her father all worked in the mines. All but my father were deeply conservative, and all except my mom's youngest brother died before hitting 60, and his health isn't expected to hold out for more than 3-4 years at best. Three of my cousins my age or younger are already working in the mines, and I know two of them have already struggled with drug addictions.

As I child I heard one of my uncles claim once that if the liberals had their way they'd shut down the coal mines. I remember praying every night for that to happen.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

undertool posted:

It's currently banned in California, though that law changes in 2 months. It's also never been enforced.

Do not underestimate the deplorable poll watcher to make a fuss about some millennial or otherwise taking a poll picture.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Equilibrium posted:

You will never believe this but it turns out yet another Trump accusation of the Clinton campaign turns out to be projection. James O'Keefe: actual human garbage.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/breitbart-liberal-activist-230255#ixzz4O3KlZGxq

At what point does Black stop being described as a liberal activist and more accurately as a Breitbart plant? Knock me over with a feather, someone in an O'Keefe video may be a plant.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/24/inside-donald-trump-s-one-stop-parties-attendees-recall-cocaine-and-very-young-models.html

Daily Beast is reporting that Trump used to have cocaine parties and bang underage girls.

Not sure this is going to go anywhere without one of the girls coming forward and copping to blowing Donald when she was 14.

Well Trump has a court date set for a civil suit with a woman alleging she was raped by Trump when she was 13. The things she says seem to dovetail with this Daily Beast reporting.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

I know you can't trust any of this stuff right now without real journalists chasing this down, but ugh... nobody believed the woman who came forward in July and people downplayed the Ivana rape accusation and then now we have Trump talking to Billy Bush then more women coming forward then we also have to take into consideration Trump's longtime friendship with Jeffrey Epstein and the New York Magazine profile of Epstein where Trump says he knows Epstein is into girls "on the younger side" and the comments about 10-12 year olds in public and ahhhhh this election is getting real real dark.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tom Guycot posted:

Trick question, theres no reason to like idaho.

The nature around Coeur d'Alene is breathtaking.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
At risk of doxxing a friend with a super common name (good luck finding him),

Does anyone else smell burnt toast?

I know it's just a Facebook streaming news thing every night, but ... God drat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ErIog posted:

At what point does Black stop being described as a liberal activist and more accurately as a Breitbart plant? Knock me over with a feather, someone in an O'Keefe video may be a plant.

Well Trump has a court date set for a civil suit with a woman alleging she was raped by Trump when she was 13. The things she says seem to dovetail with this Daily Beast reporting.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

I know you can't trust any of this stuff right now without real journalists chasing this down, but ugh... nobody believed the woman who came forward in July and people downplayed the Ivana rape accusation and then now we have Trump talking to Billy Bush then more women coming forward then we also have to take into consideration Trump's longtime friendship with Jeffrey Epstein and the New York Magazine profile of Epstein where Trump says he knows Epstein is into girls "on the younger side" and the comments about 10-12 year olds in public and ahhhhh this election is getting real real dark.

Haha yeah, remember when a literal child molester used to be second in the presidential line of succession? Good times. Pedophilia is not exactly new in US politics.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

A video version of Trump's twitter feed sounds like a great way to flip the House :D

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Colorado's law is currently being challenged, as well, and will likely be struck down so I don't think you have much to fear here either.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

Hope you had a lot of everclear handy

Academics are perpetually drunk anyway.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

At risk of doxxing a friend with a super common name (good luck finding him),

I know it's just a Facebook streaming news thing every night, but ... God drat.

*Fox News fidgets nervously*

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zerilan posted:

As I child I heard one of my uncles claim once that if the liberals had their way they'd shut down the coal mines. I remember praying every night for that to happen.

That's my mentality now. It has to happen sooner rather than later. The kind way to describe it is like ripping a bandaid off, but really it's more like forcing someone into rehab.

There's a drat lot of recovery that has to happen along with closing the mines, and we'll just have to try and save anyone who'll let us help.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhFunny posted:

*Fox News fidgets nervously*

Isn't FOX the only major broadcast channel to not have a 6:30 pm newscast

Here's their chance

Brave Squirrel
Mar 25, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

early voting has been insane in TX today. 1hr lines at my local fiesta (cheap supermarket). It's funny that in the third party discussion a few days ago, someone said that voting dem is like pissing into the wind in Texas anyway so who cares. Texas could very well turn blue.

Bexar County (San Antonio):
2016 - 35,427
2012 - 30,087
2008 - 29,119

undertool
Mar 3, 2009

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Do not underestimate the deplorable poll watcher to make a fuss about some millennial or otherwise taking a poll picture.

I looked it up mostly out of self interest. I posted a picture of my mail in ballot last week.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crain posted:

That's my mentality now. It has to happen sooner rather than later. The kind way to describe it is like ripping a bandaid off, but really it's more like forcing someone into rehab.

There's a drat lot of recovery that has to happen along with closing the mines, and we'll just have to try and save anyone who'll let us help.

Seriously coal's dead and there's no bringing it back. Best thing to do now, politically, is help anyone transition into the present.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Seriously coal's dead and there's no bringing it back. Best thing to do now, politically, is help anyone transition into the present.

No clearly the best thing to do is to aggressively tell reassuring lies about how coal is going to make a comeback.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater - Vonnegut
Maus - Spiegelman
The Crucible - Arthur Miller

I don't read much non-fiction, and when I do it's either non-fiction about fiction or architecture.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

People are going to go kicking and screaming.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

OhFunny posted:

People are going to go kicking and screaming.

They already are.

I don't know if this was posted while I was asleep but Mike Crapo proved he lacks a spine by reendorsing Trump.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Potato Salad posted:

How is this thread not alight with 15 year old models and cocaine

Doesn't count if there's no video.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

Discipline and Punish
Taran Wanderer
Invisible Man

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stereotype posted:

People keep hand wringing about Democrats not voting since Hillary has it in the bag, but there are enough Red states that might go Blue where Democrats who normally wouldn't care are going to be SUPER EXCITED since they might win for once in their lives.

I've had friends in Georgia posting and hyping the gently caress out of HOLY poo poo GEORGIA MIGHT GO BLUE VOTE YOU FUCKERS ever since Trump picked a fight with the Khans and that first close poll came out.

At a glance I can't help but notice a fair number of places with increased premiums (like Pittsburgh and Philly) are also losing providers. So less options and increased cost with those who remain. :capitalism:

OhFunny posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/25/us/national-guard-bonuses-california.html?_r=0

Has the thread talked about this?

The Pentagon is trying to get it's money back from re-enlistment bonuses and other bonuses it payed out during the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars from nearly 10,000 National Guard that it issued in error.

Apparently because the military can't manage its money.

I've been reading about it elsewhere and it's royally hosed up. The Feds know it is too. Someone started a class action lawsuit in California and the government immediately forgave his outstanding debt and are asking for the class action to be dismissed. since that specific person no longer has reason to sue. Another person was being told to repay because the government couldn't find its copy of their signing papers with the bonus. Honestly, reading about it is a good way to ruin your day because it's just so insanely hosed up. :smith:

It'd be nice to have Clinton call attention to it and state that she's going to do everything in her power to stop it and just have the government eat the cost instead of loving up the lives of thousands of vets.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

undertool posted:

Why is this even a thing? Is it a threat to the voting process if some dumbass Millenial takes a ballot selfie?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress West Virginia and everyone that lives there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Why is this even a thing? Is it a threat to the voting process if some dumbass Millenial takes a ballot selfie?

Texas bans photography within 100 feet of polling places. My assumption is that its original purpose was to prevent assholes from taking pictures of people in line and finding out who they are to organize a beating for not voting the proper way.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

The main justification I've heard is to prevent vote sales. I.e. people will offer to pay others to vote a certain way and require a photo of the completed ballot to verify.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

If you can prove you voted a certain way to someone, they can reward you, so it enables the reliable buying of votes.

Without it, people can still try to buy off voters, but you can't really be coerced into voting a certain way. You can vote however you want and just lie about it.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

"I need photo evidence that you voted Republican or you're fired"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Never thought of the vote buying thing. In that case it makes sense to ban it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

fishmech posted:

First circuit court ruled in September that it was OK to take a picture of your ballot and struck down the NH law against it, meaning it's essentially fine in every 1st district state.

Also means you're likely to win on appeal, so please go hawg wild and challenge this dumb poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah nobody cares about some dumb millennial tweeting a selfie of them voting for Jill Stein. They care about 1) people paying others to vote and 2) people coercing others to vote, whether employees or family members or whoever. The secret ballot means secret, you always have to have plausible deniability to tell your friends/family/coworkers "Yeah I totally voted for Trump/Clinton" while secretly doing the opposite, and the fewer ways there are for them to pressure you into revealing your real vote the better.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

GalacticAcid posted:

The Lord of the Rings+The Silmarillion (no, seriously, there's some pretty profound stuff in there, and I'm counting them as one long saga) - Tolkien
1984 - Orwell
Pale Blue Dot - Sagan

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah nobody cares about some dumb millennial tweeting a selfie of them voting for Jill Stein. They care about 1) people paying others to vote and 2) people coercing others to vote, whether employees or family members or whoever. The secret ballot means secret, you always have to have plausible deniability to tell your friends/family/coworkers "Yeah I totally voted for Trump/Clinton" while secretly doing the opposite, and the fewer ways there are for them to pressure you into revealing your real vote the better.

If you want to take a selfie with your ballot, its literally your right to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If you want to take a selfie with your ballot, its literally your right to do so.

I can see where you're coming from, but then how do you prevent what so many people posted above---- votes getting bought, sold, or coerced?

• Locked thread