Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Marquis de Pyro posted:

w/r/t Kelly, a 4* DE just de-committed from ND and committed to Michigan and publicly said this

"Talking to Brian Kelly wasn't fun. It wasn't cool." - the least surprising news of all time

LMAO players have to make an appointment to talk to their coach?! That sounds absurd to me, do other schools do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

I hope some big name schools that were planning on hiring Herman sees Houston get worse and worse each week and then has second thoughts about hiring him. And then he gets stuck with Houston, which proceeds to become a dumpster fire. And then no one wants Herman anymore, who is doomed to perennial 6-6 seasons at Houston

I don't think that will happen since there are way too many middling P5s that will easily bet more than 3 million on Herman going back to being Tom F'n Herman.

But if it were to somehow not happen, the Houston AD isn't going to allow 6-6 or 7-5 seasons for long. Either Herman would have to eat some humble pie and go back to doing his job at UH, or he's going to end up on the hot seat. That 2.5 million dollar buyout goes both ways.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sash! posted:

The rest of the schedule looks winnable, really, so...a 10-2 season even with a loss to Pitt and getting ground into a fine paste by Michigan bought him a lot of time.

Lose a nonsense loss to Rutgers or something and you'll piss away the Ohio State good vibes instantly.

Ron Zook was the only coach to beat Saban in the year Saban took LSU to a BCS title. As you say, the goodwill can be exhausted pretty quickly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Korranus posted:

I don't think that will happen since there are way too many middling P5s that will easily bet more than 3 million on Herman going back to being Tom F'n Herman.

But if it were to somehow not happen, the Houston AD isn't going to allow 6-6 or 7-5 seasons for long. Either Herman would have to eat some humble pie and go back to doing his job at UH, or he's going to end up on the hot seat. That 2.5 million dollar buyout goes both ways.

Houston had a lovely game after they found out they weren't getting in to the Big XII. It is probably a bit premature to declare Herman dead.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

You know who can swing a $2.5 million no problem?

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/790637709232513024

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
^^^^^
I doubt it. None of the Longhorn beat writers or even the bullshit rumor peddlers have gone that far, and it seems dubious that some NFL guy in Denver would have the scoop before any of them.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Texas might as well fire Charlie Strong now and hire Herman, just so save us all the months of speculation.

The upside of this would be that my school would have two coaches at the same time and I could watch both of their teams play each week with a sense of having some skin in the game. Unfortunately, both of those teams would continue to be pretty bad, probably even worse than they are now.

It also occurs to me that firing Strong will probably lead to us taking a beating in recruiting, since his pattern has been picking up a few commits here and there before going on an absolute tear at the very end. It won't be a question of whether the next guy can hold the class together, since there won't really be a class to hold together.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

And the other big piece of social media going around at UH -

Herman just needs to tell everyone he's leaving and get it over with before this gets any more desperate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

"Big rumor today is that Nick Saban to #Longhorns is "all but offical." Reliable sources saying what has been suspected for awhile now."
Don't believe rumors about Texas until they at least fire the coach and have official interviews scheduled.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Korranus posted:

And the other big piece of social media going around at UH -

Herman just needs to tell everyone he's leaving and get it over with before this gets any more desperate.

At what point did you become convinced he was leaving, after the Big 12 expansion non-expansion decision?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Addazio is probably going to get fired this year at BC.

Someone should look at Babers at Syracuse. They're .500, but what he's done is AMAZING given their horrible roster.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Lasagna Pilot posted:

At what point did you become convinced he was leaving, after the Big 12 expansion non-expansion decision?

If Korranus is like me, it was after the Navy game. Yes Navy is well disciplined/a good team/the weather was bad, but to me that game felt like the last game Sumlin pretended to coach for us. The Tulsa near-loss and this embarrassment versus SMU (not to mention our LB's getting into fistfights and breaking orbital bones) only underline that something is wrong behind the scenes.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kim Jong Il posted:

He earns over $2.5 million/year now. Incredible. I never thought he'd make it once Meyer left him for dead in Gainesville.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanvig posted:

If Korranus is like me, it was after the Navy game. Yes Navy is well disciplined/a good team/the weather was bad, but to me that game felt like the last game Sumlin pretended to coach for us. The Tulsa near-loss and this embarrassment versus SMU (not to mention our LB's getting into fistfights and breaking orbital bones) only underline that something is wrong behind the scenes.

Same-ish here. What broke it for me is how after that game, Herman changed from telling people "I'm not leaving, stop asking" to "I'm not answering that question." Saw that movie with Art Briles, know the ending. I don't think the Big 12 not expanding played much of a role...that was a bigger deal for revenue and recruiting.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Kim Jong Il posted:

Someone should look at Babers at Syracuse. They're .500, but what he's done is AMAZING given their horrible roster.

LLCoolJD posted:

He earns over $2.5 million/year now. Incredible. I never thought he'd make it once Meyer left him for dead in Gainesville.

Addazio had some good years at Temple. Maybe he would be better sticking to being a G5 coach?

Agreed about Babers, although I doubt any big program comes calling this soon. Probably another couple of years if he can keep it up.

Who does BC hire at this point now that they are a complete shithouse?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BC seems like they're in kinda the same boat as Purdue, where outside of brief peaks with an elite recruit (BC had Matt Ryan, Purdue had Brees/Orton), they just have long, long stretches of complete irrelevance.

I don't know who that job appeals to, especially in a region where BC Football is like fifth- or sixth-fiddle behind the Boston pro teams. There's no real recruiting hotbed, either -- at least Purdue can theoretically fight for whatever scraps Michigan/OSU/MSU/Notre Dame leave behind.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 25, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Kim Jong Il posted:

Babers checks a lot of boxes. I'd probably put him on my second tier of realistic choices for the next guy at Texas. Outside of total pipe dreams (Urban, Saban), I've basically got three groups going. People who would win a fuckton of games but are too tainted include Bobby Petrino, Art Briles, Hugh Freeze, and probably Phil Montgomery (if he'd submit to a really serious interview, possibly involving a polygraph, I would consider moving him into another category). First tier of realistic hires includes Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Larry Fedora, and Chris Petersen if we could get him. Second tier of realistic choices looks something like Gary Patterson, Bryan Harsin, Dino Babers, maybe even Chad Morris.

On some level it seems like we should at least call Chip Kelly, but he supposedly despises dealing with boosters and he's got his own history of shadiness, so I'm crossing him off. I absolutely do not want someone not named Nick Saban who's going to come in here and try to run a pro-style offense, so that means crossing off some other very accomplished people (Fisher, Richt, most everyone from the B1G, etc). If we're gonna play ball control let's do it the Holgo/Morris way.

And for heaven's sake can we please steal Tony Gibson away from WVU to be our DC?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aside from the other reasons you might not want him doesn't Petrino have a gently caress off huge buyout? Like one that would even make Texas blanch?

e: After looking it up it's a 10 million buyout plus paying him enough to make it worth his while to move (he's making 4.35 mill/year). I can't see anyone wanting him enough to do that unless he goes on a Saban-like run over the next few years.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 25, 2016

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Thermos H Christ posted:

Babers checks a lot of boxes. I'd probably put him on my second tier of realistic choices for the next guy at Texas. Outside of total pipe dreams (Urban, Saban), I've basically got three groups going. People who would win a fuckton of games but are too tainted include Bobby Petrino, Art Briles, Hugh Freeze, and probably Phil Montgomery (if he'd submit to a really serious interview, possibly involving a polygraph, I would consider moving him into another category). First tier of realistic hires includes Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Larry Fedora, and Chris Petersen if we could get him. Second tier of realistic choices looks something like Gary Patterson, Bryan Harsin, Dino Babers, maybe even Chad Morris.

On some level it seems like we should at least call Chip Kelly, but he supposedly despises dealing with boosters and he's got his own history of shadiness, so I'm crossing him off. I absolutely do not want someone not named Nick Saban who's going to come in here and try to run a pro-style offense, so that means crossing off some other very accomplished people (Fisher, Richt, most everyone from the B1G, etc). If we're gonna play ball control let's do it the Holgo/Morris way.

And for heaven's sake can we please steal Tony Gibson away from WVU to be our DC?

I'm going to exclude the pipe dreams from my analysis.

- Petrino's buyout makes that unlikely, and he's not exactly the Texas "Glad hand HS coaches and go to all the BBQs" type that I think your boosters are going to demand.
- If Texas actually hired Briles, the real search is going to be for a litigator that'll be willing to defend them
- Freeze runs a HS offense that has been crazy talented but never consistent, and he's probably radioactive with how that school's gone.
- Montgomery would be interesting, but he probably demands the chance to take a bunch of the Baylor coaches over with him and is a non-starter.

- Fuente would be a great hire, and he's rocking a $7 Million buyout through bowl season that only drops to $6 million. That said, he's got it pretty much made at VT. He's in the coastal, so really Miami and UNC are his only real competition keeping his out of the ACCCG every year. He's already the third highest-paid coach in the conference. I'm not sure he's willing to Todd Graham himself by leaving after a year either.
- Tom Herman is probably the most likely option. He's a "Texas" guy who has local relationships, runs a spread that still incorporates some of the man-ball elements you should have at a school like Texas, and Houston is now solidly a tier-2 job because of the Big 12 fiasco. The SMU loss was stupid, but the guy has lost 3 games in 2 years with a team that he's barely even been able to use his own recruits with yet.
- Fedora might be the dark-horse here and would be awesome for the offense, but my god can he not put a defense together. With the issues Charlie's had this year, I think you can only hire Fedora if you like staple a Dave Aranda-level coordinator to him defensively.
- Chris Petersen turned down USC for Washington and has been floated for every major opening known to man since Boise. He's an incredible coach, but he's also Pacific NW as gently caress and probably not a super fit for the Texas booster culture or anything like that. Remember how Gary Andersen was at Wisconsin? It's probably that.

- Patterson has never left TCU for anything in however many years he's been there at this point and may be too much of an egomaniac/control freak for Texas.
- Harsin could turn out really well, considering he's shown a crazy amount of offensive flexibility and actually made Boise look pretty good on defense too. There's always danger in taking the caretaker of someone else's program, but he's definitely a solid B-option and has been successful everywhere
- Babers would be absolutely unreal with that offense considering what he did with the personnel at BG and Syracuse, but he's going to have similar issues to Fedora where he's never put a competent defense together as a HC.
- Chad Morris is the ultimate boom/bust for the position. He's made SMU somewhat competitive, but he's been dealing with the absolute tirefire that is being at modern SMU on the recruitment and program building sides. If he's as good at offense as he was at Clemson, he probably gets Texas to 8-9 wins on that alone, but he's going to face concerns over the fact that he's fairly comparable to Herman in terms of career path and circumstance but hasn't recruited at that level or had quite that level of success, even though Houston had a way better initial roster.

Kelly's not going to a school where he has to be accountable to more than a handful of people, considering how hellbent he's been on staying in the NFL. Much less, the problem with Kelly is that he's never just settling down somewhere. Saban ain't ever leaving. Maybe you'll see someone like Fisher get approached, but he's probably got an equivalent situation at FSU without nearly the level of booster pressure--plus he's got the added issue of having his kids in Florida where his ex has custody making that even less likely.

The only Big 10 guy I see as a serious question is Dantonio, and he's probably never leaving Lansing at this point considering they've done whatever he's wanted since arriving. That division just got way more competitive/annoying for him though, so maybe he considers greener pastures at the flagship school in the Big 12. Frankly, if you're looking at the midwest, just pay PJ Fleck and be done with it, since he's taken an absolute dumpster fire of a program and made it look like a potential G5 NY6 representative.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Babers is a good Xs-and-Os coach but he is a 100% dog poo poo awful recruiter.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW :manning:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dantonio is never leaving. He's extremely tied to the Midwest and he's 60 years old, plus he's in total control at a school that doesn't really put a ton of pressure on its coaches, let alone their best in history.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Western Michigan: Already the highest paid head coach in the conference, Bronco athletic director Kathy Beauregard told the Detroit News that they’re working on another increase to PJ Fleck’s salary, noting “Don’t just assume that we can’t keep him.” Fleck made $800k in 2015.

I get that you basically have to say these things but come on now

E: gently caress it, i'm getting this off my chest:
Dino Babers is a kickass offensive coach, no denying that. That being said, his success at BG was entirely with Dave Clawson's recruits. BG's woes this year aren't just because we have an all new coaching staff with relatively little experience. The players still here are dogshit. The defense is a 100% afterthought and clearly was with Dino as well, after we had a spectacular one under Clawson.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 25, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dantonio is never leaving. He's extremely tied to the Midwest and he's 60 years old, plus he's in total control at a school that doesn't really put a ton of pressure on its coaches, let alone their best in history.

Yeah in addition to being old, the idea that he'd be a good fit in Texas just because he was born there is really weird. He's spent his entire career in the midwest. He doesn't have any significant recruiting ties in the area, is a bad fit for the conference/region schematically, and doesn't have the personality for what the Texas job requires. He's a way better fit at MSU, where he can easily recruit guys who fit his preferred style of play, can act all grumpy about being overlooked, isn't expected to play the affable politician role, and doesn't have to look over his shoulder every time he has a rebuilding year

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

If LSU doesn't want Orgeron then UO would love him. Orgeron for Oregon.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Personally I would love to see Texas hire a big name coach who otherwise is a bad fit for the program.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Texas should get Les. He's fit in well with Austin

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

TheGreyGhost posted:

Harsin could turn out really well, considering he's shown a crazy amount of offensive flexibility and actually made Boise look pretty good on defense too. There's always danger in taking the caretaker of someone else's program, but he's definitely a solid B-option and has been successful everywhere

He was also an OC at Texas during the late Mack Brown era. He knows what it is to be the coach at Texas better than any other candidate. He's seen it up close. Maybe he's not interested for that very reason, but it really cuts down on the risk of him coming in and being unprepared for the realities of the position.

Then again, he was born and raised in Boise, played QB at Boise State, was a GA at Boise State, was a position coach at Boise State, was a coordinator at Boise State, and now he's the head football coach at Boise State. He might be someone who really loves Boise State. Maybe he doesn't want another job.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
My current thoughts are keeping Strong around for another year under the condition that he's cleaning house on D. I think long-term, it's important for Texas to show that a coach will get a legit shot to turn the program around. I don't envy the AD in having to make this choice.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Neil Armbong posted:

My current thoughts are keeping Strong around for another year under the condition that he's cleaning house on D. I think long-term, it's important for Texas to show that a coach will get a legit shot to turn the program around. I don't envy the AD in having to make this choice.

what is there left to "clean house" about. Why do you trust the guy to make executive decisions when his coordinator hires were spectacularly bad. Why do you think he would improve the defense when the defense has done nothing but regress. 3 years is plenty of time to show improvement when you're making five million dollars a year.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Neil Armbong posted:

I think the best argument for doing this is that it will allow us to get a long-term AD in place. Someone who actually has experience running a college athletics department, as opposed to a well-liked booster hastily installed by the Prez to shut up the other boosters who were in open revolt against the last AD. Perrin seems like a swell dude and all, but I'm not sure I want him handling our next coaching search. It's not something he has experience with, the baseball coach search was kind of a shitshow, and I think a lot of coaches would hesitate to go to a school with a placeholder AD and no way to know who they'll be working with long-term. There's also an argument that, if the shine continues to come off of Herman, there are no coaches on the market that we simply must have and can't afford to miss out on.

Scionix posted:

what is there left to "clean house" about. Why do you trust the guy to make executive decisions when his coordinator hires were spectacularly bad. Why do you think he would improve the defense when the defense has done nothing but regress. 3 years is plenty of time to show improvement when you're making five million dollars a year.

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. "Cleaning house on D" means firing himself. Which produced great improvement when he did it on offense. Where do we go from here? Do we just keep telling him to stop coaching and hire someone competent do it? What is he here for at that point? That's the terrible, inescapable reality. Everything he touches has pretty much turned to poo poo here.

All that said, I still find it nearly impossible to accept that Charlie Strong just forgot how to coach defense. When he showed up in 2014 he was actually pretty effective at slowing down B12 offenses, at least until our very limited depth would give out. Held Kliff to 13 points in Lubbock, with two shutout quarters. Shut out Gundy for 3 quarters in Stillwater, gave up 7 points total. Held Holgo to 3 points in the first 3 quarters, 16 points total. Shut out Briles' offense for the first half, held them to 21 points total. Gave up one offensive TD to TCU in the first half, shut them out in the third quarter. And that's when TCU's offense was loving terrifying. Eventually the endless turnovers and 3-and-outs by our offense would wear our starters out and the floodgates would open, but still. Maybe with some more depth/maturity/experience on the defense things will improve again? I don't know. I really wish I could say I'm seeing any sign of improvement from defensive players who were here last year.

I think he still has a narrow path to keeping the job, and that path is a 5-0 run to the end of the regular season. I just don't see it happening.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
At Florida Charlie would have a terrible defense one year and an amazing one the next with the exact same kids. I think there is just a learning curve to his system from the player side, but once they get it that defense is really good.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sometimes a guy is just a round peg in a square hole. Charlie Strong failing at Texas doesn't mean he's a failure of a coach and a person and we should shame him forever, it means he needs to go somewhere else to succeed. As much as I don't want to punish the man even more, maybe a place like Purdue or BC would give him the chance to build outside of the spotlight, and then he can take another run at a major program.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Korranus posted:

Same-ish here. What broke it for me is how after that game, Herman changed from telling people "I'm not leaving, stop asking" to "I'm not answering that question." Saw that movie with Art Briles, know the ending. I don't think the Big 12 not expanding played much of a role...that was a bigger deal for revenue and recruiting.

What I don't understand is how the hell Houston keeps getting top flight coaches, one after another? Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman all in a row? Even blue chip programs don't have that kind coaching talent following each other. They are like a reverse Boise State, where instead of the coach failing spectacularly as soon as they leave, they actually end up doing even better once they are gone... except Chris Peterson, who bucked the trend of lovely Boise State coaches. I hope Tom Herman turns out to be the reverse-Chris Peterson in the fact that he becomes the one ex-Houston coach that ends up really sucking after leaving Houston.

And it's not personal, I don't have anything against Herman. I just really don't want Texas to have a successful head coach after they fire Strong, any reasonable fan would agree that Texas being bad at college football is wildly entertaining

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DrunkPanda posted:

What I don't understand is how the hell Houston keeps getting top flight coaches, one after another? Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman all in a row? Even blue chip programs don't have that kind coaching talent following each other

Briles and Sumlin were guessing right on guys. Briles was a high school coach who had one year as a RB coach at Texas Tech before Houston hired him. Sumlin had bounced around college ball for 20 years as a position coach and eventually Co-OC/WR coach for a couple of years at OU.

Herman is different, been an OC for 10 years steadily moving up to slightly better programs (Rice>Iowa State is arguable I guess) before going to Ohio State. After his first year there everyone expected him to take about 100 different jobs but he was super particular about what situation he wanted to end up in. For whatever reason he liked Houston.

Also Tony Levine was in there in the middle, so it isn't like everything Houston touches turns to gold.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

big money big clit posted:

When has a mid season interim/turned full head coach actually not ended in mediocrity?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

DJExile posted:

Babers is a good Xs-and-Os coach but he is a 100% dog poo poo awful recruiter.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW :manning:

My friend that played for him at BGSU said he blew the whole travel budget remodeling his office.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wernox posted:

My friend that played for him at BGSU said he blew the whole travel budget remodeling his office.

I heard some rumors about that too but the Sebo Center was up and running before he arrived. I've been up in the offices a couple times and they don't seem to have changed much since Clawson's days.

Then again I could be missing it. Nothing would really surprise me anymore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The USAToday coaching salary database received its annual update today

If you haven't fiddled around on it, you should. It's pretty neat.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Scionix posted:

That's a legit question. Maybe only an outside search via AD/committee to find a new DC for Strong? Idk how that would work though, so maybe it's not a realistic option.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So do we all still think Sonny Dykes to Baylor is going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

So do we all still think Sonny Dykes to Baylor is going to happen?

No, I think Dykes and Cal like each other again.

• Locked thread