Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dinosaur Satan posted:

Not Blue: Saskia the Unyielding

I won't complain about Witcher crossovers, no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Oh whoops I'm walking my dog in the dark and phone posting and not paying attention so I'm being the "take every post literal" guy

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 25, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ultima66 posted:

Yes, the wall is a current-day statue of the two in Theros. That's why it's a wall. The legendary is the actual two dudes back when they were alive.

That's pretty cool if you ask me. They will probably put something out about it being their first representations of openly gay characters, unless I've forgotten one. I saw it mentioned when they printed the Artifact Wall.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So something I just noticed from the last open...

Tom Ross used 4x blossoming defense AND 4x vines. Totally dropped twisted image from the maindeck. Uses rancor instead of Distortion Strike or blessing.

I like it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I'm not fond of them putting out an official group hug commander precon. People might get the idea that playing hug is actually beneficial to the game

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/790705400379158528

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ZeroCount posted:

I'm not fond of them putting out an official group hug commander precon. People might get the idea that playing hug is actually beneficial to the game

But then you know who to kill first because the group hugger is always actually the biggest threat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owen does some funny stuff. I still laugh about the time he Skyped into LSV's stream and went off on a rant about how he'd accept $5 to burn every book in the world.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

Boi is a great creature type.

sadly, in English it's just an Ox Elemental :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

idgi

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I do not want to be the group hug pillow fort player, but I want the gay Greek kings

:negative:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Archenteron posted:

I do not want to be the group hug pillow fort player, but I want the gay Greek kings

Good news: If their pillow fort design is as good as the rest of their design, it'll probably be the best aggro commander of the bunch.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Good news: If their pillow fort design is as good as the rest of their design, it'll probably be the best aggro commander of the bunch.

we can only hope. we can only hope.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Archenteron posted:

I mean, they have pillow fort, aggro, and chaos as themes. not ideal

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lets Pickle posted:

The not-green one says:

When ~ enters the battlefield, create (?) (?) blue Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying.
1, Sacrifice an artifact: Choose 1:
- I don't know
- Target creature gains (?) until end of turn
- You gain (?) life.

I think it's 4 damage to a player, -4/-4 to a creature, or gain 4 life

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

lolrandom amirite

can;t wait for this wgrb randomness deck

e: also this guy is the worst vial smasher, how is he smashing aether vials

4x This Guy
4x Deathrite Shaman
4x Carnophage
4x Gravecrawler
4x Magus of the Wheel
4x Unearth

2x Unmask
4x Dark Ritual

3x Pyrokinesis
4x Rift Bolt
4x Fireblast

20x Lands

T1 Ritual Deathrite Zombies
T2 This Guy
T3 Magus of the wheel, pyrokinesis your guys on your turn
T4 Fireblast you for 10

Sideboard gets more unmasks and maybe some spinning darkness.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Hellsau posted:

Owen does some funny stuff. I still laugh about the time he Skyped into LSV's stream and went off on a rant about how he'd accept $5 to burn every book in the world.

He needs to have book burning so he doesn't take 6 and get milled for 6.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sigma-X posted:

4x This Guy
4x Deathrite Shaman
4x Carnophage
4x Gravecrawler
4x Magus of the Wheel
4x Unearth

2x Unmask
4x Dark Ritual

3x Pyrokinesis
4x Rift Bolt
4x Fireblast

20x Lands

T1 Ritual Deathrite Zombies
T2 This Guy
T3 Magus of the wheel, pyrokinesis your guys on your turn
T4 Fireblast you for 10

Sideboard gets more unmasks and maybe some spinning darkness.

Shoals.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

New Legacy Deck On the Scene.

3 color Shoal Smasher RBG

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Duel Commander's life total went down to 20 recently, I can see Vial Smasher doing some loving work there. Same with the not-blue damage doubler dude.

But I like that this set is managing to give us 60(?) new commanders, even if most of them will be mediocre.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Shortest Path posted:

But I like that this set is managing to give us 60(?) new commanders, even if most of them will be mediocre.

Assuming each deck has 3 partners and 1 other legend, and counting each pair of partners as a commander, there will be 110 new commanders. (125 if you include using a single partner on its own as a commander, but that seems strictly worse than pairing them with another partner.)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

...how is 3 partners per 4c deck going to work? I assumed we were getting two 4c legends and two 2c partners.

If there are 3 partners in the deck, one of them can't be used as a commander for the deck because it will be the wrong colors, unless we have color overlap?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

...how is 3 partners per 4c deck going to work? I assumed we were getting two 4c legends and two 2c partners.

If there are 3 partners in the deck, one of them can't be used as a commander for the deck because it will be the wrong colors, unless we have color overlap?

I assumed there would be one pair of partners for each colour, too. You can't have three different colour-pairs without leaving one of them unusable.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It was mentioned upthread that each deck would have 3 partners, 2 enemy-colored and one ally-colored (e.g. WUBR would have WB, UB, and UR partners). I assumed there was a source for that.

If it's 4 legends of which 2 are partners then yeah 55 new commanders.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

2 enemy colors, one allied.

For example:

UG + WR (enemy)
GW or RG or WU (allied)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I feel like with how much commander happens across the world WOTC would put more into it. Even though I have personal stake in it at all, it seems pretty annoying to have as little support as it does.

In other news, Kent and cardholder have been roasted pretty hard on reddit today. Some have put the situation in a very convincing light that Kent might eat a suspension for this. If you asked me if that was possible yesterday I wouldn't have believed it.

Good. :colbert:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

In other news, Kent and cardholder have been roasted pretty hard on reddit today. Some have put the situation in a very convincing light that Kent might eat a suspension for this. If you asked me if that was possible yesterday I wouldn't have believed it.

I know we went over this already but it was really hilarious how many of the SCG pro players seemed to rally behind the actions of Ketter whereas most of the Plat / Silver / Gold / whatever pros were calling BS on that

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It was mentioned upthread that each deck would have 3 partners, 2 enemy-colored and one ally-colored (e.g. WUBR would have WB, UB, and UR partners). I assumed there was a source for that.

If it's 4 legends of which 2 are partners then yeah 55 new commanders.

If that's the case, the UB partner in your example would not be able to be used as a commander in the WUBR deck because there is no corresponding WR one. Which is why I'm confused.

There is no combination of three two-color dudes that all fit into the same four-color deck as commanders.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

I know we went over this already but it was really hilarious how many of the SCG pro players seemed to rally behind the actions of Ketter whereas most of the Plat / Silver / Gold / whatever pros were calling BS on that

Sam black sided with him though. That is something.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Didn't notice this before, but this wouldn't be an option anyway because the "partner" mechanic explicitly states that "you can have two commanders if both have 'partner.'"

There is no combination of three two-color dudes that all fit into the same four-color deck as commanders.

The allied one wouldn't be a commander in the precon deck (if things are as people are assuming), but that doesn't mean you can't make your own decks with any two partner commanders you want.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 25, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I feel like with how much commander happens across the world WOTC would put more into it. Even though I have personal stake in it at all, it seems pretty annoying to have as little support as it does.

Support in what sense? The format has as big a cardpool as you can get and they give it a yearly influx of Commander-specific decks. If you mean sanctioning the format I can see an argument that "legitimizing" it would go against its casual roots, but for as much as people complain about the Sheldon braintrust dictating the rules and banlist I would think that Wizards has the experience to do a better job with those topics (though people would still complain of course). And only crazy people would watch a sanctioned EDH tournament.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Previous iterations of commander also had legendary creatures in the decks that couldn't be your commander as is. It's not a big deal.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

Previous iterations of commander also had legendary creatures in the decks that couldn't be your commander as is. It's not a big deal.

Yeah but why put a specific legendary with an ability only useful in the command zone if you will never be able to use it as a commander in the base deck? Doesn't seem very likely.

However, assuming they do allied coloured commanders next year, it would be cool if they added a secondary or tertiary commander with the partner ability, just to give more options. I don't think the chances of that are very likely, as I assume they want to keep the keyword within this 'block', but still...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oath of Druids will always scare and confuse me.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
EDH folks get way more support than cube folks when it comes to wotc casual support and cube is clearly the superior format.

Though cubes usually get some good poo poo from the commander sets but this one is especially hostile to cube both in theory and the v limited amount of cards spoiled so far.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Star Man posted:

:staredog:

I mean, not that Oath wasn't already legal in Commander, but it was one of those things where people mostly didn't *have* Oath of Druids.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

That's actually a really cool reprint!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Lord of Hats posted:

:staredog:

I mean, not that Oath wasn't already legal in Commander, but it was one of those things where people mostly didn't *have* Oath of Druids.

What? Oath's aren't worth much at all since they're banned in Legacy and aren't actually good in Vintage. The problem is that Oath also isn't good in EDH - you're just immediately the #1 target and there isn't a creature good enough make up for the fact that your opponents get first crack at their own creature while also keeping your Oath around long enough to get back to your own turn.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hellsau posted:

What? Oath's aren't worth much at all since they're banned in Legacy and aren't actually good in Vintage. The problem is that Oath also isn't good in EDH - you're just immediately the #1 target and there isn't a creature good enough make up for the fact that your opponents get first crack at their own creature while also keeping your Oath around long enough to get back to your own turn.

This reprint is almost certainly going into the group hug precon so I guess giving other people first crack at it is the entire point

EDIT: Wouldn't surprise it me if it had all four non-black Oaths actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

This reprint is almost certainly going into the group hug precon so I guess giving other people first crack at it is the entire point

EDIT: Wouldn't surprise it me if it had all four non-black Oaths actually

if they reprint that worthless piece of poo poo also known as Oath of Mages I will be extremely shocked

• Locked thread