Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Final round next week for a position that sounds awesome but also very daunting. Going to work on a new team in a language you haven't used much is pretty intimidating but the amount of growth I feel like I could get as part of this team seems incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Final round next week for a position that sounds awesome but also very daunting. Going to work on a new team in a language you haven't used much is pretty intimidating but the amount of growth I feel like I could get as part of this team seems incredible.

Good luck!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Got rejected from a place that had me do a 6-hour take-home that I completely nailed. I guess I hosed up the 30 minute "Debug this Java code that's intentionally written poorly and has a whole slew of bugs in Sublime text without any access to the Java API docs while we sit here and watch you do it" and "Design (X) completely vague feature of a major app you've never thought about before".

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Got rejected from a place that had me do a 6-hour take-home that I completely nailed. I guess I hosed up the 30 minute "Debug this Java code that's intentionally written poorly and has a whole slew of bugs in Sublime text without any access to the Java API docs while we sit here and watch you do it" and "Design (X) completely vague feature of a major app you've never thought about before".

Did they flat out tell you they were rejecting you? Or did they just have someone else who also nailed the 6 hour take home, and did better on the 30 minute Java thing? I've never found it helpful being so critical of yourself over something that you maybe didn't even gently caress up, but just were not perfect enough for. There is a difference.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Skandranon posted:

Did they flat out tell you they were rejecting you? Or did they just have someone else who also nailed the 6 hour take home, and did better on the 30 minute Java thing? I've never found it helpful being so critical of yourself over something that you maybe didn't even gently caress up, but just were not perfect enough for. There is a difference.

They gave me the "We are not continuing with your candidacy at this time. We thought your skills were lacking in a few areas and would need to see improvement before we would feel comfortable making an offer. Let us know if you'd like feedback" or some poo poo. I told them I'd love some feedback, but I think I was a bit passive-aggressive in how I told them I would love to provide some feedback about their process, which I thought went backwards after the take-home assignment.

E: gently caress it, nobody is gonna guess what company it is. The question was "Design the flow of api calls, data storage, etc for the timeline feature of (major social media application)".

E2: For the record I have 2.5 years of experience and am applying to just "SWE" type roles, not "Senior Engineer" or anything.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 24, 2016

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
After all this, would you do another 6 hours homework ?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Probably not 6 hours. That said, I did a 2 hour assignment, then had a 90-minute Skype session where I had to add a feature to that. I enjoyed the assignment and the Skype session very much, actually, and hope they call me back.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The only time I did a take home project, for DigitalOcean, they never gave me feedback or got back to me one way or the other. This was after a few skype interviews with managers that went well. So, gently caress DigitalOcean, and that's the last take home project I'll ever do. I would take an automated, time constrained coding test, though.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I felt more inclined to do take home stuff because it's very low stress to me. I can do it in my own element and it's more reflective of me coding on a whiteboard or even Sublime.

Am I just interviewing with lovely places?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I felt more inclined to do take home stuff because it's very low stress to me. I can do it in my own element and it's more reflective of me coding on a whiteboard or even Sublime.

Am I just interviewing with lovely places?
Not necessarily. "Take home" can run the gamut from "obviously trying to get work for free" to "filtering for folks who don't mind coding off-hours or off the clock" but you're early enough in your career that I wouldn't sweat doing them. Especially if you don't mind the work itself, but you should be applying some extra scrutiny on places that ask that. Also, since it does serve as a crude filter, you won't be working with anyone with a family so I'd ask about the senior engineering staff and try to suss out if there's someone there you would be learning from. As a mid-level, a solid mentor would be way up on my list.

I had one place that wanted to do a trial 8 hour day as an interview stage. I sent back my contracting rate.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

I had one place that wanted to do a trial 8 hour day as an interview stage. I sent back my contracting rate.

100% correct response.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

JawnV6 posted:

Surely they can't actually expect you to be a net benefit to their company in a single day. Common wisdom seems to be that it takes at least a couple weeks for someone to ramp up and be productive.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ralith posted:

Surely they can't actually expect you to be a net benefit to their company in a single day. Common wisdom seems to be that it takes at least a couple weeks for someone to ramp up and be productive.

I'm sure that someone there said, "interviews are bullshit, let's put them in a REAL work environment instead!" The first part of the thought I applaud but the whole plan was not thought out very well.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Che Delilas posted:

I'm sure that someone there said, "interviews are bullshit, let's put them in a REAL work environment instead!" The first part of the thought I applaud but the whole plan was not thought out very well.
I mean, it's manifestly not a case of trying to get work done for free. An otherwise unreasonable demand on most peoples' time? Sure.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
The only take-home I got was from FutureX, which does firmware and whatnot for POS card readers. They gave me a C file and asked me to explain everything that should be changed about it. Basically the idea was to infer the intention of the code based on the function names and then fix the wrong implementation. There was no time limit but I finished it in about 30 minutes and added some suggestions on making it more consistent. They called me in for an on-site but I already had a bird in the hand by then, and San Antonio doesn't have weed stores.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Che Delilas posted:

I'm sure that someone there said, "interviews are bullshit, let's put them in a REAL work environment instead!"

It's amazing how many of my interviews have tried so desperately to do this and failed so miserably.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ralith posted:

I mean, it's manifestly not a case of trying to get work done for free. An otherwise unreasonable demand on most peoples' time? Sure.

And they should compensate you for that in order to make it reasonable. If they don't suck at filtering out people before that step, it shouldn't be an unbearable cost. They're already paying multiple employees to take time away from presumably productive work to spend parts of that day with you, so it already costs the business about a day of salary or more and if they can't afford to double that, they probably can't afford to hire, either.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In the US, they have to compensate you for a working interview at at least minimum wage.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ralith posted:

1) I am that awesome. Are... are you not??
2) It was a startup, so the relative complexity of the product and the company wouldn't take that long to get a simple intuition for. Think of a Kickstarter, could you materially help a kickstarter in a day? Most could benefit from a professional hour or two.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I know of at least one company in SF that has a week long trial, not just a day. It is paid, and supposedly well, but drat I would never go for that unless it was a dream job.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
What you probably mean is you wouldn't take a week of your own vacation to work for another company.
But... If you are unemployed then why not right ?

And that's the problem with that kind of week-long "interview" : You filter out the more employable candidates.

I believe we as devs/scrummaster/team lead/managers are to blame in part for the way we conduct interview and following the trends.

I mean when we hire someone, they are on trial... If they can't do the job they will get canned within a month. I know there are countries where it's almost impossible to fire someone once you hired them but that's not the case in North America.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Good luck learning the codebase for our major system in one month lol

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Tbh, I don't think I've been responsible for any codebase so large that I couldn't read the whole thing within a week.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

AskYourself posted:

What you probably mean is you wouldn't take a week of your own vacation to work for another company.
But... If you are unemployed then why not right ?

And that's the problem with that kind of week-long "interview" : You filter out the more employable candidates.

Personally? The reason why not to do that if I'm not employed is clear: I could be spending that week interviewing for other jobs.

Your second point is a good one, though, that certainly people who are unemployed or otherwise more desperate are more likely to willing to take that time.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Counterpoint: you're gonna kvetch about the fact that every 3-5 years you have to spend several of your probably paid vacation days to score another job that will pay you 2-3x the median household income a year? :qq:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Like some companies are obviously dumb: I'm not gonna do free work for you, nor am I going to quit my job to do a one month trial period where there's a 50% chance you say 'no thanks' at the end. But uhh, yeah I will bite the bullet and do a day of interviews. 2 of 3 day long interviews I've done have been paid (and travel, lodging, food was paid for all of them), the other one wasn't a ridiculous hardship or anything.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 13, 2020

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

JawnV6 posted:

1) I am that awesome. Are... are you not??
We're talking about a company's reasonable expectations for an typical new engineering employee, not anyone's particular abilities :colbert:

JawnV6 posted:

2) It was a startup, so the relative complexity of the product and the company wouldn't take that long to get a simple intuition for. Think of a Kickstarter, could you materially help a kickstarter in a day? Most could benefit from a professional hour or two.
Oh, for a relatively high-level role in very small product or young company I can definitely see it. I'm used to thinking in terms of joining large existing teams which already have a number of more experienced engineers who've already knocked out the low hanging fruit.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah not everywhere in North America is the average dev salary 2x-3x the average houseold income. But I don't know of a company here that would ask me to trial for a week.
But you prove my point that we as a community are to blame for these weird hiring practice.

Do they ask doctor to do a couple of trial surgery before hiring them ? Or Lawyers ? What about Structural engineer ?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

AskYourself posted:

Do they ask doctor to do a couple of trial surgery before hiring them ? Or Lawyers ? What about Structural engineer ?

All of these professions are strictly licensed, and getting a license requires demonstrating competence in the field. I'm not aware of any real equivalent in software dev.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Here calling yourself a Software Engineer do require a license.

Here is not silicon valley of course.

Truth is, getting your license does not prove you are a good dev.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 25, 2016

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
All of those professions actually do practical poo poo in schooling and internships, fellowships, etc for their profession. The problem is arrogance, autism, and the fetishization of the 10x developer, which everyone thinks they are making a pretty poo poo, uneven, and impractical interview process.

My preference would be 3 1-hour sessions of coding a real problem on a laptop on-sight somewhere. I'd even do that twice somewhere I really liked the company.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah I agree.

It's a big ego game where we expect candidate to play a game of wits with the interviewer while at the same time the candidate must not show total dominance over his interviewee or he'll fear for his own position.

Also we would like others to see our brillance without having to go through said game of wits.

Catch-22 and all that.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Counterpoint: you're gonna kvetch about the fact that every 3-5 years you have to spend several of your probably paid vacation days to score another job that will pay you 2-3x the median household income a year? :qq:

Counter-counterpoint: the salary you end up with ought not to justify loving with you during the hiring process whether it's minimum wage or six figgie fucktard level.

Maybe if your base puts you in 1%er territory, but then there should be some public humiliation involved to cross that line.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I'd rather the process for hiring devs be more like hiring experienced sales guys:

What have you built and how has it benefited previous companies (quantifiable metrics)?
What value are you bringing to me, your new employer, that I can quantify in the first few months?

And then, if after a few months you don't deliver, they shitcan you.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ralith posted:

We're talking about a company's reasonable expectations for an typical new engineering employee, not anyone's particular abilities :colbert:

Oh, for a relatively high-level role in very small product or young company I can definitely see it. I'm used to thinking in terms of joining large existing teams which already have a number of more experienced engineers who've already knocked out the low hanging fruit.
I think 90%+ of the disagreements on this forum are folks talking past each other from sub-disciplines or company types.

AskYourself posted:

It's a big ego game where we expect candidate to play a game of wits with the interviewer while at the same time the candidate must not show total dominance over his interviewee or he'll fear for his own position.
I'm not sure "total dominance" would fly for a whole host of reasons aside from an irrational fear.

But for pollyanna and other folks in the peanut gallery: someone demonstrating they can take every single one of your responsibilities and execute on them should be a joyous moment. In a well-run company it means you're freed up to work on bigger & better things. Training your own replacement happens, but it should be outside of normal operating conditions.

AskYourself posted:

Truth is, getting your license does not prove you are a good dev.
Here it's wholly separate from "good dev" or any practical technical concerns, almost to the point of absurdity.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

No? It's apples-to-apples with hiring practices for other places, his reasoning wasn't contingent on currently being employed.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

B-Nasty posted:

I'd rather the process for hiring devs be more like hiring experienced sales guys:

What have you built and how has it benefited previous companies (quantifiable metrics)?
What value are you bringing to me, your new employer, that I can quantify in the first few months?

And then, if after a few months you don't deliver, they shitcan you.

How are you possibly going to get quantifiable metrics for individual software engineers and attach meaning to them? It's also pretty much impossible for an outsider to quantify value to a company as it's going to be project based.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

asur posted:

How are you possibly going to get quantifiable metrics for individual software engineers and attach meaning to them? It's also pretty much impossible for an outsider to quantify value to a company as it's going to be project based.
There's all kinds of software contributions that can drastically reduce the amount of datacenter floorspace, specialized hardware, or bandwidth you have to buy, or improve customer retention, or bring in customers from competitors. Uber had a blog post a while back where they boasted about how they'd replaced JSON with a more compact format and saved a ton on archival storage (speaking of fixes you could come up with in under an hour...). There's also all kinds of contributions that don't do any of those nice quantifiable things, unfortunately.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
You have some good point, individuals can bring in some values by accomplishing tasks.

A lot of people could claim the fame to that : The Executive who assigned the budget needed to hire you, the manager and dev(s) who decided to hire you, the business analyst who came up with the story, the product owner who pruned the backlog to include that feature, the software architect who designed how to implement the solution, you for actually coding it, the QA analyst who made sure it was bug free, the previous dev who coded regression test to make sure you didn't break anything, the DevOps team who deployed that feature, you go go as far as saying the payroll clerk who wrote your check so that you would sit still long enough to produce the required code.

Maybe the company you work at does not have all these positions and you came up with the idea and did all the politic work to make it happen as well as the technical know-how to execute it, but it's never as black and white as saying it is only one individual who made it happen.

I agree that coming with these points (I made this and it improved that by x percent) does show a concern the big picture.

I probably sound sour, and I have no real solution to that problem. What I know is the first step to fix a problem is recognize it and identify my place in that problem. Then I can find a solution.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ralith posted:

There's all kinds of software contributions that can drastically reduce the amount of datacenter floorspace, specialized hardware, or bandwidth you have to buy, or improve customer retention, or bring in customers from competitors. Uber had a blog post a while back where they boasted about how they'd replaced JSON with a more compact format and saved a ton on archival storage (speaking of fixes you could come up with in under an hour...). There's also all kinds of contributions that don't do any of those nice quantifiable things, unfortunately.

That's exactly my point. Even if we ignore that pretty much all of that is done by teams and not a single person, someone could be in Adwords for Google and increase revenue by hundreds of millions of dollars while the person working on autonomous vehicles at a startup isn't generating any revenue. Even in the same company it's hard to quantifiably rate software engineers and it's going to be even harder across companies.

It's also not simplistic for large companies to fire people. While the law in most of not all states allows for firing without cause, companies are still worried about being sued for discrimination. I assume sales gets around this since they have hard metrics to point to, but the same isn't true for software engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
My point is that sometimes you can plausibly claim to have quantitatively benefited a company, and there's a benefit to be had in taking advantage of that, perhaps even to the point of specifically seeking out roles/tasks that enable it.