Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

swamp waste posted:

You're missing the scope of the issue, I think. I mean look at the first part of the sentence you quoted. She had profound problems connecting with other people. That'll wear someone down pretty severely over time.

Everything about her is very characteristic of female Asperger's, which tends to be expressed differently than male Asperger's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Wiggy Marie posted:

It's worth noting that this article re-release coincides with a new movie about this case. Apologies if that was mentioned before, but it does give everything a creepy "for publicity" feel.

The movie is really good (though obviously very sad). If you liked that article you should definitely see it. I went yesterday.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pick posted:

Everything about her is very characteristic of female Asperger's, which tends to be expressed differently than male Asperger's.
Huh for real? I had no idea there were gender based differences with that. Seems like an interesting thing for me to read up more on

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Jose posted:

getting hit by a train is bad.

fun hater posted:

please do not start a derail

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

FourLeaf posted:

The movie is really good (though obviously very sad). If you liked that article you should definitely see it. I went yesterday.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm not sure if it's being shown in this area so I'll have to take a look.

Rondette posted:

Crass capitalization on old tragedies/events? WW1 Christmas Truce talk? Time to share this mawkish and nauseating advert from 2014 that trades in on both those things!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoYsWavqL04

I hate the recent trend of these bullshit, emotional hijacking adverts. These stupid things are hotly anticipated every year in the UK around Christmas time..

Wow this is terrible. Thanks for the share, I had no idea such a thing existed. Oh the Christmas spirit! So heartwarming!

Wiggy Marie has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Oct 24, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Huh for real? I had no idea there were gender based differences with that. Seems like an interesting thing for me to read up more on

From what I've read, there's not really significant gender based differences. It's the social expectations of genders that have such an impact - women with Asperger's are thought to learn by rote memorization a lot of social cues and behaviors because girls are expected to behave in certain ways. Men and boys tend to have fewer and looser social expectations on them so Asperger's tends to be much more obvious.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cythereal posted:

From what I've read, there's not really significant gender based differences. It's the social expectations of genders that have such an impact - women with Asperger's are thought to learn by rote memorization a lot of social cues and behaviors because girls are expected to behave in certain ways. Men and boys tend to have fewer and looser social expectations on them so Asperger's tends to be much more obvious.

It also has to do with gendered stereotypes. Girls who are quiet, poor at social cues and socially awkward are "nice, quiet, shy". Boys who act similarly are "creepy".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

That is, it's more typified for women. Also things like eating disorders are common for women with Aspergers, because it's a socially acceptable outlet for obsessive behavior (and eating generally tends to be affected).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Being a soldier, the Christmas Truces of WWI make me really depressed.

It's amazing what happens when you realize the other guy is a human just like you, with his own fears, doubts, and beliefs. It's disheartening to be labeled a criminal for not wanting to kill.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Which is why the generals flipped their poo poo

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
The tale of the Tasmanian Aboriginals is tragic but really so is the plight of most Aboriginal communities in colonized/invaded countries.

For something unnerving rather than just loving depressing, Aboriginals convicted of a crime often elect to undergo "traditional" punishment such as getting speared/clubbed in addition to judicial punishment. It's hard to find online articles on tribal punishment that aren't either basic news stories or elaborations on "bloody boongs don't deserve civilisation and should thank us for forcing it on them" :smith: , but the NLA has an informative page on the topic for students with some interesting links and quotes:

Henry Long posted:

“I got speared in the leg, too, for being cheeky. I got hit on the head, too, by all my old people. The spear came out of the calf of the leg. My old father did that. I was a cheeky bloke fighting the other fellas over some silly things I been doing in my young days. I was going with the wrong girls. My skin group is Milangka. I was with someone from a wrong skin group…

“After you’ve taken your punishment then people don’t worry about you.”

quote:

Singing a person might still be practices today. Paul Clune recounts an incident in Perth:

“In March this year I sat and intermittently spoke for two hours beside a tribal man at Royal Perth Hospital who’d flown to Perth from Broome that morning. He was there because his 40-year-old large, long, tribal initiation chest scars had inexplicably and suddenly erupted into festering pus wounds.

“He and I gently acknowledged that he had more than likely been sung by a Featherfoot.”

Tales of people being sung to death are far more common prior to the 1930's. Here's a podcast on the topic. It's still taken seriously by many people, not just aboriginals. In 2006 it was discussed an an option for an officer cleared of wrongdoing regarding a Palm Island death in custody.

Palm Island of course has it's own terrible history:

quote:

Blacks (Aboriginals) were not allowed on Mango Avenue, where whites lived. Blacks were required to salute any white person they passed. White staff got choice cuts of meat; blacks got bones. Blacks had their milk watered down. At the cinema whites sat on chairs carried by black servants; blacks sat on blankets. White day-trippers were carried to the shore on black backs. Whites paid blacks to perform corroborees or shimmy up trees for coconuts. Permits were needed to fish; permits were needed to swim. There were garden competitions and European dancing, and those who did not participate were questioned by police. A brass band learnt to play jazz and marching tunes, but failure to attend band practice could result in a jail sentence. Each superintendent “got the law in his own mouth”. Even in the 1960s a man could be arrested for waving to his wife, or for laughing. A teenager whose cricket ball broke off a short length of branch would spend the night locked up. If anyone complained, they were sent to nearby Eclipse Island with only bread and water. On Eclipse prisoners tried to catch fish with their bare hands.

At one point it was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's most violent place outside of a war zone.

The Sausages has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Oct 24, 2016

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Bonus thing: Aboriginal Headbanging (click link for photos):

Vice Magazine posted:

Violent riots had erupted between two of the town’s largest gangs and for a moment it looked like the Australian Army (because there really is such a thing) was going to have to be brought in to settle the fighting. But what really blew us away was that the town, which is named Wadeye (pronounced “Wad-air”), was split up into gangs named after heavy metal bands. There were the Judas Priest Boys, the Evil Warriors, and the Slayer Mob. We immediately dropped everything else we were working on and embarked north from Melbourne to Wadeye to see it for ourselves. Nothing could have prepared us for what we found.

In Wadeye, over half of the town’s population is under 20 years old. Couple this with the fact that there wasn’t a high school in town until a few years ago (even now, the attendance record for both primary and high school is under a third) and you have a lot of bored kids roaming the streets with gently caress-all to do besides gently caress about. The community’s solution? Hire a “kid wrangler” who drives around town in a flatbed truck with a cage mounted on it, rounding up errant kids. When that didn’t accomplish anything, they built a swimming pool and instituted a “No School, No Pool” policy. Things looked up for a while, but then the school began to burst at its seams. Teachers were breaking down and the classrooms were too small to cope with the influx of students who wanted to be able to swim. The new solution? Encourage less kids to come to school. Welcome to Wadeye.

Every single bench, wall, and door—regardless of whether it is inside a house or on the outside of the local council building—bears the scars of a whole array of scratched or scrawled gang names, logos, and taunts. Throughout the different neighborhoods, entire roads are marked with huge “Iron Maidens” and “Judas Priests” just to let you know whose turf you’re on.

There was an underlying feeling of suppression among the girls and women of Wadeye. They were far more shy and inhibited than the men but projected this incredible feeling of tenderness. Wandering around the town and meeting the young girls and women, I couldn’t help but wonder how many of them had suffered or were still suffering from the town’s reportedly rampant physical and sexual abuse. This girl, seen here with her daughter, was 17. She lived in a house with her cousin, who was a 24-year-old grandmother.

We met these younger members of the Slayer Mob one morning in the schoolyard. They were on the roof trying to nail parrots off branches high up in the eucalyptus trees with slingshots made from the insides of soccer balls. This parrot was unlucky enough to survive the hit, and the kids told us they were taking it back to their house to domesticate it. Judging by the amount of bright green feathers and plucked carcasses lying around the area, I didn’t really fancy its chances.

These were some of the older members of the Slayer Mob at their gang house. I’m a huge Slayer fan but I’d say I have absolutely nothing on these guys. I asked about their disputes with rival gangs, which can escalate to full-scale riots. The reply, which was delivered without an ounce of jest, explained one massive brawl that started because members of the Judas Priest gang claimed that Rob Halford was the best heavy metal singer to have ever existed.

Can you imagine watching these guys fight the Judas Priest gang during a lightning storm in the desert in the middle of the night while “Angel of Death” plays at deafening volume from some magical speaker in the sky? Maybe I’m gay for wanting to see that so bad that I can taste it… but I don’t think so.

Wadeye was originally named Port Keats back in the 1930s when it was founded as a Roman Catholic mission station. Today the town still follows strong Christian traditions but also embraces the native Aboriginal spiritual beliefs. To an outsider, this gets pretty confusing. Jesus is black and all the kids wear Satanic heavy metal t-shirts, yet around their necks hang rosary beads. One of the strangest things I saw when we were there was while attending the baptism of a newborn baby at the local church. Heavy metal music from the surrounding neighborhood drowned out the priest’s blessing. Oh, and the dad was wearing that old Anthrax tour t-shirt that reads “Follow me and die!”

Piling 12 people from an Aboriginal heavy metal gang into a rental vehicle and driving it through the bush for a few hours to a soundtrack of Judas Priest is a recipe for trouble. Luckily for us the only things that got hurt in the end were Skippy the kangaroo here—and the jeep. Immediately after hitting the ’roo, but before we had slowed to a stop, all the doors swung open and the younger gang members rushed back down the road to the dying animal. The first thing that came to my mind was, “poo poo, where’s the nearest animal hospital?” The first thing that came to the ten-year-old boys’ minds was, “Let’s bash it over the head with a stone and then cut its balls off.”

We had been told that there had not been any gang violence for a few months in Wadeye but it didn’t stop us from feeling somewhat apprehensive when we were invited to a party that every rival gang in the town was also heading to. Instead of fighting or huddling in their respective corners glaring at each other, each gang brought with them their favorite album from their respective band and handed it to the DJ upon entering. So when, for example, “Run to the Hills” kicked in, the entire Maiden gang rushed to the front lawn to play air guitar and mosh in front of the other gangs to prove their allegiance to their mob and band.:unsmith:

This guy was incredible. His name was Sebastian and although he was a member of the Judas Priest gang he claimed he didn’t like heavy metal but preferred country music and rock and roll. When it was his turn to rock the dance floor all the gangs cleared the front lawn and he came out of nowhere and absolutely killed it. When his song was up he disappeared back into his house without saying anything to anyone, then shut the door.

These photos were taken inside the family house of two brothers from the Slayer gang. You can see how the walls are covered in graffiti. Aside from that there was absolutely nothing else in the rooms. No tables, chairs, couches, or even beds.

Signs warning of the dangers of petrol sniffing and smoking weed scattered the town. We saw no evidence of any petrol sniffing, but ganja was pretty much ubiquitous.

The kids in Wadeye are amazingly friendly and confident. And they all loving love metal.

This drunk pig was on the wall of a pub we stopped at on the way home.

For a town so obsessed with music, it was strange that these five CDs were the extent of the music available in the only store. And like everything for sale in Wadeye, they were really expensive—almost twice what you’d pay in a bigger city. When we asked, most of the people told us they get their music from Darwin, a six-hour drive northwest of Wadeye.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

I was going to mention that everything about her story is very understandable to me, I guess maybe this is why.

I mean, when you've been taught all your life that your real worth as a woman is based on your attractiveness, and you can't figure out why no one wants to date you and are hopelessly socially awkward, it can be really really difficult to feel like your life has any meaning, no matter what other accomplishments you rack up. I'm also reminded of that astronaut who stalked her love interest's girlfriend across the country a few years back - anyone remember that case?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

pookel posted:

I was going to mention that everything about her story is very understandable to me, I guess maybe this is why.

I mean, when you've been taught all your life that your real worth as a woman is based on your attractiveness, and you can't figure out why no one wants to date you and are hopelessly socially awkward, it can be really really difficult to feel like your life has any meaning, no matter what other accomplishments you rack up. I'm also reminded of that astronaut who stalked her love interest's girlfriend across the country a few years back - anyone remember that case?

Lisa Nowak. The wiki seems pretty thorough.

Here's an NYT article from the time.

Doesn't seem to be much recent stuff though.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Enjoying the thread to the point I'm now working through the archived 2013 version: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522371&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=77

Is anyone else gearing up with unnerving World War I stories for the upcoming armistice anniversary?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hope this hasn't been posted already, I skimmed back and didn't see it.
The identity of double-identity thief whose actions hadn't come to light until she committed suicide while known as "Lori Ruff" is finally discovered.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I don't understand why spearing is unnerving, though?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What is sung to death? I googled it and the only stuff I found assumed that you already know what it is.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BattleMaster posted:

What is sung to death? I googled it and the only stuff I found assumed that you already know what it is.

Basically putting a curse on someone so they die.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Loomer posted:

I don't understand why spearing is unnerving, though?

I thought it was some Saint Sebastian poo poo, but with spears instead of arrows. What else is it?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Basically it seems like the Aboriginal equivalent of a voodoo hex. They sing you to curse you, which basically makes awful poo poo happen to you until you have either (assumedly) made restitution through suffering or you die.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

That drat Satyr posted:

Basically it seems like the Aboriginal equivalent of a voodoo hex. They sing you to curse you, which basically makes awful poo poo happen to you until you have either (assumedly) made restitution through suffering or you die.

See also: "Pointing the Bone"

In :siren: breaking :siren: news, Four people got minced by a family ride at Dreamworld, a theme park on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. Not a lot of details but the response workers are traumatised by what they saw. Four people receiving "injuries incompatible with life", likely because they got sucked into belts...what a hosed way to go :smith:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

According to the radio, two ejected from the ride and two... the opposite of ejected. Injected?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

DumbparameciuM posted:

In :siren: breaking :siren: news, Four people got minced by a family ride at Dreamworld, a theme park on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. Not a lot of details but the response workers are traumatised by what they saw. Four people receiving "injuries incompatible with life", likely because they got sucked into belts...what a hosed way to go :smith:

continuing the long tradition of people getting killed horribly in amusement parks, huh?

quote:

Lisa Walker, a New Zealander visiting from New Guinea where she works as a police officer, was one of the patrons trickling out and said she had been on the Thunder River Rapids ride only 10 or 15 minutes before the accident. She went back to the area after hearing commotion and sirens.

“We were around the area afterwards and saw people coming out very distressed. We saw a lady and a man run back who must have had family in there.”

A distressed young girl was being comforted by police, Walker said.

Referring to the Thunder River Rapids Ride, Walker said: “It is one of the most tame rides here and certainly one for the families.”

quote:

Two riders were understood to be trapped by the underwater conveyor belt after the ride in front up-ended and two people were trapped in the raft. Two other riders were able to escape.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Enjoying the thread to the point I'm now working through the archived 2013 version: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522371&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=77

Is anyone else gearing up with unnerving World War I stories for the upcoming armistice anniversary?

We've got two years until the centenary, I think there's no rush.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DumbparameciuM posted:

Jesus. That poor girl probably saw her mom die. :smith:
She's just about my daughter's age.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I live in Kansas City, where Liberty Memorial is, which houses the National WWI museum. They have life size dioramas of trenches that you can peer into (with sounds), and a diorama of a bomb crater that you walk into and look up from the bottom. I have never been closer to being sick in a museum than when I walked into that crater. It's one thing to see pictures, but to actually be surrounded by dirt and debris 20 feet high...unnerving is a very good word for it.

Anyway, I highly recommend Liberty Memorial. It's very well done and has a ton of fascinating artifacts and exhibits.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I live in Kansas City, where Liberty Memorial is, which houses the National WWI museum. They have life size dioramas of trenches that you can peer into (with sounds), and a diorama of a bomb crater that you walk into and look up from the bottom. I have never been closer to being sick in a museum than when I walked into that crater. It's one thing to see pictures, but to actually be surrounded by dirt and debris 20 feet high...unnerving is a very good word for it.

Anyway, I highly recommend Liberty Memorial. It's very well done and has a ton of fascinating artifacts and exhibits.

Me too - I can spend days in there. I also highly recommend listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast, he does 4-5 episodes about WW1.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

value-brand cereal posted:

I thought it was some Saint Sebastian poo poo, but with spears instead of arrows. What else is it?

You go out in the middle of nowhere with your people, and they take a spear and they drive it through the meat of your thigh or shin. Usually, they only do it once, and that's that. You limp away with them and they fix your leg up, and the matter is settled so long as you behave yourself afterwards. You usually aren't bound to anything or immobilized - a big part of it is standing there, facing your consequences like a man (and it is like a man. Spearing is not a punishment for women in like, 99% of customary law) and owning what you did. You face it, you face the punishment, and whoever you wronged (or their family, if they died) gets to see justice done in person.

Usually, if you hear about a harsher penalty it's down to one of two things: Either some heinous poo poo that to be frank deserves a severe punishment (like beating your wife to death or serious injury, raping a kid, etc. Stuff we'd think needs a lengthy prison sentence, which they don't view as enough) or a breach of a major cultural taboo (which we have trouble in the West seeing as as serious as they are for the people who hold to them.) These also aren't ad hoc affairs where a couple of drunk dickheads do it, this is justice business every bit as serious and solemn as a criminal trial in the western model is, presided over by elders and with arguments for each side, and with the actual spearing and similar punishments very closely controlled and supervised by those elders.

When it was more common, these were also people who knew their tools very well. Unless they want you to die, you aren't going to die from a spearing. Nor are you going to be permanently crippled unless that's the idea, barring an unlucky infection.

That drat Satyr posted:

No, that's singing or equivalents. Spearing is a mundane, physical affair (mostly. It does have some spiritual and religious aspects, but the 'hex' is a different thing entirely.)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Loomer posted:

No, that's singing or equivalents. Spearing is a mundane, physical affair (mostly. It does have some spiritual and religious aspects, but the 'hex' is a different thing entirely.)
You quote someone saying "they sing you" to say "no, that's singing"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What I'm saying is that Singing and Spearing are two distinct things. Spearing does not involve a 'hex' or the other elements of singing and its equivalents.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The confusion is that Loomer thought That drat Satyr's reply was to value-brand cereal's post about spearing, as it came directly after it. Whereas I understood That drat Satyr to be replying to BattleMaster, which was asking about singing - and That drat Satyr mentions singing in his post, although he doesn't quote BattleMaster.

(if anybody is capable of following that - basically the guy was replying to an earlier post, not the one immediately preceding his, but didn't quote it)

I'm Australian and I've always understood spearing in the context of how bloody expensive and counter-intuitive prisons are, especially given the resources and frequently nomadic lifestyles of most Indigenous Australian tribes. But then it just occurred to me - did any of the indigenous groups practise slavery? A quick google shows up nothing.

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Oct 25, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

The confusion is that Loomer thought That drat Satyr's reply was to value-brand cereal's post about spearing, as it came directly after it. Whereas I understood That drat Satyr to be replying to BattleMaster, which was asking about singing - and That drat Satyr mentions signing in his post, although he doesn't quote BattleMaster.

(if anybody is capable of following that)

I'm Australian and I've always understood spearing in the context of how bloody expensive and counter-intuitive prisons are, especially given the resources and frequently nomadic lifestyles of most Indigenous Australian tribes. But then it just occurred to me - did any of the indigenous groups practise slavery? A quick google shows up nothing.

Native Americans did. Is there a history of large scale tribal conflict with Australian Aborigines? It'll usually go hand in hand with that kind of thing.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I know Native American groups practised slavery, I'm asking about Indigenous Australians. There were conflicts, for sure, but to my (very limited) understanding they were nowhere near the scale of what you saw in the Americas.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I know Native American groups practised slavery, I'm asking about Indigenous Australians. There were conflicts, for sure, but to my (very limited) understanding they were nowhere near the scale of what you saw in the Americas.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that as an example of "yes, aboriginals in other regions have practiced slavery so it's not an unreasonable thing to wonder about". Sometimes I forget that what's clear in my head isn't clear written down.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Oh, that's fine. I just meant more that it's (presumably) common knowledge that the native American tribes weren't all lovey dovey and that most of them had warrior/raiding cultures and practised slavery to differing extents. But it struck me as odd that I'd never heard about slavery within Australia prior to the arrival of the whites, when slavery is a pretty consistent theme across all cultures in history. At the very least, there's gotta be some element of raiding for new wives, right?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I think it's more the amount of resource scarcity in Australia. Slavery doesn't make sense when you've barely got enough for your own.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Have an unnerving article from the OSHA thread. I now have a new phobia after reading it.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/24/former-socceroo-steve-herczeg-died-after-catheter-connected-to-oxygen-coroner-told

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Spotify's weekly playlist algorithm decided to put a song about the Columbia shuttle disaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia_disaster on my playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8AisTXgAGA and since I was only 9 when it happened I decided to read up on it.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I had no idea that NASA knew about the issue with the shuttle but decided not to warn the crew

Director of Mission Operations Jon C. Harpold posted:

You know, there is nothing we can do about damage to the TPS [Thermal Protection System]. If it has been damaged it's probably better not to know. I think the crew would rather not know. Don't you think it would be better for them to have a happy successful flight and die unexpectedly during entry than to stay on orbit, knowing that there was nothing to be done, until the air ran out?

The unsettling part is that he's probably right.

Except:

Wikipedia posted:

The CAIB determined that a rescue mission, though risky, might have been possible provided NASA management had taken action soon enough.[59][60] Normally, a rescue mission is not possible, due to the time required to prepare a shuttle for launch, and the limited consumables (power, water, air) of an orbiting shuttle. However, Atlantis was well along in processing for a planned March 1 launch on STS-114, and Columbia carried an unusually large quantity of consumables due to an Extended Duration Orbiter package. The CAIB determined that this would have allowed Columbia to stay in orbit until flight day 30 (February 15). NASA investigators determined that Atlantis processing could have been expedited with no skipped safety checks for a February 10 launch. Hence, if nothing went wrong, there was a five-day overlap for a possible rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
We'll never know for sure, but my understanding is that the balance of current opinion is that the damage to Columbia could likely have been repaired in space because the size of the damage was a lot closer to the survivable margin than anybody thought. You don't need to fix the hole, just stuffing it with ablative materials may have been enough to get them back alive.