Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Strap a terror or fear causing banner onto a unit of nasty skulkers. Their AP bonus plus a rear charge and fear makes them devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
So this DLC marks the first time I've played TW games on harder difficulty. Most of the time I kind of just want an easy map painting experience where I spam big cool poo poo.

It's been super fun but I see a pattern emerging. Underway + lightning strike whack a stack. Is that what all higher difficulty games become?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fnordcircle posted:

So this DLC marks the first time I've played TW games on harder difficulty. Most of the time I kind of just want an easy map painting experience where I spam big cool poo poo.

It's been super fun but I see a pattern emerging. Underway + lightning strike whack a stack. Is that what all higher difficulty games become?

Until stacks stop running away from you instead of fighting, this is the best way to play.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Whew...even under the AI a level 29 Grimgor is a loving beast. I've had some close battles but the ending was never really in doubt. Sent Belegor and 2 thanes against him and yeah...that didn't pan out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Strap a terror or fear causing banner onto a unit of nasty skulkers. Their AP bonus plus a rear charge and fear makes them devastating.

These little fuckers are fantastic all around. So loving useful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I have never managed to have a coop campaign that has not bogged down into awful tedium at an alarming rate. My friend and I have tried multiple different faction combos and it almost always boils down to one doing well and the other doing terribly and needing to suckle off the first to not die or us barely managing to hold on to what we have with no forward progress; it always seems insanely harder than any singleplayer campaign I've played.

For example, we were just playing a Skarsnik(me)/Belegar(him) campaign(with the understanding that he'd take Eight Peaks) because they're right next to each other and are each others' primary enemies early game. I basically sputtered into having to siege Karak Norn out because I couldn't lure them out no matter what I did, so I was stymied for a dozen turns and had to borrow money from Belegar to keep solvent. I eventually took Norn and stabilized and then went on to take Hirn and then the situation basically reversed; my friend took Barak Varr around turn 30 and began needing desperate loans and military aid against a literal dozen greenskin stacks pouring out of the Badlands like a firehose. We managed to keep intact but it's been another 25 turns with literally zero forward progress made with even some backslide because one of the dozen orc stacks snuck around our front and burned one of his backfield cities. I have no idea what faction combo makes for a not super tedious coop campaign or if there's another way to approach this.

(Incidentally, Skarsnik is my new favorite LL but gently caress me if I understand how to reliably take Karak Norn early. Occasionally their stack just randomly leaves the city and you can Lightning Strike them to death but other times they just loving sit there and it completely fucks your early game in the rear end with no recourse.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Also worth noting from the same book, the sheep are dumb as bricks and assuming their "shepherds" don't eat them they often just walk off cliffs.

That's normal for sheep.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I have never managed to have a coop campaign that has not bogged down into awful tedium at an alarming rate. My friend and I have tried multiple different faction combos and it almost always boils down to one doing well and the other doing terribly and needing to suckle off the first to not die or us barely managing to hold on to what we have with no forward progress; it always seems insanely harder than any singleplayer campaign I've played.

For example, we were just playing a Skarsnik(me)/Belegar(him) campaign(with the understanding that he'd take Eight Peaks) because they're right next to each other and are each others' primary enemies early game. I basically sputtered into having to siege Karak Norn out because I couldn't lure them out no matter what I did, so I was stymied for a dozen turns and had to borrow money from Belegar to keep solvent. I eventually took Norn and stabilized and then went on to take Hirn and then the situation basically reversed; my friend took Barak Varr around turn 30 and began needing desperate loans and military aid against a literal dozen greenskin stacks pouring out of the Badlands like a firehose. We managed to keep intact but it's been another 25 turns with literally zero forward progress made with even some backslide because one of the dozen orc stacks snuck around our front and burned one of his backfield cities. I have no idea what faction combo makes for a not super tedious coop campaign or if there's another way to approach this.

(Incidentally, Skarsnik is my new favorite LL but gently caress me if I understand how to reliably take Karak Norn early. Occasionally their stack just randomly leaves the city and you can Lightning Strike them to death but other times they just loving sit there and it completely fucks your early game in the rear end with no recourse.)

Have one of you play a horde faction.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm having that experience at the moment; my Belegar dwarfs are continually on negative income and my Empire buddy is giving me 2000 gold every few turns.

What do you all build in the Vaults?

I'm currently running:

Karak Izor - Trinket Maker, Armoury, Brewery, Gunsmith
Karak Bhufdar - Ranger Barracks, Lumberyard, Gate
Zarakzil - Barracks, Trinket Maker, Gate

Other things I want to build in Karak Izor include a Hall of Oaths for Ironbreakers, an Engineer's Workshop for Gyrocopters, a Trading Depot for more money etc.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 25, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

fnordcircle posted:

I play on VH and never bother with lightning strike, so nah it's not the only way.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm having that experience at the moment; my Belegar dwarfs are continually on negative income and my Empire buddy is giving me 2000 gold every few turns.

What do you all build in the Vaults?

I'm currently running:

Karak Izor - Trinket Maker, Armoury, Brewery, Gunsmith
Karak Bhufdar - Ranger Barracks, Lumberyard, Gate
Zarakzil - Barracks, Trinket Maker, Gate

Other things I want to build in Karak Izor include a Hall of Oaths for Ironbreakers, an Engineer's Workshop for Gyrocopters, a Trading Depot for more money etc.

more like 4000, you stunted parasite

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I'm getting back into this game again after taking a break, and I really want to use Beastmen since they seem cool.

However, I'm having real issues with my economy and balancing it. Raiding seems to give gently caress all income and even battles and sacking aren't great. Also both my stacks are individually pretty weak and have issues taking on enemies solo, but if I pair them up I massively increase the amount of time between sackings and its hard to keep up my money.

:(

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zore posted:

So I'm getting back into this game again after taking a break, and I really want to use Beastmen since they seem cool.

However, I'm having real issues with my economy and balancing it. Raiding seems to give gently caress all income and even battles and sacking aren't great. Also both my stacks are individually pretty weak and have issues taking on enemies solo, but if I pair them up I massively increase the amount of time between sackings and its hard to keep up my money.

you'll be running a deficit, face that

get the techs/lord upgrades that increase sacking and looting. use brayherds to take tough targets, but also don't split up your hordes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All these crazy and unique lords sure make guys like Kemmler, Azhag and Gelt look even more lame and low effort.

Hopefully they revisit the starting lords and give them a tune up to what they been pumping out lately.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zore posted:

Raiding income is dependent on the province you're raiding. As Beastmen, with two armies, it's actually feasible to have a per-turn profit if you raid highly-developed provinces. Early on, though, you're generally better to loot and raze places for the quick income injection instead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Whorelord posted:

you'll be running a deficit, face that

get the techs/lord upgrades that increase sacking and looting. use brayherds to take tough targets, but also don't split up your hordes

To add to this, Lightning strike is almost mandatory for all Chaos and Beastmen hordes. You need to be able to bust up multiple stacks of armies marching together because mid/late game enemies will start coming at you in force.

Accept the fact that you will be operating on a debt. You can just barely eek in and break even if you've got nothing but ungors and only one army, but once you start upgrading them you're going into debt, period. Two individual armies seems to be the magic number for beastment and I like 3 for Chaos. Beastmen are a lot more inflexible with their income because they don't have the option to sack and leave a city standing. They have to burn it to the ground so they can't come back and re-pillage it later when they need a quick shot of cash. Thankfully, both can get some simply absurd incomes from sacks. Readily 5 figures for basically any city past tier 2.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zore posted:

The big thing with Beastmen are the upkeep reduction buildings and skills. With those you can ensure you are paying only a small fraction of what an ordinary faction would be paying. And yeah, they often tank your growth so that's a tradeoff you have to make.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Kanos posted:

Try going straight for karak norn before they can build up their starting stack - as in turn 1, embed the hero in skarsnik's army and underway as close as you can; turn 2, attack (siege or assault). I find I can reliably take it (let's say 9/10) even on legendary by leaning on the spider you start with.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not at super high difficulty levels, but as Skarsnik I found some advantage in sacking the human cities near your location. They are worth 9-10k a pop, and are generally poorly defended. Nobody cares if you gently caress up the secessionists, and the yellow Bretonnian faction can't easily counterattack you because of the terrain.

With that you can probably get enough money to fill up Skarsnik's stack enough to get a waaagh, maybe even buy a second stack of skulkers and then go to town.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Is there any up to date mod that makes all lords mortal? I'd love to play a very hard game with no save scumming where if my LL or the enemy's LL dies I won't see them again.

There are some but they no longer work. One added a -1000 wound recovery time skill to all LLs which worked well enough.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Belegar campaign is just begging for an LP, with goons taking the role of whoever Belegar is giving half his income to. I know I was selling NAPs to the Bretonnian minors, and I was fluffing it as trying to get them to invest money in my Eight Peaks crusade.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
THOSE WHO CAN'T KATHY CAN AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Or whatever it is that the dwarves say when you go into battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr Gentleman posted:

Try going straight for karak norn before they can build up their starting stack - as in turn 1, embed the hero in skarsnik's army and underway as close as you can; turn 2, attack (siege or assault). I find I can reliably take it (let's say 9/10) even on legendary by leaning on the spider you start with.

I tried this once and had the spider get shot to tiny pieces by the paired Thunderer units in the garrison while smashing down the gate, so I assumed it was a non-starter.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Kanos posted:

I tried this once and had the spider get shot to tiny pieces by the paired Thunderer units in the garrison while smashing down the gate, so I assumed it was a non-starter.

Hmm, maybe screen with the gobbo archers/spearmen you start with? Might be a roll of the AI dice for what they focus fire on. The other thing I've done is run the two night goblin squads you get up the wall on the other side, which usually draws one of their ranged. You can also make a run for the flag itself if it breaks right.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

fnordcircle posted:

THOSE WHO CAN'T KATHY CAN AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Or whatever it is that the dwarves say when you go into battle.

It's "Kazhakit Khazulid, HA!", which probably has a translation in the 4e dwarf book.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Triskelli posted:

It's "Kazhakit Khazulid, HA!", which probably has a translation in the 4e dwarf book.

I've always seen it as 'Khazukan Kazakit-ha!', but thinking too much about this sort of thing is liable to give you brain damage.

In actual content, it occurred to me that CA might have pushed back the Wood Elves in part so they could figure out magic (also the map). Bretonnia and the Wood Elves will have the first wizards capable of casting any of the Lores of Magic. It might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping they'll implement a function to allow you to choose lores, rather than having the Fey Enchantress limited to one or two specific ones.

vvv see this dude knows whats actually up

brocretin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 25, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I kind of expect the Wood Elves to still have specialized wizards instead of something more free form. They probably have a lot of unique assets that are taking the extra time to implement, and while the Athel Loren mini-campaign will probably be traditional (unite the forest through conquest or alliance, exterminate Beastmen), I really don't think they will have the standard gameplay in the Grand Campaign, since I can't see them occupying human/mountain settlements, so their expansion would be limited to Athel Loren itself, so they will likely have other goals away from the forest, which is probably a difficult gameplay loop to do well.

Also the Lore of Life is probably hell to balance.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Triskelli posted:

I bet it means something like "the Dwarfs are coming to wreck your poo poo", the usual.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
They're doing a really good job of keeping this game interesting for me, I'll tell you that. Every time I start to get a little bored there's a new DLC that adds something interesting.

Honestly as long as we get a fully-fleshed out Brettonia within the next month I'll be satisfied. I've used unlockers but I'd like to see the real deal.

I'll be bummed if the DLC datamine is true, though. Getting a 2nd undead faction before we get skaven, lizardpersons or ogres is weird. I hope they're doing it because Bretonnia and Tomb Kings got beef and that they'll be able to re-use a lot of assets to make it faster than Wood Elves has taken.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

fnordcircle posted:

They're doing a really good job of keeping this game interesting for me, I'll tell you that. Every time I start to get a little bored there's a new DLC that adds something interesting.

Honestly as long as we get a fully-fleshed out Brettonia within the next month I'll be satisfied. I've used unlockers but I'd like to see the real deal.

I'll be bummed if the DLC datamine is true, though. Getting a 2nd undead faction before we get skaven, lizardpersons or ogres is weird. I hope they're doing it because Bretonnia and Tomb Kings got beef and that they'll be able to re-use a lot of assets to make it faster than Wood Elves has taken.

:agreed:

The Old World majors that remain after the next update all require some greater (Ogres) or lesser (Tomb Kings) amount of legwork to implement, so it makes sense that they want to knock the easy ones off first. I'm also curious what the additional DLC's in between faction releases will look like since CA has said they won't do DLC for DLC.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Fighting orcs as dwarves on the harder settings is just dumb as poo poo. Their supposed low morale weakness means nothing and they basically have to be fought down to the last orc before they break. Right now I've got a battle where I've killed their lord and systematically broken their lines, but their arrer boys just keep rallying until I have to purge wipe them out utterly. gently caress.

Venting over. I know that part of it is that dwarves have no light cavalry by design, but goddamn is it irritating to have to almost entirely wipe out boyz to break them, while their friends rally constantly. It almost makes the morale system meaningless.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I believe if units rout 3 times they will become shattered permanently. Doesn't really help with the AI moral bonuses but it's something.

There are mods on the workshop that tweak the AI moral buffs, check them out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Countering greenskin ranged can definitely be a huge pain in the rear end. If you can spare the attention I like to focus them down one by one with all of my quarellers but you have to be very careful that you don't end up with quarellers chasing after fleeing units.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You still take more casualties than you would on a lower difficulty but you also grow your veterancy faster to more than compensate in the long run. The main thing is guard mode and not actively chasing down greenskin units. If you chase them down you start running into actual problems, but otherwise it's usually just more exp as they come back to get killed.

Not sure how I feel about a +25% boost to nasty skulker leadership though. I've had to resort to corner camping to deal with stacks full of them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Pendent posted:

Countering greenskin ranged can definitely be a huge pain in the rear end. If you can spare the attention I like to focus them down one by one with all of my quarellers but you have to be very careful that you don't end up with quarellers chasing after fleeing units.

For my successful "retake eight peaks" campaign I handled this by having 2 quarrellers and 2 rangers focus fire down the leftmost ranged unit and then walking down the line, repeating if they rally.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ok, it's been a week let me pay for more dlc. *Shivers and salivates in a corner.*

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I kinda wonder how they will add regiments of renown on to Chaos and Beastmen. Selling DLC for DLC is a bit much, unless it's very cheap.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

That's Tolkien dwarves, silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

I kinda wonder how they will add regiments of renown on to Chaos and Beastmen. Selling DLC for DLC is a bit much, unless it's very cheap.

Now that they've established a precedent of adding free content to DLC factions, and also allowed the AI to make use of regiments of renown, it seems to me like they could add the Beastmen/Chaos RORs as a free update at some point down the line, if they're going to do them at all.

• Locked thread