Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

What? Oath's aren't worth much at all since they're banned in Legacy and aren't actually good in Vintage. The problem is that Oath also isn't good in EDH - you're just immediately the #1 target and there isn't a creature good enough make up for the fact that your opponents get first crack at their own creature while also keeping your Oath around long enough to get back to your own turn.

Did Oath become a bad deck?

E: I love Vintage: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13802&d=281428&f=VI

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did Oath become a bad deck?

Is Oath even really a deck? It always seemed more like a win condition you chucked into your generic Vintage value deck. No-one calls vault-key a deck.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

...how is 3 partners per 4c deck going to work? I assumed we were getting two 4c legends and two 2c partners.

If there are 3 partners in the deck, one of them can't be used as a commander for the deck because it will be the wrong colors, unless we have color overlap?

My understanding of it is that the allied color partner + either of the enemy color partners = the four colors of the deck. For example, the WUBR deck would have a UB partner and two RW parners.

I might be totally off on this though. The fact that we're still trying to parse it really shows that they didn't do a great job communicating things.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

if they reprint that worthless piece of poo poo also known as Oath of Mages I will be extremely shocked

I had to look up Oath of Mages.

To think, they actually thought this was the same power level as Oath of Druids or Oath of Lieges.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I had to look up Oath of Mages.

To think, they actually thought this was the same power level as Oath of Druids or Oath of Lieges.

Oaths are up there with Alpha boons and Saga Legendary Lands as a cycle with the highest power differential between best and worst card.

Also, historically, the second best oath was Oath of Ghouls

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oath of Ghouls is like an Oversold Cemetery that's potentially even easier to trigger.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

Oaths are up there with Alpha boons and Saga Legendary Lands as a cycle with the highest power differential between best and worst card.

Also, historically, the second best oath was Oath of Ghouls

Oath of Mages and Shivan Gorge - both of them are the worst of their cycle by a large amount, both of them repeatedly deal 1 damage, and since they deemed Shivan Gorge to be iconic enough to be reprinted into FTV: Realms, maybe they'll deem Oath of Mages good enough for the group hug deck.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

My understanding of it is that the allied color partner + either of the enemy color partners = the four colors of the deck. For example, the WUBR deck would have a UB partner and two RW parners.

Okay this makes some sort of sense.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Hellsau posted:

What? Oath's aren't worth much at all since they're banned in Legacy and aren't actually good in Vintage. The problem is that Oath also isn't good in EDH - you're just immediately the #1 target and there isn't a creature good enough make up for the fact that your opponents get first crack at their own creature while also keeping your Oath around long enough to get back to your own turn.

That's why you use one of the many many methods to put it on the field at your opponent's end step.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Duel Commander's life total went down to 20 recently, I can see Vial Smasher doing some loving work there. Same with the not-blue damage doubler dude.

It's interesting in that it's a BR Aggro guy that isn't violently shifting the deck's construction (Olivia, Tymaret, and Grenzo ask you to do some things first to get workin').

Saskia the Unyielding is really strong if you can cast her but that mana cost is specific as heck and more than that she's really dull.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

WE ALL RAVAGER NOW

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tarkir's the one recent plane I want to revisit before others. First on the list is probably Dominaria.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rinkles posted:

Tarkir's the one recent plane I want to revisit before others. First on the list is probably Dominaria.

Tarkir owns and I really want to see more of it especially because the whole storyline didn't really make things any better for the plane - it probably made stuff worse. Yeah save Ugin and all but the time bullshit took Tarkir from five warring but autonomous societies to five societies that were oppressed by and subservient to dragons. For some reason Sarkhan loved this, probably because he's an idiot.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

I am extremely glad this can't go in an Ezuri deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Tarkir owns and I really want to see more of it especially because the whole storyline didn't really make things any better for the plane - it probably made stuff worse. Yeah save Ugin and all but the time bullshit took Tarkir from five warring but autonomous societies to five societies that were oppressed by and subservient to dragons. For some reason Sarkhan loved this, probably because he's an idiot.

Taking a color from each clan seems to have made them demonstrably worse, like the Abzan/Dromoka possibly becoming racist, no more orcs or hound-men I think. Maybe for the Sultai/Silimgar it's a wash. They should totally do a block that either has the dragons overthrown by a return of the clans and new Khans, or time-travel shenanigans to put things back.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Taking a color from each clan seems to have made them demonstrably worse, like the Abzan/Dromoka possibly becoming racist, no more orcs or hound-men I think. Maybe for the Sultai/Silimgar it's a wash. They should totally do a block that either has the dragons overthrown by a return of the clans and new Khans, or time-travel shenanigans to put things back.

Abzan -> Dromoka became racist necromancy haters, still big fans of sand and castles though.
Mardu -> Kolaghan went from nomadic raiders with strong group bonds and traditions to Lighting Rakdos: Horse Edition
Jeskai -> Ojutai turned what was an apparently pleasant though fairly stereotypical kung fu monastic society with bonus dudes made of fire into a knowledge-erasing police state, but with punching.
Temur -> Atarka made a kinda boring wandering shamanistic tribe led by a guy who punched a bear into a bunch of press-ganged hunters who live in caves and have to hunt giant stuff for a giant dragon to eat so it doesn't eat them.
Sultai -> Silumgar just care less about nature now I guess? It seems basically the same. Zombies and opulence.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 25, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I thought it was something about the plane getting cold and lifeless without dragons for some reason and bringing them back made the environment better somehow?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Abzan -> Dromoka became racist necromancy haters, still big fans of sand and castles though.
Mardu -> Kolaghan went from nomadic raiders with strong group bonds and traditions to Lighting Rakdos: Horse Edition
Jeskai -> Ojutai turned what was an apparently pleasant though fairly stereotypical kung fu monastic society with bonus dudes made of fire into a knowledge-erasing police state, but with punching.
Temur -> Atarka made a kinda boring wandering shamanistic tribe led by a guy who punched a bear into a bunch of press-ganged hunters who live in caves and have to hunt giant stuff for a giant dragon to eat so it doesn't eat them.
Sultai -> Silumgar just care less about nature now I guess? It seems basically the same. Zombies and opulence.

Sultai necromancy used what was already dead (Delve works with whatever you have in your graveyard), Silumgar necromancy just kills stuff to use it (Basically how Exploit works). The society admittedly doesn't change much.

I'm of the opinion that the best return to Tarkir we could have would be by following Garruk's quest to hunt all the dragons.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 25, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Most of those cards seem pretty underwhelming but Saskia is all around a really cool card.

E: Tymna actually seems pretty good in any deck that can apply pressure on turn 2, even swinging with a Strix makes her a Phyrexian Arena

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yes clearly this is on the same power level as 5 keyword hellfucker.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Tbh artifact lady is fine, she brings blockers to allow my control decks time to ruin everyone else's fun

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mega Pia and Kiran Nalaar seems cool to me. I'm glad they didn't just staple four keywords to the whole cycle.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I think it's really cool that I can basically run Umezawa's Jitte as my commander.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Look how good the basics are

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/basic-lands-commander-2016-edition-2016-10-25

Rebecca Guay!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Basic Lands

a) cool art on some of these, I like the Planet of the Apes Plains
b) I didn't realize Rebecca Guay was still allowed to make Magic art

E;fb

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'll take 800 of each Rebecca Guay please and thanks :swoon:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Best reason for buying Commander 2016 so far.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Seems like Tana and Sidar is a pretty obvious combo for a generic Naya go-wide deck. Because we needed better ways of doing that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Imagine this at full art.

WOTC not printing full art lands every set is dumb.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hope she sells giclee prints of these.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Those are all great and it's a shame this is the only way to get them. Not that I'm not already drowning in basics.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
Crystalline Crawler
Artifact Creature - Construct
Converge - Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it. 

Remove a +1/+1 counter from Crystalline Crawler: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. 

T: Put a +1/+1 counter on Crystalline Crawler.
Illus. Jason Felix	1/1

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

code:
Crystalline Crawler
Artifact Creature - Construct
Converge - Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it. 

Remove a +1/+1 counter from Crystalline Crawler: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. 

T: Put a +1/+1 counter on Crystalline Crawler.
Illus. Jason Felix	1/1

So, it's kind of like a Mana Storage Box.

Neat.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Reprint

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Now just reprint Beacon of Tomorrows.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sickening posted:

WOTC not printing full art lands every set is dumb.

Debuting in Amonkhet, basic land masterpieces!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dragon enthusiast posted:

Debuting in Amonkhet, basic land masterpieces!
If they catch up to the rest of 90s foiling technology and make a signature series inserts for basics, I'm down. I'm Guay for Guay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I mean you can't just take a normal-sized land and stretch it to full-art, the dimensions are completely different

• Locked thread