Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the achewood panel about actions being poorly conveyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's activities, and honestly I think you all just have really bad visual literacy. I swear, every third or fourth update there's some wild theory that hinges entirely on not being able to understand how to follow action from panel to panel.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's activities, and honestly I think you all just have really bad visual literacy. I swear, every third or fourth update there's some wild theory that hinges entirely on not being able to understand how to follow action from panel to panel.

It could use some motion lines or something.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

that was a pretty dumb leap of logic, you have to admit
there's even a ssshk sound effect
Her arms and the scissors are surrounded by wavy magic lines, the scissors are never draw open, and the severing of the hair is accompanied by a white magic sound effect and the glowing of her key.

Also, I didn't think the scissors were magic, I thought she was magic. It looked like she was cutting her hair with the blade of want or something and didn't herself realize that the scissors were just a useless prop.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

We all go out in the end, ain't nothing we can do about that. The best we can hope for it get one good hit in before it happens.

Major respect for crate of tea cups. RIP

Hospitality is a continuous pouring motion.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

because theyre on a flying ship that is crewed by two devils, an angel, a mundane from another world, and a freaking demigod. why wouldnt they be magic scissors, duh!!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope this is just an elaborate joke and people aren't actually this stupid

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Good luck with that. Other webcomic authors have had to suffer similar inane questions.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
big blue pimpsphynx is my favourite design, followed closely by giant killer bodhi babby, followed closely by literally every other character

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
well according to barthes i can totally decide they're magic scissors

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I thought it was pretty clear that she Cut her hair with the scissors, she didn't use the scissor to cut her hair.

Royalty being a continuous Cutting motion, and all that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I give up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The one critique I would level is that having the scissors open a bit in the prior panel would make it flow better.

Though I doubt even that would have headed off this nonsense.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
dear Jagganoth, how do you type with boxing gloves on

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The wavy lines read as her shaking which makes plenty of sense in context.

If the scissors were open a bit in the second to last panel the action would be a little clearer, but it certainly did not seem mysterious or magical to me.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Is it so preposterous to assume the Key granted her hair superhuman resilience such that it could not be easily cut by a mundane pair of scissors?

I mean sure it is. But is it though?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Fish Noise posted:

The comic will not take an irresolute reader. It's why it was unreadable to you.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

It's the pulling the needle out of White Chain poo poo all over again. For some reason people expect Abaddon to dedicate three panels to simple but profound movements, then when he only draws two it fucks with their perception of motion so they go full sperg and claim the thing just leapt from one position to the other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Abbadon does have a bit of a history of skipping motions that should be there for the purpose of visual narrative. Like when she passed the spear between hands in-between panels back when she was destroying the testicle fruit tree.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgVB3qsySQ

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Specifically, Eris-Lo Kai did it.

Listen carefully. That cackling you hear in the distance? That's how you can tell it's him.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

MikeJF posted:

Abbadon does have a bit of a history of skipping motions that should be there for the purpose of visual narrative. Like when she passed the spear between hands in-between panels back when she was destroying the testicle fruit tree.

I think that was straight-up a mistake, which happens.

Other stuff is just people not thinking critically, though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It should be clear to fans of this comic that fantastically powerful magic artifacts are in fact bullshit and useless.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Green Intern posted:

It should be clear to fans of this comic that fantastically powerful magic artifacts are in fact bullshit and useless.

Unless they're self-aware enough to start striving for Royalty themselves, in which case go for it, dudes, you do you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Green Intern posted:

Pretty sure the magic bullshit embedded in Alison's skull is not useless.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure the magic bullshit embedded in Alison's skull is not useless.

Well, the magic bullshit is pushing her to become a swordsman instead of a farmer, noodle vendor, or barista, so I'd say it's pretty useless :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I briefly misread that as 'noodle farmer' and frankly if any setting could have sweeping fields of freshly grown pasta, it's probably in this one somewhere.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I briefly misread that as 'noodle farmer' and frankly if any setting could have sweeping fields of freshly grown pasta, it's probably in this one somewhere.
Orchards, not fields, actually. Common misconception.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly, it can be read either way. She's either cutting her hair normally and they just skipped the opening/closing panel, or she's using the key to make the blunt side of scissors razor sharp.

I prefer the latter because its way more :black101:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly, it can be read either way. She's either cutting her hair normally and they just skipped the opening/closing panel, or she's using the key to make the blunt side of scissors razor sharp.

I prefer the latter because its way more :black101:

Yes this exactly.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Those aren't wavy magic lines, they're her hands shaking because she just got exsanguinated by a batshit insane magic grandma demiurge.

Not everything is magic guys.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Wait a minute .. Xena can't fly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

Not everything is magic guys.

its true, magic is fake as poo poo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wait, why was Smithers there?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Have people in this thread just not ever used a pair of scissors? Is that what's going on here?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Have people in this thread just not ever used a pair of scissors? Is that what's going on here?

scissors were banned after the paper war of '92

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the shearing guild was wiped out 200 years ago, very few people remember their domain now

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Who What Now posted:

Wait, why was Smithers there?

Smithers is well established as a huge nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 377 days!
Finished update isn't up yet, but the flats are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i admit i thought she was doing the thing where she transformed a candelabra into a graviton beam emitter and her fists into deadly weapons with the scissors as a show of power