Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I love the kongo theme. Makes me look forward to being denounced by him every 20 turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Egypt's chariots are badass and they upgrade to crossbows now. I was gonna try a peaceful trading game, but then Trajan got in my face and the pain train started rolling. First victory: Domination, Prince. :egypt:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

JackDarko posted:

Multiplayer without Hot seat is hot garbage. The amount of lag and weird stuff that happens with two players attacking each other at once simultaneously blows, and the host in my game had a clear advantage every time.

there's an option you can enable to automatically have sequential turns during periods of player vs player wars

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Byzantine posted:

Egypt's chariots are badass and they upgrade to crossbows now. I was gonna try a peaceful trading game, but then Trajan got in my face and the pain train started rolling. First victory: Domination, Prince. :egypt:

Yeah, they're basically bigger, stronger, faster archers that you can also build at double speed because they count for heavy cavalry. And best of all is when you upgrade them to crossbows, the upgrade is so cheap: only 70 gold compared to the Archer's 200.

I did a religious game with them that started with me taking out the Vikings and French with them because they annoyed me.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's the TL;DR on optimal industrial zone placement?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Why is everything in the victory conditions tab randomly sorted. How do you gently caress up going 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. with the score? God drat the UI in game this is awful.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
New bug :(

The game sometimes won't load into the main menu. If I'm lucky and it does that, it won't load\create any new games. It does the whole speechy thing at the start, but then just sits there. I can't alt-tab out of the game or do anything and the only option is to restart.

It was working fine yesterday? Was there a patch last night or something?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

JackDarko posted:

Multiplayer without Hot seat is hot garbage. The amount of lag and weird stuff that happens with two players attacking each other at once simultaneously blows, and the host in my game had a clear advantage every time.

Multiplayer has been surprisingly good in my opinion. I was fully prepared for it to be a laggy mess that'll take forever to reach parity with single player (which it never did in V), but aside from the very occasional desync issue we've had no issues whatsoever and it's practically on par with single player. A very positive surprise all in all.

And yeah, like someone mentioned switching turns to "Dynamic" instead of "Simultaneous" will make it so that the game becomes turn-based whenever players fight each other. It ought to be the default setting, really.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Kanfy posted:

Multiplayer has been surprisingly good in my opinion. I was fully prepared for it to be a laggy mess that'll take forever to reach parity with single player (which it never did in V), but aside from the very occasional desync issue we've had no issues whatsoever and it's practically on par with single player. A very positive surprise all in all.

And yeah, like someone mentioned switching turns to "Dynamic" instead of "Simultaneous" will make it so that the game becomes turn-based whenever players fight each other. It ought to be the default setting, really.

I've had really bad lag in many of the multiplayer games I've been in, I think it might be the ai animations going nuts. I've seen some of the combat animations glitch out and last like 10+ seconds.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Byzantine posted:

God, I hate finding bugs. If I find a couple more (other than the retarded behavior of map pins), I'll bother to sign up for the official forums to report them or something. First two might be relevant to you:
  • Sphinx do NOT get the additional wonder adjacency bonus if you gain the wonder through conquest.
  • The Lady of the Reeds & Marshes Pantheon does NOT work with the four tile natural wonder Pantanal, despite being classified as a marsh.
  • The Grecian Acropolis isn't compatible with the "Jesuit Education" belief.

So I was playing as Cleopatra on a Standard Continents map with Harald of Norway and Gorgo of Greece as my neighbors. Since I was on Prince difficulty I wasn't playing too paranoid. Landlocked, I was going to piss off Harald. Planning to play peaceful, I was going to piss off Gorgo. Due to some bizarre goodie hut luck, I had only four scouts and one slinger to defend my single city when Gorgo finally came knocking with a huge horde of warriors, while a large horde of barbarians was swarming from the other direction. Despite all of this, I somehow managed to hold off for the six or so turns it took to start pumping out my Maryanu Chariot Archers. The AI DID attempt to flank my city but was thwarted by mountain ranges and scouts. Still, it was an amazingly underwhelming example of AI but a fairly epic revenge story, as my eventual force of four ridiculously good (but priced accordingly) chariot archers proceeded to wipe out every city Harald and Gorgo owned without breaking a sweat. I presume it would have been more challenging if the enemy had garrisoned an archer, or built anything more advanced than warriors or upgraded their single garrisoning slinger. It was fairly fun but the AI didn't even live up to Civ 5 standards, despite upgrading and 1 UPT hardly being new at this point.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I've had really bad lag in many of the multiplayer games I've been in, I think it might be the ai animations going nuts. I've seen some of the combat animations glitch out and last like 10+ seconds.

I always make sure everyone has Quick Combat and Movement on, they make turns go way faster both in SP and MP.

I guess that can be trickier if you play with people you don't know though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Actually not even that. Everything we've been told is a lie and district costs are affected by whichever you're further down: the tech tree or culture tree. The farther you go, the more districts cost.

Well that's cool. You can end up crippling yourself by advancing too fast because tech doesn't give you enough benefits to counter the increasing costs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Someone will probably codify an Ancient rush-boom strategy that involves making a bunch of cities and plopping districts before accelerating up the tech trees, then, including numerical break points for maximum efficiency

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

hexal posted:

The patch is just deluxe edition owners getting the 25th anniversary sountrack apparently.

The anniversary soundtrack has a track called "Civilization IV theme" which is NOT Baba Yetu. :argh:

It's like they didn't actually get the rights to include anything by Tin in the soundtrack releases.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do we know if the district cost thing is based on number of techs/civics known, or how many layers in the highest one you know is? That actually will end up making a big difference for whether you want to go wide or deep on the trees.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

Do we know if the district cost thing is based on number of techs/civics known, or how many layers in the highest one you know is? That actually will end up making a big difference for whether you want to go wide or deep on the trees.

I think the way it works is that every tech or civic increases it, with later techs/civics increasing it by more. So the game calculates a cost increase based on total cost of techs or something, then does the same for civics and picks the higher one.

Also holy poo poo guys selling corps gives you quadruple gold what the gently caress :psyboom:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

eSports!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Staltran posted:

I think the way it works is that every tech or civic increases it, with later techs/civics increasing it by more. So the game calculates a cost increase based on total cost of techs or something, then does the same for civics and picks the higher one.

Also holy poo poo guys selling corps gives you quadruple gold what the gently caress :psyboom:

So it's likely that it's based on the sum of the costs of your techs/civics? Not really any way to game that, except that researching an expensive tech first gives you a bit more time at the lower cost.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

So it's likely that it's based on the sum of the costs of your techs/civics? Not really any way to game that, except that researching an expensive tech first gives you a bit more time at the lower cost.

You could research a tech to 90% and switch to a different tech.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently so, there seems to be conflicting information going around though. Without decompiling and somehow finding the right part of the code all we can do is experiment though, so at this point all I can say for sure is that it increases with tech. That's at least in the variable name, and supported y observation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That reminds me that I hope someone runs the numbers on both production and science overflow, like people did for 4 and 5. It really makes a difference for getting the most out of chopping trees and using Great Scientist abilities.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me that I hope someone runs the numbers on both production and science overflow, like people did for 4 and 5. It really makes a difference for getting the most out of chopping trees and using Great Scientist abilities.

Ahahaha that reminds me, I think overflow is both uncapped and preserves percentage boosts like V did, instead of dividing by the multiplier like IV. So if you have 80 production through trade route stacking or whatever and the +100% cav policy I think you can just build a horseman (which cost 80) every turn for free since you can overflow 80 into whatever. And since it's uncapped you can keep building horsemen, build up a thousand overflow and then dump it all into a wonder. I haven't actually tried this but in my Scythia game i had high-production cities 1 turn universities and districts after building horsemen for a while so I'm pretty sure there is no overflow cap, and I remember thinking that it doesn't seem to get the +100% boost removed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is selling deleting? Did I miss some way to sell units?

I've done all of the victories now, even lousy score, and also seen the defeat screen. I think this game is very good! The Ui is a mess in some instances, and there's some bugs and whatnot but I think most of the systems interact pretty well once you can get a handle on them. The only system that I've hated so far is religion, because it's opaque as gently caress. So many instances where I'd burn a spread just for it to do nothing. And don't even get me started on religious combat because I have absolutely no idea what determines how an attack will go other than to hope and pray that missionary doesn't eat my attacking acolyte in 1-shot. Which happened.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Failboattootoot posted:

Is selling deleting? Did I miss some way to sell units?

I've done all of the victories now, even lousy score, and also seen the defeat screen. I think this game is very good! The Ui is a mess in some instances, and there's some bugs and whatnot but I think most of the systems interact pretty well once you can get a handle on them. The only system that I've hated so far is religion, because it's opaque as gently caress. So many instances where I'd burn a spread just for it to do nothing. And don't even get me started on religious combat because I have absolutely no idea what determines how an attack will go other than to hope and pray that missionary doesn't eat my attacking acolyte in 1-shot. Which happened.

Deleting a unit gives you twice the production cost of the unit in gold. Deleting a corp seems to give you 4x that, or twice as much as you would expect. Haven't tried with an army yet.

As for the game being good, honestly I think the district cost mechanic is just stupid, tourism is still meh at best, the inclusion religious victory probably makes the game worse, and the subsystems feel like there's a lot of bloat and I they don't actually interact that well. I feel like everything but units are too expensive as well. Worst of all the tech/civic trees are really barren and I don't give a poo poo about most techs/civics. Plus 1UPT is still horrible for qol things, even if it's probably better than stacks for actual warfare, and obviously the UI is just horrid. It's still a decent game even now but I don't think I'd go so far as actually calling it good yet. And that's ignoring all the exploits.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

H13 posted:

New bug :(

The game sometimes won't load into the main menu. If I'm lucky and it does that, it won't load\create any new games. It does the whole speechy thing at the start, but then just sits there. I can't alt-tab out of the game or do anything and the only option is to restart.

It was working fine yesterday? Was there a patch last night or something?

If you use Windows Defender / Microsoft Security Essentials you want to go into the settings for either and set it to exclude the Civ VI install folder ( don't follow reddit and just disable your security ).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

And don't even get me started on religious combat because I have absolutely no idea what determines how an attack will go other than to hope and pray that missionary doesn't eat my attacking acolyte in 1-shot. Which happened.

You can see all the factors that go into religious combat alongside the expected outcome from the combat preview just like with normal battles.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I love how some people complain that scouts are useless and then in the next sentence bitch that barbarian scouts are impossible to catch. :allears:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ZombyDog posted:

If you use Windows Defender / Microsoft Security Essentials you want to go into the settings for either and set it to exclude the Civ VI install folder ( don't follow reddit and just disable your security ).

This was my experience also, setting the Civ directory as an exclusion fixed it for me.

:siren: Everyone should read this tweaks and fixes guide :siren:

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-tweaks-and-fixes-guide/

*Fix slow loading or freezing
*Disable the startup logos
*Use WASD to control the camera
*Increase scroll speed
*Change font sizes
*Turn off unit cycling
*Enable team multiplayer

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Started my Marathon King game as Gorgo. Got to around turn 170. Pretty early on Egypt declared war on me. I'd rushed archers so I had two and a warrior and was able to cripple her when she attacked. Took me a buttload of turns to take her capital city, had to get a third archer over there. I am sitting at third place with around 80 points, the two unknown civilizations at about 100 and 85. Building up my Hoplite forces before I set sail for their shores.

I was willing to play patiently and wait for the perfect opportunity, but Egypt's hubris has inspired the Spartan citizens. They will have the world.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
My thoughts after a few games as China on Prince / King difficulty and marathon speed:

Good:
Dat soundtrack
Districts / new building system
Roads through trading
Government policies
You can go wide again
Great person system

Bad:
AI
Narrator
Diplomacy
Unit spam
Trade routing
AI
Leaders taunting/complimenting you all the time
Tech tree balance
Gold is op
Religion system is dumb
No penalty for distance to capital so AI makes cities all over the place
Leader agendas badly implemented
AI is still poo poo man after civ 5/be

Lots of patching to do for them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Game looks dope as hell. Any word/idea on an OS X release?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ran in to a weird bug where I couldn't end my turn because it kept saying a unit needed orders and then... not taking me to a unit in need of those orders. I scanned the board and couldn't find a bored unit.

It's a bug, but it's not what you're thinking. The unit you're looking for is already fortified or asleep, but is somehow erroneously reporting that it needs orders. You need to find it, and then re-sleep it. It's a real gamebreaker.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I normally use click and drag to move the camera but it decided to not work ~90% of the time now, yay!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I know DarkRenown mentioned this earlier but it's loving bizzare that when you spread religion to cities that aren't owned by you it doesn't tell you what affect it is having. I actually assumed that it was blocked off since I sent about 6 missionaries to some city state and their religion didn't change at all. At least give me a ROUGH IDEA of how many citizens are following my religion, I just feel like I'm wasting my time at the moment.

And it does suck that you're denounced by basically everyone because of their main agenda. I've got more luxuries than Monty, I've got more wonders than Qin, more Great People than Pedro and I don't have spies yet so Catherine is mad with me. Every civ has some stupid thing that you cannot help but beat them with and so they all denounce the hell out of you. Okay fine I've got a smaller military than you Gorgo but it's all musketmen and you're using warriors, come on.

Incidentally I think the upgrade protocol for the AI is broken somehow. City states building catapults and stuff still somehow have warriors milling about.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

Incidentally I think the upgrade protocol for the AI is broken somehow. City states building catapults and stuff still somehow have warriors milling about.

It's 'cause they don't have iron. And then later they don't have niter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So if you decide to skip on a mediocre Great Person and none of the other fuckers are bothering to invest into those GP points, you're somewhat screwed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Did you pass on him? Oops.

And I know they don't have iron but they could upgrade to Infantry maybe!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taear posted:

Did you pass on him? Oops.

Yeah, added an explanation. I was playing as Germany, so I figured I had better uses for the points. Oops indeed.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I really like the inclusion of Theological Combat. And I actually like when the AI comes with a carpet of religious units. I had an epic Holy War where I managed to defend my poo poo from Egypt who was going for a Religious Victory, it was cool.

However, after that war, apostles kept coming, one by one, every couple of turns into my territory after that. And it turned into such a bore to defend against these single units who just kept trickling in. Completely pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leinadi posted:

Completely pointless.

You're supposed to send your nearly-dead apostles into his territory and convert his cities with holy sites to your religion so he starts making GBS threads out missionaries and apostles for you :eng101: