Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

People who don't understand Econ 101 ITT.

Complaining about full employment is almost exactly like complaining about rapid inflation. It's not happening right now and there's nothing to lose from moving in that direction. In fact, long-run inflation is a consequence of full employment policies. When wages are back to up the GDP share they were in the late 60s then we can start worrying about running full employment for too long.

If you want wage share to go up, full employment is a guaranteed way to get there. It will eventually cause inflation, but it will grow wage share and worker bargaining power. This is a lot like the inflation argument in monetary policy, where a potential cost somewhere years and years down the line is held up as a reason why we shouldn't do anything about real problems right now.

I think it's more than a little ironic that people in this thread are against the idea of full employment when they would probably like a return to 1960s economic policy, the central plank of which was full employment.

It's interesting how much perceptions of the 70s dominate public discourse even today.

edit: well look at that post above me

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 25, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm fairly sure the problem with that macro isn't even the notion of full employment (which is literally defined in Econ as ~5% unemployment, of which those people will ideally be temporarily unemployed and not systemically unemployed), it's that he's arguing that the government being involved in regulating the economy is preventing full employment, which is hilarious libertarian garbage.

So yeah. You're still being dumb.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Hey, first result on Google.

http://www.snopes.com/carter-reagan-polls/

Looks like part of the reason is that in the 1980 election, there was only one debate, and it was held on October 28, the very end of the month. Also apparently Reagan gained a huge boost after the debate, going from 8 points behind to a 3 point lead. Carter's poor handling of the Iran hostage crisis was also a factor since a lot happened the week before the election, and inflation was rising much worse than now.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hey, first result on Google.

http://www.snopes.com/carter-reagan-polls/

Looks like part of the reason is that in the 1980 election, there was only one debate, and it was held on October 28, the very end of the month. Also apparently Reagan gained a huge boost after the debate, going from 8 points behind to a 3 point lead. Carter's poor handling of the Iran hostage crisis was also a factor since a lot happened the week before the election, and inflation was rising much worse than now.

Also Reagan had a small lead in aggregate polling since the conventions and the debate just ran up the score.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Tritanomalicious posted:

The store I work at has baggers, mostly in the mornings. Also, there are full-service gas stations around here, but not that many anymore. It's mostly in more well-off areas here.

I have never seen a full service gas station in my life. Simpson had this scene about "pumping your own gas" and I assumed that they meant a literal crank (like an old water pump) to pump the gas as opposed to an electric system. Because I couldn't imagine a gas station where a whole person was needed to put in the nozzle and push a button. Though it would certainly be convenient. I hate how my hands smell after pumping gas.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I can remember being a kid in California and having my dad get full service gas. It was a bit more per gallon but they'd pump gas for you and check your fluid levels. This was back in the :corsair: days of carbon paper transfers for credit card transactions.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I would hate mandatory service at gas stations just because the tipping part would get expensive and I don't really make that much money. If I was financially secure I wouldn't care, but I'd feel bad for people who weren't and feel ashamed for not being able to tip properly.

Tipping culture blows.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Got a crazy printed out poster sized email from your neighbors ? Post them here.

Lyrai posted:

Someone found a Freeper house, apparently.

Link is to a gifv/mp4 of...what you would expect to be on the front lawn of a freeper house.

Note: I have no idea whose actual house it is. I was given it and thought of this thread. This election has broken me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
All these people talking about stores not having baggers is weird to me. I've worked for a grocery chain in various positions for a decade now, and that chain tries to have between 6-10 staff on hand during most of the day whose primary two job duties are bagging and pulling carts in from the parking lot. Customers get pissy if they don't have a baggers and have to do it themselves.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

jivjov posted:

All these people talking about stores not having baggers is weird to me. I've worked for a grocery chain in various positions for a decade now, and that chain tries to have between 6-10 staff on hand during most of the day whose primary two job duties are bagging and pulling carts in from the parking lot. Customers get pissy if they don't have a baggers and have to do it themselves.

The only thing staff does here is stack the shelves and scan the groceries and send them down a conveyor for the customers to bag them.

When you pick up a cart you put money in and you get the money back when you return the cart.

Edit: Though the self scanning system is taking over more and more.

Swipe card to unlock a scanner and then scan the groceries as you take them off the shelves.

Swipe card at the checkout and then leave.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Hope they like product shrinkage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's probably the same case as the self-checkouts, the product loss is estimated as cheaper than paying wages.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zephyrine posted:

Apparently full employment is bad for the country because it shifts too much bargaining power to the workers. Driving up wages and down export.

It's better to keep unemployment at around 5% and then have those 5% covered by social safety nets.

Uh, bargaining power of workers increases unemployment. Full employment is a sign of very low labor power if anything because organized l. increases the marginal cost of employing a unit of labor and makes arbitrary scaling down of labor costs for new employments impossible due to collective bargaining. This is some basic Keynesian theory, and isn't a bad thing in the slightest.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It's been around for over a decade and while there are certainly some theft the labour savings are huge. And most people don't really bother stealing groceries. There are random checks when you check out as well.

if you fail a random check you go down one rank in the computers rank system which means random checks are more likely. If you pass a check your rank goes up.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, bargaining power of workers increases unemployment. Full employment is a sign of very low labor power if anything because organized l. increases the marginal cost of employing a unit of labor and makes arbitrary scaling down of labor costs for new employments impossible due to collective bargaining. This is some basic Keynesian theory, and isn't a bad thing in the slightest.

Isn't that what I said? The point being that striving for 0% unemployment is fruitless because it would not benefit the country anyway.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It's been around for over a decade and while there are certainly some theft the labour savings are huge. And most people don't really bother stealing groceries. There are random checks when you check out as well.

if you fail a random check you go down one rank in the computers rank system which means random checks are more likely. If you pass a check your rank goes up.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I would hate mandatory service at gas stations just because the tipping part would get expensive and I don't really make that much money. If I was financially secure I wouldn't care, but I'd feel bad for people who weren't and feel ashamed for not being able to tip properly.

Tipping culture blows.

Here in NJ we're not allowed to pump our own gas, and you don't tip at the stations. I guess you could, but no one I know does it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

gninjagnome posted:

Here in NJ we're not allowed to pump our own gas, and you don't tip at the stations. I guess you could, but no one I know does it.

I read about that years ago. It was sold as some sort of safety thing that only trained staff were to pump gas and then reinforced by the idea that it creates jobs.

Though making a menial every day task illegal to create jobs doing it seems sort of questionable.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Zephyrine posted:

I read about that years ago. It was sold as some sort of safety thing that only trained staff were to pump gas and then reinforced by the idea that it creates jobs.

Though making a menial every day task illegal to create jobs doing it seems sort of questionable.

Honestly there's an air quality safety concern. A lot of people tend to wait for the safety click to happen and then go ahead and "top it off" by partially pulling out the nozzle and pumping an extra 1/4 gallon or so in. http://www.freep.com/story/life/2015/06/28/dont-top-off-gas-tank-environment/29269833/

Basically if there are enough idiots are in your area (read: pretty much everywhere) and enough gas stations get their vapor systems broken by those idiot customers then you can end up with a lot more damage to the environment then you otherwise would.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

gninjagnome posted:

I did it when I lived in Jersey.

It was really weird the first few times I drove and had to gas up out of state - I would just sit in my car for several minutes forgetting I had to get out myself and pump the gas

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Anubis posted:

Honestly there's an air quality safety concern. A lot of people tend to wait for the safety click to happen and then go ahead and "top it off" by partially pulling out the nozzle and pumping an extra 1/4 gallon or so in. http://www.freep.com/story/life/2015/06/28/dont-top-off-gas-tank-environment/29269833/

Basically if there are enough idiots are in your area (read: pretty much everywhere) and enough gas stations get their vapor systems broken by those idiot customers then you can end up with a lot more damage to the environment then you otherwise would.

But then if it was a genuine problem and systems were being broken. Wouldn't gas stations implement it on their own without the state needing to step in? And at a much wider range?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

I Greyhound posted:

Got a crazy printed out poster sized email from your neighbors ? Post them here.

Holy poo poo it's analogue memes

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zephyrine posted:

But then if it was a genuine problem and systems were being broken. Wouldn't gas stations implement it on their own without the state needing to step in? And at a much wider range?

No. Most stations are independently owned or owned by small groups and those that did it would be more expensive to run in the short term. Gas stations also tend to have rather slender margins.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Defenestration posted:

Holy poo poo it's analogue memes

:confused:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Anubis posted:

Hang on, topping off is a bad thing? I've always done that. I don't "partially pull out the nozzle," though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jurgan posted:

Hang on, topping off is a bad thing? I've always done that. I don't "partially pull out the nozzle," though.

In terms of "how bad" it's probably a 1 (or a 2?). But it's not a 0.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Bypassing the safety mechanisms that exist. Theres a gas regulator that shuts off the flow when your tank is full. People for some reason will attempt to bypass it because "its not full enough". This is bad, they mechanisms exist for a reason. If you just keep holding until it stops itself and then put it back you're fine.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Jurgan posted:

I think there's level 2 top off where you pull out and top off to the point where you can see gasoline.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jurgan posted:

yeah, topping off is bad. it damages the vapor return on the nozzle, potentially damages the vapor return on your car (leading to poor gas mileage) and worse, some of the gas you pay for leaves the tank via the nozzle's vapor return and gets stuck there. topping off damages the environment, damages your car, damages the nozzle, and wastes your money. there is no good reason to do it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

topping off damages the environment, damages your car, damages the nozzle, and wastes your money.
This is a good point, but the tone and cadence reminds me of this time that the crazy came from inside the House.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/642984909980725248

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like to give my car a little cleaning by spraying gas on it is that bad?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes. Use acetone instead.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
It can soak the charcoal cannister in your car's vapor system. People don't trust the auto shut off or they are trying to get that last ten cents in so they don't have to go back in for change. Who knows.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There used to be a fair few car related forwards going around at one point, mostly in the late 90s, about how things like the smog pump/electronic ignition/whatever were installed by the Trilateral Commission to advance the New Global Order because reasons.

They seem to have all but disappeared now, do people just not care compared to all the other conspiracies, or did people actually figure that making cars less poo poo was a good thing?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Most important gas pump news for me, in MA... the little clips on gas pumps so you don't have to hold the trigger are recently legal again :toot:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Yes. Use acetone instead.

Then what am I supposed to drink to forget?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The gas that you would otherwise have wasted, of course.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

It's been a while since I read about Bill's stuff with Monica, but I think they both were consenting adults?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mo_Steel posted:

It's been a while since I read about Bill's stuff with Monica, but I think they both were consenting adults?

There's a legitimate argument to be made that consenting in such a power differential is impossible. Sally Hemmings "consented" to Jefferson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Mmhm. The question becomes/has become what consent actually MEANS when you have that level of a power difference between the two parties, but A. that's a real humdinger, B. Lewinsky has never seemed really destroyed or regretful of the situation, C. Anyone who brings up that argument when making the comparison to Trump is concern trolling so loving hard.