Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rangpur posted:

See, I kinda feel the same way about Nahyuta. He's a dick on a personal level in a way that Godot isn't but the quality of the objections are equally, uh, unobjectionable? "This is baseless supposition, and the defense doesn't have a thing to back it up" is 100% accurate for most PW defenses, at the time you make the objection. Unfortunately we're the protagonist so it turns out he's wrong but it's a completely normal reaction.

The whole "let it go, and move on," is his biggest flaw. It's meant to be this monk-like detachment from worldly concerns but it just makes him sound like an rear end in a top hat. Peoples lives are at stake here, man. Show some loving decorum. (Totally fine with his constantly condemning the defense to hell though, that poo poo is hilarious.)

tbf I think his "let it go" spiel is supposed to make him sound like a condescending rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf I think his "let it go" spiel is supposed to make him sound like a condescending rear end in a top hat.

That's why I rather liked him. He is meant to be this peaceful monk on the outside but on the inside he's kind of a giant dickhead. I thought the juxtaposition of his beautiful exterior and ugly interior was really interesting and I liked the further development as to why he is like that.

He's good, much like every other prosecutor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People hating on Nahyuta sound like they need to let it go and move on.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nahyuta is a large baby and he should let it go and move on out of my house with his bullshit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MattTheDoctor posted:

That's why I rather liked him. He is meant to be this peaceful monk on the outside but on the inside he's kind of a giant dickhead. I thought the juxtaposition of his beautiful exterior and ugly interior was really interesting and I liked the further development as to why he is like that.

He's good, much like every other prosecutor.

He wasn't my favorite but I don't know why people would dislike him so much, I mean the worst thing you can say is he's middling. If anything he was a step back from how nutty the universe often gets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The best thing Nahyuta did was getting clowned on by Blackquil, because Blackquil is infinitely better

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Danaru posted:

Blackquil is infinitely better

Preach.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Well if the goal of the writers was to make a character you hate then they really knocked it out of the park with Nahyuta, most of the other main prosecutors at least managed to attain some level of respect from me at some point, but that never happened with him.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
He's just dull. Klavier was dull too, but he had cool air guitar animations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nahyuta was just couldn't shut up and stop being an rear end in a top hat and (case 6-5) it really put a damper on the big twist, you're supposed to be feeling a lot of things there but I don't think a sense of catharsis at finally getting a chance to knock him off his high horse by telling him his dad's dead is one of them.

Or maybe it was because drat if he doesn't act like the biggest piece of poo poo right before you finally drop a picture of Dhurke in his face.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nahyuta is a jerk whom I wanted to deck in the face, but that's precisely why he works more or less for me. It feels pretty satisfying to beat him by the trial's end, which is more than I can say for some other prosecutors. OK just one but I really hate that guy!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nahyuta is a very beautiful man.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nate RFB posted:

Nahyuta is a jerk whom I wanted to deck in the face, but that's precisely why he works more or less for me. It feels pretty satisfying to beat him by the trial's end, which is more than I can say for some other prosecutors. OK just one but I really hate that guy!

Fwiw, I don't think you even see Klav's shocked/damaged animation until case 3, and even then it only plays once or twice more. And even then he seems to be pretty much acting because he knows every point the plot is going to go except for that one time you point out that the stamp had poison on it.

Also he has two cases back-to-back where his dickhead friend and his brother are brought in as likely suspects for murder, but he never has any kind moral dilemma or anything. He's still just your bro on the other side. I don't hate Klavier like it seems a lot of people here do, in fact I think he's a pretty cool guy, but he really doesn't make for a good prosecutor. (And did the token guest prosecutor really have to be babby Klav :argh:)

At least with Nahyuta you have a smug rear end in a top hat and you repeatedly get to see him get owned. (Especially by Blackquill)

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

his defeat animation should have been him getting strangled by his own beads for like 3 - 5 seconds

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh baby.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don't think Nahyuta is even enough of a jerk to be interesting is the thing! I love the idea of a prosecutor who is a genuine villain and Nahyuta was the perfect chance. He hates lawyers and in some cases is LITERALLY fighting to KILL you. They had all that to work with, plus a cool theme, and he's still just boring.

I mean it would be cool if a prosecutor for once used your own kind of crazyman contradictions against you, buuuut... that would probably be really hard to write. It's already bullshit enough that the prosecutors just pull new evidence out of nowhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nahyuta also doesn't really exhibit any growth throughout the game. Apollo even lays down an ice cold "if anyone is going to hell it's probably the dude who fights to give innocent people the death penalty" burn after the first case and Nahyuta is still the exact same character right up until oh dang turns out he was being blackmailed this whole time but we settled that and now he's instantly totes cool. Klavier participated more actively in his own game's plot than this doofus.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
(AA6 endgame) It was some weak rear end blackmail too. Literally, sentence all these criminals to death or we tell everyone your sister is actually your sister! As if that information wouldn't come to light almost as soon as Garan was forced to cede the throne in the first place. Ugh. Just so lackluster all around.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Plom Bar posted:

(AA6 endgame) It was some weak rear end blackmail too. Literally, sentence all these criminals to death or we tell everyone your sister is actually your sister! As if that information wouldn't come to light almost as soon as Garan was forced to cede the throne in the first place. Ugh. Just so lackluster all around.

I assumed it wasn't "or we'll tell", it was "we have her close enough to easily kill her"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
From my opinion on this matter, I gotta say that Datz Arebal Is a much better Larry Butz

E: I'd also like to know, WHERE THE gently caress IS MY DICK?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 25, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Since your father's crimes are your crimes or whatever wouldn't that mean Rafya would've been executed if they wanted? I thought it was decent enough motivation. Like, it didn't change that Nahyuta had 3 cases where he was exactly the same character and never grew or had more stuff revealed about him. But "do what we want or your sister gets it!" isn't that lackluster as far as motivation goes.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Since your father's crimes are your crimes or whatever wouldn't that mean Rafya would've been executed if they wanted? I thought it was decent enough motivation. Like, it didn't change that Nahyuta had 3 cases where he was exactly the same character and never grew or had more stuff revealed about him. But "do what we want or your sister gets it!" isn't that lackluster as far as motivation goes.

I think the writers were going for Nahyuta to be completely crushed emotionally, just years of being gaslit and emotionally/mentally abused into following Ga'ran's whims because he was terrified of what could happen to Rayfa, and because he genuinely believed his father was a monster and he too had to burden those sins. Maybe even thinking he could carry Rayfa's burden as well, letting her live a lie so she could escape divine retribution. That's the intended motivation, yes, but what we got out of the writing as presented was a man who behaved like he was already dead and his fate predestined, at best, based on reactions in the thread.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Case 5

Wow, Datz only got "a night in the slammer" even though he escaped prison and is wanted for treason? Hey, maybe Kuhra'in isn't so strict after all!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

Case 5

Wow, Datz only got "a night in the slammer" even though he escaped prison and is wanted for treason? Hey, maybe Kuhra'in isn't so strict after all!

Datz because he has his silly ALLEY-OOP move where he kinda jumps in place and then fades out, but he actually does that in-universe too, as in he just kinda gets away for vaguely defined reasons.

He just enjoyed a night with a comfy bed, a decent meal and some quietude and then nope'd out next day. Glever girl.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 27, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Wow! Way to completely ruin a cool moment! Ga'ran went from having an awesome demeanour and design to having a TERRIBLE one. Just loving awful to look at. Its so bad it goes beyond "intentionally ugly and intimidating" to "painful to look at". Does this justify itself later or is it just baaaad?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Sorry. The exxxtreme makeover is just bad slash dumb. TECHNICALLY it's gonna be KIND of an even dumber plot point and you're gonna groan out loud when you see it. Good news, it's not the last makeover you're gonna see either!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ga'ran turning into a Final Fantasy villian was good and awesome

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would've been okay with it if it happened like 2 hours after it did.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Can't let your villains have a degree of subtlety in the Dark Age of the Law :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, Heavy Metal Hippie Jesus at least put up a fight before his reveal.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the few things I'm disappointed in is (full game spoilers) the plot thread of Maya knowing the holy mother's true name, and the founder's orb having the holy mother's face didn't end with Maya channeling the holy mother. How rad would it have been for the holy mother herself to come in and denounce Ga'ran for loving up her kingdom?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Danaru posted:

One of the few things I'm disappointed in is (full game spoilers) the plot thread of Maya knowing the holy mother's true name, and the founder's orb having the holy mother's face didn't end with Maya channeling the holy mother. How rad would it have been for the holy mother herself to come in and denounce Ga'ran for loving up her kingdom?

She didn't, she knew Kee'ra's

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

AlphaKretin posted:

Aww dammit I conflated the two :cripes:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

AlphaKretin posted:

This ties up one thread that annoyed the hell out of me, then. The whole time they kept saying no one knew her name, but I was thinking they told it to Maya during case 3, which Phoenix was even aware of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

nftyw posted:

Well if the goal of the writers was to make a character you hate then they really knocked it out of the park with Nahyuta, most of the other main prosecutors at least managed to attain some level of respect from me at some point, but that never happened with him.

I didn't hate him at all, he was just not particularly interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love how Investigations refuses to admit that a plane is a bad setting for a long-form murder mystery, so we have a plane that's three or four goddamn stories tall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm fine with the impossibly huge plane, since this was obviously their homage to train mysteries, thus the plane had to have things like various compartments and a store.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd normally call bullshit, but this is also a world where there's a theme park based around local law enforcement. The AA world is like the real world except no one but whoever you're playing as has that "wait this is a stupid idea" part of their brain. Also I love it and hope it never changes. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's also intended to highlight the difference between Edgey and the Defense Attorney crew. Nick and co. ride bikes and take the occasional cab when in a rush, while Miles trots across the globe on three-story planes with elevators on a monthly basis.