Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hate to be the guy that backs Faustus up here, but I think the idea of Vai's space guitar adventures gets better when you play them in space wizard costumes. Related, I recently found out he cut the guitar solo on a M83 single earlier this year, so, yes, we're in the year 2016 and Vai is on the charts.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TheChaosPath posted:

The hat really makes it

How does someone look at this and not think it owns

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

I hate to be the guy that backs Faustus up here, but I think the idea of Vai's space guitar adventures gets better when you play them in space wizard costumes.
I am grateful for your conditional and reluctant support.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

I hate to be the guy that backs Faustus up here, but I think the idea of Vai's space guitar adventures gets better when you play them in space wizard costumes. Related, I recently found out he cut the guitar solo on a M83 single earlier this year, so, yes, we're in the year 2016 and Vai is on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YZTYXftzg

actually it kinda owns

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Personally I'm torn. On one hand, sitting at my computer with coffee in hand I am ready to scoff at Vai's ridiculous get up, because look at it.

On the other hand, if I was actually at the show I'd probably think it's loving awesome.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

s.i.r.e. posted:

What in the holy gently caress is that poo poo?

It's the part of Vai's show where he goes from whirling and slinking around the stage with a fan blowing his hair while he casts fake fireballs into the audience with his hands to the part where he exits the stage for a minute, then waddles back onto it wearing that high visibility road hazard jacket with laser pointers glued to it and tries to do the same stuff but much slower as if weighted down from wearing an early 1900's deep sea diving brass cauldron helmet.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

TheChaosPath posted:

I can't think of a counter-example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfYt7vRHuY

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You all can be so harsh about stupid music poo poo. I mean, it's all stupid, isn't it?

Drinking tea from a Jack Daniel's bottle, spitting fire, playing a guitar that looks like a gun that shoots flames, wearing weird contact lenses or KFC buckets or what the gently caress... you're not really making any one dude look more stupid than another, are you?

You already know. See ya on the flip, I gotta crash. I have a job and I just bought a Fender Telecaster that I have to pay off.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, classic Faustus is back after an extended period of uncharacteristic chill!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Without Steve Vai there would be no KoRn so I'm pro-Vai (and I'm The Stupid Music poo poo too)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

TheChaosPath posted:

The hat really makes it

This owns, gently caress the haters

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Whatever. Let's go shopping!

http://stores.ebay.com/kingcarver?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Without Steve Vai there would be no Korn...

I need a time machine and a gun.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

NonzeroCircle posted:

Without Steve Vai there would be no KoRn so I'm pro-Vai (and I'm The Stupid Music poo poo too)

submitted without comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7KqoSDIlfM

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Steve Vai played with Frank Zappa. That makes him own by default.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dirt posted:

Steve Vai played with Frank Zappa. That makes him own by default.

:yeah:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Steve Vai wanted to be a wizard when he was a boy but was forced to settle for being a guitarist

This doesn't stop him from dressing up like a futurist fever dream wizard and nor should it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...eesh. I know filling in for Max Cavalera isn't the easiest job in the world but that's...less than good. I mean the band's fine, but the vocals. Yowza.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Well, that was something.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

...eesh. I know filling in for Max Cavalera isn't the easiest job in the world but that's...less than good. I mean the band's fine, but the vocals. Yowza.

max isn't doing too hot these days either

dude gets winded halfway through the song

it's for the best sepultura never reunites tbqh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

max isn't doing too hot these days either

dude gets winded halfway through the song

it's for the best sepultura never reunites tbqh

I was not aware of that. Sadness.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

I was not aware of that. Sadness.

also he's slowly being consumed by the 80lb dreadlock growing out the back of his skull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_QBoNT0Cr4

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 25, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://youtu.be/4dCtG7sqOuA

Ektomorf are the best that Sepultura/Soulfly have been in decades.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GreatGreen posted:

It's the part of Vai's show where he goes from whirling and slinking around the stage with a fan blowing his hair while he casts fake fireballs into the audience with his hands to the part where he exits the stage for a minute, then waddles back onto it wearing that high visibility road hazard jacket with laser pointers glued to it and tries to do the same stuff but much slower as if weighted down from wearing an early 1900's deep sea diving brass cauldron helmet.

Does he still do this?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Drinking tea from a Jack Daniel's bottle, spitting fire, playing a guitar that looks like a gun that shoots flames, wearing weird contact lenses or KFC buckets or what the gently caress... you're not really making any one dude look more stupid than another, are you?

Some of these things are dope as gently caress though; Vai can play like a motherfucker but his stage act seems really lame.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Does he still do this?

What in the world would make you think the one true space wizard guitarist wouldn't show his true form at every possible opportunity?

Seriously though yes he still dresses up in that laser wizard robe as far as I know.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

My favorite guitarist wears a fried chicken bucket on his head. Who am I to judge a wizard?

Back to stupid music poo poo:

Gibson took arguably their best looking guitar model, made it look way worse, and is selling them for like 700 bucks. Also that rosewood fretboard looks loving horrible, that is what they picked for the promo shot? Yikes.

But for some reason these fucks won't reissue the 3 pickup ones with the Lyre Vibrola tailpiece(Firebird VII) :ughh:

I'd buy one of those in a second. I actually have money as an adult now to spend on dumb guitar poo poo, and they won't make the dumb poo poo that I want.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 26, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Some of these things are dope as gently caress though; Vai can play like a motherfucker but his stage act seems really lame.
No argument from me. I agree with anyone who thinks it's pretty stupid. I'm willing to overlook it becausre he was Jack Butler when I was a kid.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

No argument from me. I agree with anyone who thinks it's pretty stupid. I'm willing to overlook it becausre he was Jack Butler when I was a kid.

then who was jack butler when you were a kid? tony bennett?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Or just putting loving, I don't know, Firebird pickups on them?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lately steve vai looks like stephen king if he was cast on the real housewives of new jersey

e: of course i say that but marty freidman is way more guilty of raiding his girlfriend's wardrobe

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

let's all not forget that steve vai did the frank zappa groupie that brought them a lovingly hand-made sphere of her own poo poo

(everyone should read frank zappa's autobiography)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/5795812869.html

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would be seriously tempted if it was closer.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Shugojin posted:

let's all not forget that steve vai did the frank zappa groupie that brought them a lovingly hand-made sphere of her own poo poo

(everyone should read frank zappa's autobiography)

I thought it came out perfectly spherical

E: Also, everyone should read the first half of Frank's autobiography, the other half is a slog of him being real mad about a lot of poo poo

TheChaosPath fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 26, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TheChaosPath posted:

I thought it came out perfectly spherical

E: Also, everyone should read the first half of Frank's autobiography, the other half is a slog of him being real mad about a lot of poo poo

She said it did but Frank recalled there being clearly visible handprints on it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

No one here can even say it was definitely her poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
...and that young lady grew up to be...

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Pure tone.

PURE TONE.

PURE

TONE

http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-news-accessories/pure-tone-technologies-releases-multi-contact-guitar-input-jack/30130

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Input jack

loving kill yourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Maybe I can use it to input someone else playing my guitar, 'cos I'm loving terrible at it.

At least if I replace my output jack with an input jack, there's no way for the bad sounds to get out.

• Locked thread