Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

I thought his trump tower office rent hike was one of the few things that was actually justifiable and not particularly usurious

Was it? I assumed it was him milking it because, well, it made sense. I'm probably wrong then since I assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Was it? I assumed it was him milking it because, well, it made sense. I'm probably wrong then since I assumed.
I mean the rent's probably inflated and there is likely no reason for them to be in his building other than TRUMP! *click*, but they moved from being his shoestring primary operation to being the nucleus of the national GOP campaign. So moving them up a few floors into actual office space made sense.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

I mean the rent's probably inflated and there is likely no reason for them to be in his building other than TRUMP! *click*, but they moved from being his shoestring primary operation to being the nucleus of the national GOP campaign. So moving them up a few floors into actual office space made sense.

I guess their defense was more space -> more cash so I'm wrong.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/absurdistwords/status/790692034818482176
Racism in America is out, bold, proud and just as vile as it ever was. http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2016/10/miss-naacp-white-students-put-noose-around-black-students-neck-yanked-backward/

A white friend pointed this out to me, unclear on how to process this. Distressed and aghast. Racism has always been here. Its visible now

Black people aren't surprised because this is status quo. But the genteel post-60s style of racism made it less obvious

Had lots of us twisted too, thinking the worst was over.

But with the rise of the Alt-Right (read: mainstream KKK) fueled by approval on social media, it's just not as taboo to be racist anymore.

Racists feel like this is their time. They've hidden in the dark for too long, hiding and speaking in code. "friend of the family" is back y'all
https://twitter.com/absurdistwords/status/790695260989054980

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Predictably, Bill Mitchell is melting down about the IBD poll. Ranting and raving about dishonest pollster putting the thumb on the scale by oversampling D+9

Every single poll that Hillary is winning is D+9.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Why is this even a thing? Is it a threat to the voting process if some dumbass Millenial takes a ballot selfie?

If someone pays you to vote a certain way they could insist on a photo to prove you did it, so they made the photo illegal.

But you're already breaking the law by selling your vote.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

that has to be illegal, cmon!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

You published a cable reporting on a friend of mine recommending that US support Medvedev, not Putin. My friend, Nemtsov, is now dead.
https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/790597624965369856

To be fair, the FSB had that cable long before Wikileaks did.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

https://twitter.com/absurdistwords/status/790692034818482176
Racism in America is out, bold, proud and just as vile as it ever was. http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2016/10/miss-naacp-white-students-put-noose-around-black-students-neck-yanked-backward/

Black people aren't surprised because this is status quo. But the genteel post-60s style of racism made it less obvious

Had lots of us twisted too, thinking the worst was over.

But with the rise of the Alt-Right (read: mainstream KKK) fueled by approval on social media, it's just not as taboo to be racist anymore.

Racists feel like this is their time. They've hidden in the dark for too long, hiding and speaking in code. "friend of the family" is back y'all
https://twitter.com/absurdistwords/status/790695260989054980

Yeah as horrible as that article is, as the tweet said, none of this surprises me. Which makes me sad. And angry.

More poo poo like this is going to keep happening. Black people are gonna keep losing their lives and no one gives a gently caress.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Probably just skirting it. You can't receive royalties on your own books you buy with campaign donations, but the selling autographs might pass muster. I don't know though i'm not a law jerk

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If the FEC cared about any of that crap they would have put their foot down when Trump's campaign was soliciting donors from foreign nations, or the collusion between Trump PACs and his campaign, etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Three books that developed my personal politics?

Autobiography of Malcolm X, even though I would say it was more a stepping stone.

Hubris/Nemesis by Ian Kershaw.

The written history addendum of the Fall of Eagles, by C L Sulzberger.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Three books that informed my politics: Capital vols 1, 2 and 3 of course

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cardboard Box A posted:

You published a cable reporting on a friend of mine recommending that US support Medvedev, not Putin. My friend, Nemtsov, is now dead.
https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/790597624965369856

What's the deal with this? As far as I am aware there wasn't exactly a difference in policy between Putin and Medvedev. Why would you support one over the other? And why would that be a reason for an assassination?

Did I give Medvedev to little credit? Did he genuinely try to stand up to Putin on some issue?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Agrajag posted:

what are the chances Trump is pocketing the majority of the campaign funds he raised by spending them on companies he owns?

We already know he's doing this so 100%

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whatever I'll jump in. I read Lies My Teacher Told Me, Autobiography of Malcolm X, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, The Vagina Monologues, A People's History Of The United States, and not a book buuuuut I watched a lot of Star Trek (all of them) as a kid. In fact TV has influenced me just as much. ER was another big one.

My politics were also informed by growing up Jewish/Catholic, going to Mormon after school programs (my neighbors were Mormons when I was a kid and I went to church functions and other fun stuff with their kids) and even a trip to Utah which I enjoyed a lot but also going to black Baptist churches and basically experiencing a bunch of different religions was really cool and fun to me. I even researched Buddhism and read a neat book by the Dalai Lama, but I can't remember which book it was now.

It's weird looking back because I loved Mormonism the mist I think. Everyone was super nice, I remember being disappointed-but-not-surprised.gif when I found out as a teenager that they wouldn't even let black people in until recently. I think I was only surprised because it was the only white group where it wasn't like "Why are you here??"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/meet-the-economist-running-for-president/

It's really nice of Nate to give a platform to lovely right wing economists who don't know how the economy loving works

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TX update: basically every urban County in the state has broken records for early voting first day turnout.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlisynCamerota/status/790885148778692608

This video is pure, unadulterated anti-arzy. Check out those Florida numbers :stare:

Also, Upshot/Sienna poll of NC: 46-39 Hillary.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 25, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

canepazzo posted:

Predictably, Bill Mitchell is melting down about the IBD poll. Ranting and raving about dishonest pollster putting the thumb on the scale by oversampling D+9

This one bothers me so much.
A poll drawing a biased sample is not bad. Not at all. They'll re-weight and/or post stratify based on demographics. Doing that, a poll with 10 million democrats and 100 republicans would result in a better prediction than one with 100 democrats and 100 republicans. And that first poll could still easily show the Democratic candidate down, if she was in fact down.

Koalas March posted:

Whatever I'll jump in. I read Lies My Teacher Told Me, Autobiography of Malcolm X, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, The Vagina Monologues, A People's History Of The United States, and not a book buuuuut I watched a lot of Star Trek (all of them) as a kid. In fact TV has influenced me just as much. ER was another big one.

My politics were also informed by growing up Jewish/Catholic, going to Mormon after school programs (my neighbors were Mormons when I was a kid and I went to church functions and other fun stuff with their kids) and even a trip to Utah which I enjoyed a lot but also going to black Baptist churches and basically experiencing a bunch of different religions was really cool and fun to me. I even researched Buddhism and read a neat book by the Dalai Lama, but I can't remember which book it was now.

It's weird looking back because I loved Mormonism the mist I think. Everyone was super nice, I remember being disappointed-but-not-surprised.gif when I found out as a teenager that they wouldn't even let black people in until recently. I think I was only surprised because it was the only white group where it wasn't like "Why are you here??"
Only 3.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

canepazzo posted:

This video is pure, unadulterated anti-arzy. Check out those Florida numbers :stare:

:bisonyes:

Go voters go!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

The Vagina Monologues
Also if you live in a college town, and I think a lot of goons do, there are definitely going to be live performances of these. It's worth seeing, especially since they do new ones and get updated all the time.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

canepazzo posted:

I *really* hope this means Rubio is toast.

This blog is also a pro follow: http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog
Hoping this bodes well for Cortez Mastro. Early indications seem to be that Dems are running up the score where it really counts, i.e. in states with competitive senate races.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

canepazzo posted:

Bill Mitchell is a loving moron and posting/discussing the stupidity that flows from his Trump-rotted mind outside of CSPAM should be a probation in my opinion.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chinese Gordon posted:

I *really* hope this means Rubio is toast.

Nah. He's probably quite comfortable ahead. There are countless people who just hate Trump way more than they hate the democrats.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shifty Pony posted:

Bill Mitchell is a loving moron and posting/discussing the stupidity that flows from his Trump-rotted mind outside of CSPAM should be a probation in my opinion.

It's pretty funny tho

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

❓❔❓❔

I don't get it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So ThinkProgress posted this hypothetical scenario where the lame duck Senate attempts to confirm Garland in order to stop Hillary from nominating someone younger and more liberal, only to get filibustered by Cruz.

It seems hilariously plausible to me, really. That sort of "gently caress the party, I want to grandstandam the real principled person here" thing is exactly what he does.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

8. One way to do that would be to to tell his supporters the system’s so rigged they should boycott in protest rather than waste their time.

I have two remaining hopes for the election. One is that this happens. The other is that after he loses, Trump "owns" the loss by claiming that he was a democratic plant all along and all the racists who fell for it are sad losers. He'd be lying, of course, but it would go a long way towards ripping that movement apart.

It's awful. We had just the same legitimisation happening in the UK after the Brexit vote; my father witnessed a man going off on a horribly racist tirade against an Indian shopkeeper, and when the man's own wife called him out for it he just said "No, it's all right now, we voted Leave."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/790886355647729664

Agrajag posted:

Looks like someone has never heard of the Art of the Deal. :smugdon:

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah. He's probably quite comfortable ahead. There are countless people who just hate Trump way more than they hate the democrats.

Right, but every point on the registered Dem turnout is bad for Rubio, since the vast majority of those voters will either leave the bottom of the ballot blank or vote Murphy. I can't see many specifically anti-Trump Dems plumping for Rubio.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So influential books is an interesting topic. I'd have to say more than any other book it's Catch-22 for me. That book is amazing. First it's a comedy, then it's a tragedy and then it's a horror, even though it's the exact same story each time. Plus the key message is that large institutions don't give a gently caress about you, which is absolutely true. Also that pure capitalism can result in pure evil in the pursuit of profit. Great book. Read it every summer from age 13 to 18

Other influencing ones are probably my neo-Keynesian econ books and also Marx's Das Capital (although I only read excerpts) which k read for my history of economic thought class. Only in seeing how Marxian, Neoclassical, Austrian and Keynesian analysis all yield different solutions to the same problem can you realize that economics is not the panacea some people say it is.

And probably the last specific book is The Black Swan by Taseb which I spoke about a bunch yesterday.

Honorable mentions:

Animal Farm
Brave New World
The Castle
Waiting for Godot

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

So ThinkProgress posted this hypothetical scenario where the lame duck Senate attempts to confirm Garland in order to stop Hillary from nominating someone younger and more liberal, only to get filibustered by Cruz.

It seems hilariously plausible to me, really. That sort of "gently caress the party, I want to grandstandam the real principled person here" thing is exactly what he does.

This would be *incredible*.

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
Why's it illegal to sell my vote? I thought money was speech now.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why would hillary's court pick be any younger or more liberal than garland?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because she would have a democratic Senate and wouldn't have to pick someone the Republicans would theoretically approve of.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why didn't Obamacare stop that?

edit: just realized this might sound like "concern trolling", but it's a serious question. I know Obamacare did a lot of good things, but why did it fail to control costs? Does it have measure to try to do that that don't go far enough?

From many pages ago, but I will point out that nominal healthcare costs rising linearly implies a decrease in the percentage terms rate of increase that is usually used. Generally speaking healthcare inflation is still faster than economy wide inflation but overall the pattern over the Obama admin is a convergence in the two.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is there a Jill Stein bomb somewhere here?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lurker here, going to chime in on formative books:

Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton - You went to high school. Life is so hard. Still, we can find peace and joy through the wonder of forgiveness.

It's Even Worse Than it Looks by Thomas Mann and Norm Ornstein - Two beltway moderates try to explain how our current governmental dysfunction really is overwhelmingly the republican's fault and how the structure of our democracy is poorly equipped to counter the issues.

The Better Angels of Our Natureby Steven Pinker - Things are actually getting better all the time. Be vigilant, work hard, but know that we're doing amazing things to make the world a better place daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Admiral Ray posted:

The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow
I read this very recently, and I love it. I hear his voice as Mel Brooks, it helps.

Polybius91 posted:

1984. I know this is a red flag for a lot of people because of how the book's been waved around by right-wingers and libertarians who don't understand the first thing about it, but I really it helped me understand the political climate I grew up in. I read this when I was fourteen, in 2005, when the Iraq war as in full swing, the US was torturing prisoners, the law that authorized sweeping domestic spying was called the Patriot Act, and you were a coward and a traitor if you ever questioned the spurious and shifting justifications for these things. "We have always been at war with Eurasia" stops being hyperbole pretty loving fast if you look at how the right wing media operates.
This is precisely my reason for listing it, down to the year. :cool::hf::cool:

Koalas March posted:

not a book buuuuut I watched a lot of Star Trek (all of them) as a kid. In fact TV has influenced me just as much.
Also agreed, the psuedo-marxist idealism is infectious. It influenced my morals a lot, in the "we have a responsibility to help whenever we can, we can and should feed and clothe everyone, focus on coming together as a species, work for the good of all, etc. etc." way. As did LoTR.

• Locked thread