Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

sout posted:

Is it called ghosting when on your old 1080p ASUS monitor you scroll down through text and there is a white trace of where the text used to be for half a second? How would I fix that?

Stop reading so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Or don't scroll down, Page Down.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've gouged my eyes out and it's no longer a problem, thanks.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Is there a 24 inch, 1080p, 144hz, gsync, ips monitor in the horizon or am I hosed?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Otakufag posted:

Is there a 24 inch, 1080p, 144hz, gsync, ips monitor in the horizon or am I hosed?

The closest thing is Samsungs 24" curved 144hz 1080p freesync VA panel with their 'quantum dot' backlights http://www.anandtech.com/show/10769/samsung-cfg70-curved-144-hz-displays

e: so yeah you're hosed :) either wait for vega to see if its any good or just buy a 27" screen. You can find them for ~500 refurbished if you look hard enough/wait long enough. I mean, considering the price premium for gsync, the vast majority of people who want it will also pay enough for a 27" display, so if you think about it the mfgrs have 0 reason to build one.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 23, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Otakufag posted:

This is what I've been asking for a couple years now :/

I guess it makes sense that most people who want 144 + gsync + ips are looking for 27" or bigger. Personally though I'm one of those people who just prefers 24 for gaming and finds bigger to be uncomfortable. Sometimes I think I should get a different desk and sit further away from the monitor to try and make 27" work but it seems silly to spend a lot of money buying a nice 27" and then essentially try to trick myself into not noticing it's bigger.

That samsung one freaks me out. What is supposed to be the point of a curved display at only 24"? I see the value in curving a big ultrawide but curved 24" sounds really weird to me. I wonder if I can go look at one somewhere at some point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Coworker's got a smaller curved screen, and it's not a huge deal like on an ultrawide but it's kind of neat.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have a 24" right next to a 27" and the size difference is not big at all. 24" screens are actual almost 80% the size of 27" screens (more so if you have a 1200p display like me). I used to use a 1200p 28" TV for my monitor, though, (went to the 24") then got my current 27" after my last (cheap) 27" bit the dust. Basically, what i'm trying to say is you get used to it very quickly and It's not as bad as you are making it out to be. And yeah, the curve on a 24-27" screen is kinda pointless, though it does help a tad bit with color shifting even on IPS. (I do have to wonder, though, if the 178 degree viewing angle they claim is somehow jury-rigged from having a curve, like "It's just like a 178o viewing angle!!")

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I have a 24" right next to a 27" and the size difference is not big at all. 24" screens are actual almost 80% the size of 27" screens (more so if you have a 1200p display like me). I used to use a 1200p 28" TV for my monitor, though, (went to the 24") then got my current 27" after my last (cheap) 27" bit the dust. Basically, what i'm trying to say is you get used to it very quickly and It's not as bad as you are making it out to be. And yeah, the curve on a 24-27" screen is kinda pointless, though it does help a tad bit with color shifting even on IPS. (I do have to wonder, though, if the 178 degree viewing angle they claim is somehow jury-rigged from having a curve, like "It's just like a 178o viewing angle!!")

IIRC the 178 degree viewing angle they claim is derived from the viewing angle before the color distorts, while the practical viewing angle is determined by the luminance shifting and the parts at an angle looking darker (which is why I got rid of my 34UM95 even though it was a great screen otherwise).

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The closest thing is Samsungs 24" curved 144hz 1080p freesync VA panel with their 'quantum dot' backlights http://www.anandtech.com/show/10769/samsung-cfg70-curved-144-hz-displays

e: so yeah you're hosed :) either wait for vega to see if its any good or just buy a 27" screen. You can find them for ~500 refurbished if you look hard enough/wait long enough. I mean, considering the price premium for gsync, the vast majority of people who want it will also pay enough for a 27" display, so if you think about it the mfgrs have 0 reason to build one.
My problem is that I live in loving Chile so the shipping taxes rape me hard. What's the cheapest 27 inch, 1440p, 144hz, gsync, ips monitor in the market right now?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Otakufag posted:

My problem is that I live in loving Chile so the shipping taxes rape me hard. What's the cheapest 27 inch, 1440p, 144hz, gsync, ips monitor in the market right now?

The Viewsonic XG2703-GS is $700 USD on Newegg. It's the cheapest of the IPS Gsyncs and in my opinion the best.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

The Viewsonic XG2703-GS is $700 USD on Newegg. It's the cheapest of the IPS Gsyncs and in my opinion the best.

i bought the xb271hu for about that much on amazon. I don't know if the acer re-certified store sells outside of NA, but if they do that's an option. I think people here have generally had good results from them, though yeah import taxes will be a bitch... Honestly you might want to consider settling for TN :/

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Otakufag posted:

The Dell S2716dg is a good monitor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Coincidentally, Dell's got a "Buy One Get One 50% Off" on monitors right now.

...probably just in the US store, though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Green Gloves posted:

The Dell S2716dg is a good monitor.

It isn't IPS.

Anti-Hero posted:

It uses a M270DAN02.3 panel, same as the XB270HU. The XB271HU uses the M270DAN02.6, which has substantially reduced backlight bleed. There's no reason to get it over a XB271HU.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
http://www.adorama.com/ssgc34f791.html

I CAN'T WAIT ANY HARDER ughghhhh

It's either that or a 40" X830C for my "budget" option; it has available 120HZ 1080P input, so I could do some faux widescreen twitchy gaming with it if necessary.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 24, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My parents are getting a new computer and have the option to get a new monitor and keyboard bundled with it for £130. The monitor offered is a Hanns G HE 247 DPB, and they currently have an HP 2310i. I've had a look at both set of specs and I really can't see a compelling reason for them to go for it (the keyboard just looks like a standard :pcgaming: backlit job) but I'm not sure if there's something I've missed on the newer monitor? It would be used for general browsing, life admin and gaming. My instinct is to get them to keep the money and buy something else later.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If the DP stood for 'DisplayPort' that might be a slightly compelling reason, but everything about the Hanns G monitor's specs says 'mediocre' to me and you could get a way better ASUS monitor for not much more which would have a better warranty and almost definitely a better panel.

https://www.hannspree.eu/en/monitors/he-series/he247dpb#product-specification

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Great, I'll let them know, thank you.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Here in Chile I could only find a couple of TN, 144hz, gsync monitors... at a bullshit price, no IPS g-sync monitors yet. Please help me decide which one to pick:
1- Asus PG278Q used for about 827.5032 USD
2- Dell S2716DG new for about 850.40 USD
3- G2460pg used for 597.98 USD

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Otakufag posted:

Here in Chile I could only find a couple of TN, 144hz, gsync monitors... at a bullshit price, no IPS g-sync monitors yet. Please help me decide which one to pick:
1- Asus PG278Q used for about 827.5032 USD
2- Dell S2716DG new for about 850.40 USD
3- G2460pg used for 597.98 USD

The S2715DG is the best pick there by a good margin.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

The S2715DG is the best pick there by a good margin.

what makes it better than the PG278Q?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

sout posted:

what makes it better than the PG278Q?

The PG278Q was the first 1440p144Hz monitor and it shows. The Dell monitor is a step up in build quality, anti glare coating, and customer support. It's a newer panel refresh too (though it's possible later manufactured PG278Q's have been updated)

The PG278Q has been plagued over its lifespan with issues of crosshatching and anti-ghosting, both of which I've not seen reported with the S2716DG.

Out of the TN GSync 1440p options, the S2716DG is the best bet. Especially since they are getting a new one for not much more than a used PG278Q.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

It uses a M270DAN02.3 panel, same as the XB270HU. The XB271HU uses the M270DAN02.6, which has substantially reduced backlight bleed. There's no reason to get it over a XB271HU.

I find your statement about bleed being related to the panel revision misleading. My understanding is that the display manufacturers panel mounting has a larger influence on bleed. Acer seemed to have done a good job with theirs, Viewsonic as well; Asus did not.

I have bought and returned multiple Asus PG279Qs and Acer XB271HUs and I would agree that the Acers have much better bleed of those two. However, my Viewsonic has identical image quality to the Acers, with a much more understated finish. If not for the bezel difference I would not be able to tell a difference between the Viewsonic and the Acer. There have also been reports that the 165Hz mode does not result in reduced response times like happens with the Acer and Asus units.

I simply could not stand the Predator logo and gamer accents of the XB271HU, so all things being equal I feel that the Viewsonic is the better display.

So my assertion still stands - if Newegg is an option I think the Viewsonic is the monitor to buy. Eventually it will come to Amazon.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Sure wish there was a 1080p Ips G-Sync panel. I have zero interest in 1440p. At this rate if I ever decided to take a leap on G-sync I'd just get a TN one.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
So I've read the last ~20 pages of this thread seeing what's the new hot poo poo for monitors these days and I'm still at a bit of a loss.

Can anyone give a recommendation for an affordable(ish) monitor with good color accuracy and brightness that will be used for 70% video editing and 30% gaming. Gaming won't be any FPS stuff, mainly just dark souls and FFXIV so I don't need any crazy high speed twitch bullshit. That new Samsung thing that's coming soon looks cool but I don't know that I need curved, and if I can find something that's a sane price I'd like to get 2 (which I feel like 2 curved wouldn't work). I also wouldn't be mad at an ultrawide, if there's a good option there, which would give me more real estate for my NLE.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
At the absolute worst, a curve may make things harder to see for people trying to look at the same monitor as you. Obviously, if you have no plans to share a monitor with someone else, then there's no harm in it. For the samsungs, at least, i think i remember seeing the prices as very reasonable, like 2-300 for the 27 and 1-200 for the 24 though i don't remember where i saw those.... Though yeah i can see it being awkward if you don't stack the monitors or something, unless you just extend the curve which wouldnt be perfect as 27 or 24 monitors dont split up a circle perfectly. 1800r means the monitor is an arc on a circle with a 1.8m radius, right?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 24, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SweetJahasus posted:

So I've read the last ~20 pages of this thread seeing what's the new hot poo poo for monitors these days and I'm still at a bit of a loss.

Can anyone give a recommendation for an affordable(ish) monitor with good color accuracy and brightness that will be used for 70% video editing and 30% gaming. Gaming won't be any FPS stuff, mainly just dark souls and FFXIV so I don't need any crazy high speed twitch bullshit. That new Samsung thing that's coming soon looks cool but I don't know that I need curved, and if I can find something that's a sane price I'd like to get 2 (which I feel like 2 curved wouldn't work). I also wouldn't be mad at an ultrawide, if there's a good option there, which would give me more real estate for my NLE.

I have a HP pavilion 25bw that is beautiful. Really any 1080p ips will work for you. Look for a dell too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
man that G-Sync tax is ridiculous.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

man that G-Sync tax is ridiculous.

It is but G-Sync is so loving great :(

I can't go back now, god help me if this $800 monstrosity ever breaks.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

BurritoJustice posted:

The PG278Q was the first 1440p144Hz monitor and it shows. The Dell monitor is a step up in build quality, anti glare coating, and customer support. It's a newer panel refresh too (though it's possible later manufactured PG278Q's have been updated)

The PG278Q has been plagued over its lifespan with issues of crosshatching and anti-ghosting, both of which I've not seen reported with the S2716DG.

Out of the TN GSync 1440p options, the S2716DG is the best bet. Especially since they are getting a new one for not much more than a used PG278Q.

Anecdotally, I have had zero issues with my PG278Q that I purchased just under a year ago. (Not even backlight bleed.) However, I know that they've had QC issues and I agree that price on a used one would make me look elsewhere.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there anything like the XB271HU but in 16:10 and/or 30" coming out any time soon?

I'm still in love with how huge my Dell U3014 is but the overshoot is feeling bad lately.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jack the Lad posted:

Is there anything like the XB271HU but in 16:10 and/or 30" coming out any time soon?

I'm still in love with how huge my Dell U3014 is but the overshoot is feeling bad lately.

No, there isn't, nor do I expect that there ever will be. Unfortunately 16:10 is a dying resolution.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a QNIX AH-VA panel as a secondary monitor and I'm kind of disappointed by the brightness dimming you get at different angles. It seems as sharp and colorful as an IPS if you're directly in front (maybe even more so) but when it's on an angle to the side there's a noticeable gradient of brightness. At least it doesn't mess with the colors like TN.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

RBX posted:

I have a HP pavilion 25bw that is beautiful. Really any 1080p ips will work for you. Look for a dell too.

Are there any Dells that are recommended here? A lot of this gaming performance mumbo jumbo doesn't really matter to me and the model numbers of everything are such a unintelligible mess that when I go through their huge selection of monitors I just get lost. Anyone have a good jump-off point for a Dell monitor that'd work well in a dual situation for video editing?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
U2415 or u2414 with some letter on the end

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's a good 27 inch monitor that I can buy used for ~$300. I've always had great luck buying used monitors, and I've been running 2 Dell U2415s and an old Dell 20-incher in portrait mode for years now, but I find that I need more resolution for web pages and coding side-by-side on the same monitor.

I also play games like Overwatch, but, for reference, I'm perfectly fine with the U2415 for this, so I don't need an ultra-elite-mega-gaming-XXX gaming monitor. But I don't want to go backwards from what I'm currently doing.

I have a saved search on ebay for a Dell U2713hm...anything else I should look for?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Thermopyle posted:

What's a good 27 inch monitor that I can buy used for ~$300. I've always had great luck buying used monitors, and I've been running 2 Dell U2415s and an old Dell 20-incher in portrait mode for years now, but I find that I need more resolution for web pages and coding side-by-side on the same monitor.

I also play games like Overwatch, but, for reference, I'm perfectly fine with the U2415 for this, so I don't need an ultra-elite-mega-gaming-XXX gaming monitor. But I don't want to go backwards from what I'm currently doing.

I have a saved search on ebay for a Dell U2713hm...anything else I should look for?

I see a few ASUS PB278Q sub-300 on eBay.

27", ISP, 1440p@60fps. I've seen it recommended here a few times.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 26, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

OhFunny posted:

I see a few ASUS PB278Q sub-300 on eBay.

27", ISP, 1440p@60fps. I've seen it recommended here a few times.

These are indeed fine monitors. I have one and quite like it. You don't need to go to eBay, though, as you can often find used/refurbed ones on Amazon for $300 or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

pocket pool posted:

Anecdotally, I have had zero issues with my PG278Q that I purchased just under a year ago. (Not even backlight bleed.) However, I know that they've had QC issues and I agree that price on a used one would make me look elsewhere.

I bought my RoG Swift in Oct 2014 (900 Euro :shepspends: ) and this beast shows no issues or problems, it was one of my best investments since I am playing on PCs.
My buddy has a 650 Euro budget, wants to play 1440p+Gsync+1ms and his buying the PG278Q next week. Should I check him out the Dell one? He won't buy Acer he told me.
He is an Eizo fan but there is no GSync Eizo, right?

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 26, 2016