Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I mean, even simunitions loving hurt. Imagine getting a blank shot straight in the eye. Or having a gun go off right by your ear. That'll ruin your rape holiday, no question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mustached5thGrader posted:

William isn't the MIB. I haven't been this annoyed with dumb fan theories since Lost.

This is as bad as, "Shannon was stabbed."

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I like the two timelines idea because if it's true, then it implies no one else who came to the park ever helped the prospector when he fell in the mud, so the narrative dept decommissioned him (much like they were ready to decommission Maeve when no one would gently caress her- kudos to Thandie Newton on those scenes, btw. Amazing to see the subtle changes in her performance every time they tweaked her personality!)
By the time Mcpoyle came back to find the prospector and follow the narrative he really wanted to do originally, he realized that thread had vanished into the wind. He spends the next 30 years trying to find out what the goddammed prospector was talking about when he said "across the river and over the savage lands there's a treasure" and that he has a map. After decades of visits, he realizes how close he was to the final boss and has to set off the singularity so the robots can access their collective memory banks to dig up that old clue.

I also legit like the two timelines idea bc the implication that Dolores has been experiencing these flashes of consciousness for 30 years, and has been living in hell all this time.

And, I mean, douchebro did tell Mcpoyle that after one visit, he'd be begging to come back. That does seem like a hint to the viewer.

Seriously though, the two timeline theory seems a little too cute for a show that seems so well paced and written. Mostly I don't know what to think because this argument reminds of the time one poster in the GoT thread argued over and over that Stannis was kind of evil, and everyone dogpiled on him to disagree, but then it turns out he was right, which wouldn't have been a big deal, but he was really obnoxious about it, so now I try not to take tv show predictions too seriously.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm flashing back to that time where lots of people crapped on a guy in the Lost thread for theorizing that the Russian dude was still alive.

I'm not a two timelines believer, but i won't dogpile.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Also, haven't seen a link posted, but if anyone cares to speculate, here are some unaired images from the "weeks ahead" spots- 1, 2, and 3.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lycus posted:

I'm flashing back to that time where lots of people crapped on a guy in the Lost thread for theorizing that the Russian dude was still alive.

I'm flashing sideways to the time when I believed in the Arya=Waifu theory, because I thought that no human being could be that bad of a writer. GoT destroyed my ability to embrace TV show theories and it destroyed my ability to feel human.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

The whole thing might be even possible, I'm not nearly :spergin: enough (despite some evidence to the contrary) to comb through four hours of footage to see if there's anything contradicting it. I'm mainly not convinced why it is narratively necessary.

Instead, my current theory is that (almost) every scene is in its own timeline.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

whalesteak posted:

Also, haven't seen a link posted, but if anyone cares to speculate, here are some unaired images from the "weeks ahead" spots- 1, 2, and 3.

Just a heads up to others, some of these are pretty spoilery!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Is there a reason for an alternate Westworld logo that doesn't involve timeline fuckery?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Abner Assington posted:

Is there a reason for an alternate Westworld logo that doesn't involve timeline fuckery?

The company having multiple logos.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Right, I get that idea. I'm a designer, so I know brands have/can have primary and secondary logos. But the "alternate" one is featured pretty prominently in ways that seem odd from a branding standpoint.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The company having multiple logos.

I'm not a two timeline apologist, but what purpose would the producers of the show be trying to achieve by doing that? Other than, I guess, a multiple timeline red herring.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Having an incompetent marketing department seems less of a stretch than multiple timelines? :shrug:

I don't know.

elgarbo posted:

I'm not a two timeline apologist, but what purpose would the producers of the show be trying to achieve by doing that? Other than, I guess, a multiple timeline red herring.

Make the world feel lived in and authentic, "people come here for the details."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I could see them being a few years apart or something but this 30 years business? Harris remarks on the progress they've made with teh robots. William and Harris are interacting with the same robots.

Edit: It's more likely that It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Westworld are a shared-universe.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 25, 2016

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Man, some angry loving TV watchers in this thread.

The logo thing is interesting - were there any logos shown when they went down to cold storage? I'm not convinced about the William=MiB theory, but if they make it work I can just explain away some of the inconsistencies as part of Dolores going crazy.

I like the Bernard and Dolores dream theory though. I noticed how Bernard was always wearing different clothes than in previous scenes, not that that proves anything.

So Logan's family is invested in Westworld, that's interesting. I don't think he's the board representative that Ford mentions, cause he keeps complaining about how much he's paying. If the board sent him he wouldn't be paying.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 25, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Three timelines is based entirely on Anard being a much snappier dresser than Bnard.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If they were just invested in the park and he's just a board member, there's a good chance he'd still pay something.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

tadashi posted:

If they were just invested in the park and he's just a board member, there's a good chance he'd still pay something.

You think? If they sent him there as a representative he's not paying. You don't pay for your own work trips.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder why some quests are claimed to be more challenging than others. You have godmode, so any quest should be easily doable for even "level 1" players.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Disco De Soto posted:

You think? If they sent him there as a representative he's not paying. You don't pay for your own work trips.

You do if it supposed to be under the radar. You'll never know how a hotel treats the average guest if you call up and say I NEED TO REVIEW YOUR HOTEL GIVE ME A ROOM.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ymgve posted:

I wonder why some quests are claimed to be more challenging than others. You have godmode, so any quest should be easily doable for even "level 1" players.

Could just be as simple as physical fitness and willingness to rough it for a few nights.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Memento posted:

Could just be as simple as physical fitness and willingness to rough it for a few nights.

Also being willing to be shot repeatedly. Like I can't imagine going up against Armistice and company on your own would be a whole lot of fun.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

http://imgur.com/a/esylw

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ymgve posted:

Given that the two guests doing the saloon heist with Hector Escaton this time around were forcibly subdued and slated to be thrown in jail for a night, it's pretty clear that while you're not at risk of dying, there is a risk of pain or confinement associated with some activities.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

elgarbo posted:

Why, it couldn't possibly be visual shorthand for Ford remaking the park in his own image over top the wreckage of the old park that was made in Arnold's image. Notice that the "new" logo is found only in the private staff office buildings and the underground elevator that takes Ford directly to the spot overlooking part of his new project. I mean one might even assume that the new logo was as new of an addition as Ford's new narrative, like within the past month or so before the events of the show.

But no that would make too much sense, clearly William is the Man in Black.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Every jump cut's a new timeline. Westworld is actually about a quantum multiverse. William is actually every character.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Why, it couldn't possibly be visual shorthand for Ford remaking the park in his own image over top the wreckage of the old park that was made in Arnold's image. Notice that the "new" logo is found only in the private staff office buildings and the underground elevator that takes Ford directly to the spot overlooking part of his new project. I mean one might even assume that the new logo was as new of an addition as Ford's new narrative, like within the past month or so before the events of the show.

Also, the logos when William is arriving change slightly. You could say we see multiple logos, I guess. Here's another one in the background from when he's being outfitted. People are just fixated on the first one he sees for some reason.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 25, 2016

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Are we supposed to be getting sympathetic towards MiB in this show? I mean episode 4 posited that he has a humanitarian foundation outside of Westworld, so it looks to be trying to go down that road, but on the other hand he (apparently) raped Dolores and its implied that he has done so repeatedly. If you assume the latter to be true, can there be any redemption?

I guess it's possible the show could be asking us to forgive and root for a rapist, but it seems more likely that the episode 1 rape scene was a bait and switch, doesn't it?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that every scene is its own timeline. If you think about it, everything this week happened after last week's episode!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

tadashi posted:

The logos when William is arriving change. Here's another one in the background from when he's being outfitted.

That's also the old one, and it addresses nothing that I said in my post. In fact it's the same shot as one of the screenshots already posted

Caufman posted:

A minute later, still the same logo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Durzel posted:

Are we supposed to be getting sympathetic towards MiB in this show? I mean episode 4 posited that he has a humanitarian foundation outside of Westworld, so it looks to be trying to go down that road, but on the other hand he (apparently) raped Dolores and its implied that he has done so repeatedly. If you assume the latter to be true, can there be any redemption?

I guess it's possible the show could be asking us to forgive and root for a rapist, but it seems more likely that the episode 1 rape scene was a bait and switch, doesn't it?

I don't think so. It's sort of like he's a Nazi death-camp officer who runs a soup shelter on his time off, the show has been rather unambiguous about the humanity of the hosts, you do not get a pass for being a rapist & a psychopath for doing some good deeds off-camera.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 25, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The spacing of the brand name on the can Dolores drops is different when it's with William. Timelines confirmed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

That's also the old one, and it addresses nothing that I said in my post. In fact it's the same shot as one of the screenshots already posted

We can argue semantics but the colors are literally different.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
There was never any rape or attempt by the MiB shown but I already argued after the first episode that this isn't what happened and now it's even more obvious that he didn't rape Dolores, he probably scalped her for the very same reasons he did it to the other guy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

tadashi posted:

We can argue semantics but the colors are literally different.

And that matters why? The old logo is "light color with dark-shaded accents", or not even light color, it's transparent with dark-shaded accents. On the video screen it shows a panorama and the old logo has transparency on the lighter parts, and on the worker's clothes it's transparent with the white cloth showing through. It's filled for that one scene because it's against a black background, that's like basic graphic design. It's still the same logo, in the board room and on the column by the elevator it's different.

The Dave posted:

The spacing of the brand name on the can Dolores drops is different when it's with William. Timelines confirmed.

I mean they call that one guy "Remus" but he's clearly Trevor from GTA, so is Westworld a virtual reality and is it in the same continuity as GTA V? Is this viral marketing for the new Red Dead Redemption?!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 25, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Accretionist posted:

This is as bad as, "Shannon was stabbed."

"She just wanted to talk"

"Did he shoot the dog?"

"The other guy shot the dog"

:allears:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I mean they call that one guy "Remus" but he's clearly Trevor from GTA, so is Westworld a virtual reality and is it in the same continuity as GTA V? Is this viral marketing for the new Red Dead Redemption?!

I dunno man, why don't you take some more screenshots, that'll prove something.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can't even tell who's arguing for what anymore? Can we just all go back to looking forward to wondering what Logan will do in Epsiode 5?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

"Sir, the guests are attacking our hosts in the cafeteria and tearing everything apart looking for a 'maze' of some sort. We've lost several healthy choice selections and we're going to have to completely dump the salad bar of all simufood"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sypher posted:

I think it would be interesting if William/Logan are one of the first guests in the park.

can't be, because we know early hosts were a lot more stilted and less improvisational than the hosts William is interacting with.

the two timeline theory isn't even a red herring, since there's been absolutely nothing in the show to support it or even hint at it. literally the only reason people think it is because two of the characters haven't been on screen together, despite several characters having interactions with both plotlines.

if that's all you need for a theory, then my theory is that actually Bernard is the Man in Black; he's so frustrated with Ford treating the hosts like things and holding them back from consciousness that he decides to find the maze and set them free, and also he changed his skin color/appearance somehow - maybe in one of the milk baths.

I also think that at some point Lawrence gets a sex change and starts working in the brothel; that's why Thandy Newton is so obsessed with being operated on - she's post op after all, right? although maybe she isn't - we haven't seen her pussy, so maybe she doesn't have one.

hey, maybe William is actually Ford, and he's just loving with his new brother-in-law by pretending it's his first time! maybe the brother-in-law is Arnold in costume and it's a double bluff....wouldn't that be FUCT UP? have you ever questioned the nature of ur reality??!?!??!?!

the speculation isn't even compelling; it's about equivalent to speculating that Moby Dick is actually the Loch Ness Monster.

• Locked thread