Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

On a perfect forum people would just argue about things instead of focusing on who's actually right and using opinions as some sort of psychological leverage designed to make themselves feel better.

This isn't like exclusive to videogame forums, this is just how people are, so I guess it's more "in a perfect world". There's a reason there's all sorts of organizations and elaborate rules for treating debate like a competitive sport.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Talk about video games, video games are cool.

yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I finished my first Civ6 victory and now I'm playing World of Final Fantasy on PS4. It's really cute and the turn-based combat is fun but the first two hours dump a lot of exposition on the player. It kind of reminds me of the Bravely games that way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As I fired up Stardew Valley today I lingered my cursor over another game near it on my list - GALAK-Z. But every time I think "yeah I'll boot it up for a spin, play it some more" I think of how the story mode is permanently unfinished and it ends on a cliffhanger and an endless mode and it'll never, ever be resolved so I shouldn't get invested in it. :sigh:

Fortunately Stardew Valley is finished, and I'm having a ball with it as I near the end of year one. I got the bus fixed, so I finally finished my aquarium bundles!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bloodychill posted:

I finished my first Civ6 victory and now I'm playing World of Final Fantasy on PS4.
How is Civ6? It's getting really good reviews but some people say they dumbed down some gameplay mechanics.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

In Training posted:

I dislike almost everything about gaming on a PC but it's all worth it for EUIV and 2012-ish CK2.

Hey, I know this is from like ten pages ago, but I was gone all weekend and am catching up. I was wondering, can I ask, what it is about gaming on a PC that bothers you? My girlfriend is primarily a console gamer because the mouse and keyboard combination never felt right to her, she never cared for first-person shooters or real-time strategies, and there were Playstation exclusives that piqued her interest more than anything else. These make sense to me, I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am liking Gears of War 4 so far but I would much rather go back to Gears of War 3, I just don't want to play it BC on Xbox One. I really wish that game got a remaster for PC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

credburn posted:

Hey, I know this is from like ten pages ago, but I was gone all weekend and am catching up. I was wondering, can I ask, what it is about gaming on a PC that bothers you? My girlfriend is primarily a console gamer because the mouse and keyboard combination never felt right to her, she never cared for first-person shooters or real-time strategies, and there were Playstation exclusives that piqued her interest more than anything else. These make sense to me, I guess.

No problem. I was being mildly facetious but really it's just a matter of ease of use + liking a lot of the console exclusives. Every time I get a new game on PC there's that song and dance of twiddling with settings, getting my controller working, sometimes having to map inputs again etc. On PS4/WiiU you put the disc in or download the game and press Go. That's like 95% of it, also, I just grew up with console games so I just am used to them more. Graphical fidelity also doesn't matter to me when deciding where to play a game, unless it's actually negatively affecting how a game plays on the console version, which doesn't really happen too often. Hopefully that gives a little better insight!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The first games I played were on Atari 400 at my friend's house and we would have to stay still while the cassette tape with the game was being read because the smallest movement could disturb the process and we would have to start from scratch.

Then it was all PC gaming until I got a PS2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started on consoles.

The Atari 2600

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Games on tape is still a messed up magical sounding thing to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Multi-loaders (games where each level had to be loaded separately after you beat the previous one) were the locked 30fps games of their day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Metroid Prime series got less good with each sequel but the Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel is an improvement so maybe Retro should make another Donkey Kong instead of a Prime...

Metroid can go to hell, Donkey Kong Country Returns sequels forever.

Give me an entire game of rocket barrel levels

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In Training posted:

I still remember the weird sounds they were making when loading. Some cassettes would even play music to entertain you when you waited for them to load!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After Tropical Freeze I think I am done with Retro's take on Donkey Kong.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

vice city would play the nice gta3 jingle when you loaded it from tape

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I've ever played

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Tropical Freeze was amazing I'll fight you to death

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think earlier DKC games were much better balanced, well specifically DKC2 I suppose, and overall Tropical Freeze just felt like another Returns but without bringing anything additional to the table besides I guess looking prettier. It didn't feel like Retro evolved from their first foray into the franchise and I'm not sure I'd have confidence they'd be able to do better a third time.

And more than anything else I just don't think I have the mental endurance for a platformer that hard anymore, there were several times (2-K, 5-K and the water world especially) where I cam incredibly close to just dropping the game entirely and selling it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The noise they made is not magical

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who had a dial-up modem has also heard the screech

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Played Quake 2 on Heat.net on AOL dial up all day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I think earlier DKC games were much better balanced, well specifically DKC2 I suppose, and overall Tropical Freeze just felt like another Returns but without bringing anything additional to the table besides I guess looking prettier. It didn't feel like Retro evolved from their first foray into the franchise and I'm not sure I'd have confidence they'd be able to do better a third time.

And more than anything else I just don't think I have the mental endurance for a platformer that hard anymore, there were several times (2-K, 5-K and the water world especially) where I cam incredibly close to just dropping the game entirely and selling it.

I felt like TF was way easier than the first one.

The stage where you ride a rocket barrel through the rat cheese caves and the one where you ride one through the fruit processing plant had my jaw on the floor. I was blown away by how creative those stages were considering literally all you do is move up and down.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Metroid can go to hell

!!!!

Nate RFB posted:

!!!

Did you.. did you at least think Bopoplis was coooollll....

*faints into keyboard*

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm only half joking whenever I say that, I want everyone who likes Metroid to get a new Metroid especially after that Federation Force nonsense. However I personally do not like the Metroid games and love DKCR + TF and would much rather have more of that instead.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tropical freeze has got some super creative set pieces and it rules for speedrunning

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed tropical freeze well enough but I'd much rather retro do something totally new altogether

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

The most magical thing about games on tape was that since all the data was just audio, some early nerd shows would have a segment where the presenter would go "okay get your tape decks ready because we're about to broadcast ghastly screeching noises that you can run on your C64"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

oddium posted:

tropical freeze has got some super creative set pieces and it rules for speedrunning

For real, watch this whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O0TMFbI8cc

I like this one more than the race from this year but both are still good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Macaluso posted:

I felt like TF was way easier than the first one.

The stage where you ride a rocket barrel through the rat cheese caves and the one where you ride one through the fruit processing plant had my jaw on the floor. I was blown away by how creative those stages were considering literally all you do is move up and down.
In terms of rocket barrel levels yeah they are probably easier this time around, though that one puzzle piece in world 6 is way way way too hard. They also didn't make you go through a rocket level to get to the final boss where if you died afterwards whoops now you can't get a DK barrel. I think the temple levels were way harder though, and way too many regular levels seemed clearly designed to have a partner from the DK barrel and not Donkey by himself, which would be fine if there was always a DK barrel after a checkpoint which of course was almost never the case.

I think if you provided a DK barrel after every checkpoint and made it so that items used prior to entering levels were always active even after dying like Squawks it would've gone a long way at mitigating my issues with the difficulty. Also get rid an oxygen meter while underwater, those are always terrible.

Monkey Fracas posted:

!!!!

!!!

Did you.. did you at least think Bopoplis was coooollll....

*faints into keyboard*
That's 2-K, right? That one was super hard but at least it wasn't 5-K.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/786582430576697344

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That doesn't even make sense. That makes it sound like there would be things to do in an election besides vote on one day.

Elections would be way more fun if road-tripping around the country to do repetitive mini-games impacted the outcome.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like this one

https://twitter.com/aurahack/status/786349717538140161

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

In Training posted:

No problem. I was being mildly facetious but really it's just a matter of ease of use + liking a lot of the console exclusives. Every time I get a new game on PC there's that song and dance of twiddling with settings, getting my controller working, sometimes having to map inputs again etc. On PS4/WiiU you put the disc in or download the game and press Go. That's like 95% of it, also, I just grew up with console games so I just am used to them more. Graphical fidelity also doesn't matter to me when deciding where to play a game, unless it's actually negatively affecting how a game plays on the console version, which doesn't really happen too often. Hopefully that gives a little better insight!

What in the gently caress games are you playing? None of that is ever necessary unless you're playing some tiny unpublished indie game.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the real thing you should be incensed about is using a controller for non-flight sim games

like, bro

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"thou hast forsaken thy wasd" - computer grand master / self proclaimed monk

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the only games you should be using a controller for are flight sims, fighting games, platformers, driving games, beatemups, shmups, and legally emulated console games.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i think you should play games however makes you comfortable imo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think you should play games however makes you comfortable imo

yeah but then how will nerds feel superior about something

where's the fun in that old bean

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

w-a-s-d more like w-B-A-D !! as long as there's a good alternative controller scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yo controllers and mouse and keyboard aren't weird. Tell me the weirdo setups you've used to play a game.

Playing a platformer with your feet, Soul Calibur with a fishing controller, etc.

• Locked thread