Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Yo controllers and mouse and keyboard aren't weird. Tell me the weirdo setups you've used to play a game.

Playing a platformer with your feet, Soul Calibur with a fishing controller, etc.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/13/13279836/overwatch-winston-bananas-twitch-rudeism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played Metal Gear Revengeance M&K. Best way to play it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Adam Bowen posted:

What in the gently caress games are you playing? None of that is ever necessary unless you're playing some tiny unpublished indie game.

Or he doesn't have the latest 3d card and poo poo and has to lower graphical settings

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adam Bowen posted:

What in the gently caress games are you playing? None of that is ever necessary unless you're playing some tiny unpublished indie game.

Yeah, you could play Arkham Knight which doesn't work no matter how much you mess with it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's too many games coming out all of a sudden, aaaah I need more free time. I wish publishers would stagger releases more but I know they're all trying to get in for the xmas season.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Yo controllers and mouse and keyboard aren't weird. Tell me the weirdo setups you've used to play a game.

Playing a platformer with your feet, Soul Calibur with a fishing controller, etc.

i beat soul calibur with a ddr pad once

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually Jan/Feb next year is worse for me, probably pushing 15 games I want.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I tried playing through demons souls on a fight stick but its really hard to play those games with no camera control

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

Every single game requires this, because games are designed for general targets instead of specific hardware. Also the only games I play MKB is FPSes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pft, you can beat Dark Souls on a plastic guitar

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Pft, you can beat Dark Souls on a plastic guitar

I can beat lots of stuff with a plastic guitar but eventually they break

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I can beat lots of stuff with a plastic guitar but eventually they break

The thing you're beating or the plastic guitar?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Is anyone else gonna get World of Final Fantasy?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

more like dICK posted:

Is anyone else gonna get World of Final Fantasy?

I was, but I got Dragon Quest Builders instead. I might pick it up later.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I've been playing dishonored in prep for the sequel. The story is really really bad, the gameplay is decent though and I just like choking people in games and then doing fun things with unconscious bodies like making their butts touch and laughing at the rag doll effects.

Thankfully you can skip almost every cutscene

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Rockstar has defeated me in video games, please help me get past this final boss

my partner opened the door behind me while i was admiring the hollywood skyline at the end of a 2-hour long case. i don't want to go back and re-do this poo poo all over again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In Training posted:

Every single game requires this, because games are designed for general targets instead of specific hardware. Also the only games I play MKB is FPSes

I haven't played a mainstream game in years that required any kind of manual setup to get an Xbox controller working

Graphic setting auto detection has definitely improved in leaps and bounds recently. Microsoft's implementation of dynamic settings adjustment in Forza Horizon 3 is pretty cool, if a little hampered by technical issues in the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can you pull out a gun and shoot Roy?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It'd restart you at a recent checkpoint probably

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Golden Goat posted:

The thing you're beating or the plastic guitar?

Depends i guess.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
update: 10 minutes have passed and i've made what might be a little bit of progress. i'm sure that with time i'll find some way to solve this puzzle and crack the case wide open!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cole phelps: spiderman

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

How is Civ6? It's getting really good reviews but some people say they dumbed down some gameplay mechanics.

From the last page, but:
The mechanics are stellar. The biggest complaints are about the UI being obtuse and lacking information, and the AI being as dumb as ever.

It's really, really fun though, I would recommend it to people who liked Civ V even a little

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love Stole the Day posted:

update: 10 minutes have passed and i've made what might be a little bit of progress. i'm sure that with time i'll find some way to solve this puzzle and crack the case wide open!

Your partner is currently explaining that suicide might not work from that height and you could just end up disfigured or crippled instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope someone tries to make another detective game with creepy facial animations someday because I thought LA Noire was pretty neat even with its flaws

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
update: after stripping naked as a call for help and throwing my clothes over the balcony, my partner threw a new suit he borrowed from the suspect to give to me. unfortunately, it appears rockstar has finally defeated me, for i have no choice because there are no checkpoints here unfortunately, it seems.

ill just go watch a lets play, gently caress this case.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jay Rust posted:

From the last page, but:
The mechanics are stellar. The biggest complaints are about the UI being obtuse and lacking information, and the AI being as dumb as ever.

It's really, really fun though, I would recommend it to people who liked Civ V even a little
Good to hear, Civ 5 was like crack to me at the time so I might have to give this one a go some day.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LA Noire was pretty cool as an interactive police drama. The cases were great and writing was legit and the overarching reveal was good. Too bad about the open world but you could also just let your partner drive everywhere and treat getting to the crime scene as a loading screen or something. You still had to do the action scenes though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I do hope they improve the UI a little for Civ 6 in a patch. There are a lot of places where I'd prefer to know number of turns that isn't on the screen, and some of the sidebar notifications are definitely quirky. It's good, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lizard Wizard posted:

How do I get my PS4 controller to work on my computer please and thank you

Since nobody else said this maybe my laptop is hosed up but whenever I just plug a DS4 in, like 90% of PC games recognize it as a "generic gamepad" and everything works pretty good. :confused:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A Skyrim mod won the Australian Writers' Guild Award: http://imgur.com/gallery/BscE3

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Holy poo poo I just installed InputMapper and it works

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Holy poo poo I just installed InputMapper and it works

Yeah I just use InputMapper

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tunahead posted:

The most magical thing about games on tape was that since all the data was just audio, some early nerd shows would have a segment where the presenter would go "okay get your tape decks ready because we're about to broadcast ghastly screeching noises that you can run on your C64"

I think some magazines sent out floppy vinyl records that had code on them, too, that you then dubbed to a tape.

Every time this comes up I gotta mention Bangai-O Spirits doing basically the same thing for its level sharing feature. Levels you create can be output as audio, so you can record it on your computer by hooking the headphone port on the DS to the line in on your PC or using a microphone. Put it somewhere on the internet (like YouTube!) and others can then record the audio data back into the game by pressing a headphone/earbud up against the DS microphone. Way to future-proof against the shutdown of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ewto3ntzQ

Phantasium posted:

Playing Capcom vs. SNK 2 with the Gamecube controller.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I never play single player games anymore. I don't know what it is but I feel like a switch flipped in my brain around a year ago. Now when I sit down in the evening to play something it's almost always overwatch or something coop that I can play with friends.

Maybe I just need something good to come out and kick me from this funk.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I've been playing dishonored in prep for the sequel. The story is really really bad, the gameplay is decent though and I just like choking people in games and then doing fun things with unconscious bodies like making their butts touch and laughing at the rag doll effects.

Thankfully you can skip almost every cutscene

Realizing that stories in videogames don't matter was a liberating experience for me

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

PantsBandit posted:

I never play single player games anymore. I don't know what it is but I feel like a switch flipped in my brain around a year ago. Now when I sit down in the evening to play something it's almost always overwatch or something coop that I can play with friends.

Maybe I just need something good to come out and kick me from this funk.

might i interest you in

persona

five

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PantsBandit posted:

I feel the exact same way. As you describe it, it's just like a switch was flipped in the brain.

I cannot stomach singleplayer games anymore except for maybe short and novel experiences like Kingdom. I just get interminably bored. I think it's a symptom of just having seen it all (or something like it) before. I just cannot maintain interest in a game if I am the only human actor in the system.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 25, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm the exact opposite, playing with online strangers is stressful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing on my own let's me move at my own pace, I.e. slow as gently caress

• Locked thread