Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/790697468891574273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
lol it's going to be a hung jury, isn't it?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

wearing american flag poo poo is desecration

Wearing American flag stuff isn't desecration, turning an American flag into something is

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Starshark posted:

Why hurry perfection? I mean, getting jury sequestered is like a free vacation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Given the number of defendants and charges, the fact that this is taking more than two days is pretty much normal, I think, not a sign of a hang or a not guilty.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Young Freud posted:

Why hurry perfection? I mean, getting jury sequestered is like a free vacation.

You been on a jury? For more than unruly cat woman or something?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Starshark posted:

Nah. There are lots of charges, and to do the job right they have to look at each charge one at time and see if the government met the standard of that particular charge, and then formally vote on it. Even if they only spend 1 hour per charge, it's going to take a couple days to get through it all.

If it was me I'd want to take a couple days just to make it look good, even if I walked out of the courtroom sure that they are all guilty. You don't want the nut cases to think you're a plant or bought off or part of the conspiracy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Still a shame we couldn't have the guilty verdict and summary execution today on UN Day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

OBJECTION/SUSTANINED-OBJECTION/SUSTANINED-OBJECTION/SUSTAINED

4. Regarding the witnesses I was able to call, she allowed the Government Prosecution to harass the witnesses, by making so many objections it was obnoxious.
5. Almost all the objections were sustained, without her even asking what the objection was.

The real trick is when your objection gets sustained by starting to stand up before you even open your mouth.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wearing American flag stuff isn't desecration, turning an American flag into something is

What if the clothes have a gold fringe?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hobnob posted:

What if the clothes have a gold fringe?

Then you are a Free MACHO Man on the land.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

PBUH.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Oh yeah, oh yeah this is the place the place to be yeah but I don't consent to joinder oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah 'cause this is an admiralty court not common law oh no, not today, not tomorrow, not any day of the week because I am free, oh yeah, a free man on the land oh yeah.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
I ain't no ship, brother, but the evil government will have you believe my name is "HMS Jabroni"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fiend posted:

I ain't no ship, brother, but the evil government will have you believe my name is "HMS Jabroni"

The legal fiction HMS JABRONI.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nocturtle posted:

I feel bad for the judge.

This has got to be the absolute lowest point in the judge's career.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

The real trick is when your objection gets sustained by starting to stand up before you even open your mouth.

Scrub. The key is to be able to shoot a look at the judge before you even have to stand up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Sentencing for Cavalier/Booda:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/790996270009556992

Looks like any time he gets in the NV trial is to be served concurrently.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't think you can serve concurrently with time served. Time seved is 'okay, you're free to go, your time before trial counts as your sentence."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't think you can serve concurrently with time served. Time seved is 'okay, you're free to go, your time before trial counts as your sentence."

Yes you can.
If I have been in custody for 8 months on case A, and am sentenced to 8 months on that case, I get out today on credit for time served.
If I have case B, being prosecuted by the same entity, they can agree that those 8 months will apply to that case and will therefore be served concurrently.
If I get 12 months on the next case, I will get 4 month.
Also, I suspect this means he's snitching on the NV case and has a deal worked out there as well (probably for 8 months).
"Time-served" is not an actual sentence, "8 months" is. Requesting time served is just a shorthand to the judge for "sentence him to all his credits and no more and release him." In the minutes, it will read "sentenced to 8 months, credit 8 months."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Edit: Nvm, answered above. Thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's also the three years of probation to follow confinement.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So what does this mean?

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791003564415983616

Is it literally just that the jury wants to ask some questions before they make decisions?

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

TotalLossBrain posted:

So what does this mean?

Is it literally just that the jury wants to ask some questions before they make decisions?
Pretty much, yeah.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
When jurors have questions (whether they can consider certain information, whether they can get a clarification on a jury instruction, etc.) it is up to the court to provide (or decline to provide) an answer. Because a trial is more or less a zero sum game, the precise answer given likely benefits one side at the other's expense to some degree or another. As a result, the judge doesn't just answer the question immediately, the parties argue over the answer and then the court crafts the answer and gives it to the jury. It's more or less addenda to the jury instructions.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks!

Here are the questions:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791021686946566144

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791021767384965120

Those both look very bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, how did a former Land Management employee not get tossed out during juror selection?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah. What they read to me is - the top three are going down for all charges. The rest of the people are going down for only part of the charges. The potentially biased juror will be replaced with an alternate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Micheal_scott_noNoNoooNOOOO.mp4

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are jury notes usually released to the public before a verdict?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
lmao step up your voir dire game defense counsel.

Wouldn't be shocking based on those questions if one or more juriors are trying to find a way to avoid convicting Fry and Medenbach on the weapons charges.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is it possible a guilty verdict could be tossed because of the BLM guy in the jury pool?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Is that first question even valid? As in the jury should only be considering the evidence presented for each individual charge and not the implication of their votes for the trial as a whole?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

is it possible a guilty verdict could be tossed because of the BLM guy in the jury pool?

That's a stretch, his prior history with BLM was known during jury selection and the defense had 21 peremptory challenges. We also don't know what was actually said. For all anyone outside the jury rooms knows, he said "I'm very biased, but we have to look at each charge element by element and leave our personal feelings out of it" or something.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, juror bias is currently before the supreme court.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/us/politics/supreme-court-to-hear-case-on-juror-racial-bias.html

The existing standard is very deferential to secrecy of the deliberation process and if this case rolls that back it sounded at oral argument like it would be narrowly focused on issues of racial bias.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That's a stretch, his prior history with BLM was known during jury selection and the defense had 21 peremptory challenges. We also don't know what was actually said. For all anyone outside the jury rooms knows, he said "I'm very biased, but we have to look at each charge element by element and leave our personal feelings out of it" or something.

good

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Number 1 is a question that will be answered very carefully, but if answered properly shouldn't be an issue. With so many charges it is fairly likely a couple may hand or even ng as sometimes elements get lost by the prosecutor or jury.
Second one will result in a questioning on all the jurors. That is a very serious allegation.

I wouldn't read too much into the questions, but I suspect the defense is feeling better than the prosecution.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

Is that first question even valid? As in the jury should only be considering the evidence presented for each individual charge and not the implication of their votes for the trial as a whole?

Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 31(b) is pretty unambiguous - partial verdicts are fine. The ninth circuit model jury instructions are also very clear - each charge and each defendant has to be considered separately. See specifically model instructions 1.14 and 3.14.

Not surprising for the jury to be confused on a point like that though. This is a very complex case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

So what does this mean?

If dumbass lawyers get to make four thousand objections, 99% of which are overruled, the jury should get to troll the defense with dumb questions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So the judge agreed to question the juror behind closed doors with two of the defense attorneys and Knight present.
RB didn't like that.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791055664516767744