Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I can never get melee headshots to be reliable. It seems like you need your animation to hit their face not just have your dot on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I can never get melee headshots to be reliable. It seems like you need your animation to hit their face not just have your dot on it.

It's weirdly a lot easier to do it with the second attack, the backhand.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Digirat posted:

Depends how fast. You can let a bolt fly faster than one per second if you don't care about heat, and if you just vent a little bit in between bolts you can still keep it up at a really good rate. If you get one with the god-trio of traits on it (bloodlust, less heat, less venting damage) you can just eat all the venting damage and the staff will heal it all back up as you destroy entire waves by yourself on cataclysm.

Meanwhile the left click can still kill basic rats extremely quickly on nightmare if you headshot, although that's probably not what you were seeing.

Yeah the former sounds exactly like what I saw with a bit of the latter mixed in.

Lunethex posted:

It is unconventional the way it functions right now, but the silver lining to it is they will never contribute when it matters most.

That's why I'm a shieldpuncher.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is no situation where smashing poo poo's face in with a shield isn't a good idea outside of MAYBE Roger and even there you can do a ton of good taking out his buddies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

It is unconventional the way it functions right now, but the silver lining to it is they will never contribute when it matters most.

Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgH3e3SzdaU

I played several games on cataclysm with this player and he trivialized all of them using the bolt staff. We had to deal with maybe 20% of the enemies between the other three of us.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That's what's happening to me right now.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
If I'm playing as Kruber or the witch hunter and there is a bolt staff wizard and trueflight elf on the team, I just have to resign myself to constantly seeing enemies melt in front of me before I get the chance to swing my melee weapon. Special spawns somewhere on the map we can't see? Doesn't matter, it's already dead.

I have no idea why there are autoaim weapons in the game, and why they do so much damage. For me, the game is fun because of the way melee combat feels.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trueflight is at least limited. That staff is nuts.

Oh and digirat, that's the same dude actually.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I can do it reliably with dual elf daggers because of the stabbing animations. Put your mouse at head level and tear poo poo up.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
So I rolled regrowth and bloodlust on the same missile weapon; is that worthwhile for mega healing or can only one proc at the same time? I suppose I'm asking if I kill something will I be able to get 15% health back if both proc?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the 2-handed hammer for dwarf seems really fun for headshots, honestly. takes little effort to single out a stormvermin and plant blow after blow right on their noggin until they crumple. not entirely great at headshots with other weapons yet, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the 2-handed hammer for dwarf seems really fun for headshots, honestly. takes little effort to single out a stormvermin and plant blow after blow right on their noggin until they crumple. not entirely great at headshots with other weapons yet, though.

The Hammer is great because once you get the charged sweep timing down you can throw little rats around like bowling pins but the light attack is one of the best anti-stormvermin attacks in the game and can gently caress up Roger real good, too.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh it turns out the mage mace also follows up the charge attacks with the sweeps. So if you don't need an attack out right away to stun a rat just murder the first clan then juggle his friends.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Digirat posted:

The one handed axe is the worst melee weapon in the game. Absolutely anything else is better on the dwarf or witch hunter.

With the elf's melee weapons your goal should be to get either a halberd or sword & dagger (definitely the easier of the two to get). The difference in quality between those and her other three options is massive.

On the other end of the spectrum, axe+shield is one of the dwarf's best weapons in the game. The light attack penetrates armor and is great at crumping stormvermin and the rogre, and the heavy attack hits a ridiculously wide area and knocks everything down like bowling pins and comes out super fast compared to the 2h hammer. 420 shield punch slaveskaven erryday.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

they're handing out "star of the sisterhood" trinkets as a quest reward today! its a game breaking item, the more goons get it the better, imo :P

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Holy poo poo I have been waiting for this

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

But I'm still working on the red gun

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wish i could access the board :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DenverFentonAllen posted:

they're handing out "star of the sisterhood" trinkets as a quest reward today! its a game breaking item, the more goons get it the better, imo :P

Trying to remember, how does it interact with healing items?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The Star is the second best trinket in the game, but #1 for fun reasons (i.e not playing grim maps) because even if you take a tiny bit of fall damage, and the whole group is wearing it, everyone erupts with poo poo like

"I THOUGHT YOU FOREST FOLK WERE GOOD SHOTS!!"
"WAYWATCHER, IF YOU HIT ME ONCE MORE..."
"DOESN'T SIGMAR SAY DON'T SHOOT THE DWARF GRIMGI?"
"NOW WHAT HAVE I DONE?"
"KEEP SHOOTING ME, AND WE'LL HAVE A PROBLEM!!"
"KEEP 'DOIN THAT AND I'LL TAKE YER BEARD!"

If at least three people wear it, those three people are very likely to never die in any situation. The health pool you get is just massive. Healing becomes less effective because of the huge HP pool and everyone having good Bloodlust becomes an appealing option.

Also, today, I had a visitor :swoon:

e: also this because I just saw it

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 25, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Night10194 posted:

It's weirdly a lot easier to do it with the second attack, the backhand.

I think they actually get harder with the difficulty level. Like the hitbox shrinks or something

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fun bug I got to experience for the first time today.

We had just killed Roger and I had managed to survive the whole thing, got a team mate up and healed myself, then I just randomly keeled over dead. No enemies around or anything. What the hell?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holy poo poo, i'm loving the 1-hand hammer for dwarf. especially since i got a blue one with extra stamina and extra pushback when shoving

Mendrian posted:

We had just killed Roger and I had managed to survive the whole thing, got a team mate up and healed myself, then I just randomly keeled over dead. No enemies around or anything. What the hell?

you died from shock, which is the preliminary feature of fatshark's newest update which implements mental strain

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had a ridiculous run on Summoner's Peak. There was a terrible Witch Hunter in our group who was using the hatchet very poorly. We get to the final portal, and the second Rogre spawns in and downs him. Then came the swarms of Stormvermin constantly killing the Witch Hunter and us respawning him, but as we did so, the slaverats reset the generator. So we kept doing this over and over and over until finally the player quit and we got an AI Saltzpyre who had a greatsword and was honestly much better. Then the generator reset again, except this time, there were no swarms coming at us. The whole area was empty save for one packmaster. It was like we had killed every single ratman in Skavenblight, and once the terrible player had gone, we got a free walk to the end. Got a nice orange Axe/Shield for my troubles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Johnny Joestar posted:

holy poo poo, i'm loving the 1-hand hammer for dwarf. especially since i got a blue one with extra stamina and extra pushback when shoving

You have fantastic taste. If you get good at putting in the pushes you can go through the little bastards like a rat-killing snowplow with that thing. Add to it that the heavy attack is basically the two-handed hammer's light attack and there's nothing you can't deal with with the Ratstick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Had a ridiculous run on Summoner's Peak. There was a terrible Witch Hunter in our group who was using the hatchet very poorly. We get to the final portal, and the second Rogre spawns in and downs him. Then came the swarms of Stormvermin constantly killing the Witch Hunter and us respawning him, but as we did so, the slaverats reset the generator. So we kept doing this over and over and over until finally the player quit and we got an AI Saltzpyre who had a greatsword and was honestly much better. Then the generator reset again, except this time, there were no swarms coming at us. The whole area was empty save for one packmaster. It was like we had killed every single ratman in Skavenblight, and once the terrible player had gone, we got a free walk to the end. Got a nice orange Axe/Shield for my troubles.

The time between waves increases after awhile so you can't get stuck in a permanent hell of being good enough at surviving not to lose, but bad enough at keeping them off the generator to win. Presumably it can increase to the point where you can pull the lever and then have an entirely clear field until it blows up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Night10194 posted:

You have fantastic taste. If you get good at putting in the pushes you can go through the little bastards like a rat-killing snowplow with that thing. Add to it that the heavy attack is basically the two-handed hammer's light attack and there's nothing you can't deal with with the Ratstick.

it's wild just how quickly that heavy attack comes out. also just got royally hosed on well watch when the game decided to spawn a roger, globadier and gunner all at the same time

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
oh god I realized how to actually use the bolt staff

WHO OKAYED THIS

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grondoth posted:

oh god I realized how to actually use the bolt staff

WHO OKAYED THIS

It was not originally heatseeking.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Honestly even if it were heatseeking it'd be okay. But no it's heatseeking, limitless ammo, and piercing.

I don't know what that game is but it isn't the same as everyone else is playing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Night10194 posted:

It was not originally heatseeking.

It was more fun before heat seeking too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

It was more fun before heat seeking too.

Yeah, I'm on PC and I used to use it as a fire spear. When it became heat-seeking I was like "oh, okay. I guess I can see that." I didn't realize you don't have to goddamn lock on to poo poo and can blast 'em out constantly

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
My all time favorite moment in this game was when my team aggroed a stormvermin patrol and they all immediately died so I soloed like 5 of them with the old bolt staff and then rezzed everyone. It's nowhere near as cool if it heatseeks.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mendrian posted:

I had this once and it was because I had a sliver of health and the loving elf didn't know that nightmare has friendly fire and put an arrow in my loving head right on the edge of the boat on Black Powder as we were leaving.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I had some spare keys so I'm halfway to the glorious communist healthshare trinket, you fucks better all get yours.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I had some spare keys so I'm halfway to the glorious communist healthshare trinket, you fucks better all get yours.

I'm getting one, my friends are getting one. Except for that one guy who doesn't play that well and is liable to not be sober.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Trying to remember, how does it interact with healing items?

hp from items are divided among the trinket wearers afaik

e:potions are healing the group for more hp than kits, according to internet

2e: yesterday i rolled axe/shield like this: 9%bloodlust, 18.5%endurance and dev blow, AND got the red gun. my dwarf is a friggin monster now

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

I had this once and it was because I had a sliver of health and the loving elf didn't know that nightmare has friendly fire and put an arrow in my loving head right on the edge of the boat on Black Powder as we were leaving.

No, as I said, I had just healed. In fact, before I used the drought I had like a quarter of my health but I used it because my health-share trinket turned my friend's gray bar to green. Even if there was some kind of lag and the game couldn't figure out what my health was supposed to be, AND I had some kind of friendly-fire thing, I just straight up rag-dolled - I didn't do the little 'incapacitated' thing, I just straight up died like I had fallen off the level.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

i wish i could access the board :(

yea you should, i wouldn't mind running through the game on any pre-cata diff.with you or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Pretty stoked about the star trinket. That was one item I always wanted to try and now my friends and I will all have one. Do the potion share effects still work with it or should I drop it for damage reducing trinkets?

• Locked thread