Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really hope the Switch gets some reading apps, i'd be super down for using my Marvel Unlimited on it.

This is an entire new class of stupid poo poo to brag about during E3. Amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Things like Kindle and Comixology would be easy to do I think, but I wonder if Amazon is going to make any more apps for non fire devices if they weren't already supporting them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

elf help book posted:

This is an entire new class of stupid poo poo to brag about during E3. Amazing!

Can't wait for new reggie memes for 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want to get my hopes dashed before they grow: would it be impossible for each joycon battery to also fuel the Switch while undocked? I assume that they don't need a terribly huge amount of battery to work for hours since the gyro would be the most powerful part, they don't even shine any lights, so could it be possible that they each get a battery that gives 'em about as much battery life as a Wii U Pro Controller but when clicked into the Switch it can help raise its battery life to nearly triple? like the Switch has 3 hours of battery life, but with the joycons connected it'll essentially be over 8?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to get my hopes dashed before they grow: would it be impossible for each joycon battery to also fuel the Switch while undocked? I assume that they don't need a terribly huge amount of battery to work for hours since the gyro would be the most powerful part, they don't even shine any lights, so could it be possible that they each get a battery that gives 'em about as much battery life as a Wii U Pro Controller but when clicked into the Switch it can help raise its battery life to nearly triple? like the Switch has 3 hours of battery life, but with the joycons connected it'll essentially be over 8?

I have a feeling that estimating five hours of battery life is being generous.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think that's a pretty rosy estimation.

These probably also have vibrational motors and the right joycon may have an IR camera.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really hope the Switch gets some reading apps, i'd be super down for using my Marvel Unlimited on it.

That would probably look terrible/illegible on a 720p screen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

parents got the family a Switch for christmas but dad only uses it read jack reacher novels on the 50". breath of the wild has been sitting in the case for weeks :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

oddium posted:

parents got the family a Switch for christmas but dad only uses it read jack reacher novels on the 50". breath of the wild has been sitting in the case for weeks :(

You should have gotten your dad some James Patterson BOOKSHOTStm

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

I think that's a pretty rosy estimation.

These probably also have vibrational motors and the right joycon may have an IR camera.

Fair enough, but is the concept sound that the joycons could at least provide extra battery life?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Fair enough, but is the concept sound that the joycons could at least provide extra battery life?

I have a feeling that there's not gonna be a lot of juice in the joycons. A wireless 360 controller got like 20something hours out of a pair of AA batteries.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

You should have gotten your dad some James Patterson BOOKSHOTStm

if dad's not on the tv mom's got the switch in the bedroom reading bookshot flames

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Only if they build two extra connections to the power supply on the board for them i guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised if, when everything is hooked together, it acts as one big battery, but I don't think it would increase battery life much, unless you get the previously theorized big rear end gently caress Hori/MadCatz JoyBatCons.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

That would probably look terrible/illegible on a 720p screen.

the amazon fire is a 7in screen at 1024x600 and works perfectly fine for reading, a ~6in 720p screen would obviously have no problems

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, when everything is hooked together, it acts as one big battery, but I don't think it would increase battery life much, unless you get the previously theorized big rear end gently caress Hori/MadCatz JoyBatCons.

I just wonder how durable the connection would be sliding on and off all the time. It couldn't be a plug it would need to be some kind of fancy contact that just sounds complicated and prone to shocking kids if they lick it or something

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is anyone else hoping that the Switch will actually make the Hyoushigi sound when you click the JoyCons in? Give me my wish Nintendo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[definitely knows what the hyoushigi sound is] yes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope they make a mario dating sim called super smooch bros and you need to take the console out to dinner and a movie once a week or mario will dump you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's going to make this sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wcuoxs4mU

the whole thing

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope they make a mario dating sim called super smooch bros and you need to take the console out to dinner and a movie once a week or mario will dump you.

Pizza and Netflix count?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

a movie a week is 52 movies a year... i can't even name 50 movies i've seen ever...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super smooch bros can help you with that

Meridian posted:

Pizza and Netflix count?

twice a month, but only after the relationships been stable for a while so he feels invested enough to settle.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oddium posted:

a movie a week is 52 movies a year... i can't even name 50 movies i've seen ever...

You're halfway there with just the Pokemon movies

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Super smooch bros can help you with that

twice a month, but only after the relationships been stable for a while so he feels invested enough to settle.

Game literally impossible.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

oddium posted:

hosed up if true

I could probably name 250 off my dome

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

oddium posted:

it's going to make this sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wcuoxs4mU

the whole thing

This is the whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7nVqIkbwE
I'd recognize it anywhere.

I'm looking forward to Phoenix Wright in true HD. Don't disappoint me, Switch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

hosed up if true

I could probably name 250 off my dome

holy moly. are you including vhs and dvd copies separately or something

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Real hurthling! posted:

I just wonder how durable the connection would be sliding on and off all the time. It couldn't be a plug it would need to be some kind of fancy contact that just sounds complicated and prone to shocking kids if they lick it or something

IDK about battery power sharing but based on the Circle Pad Pro I'd wager that controller inputs when docked would be point-blank infrared.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

well why not posted:

Can't wait for new reggie memes for 2017

We really need to stop neglecting Kimishima in the memes department.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

oddium posted:

holy moly. are you including vhs and dvd copies separately or something

There are lots of movies in the world!!

It's official this thread has now SWITCHed to movie talk, y'all ready?

Also just realized the Switch won't have a blu ray/dvd drive, weird

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

There are lots of movies in the world!!

It's official this thread has now SWITCHed to movie talk, y'all ready?

Also just realized the Switch won't have a blu ray/dvd drive, weird

I mean, why add one now? Disk media is D-E-A-D dead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

oddium posted:

[definitely knows what the hyoushigi sound is] yes

The woodblock sound you hear in everything Japanese ever, oh and in the Switch reveal every time the logo halves come together.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here's what I do with new Blu-ray, open em up, get the ultraviolet code, then watch it on my Roku and toss it in a cabinet somewhere.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the new jack reacher movie was disappointing. turns out you need mcquarrie to make that poo poo interesting

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw Storks. First act, bad. The rest, pretty good. B- overall.

Wolves were the best part.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I saw Don't Breathe a couple weeks ago. It was fine. I guess I was expecting more bullshit ninja kills from the blind guy, like in the Friday the 13th reboot.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I don't know anything about batteries but I don't think super battery is a thing that can exist. It wouldn't be able to provide more juice than the joycons and tablet have individually, so what would be gained from linking the 3 batteries together?

I guess maybe if left joycon is dead, it could draw from right joycon and tablet so that it still works. But that's not the same as diverting more power to the tablet than it has by itself, which I still think wouldn't work.

How would that play out?

Three components are separate = longer overall play time, but less "suped up" tablet processing power

and then

Three components are combined = shorter overall play time but stronger tablet?

Again I don't understand electricity, just curious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deadly_pudding posted:

I saw Don't Breathe a couple weeks ago. It was fine. I guess I was expecting more bullshit ninja kills from the blind guy, like in the Friday the 13th reboot.

I thought it was good but was disappointed that:

1 - the chick didn't die
2 - the pitch black scene was so short. I felt 2-3 times as much of that footage would have been more interesting.

Turkey baster was the best scene. Audience was going nuts. Guys laughing, girls puking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

coffeecup posted:

I don't know anything about batteries but I don't think super battery is a thing that can exist. It wouldn't be able to provide more juice than the joycons and tablet have individually, so what would be gained from linking the 3 batteries together?

I guess maybe if left joycon is dead, it could draw from right joycon and tablet so that it still works. But that's not the same as diverting more power to the tablet than it has by itself, which I still think wouldn't work.

How would that play out?

Three components are separate = longer overall play time, but less "suped up" tablet processing power

and then

Three components are combined = shorter overall play time but stronger tablet?

Again I don't understand electricity, just curious.

Conceivably they could all kinda feed into a single "power supply", that the rest of the device then draws power from, but I think it'll be pointless because it's likely there's just like a AA battery (or rechargeable equivalent) in each JoyCon.

• Locked thread