Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I usually turn off the secondary mission option for all planes because it mostly leads to losing a shitload of planes because your idiot squadrons decide to random hit a defended airfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crazycryodude posted:

I think you're just trying to throw us off the scent of you landing in San Francisco 2 weeks from now.

With Tokyo Bay Fortress leading the charge.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

B-17's pay us a visit.

We take down a Bolo.

We start sweeping Port Moresby – it goes poorly today.

An attack at Chunking costs the Chinese heavily.

No ships attacked today, it looks like the battle is over – but we cost the Allies a good number of ships – 15 confirmed - and a lot of troops – 356 points worth. Not bad for just under a week.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Is that the first time we've seen the A6M3 Zero in action?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Not bad. Congrats on mauling the Allies Navy some and hopefully thrwarting thier buildup a bit. Good luck with getting the IJN and Army ready for future offensive operations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

After a dud and three misses, the Pike switches to its deck gun.

The Sweep goes better today.

We get a good raid together today.

I move a squadron from here to Luganville, so they attack here instead. Its almost like they now everything I do. Have our codes been broken?

The Nates do help put some damage on some Liberators though.

Akyab falls to the allies again.

There is not much I can do about Akyab now – once again, the snail like overland movement in this game screws me over. The incoming stack had enough AV to hold the city, but no enough to take it.
They shall start the long march south.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Flying a Zero at 40,000 feet must be an interesting experience

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Grey do you leave the units on combat or do you switch them to move when marching?

Combat moves take forever, when in move mode they tend to go so much quicker. Also marching into Aykab just plain suck with the river crossing.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

With Tokyo Bay Fortress leading the charge.

I will call this let's play a win if grey can manage to get Tokyo Bay Fortress to sink, or go on the offencive.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The bombing of our airfields is becoming more common. I need to get some flak down here.

I'm going to call off the sweeps, wait a few days for replacements, then try a mass bombing run on the airfield.

Appraently supply missions don't automatically cancel even if there are no friendlies to supply.

We took another day of heavy air losses.

I have no idea on this one.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Appraently supply missions don't automatically cancel even if there are no friendlies to supply.

lol

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
"The big man said we've got to drop these supplies that Japanese base, so dammit, that's what we're going to do."

Edit: I meant Allied base. Obviously my US bias coming through.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 25, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

pthighs posted:

"The big man said we've got to drop these supplies that Japanese base, so dammit, that's what we're going to do."

Who's gonna say no to a lovecraftian crocodile octopus monster?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

TildeATH posted:

Who's gonna say no to a lovecraftian crocodile octopus monster?

Depends, is he Army or Navy? :v:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

25 October 1942

Japanese light cruiser Yura, damaged by air attack near Savo Island, is scuttled.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

pthighs posted:

Edit: I meant Allied base. Obviously my US bias coming through.

Maybe they were trying to defect? Death to traitors.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Still love that avie, wish I'd done a better job of cropping the picture, maybe I'll try again.

... We dropped supplies on a British base? That's the Kamikaze spirit!

- the latest maru sunk from fires started by a Submarine deck gun

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 25, 2016

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Grey Hunter posted:

Obviously this is how you win the culture war!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
B-17s really are indestructible, aren't they? I don't think we've seen more than a handful get downed by air-to-air combat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Decoy Badger posted:

B-17s really are indestructible, aren't they? I don't think we've seen more than a handful get downed by air-to-air combat.

When, at best, you've got a couple of 7.7mm machine guns and a couple of mediocre 20mm cannons, yeah it gets tough downing a B-17.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
American planes having .50 machine guns for the entire tech tree in War Thunder versus the Germans having cannons almost immediately makes a lot more sense when you consider the relative threats they were facing.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Decoy Badger posted:

B17's and of all things British Wellingtons were supposedly absolute tanks to try and down.

B17's because they were typical American overbuilt and excellent quality components.

Wellingtons because of their internal air-frame design made for a LOT of redundancy if say a cannon shell blew a chunk out of the side

food-rf
May 18, 2014
The USAAF lost over 4000 B-17s in Europe, and a good number of those to fighters. That's hardly indestructible.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
In Europe they very quickly shifted to whole braces of 20mm and 30mm cannons to do that though. Japanese fighters were considerably less well armed, and it showed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

food-rf posted:

The USAAF lost over 4000 B-17s in Europe, and a good number of those to fighters. That's hardly indestructible.

Though note a lot of those fighters started to have weaponry specifically developed to kill B-17s, since that was one of the problems the Germans were constantly trying to solve. The Japanese, too. "How do we stop these loving planes." was a persistent problem for every American foe during the war.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk! Thankfully!

The Marines on Lunga just don't know when to give in.

The bombing runs continue.

Our fighters try their best, but they are not built to take down beasts like this.

We just have to hope these damaged planes crash on the way home.

More sacrifices on the alter of imperialism.

The Hankow attacks are costly, but needed – I can't just ignore 80,000 men for ever. I've pulled all the bombers out of Ndeni – their getting blown up for no reason – they are now at Rabaul to support any missions I make from there.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

professor_curly posted:

In Europe they very quickly shifted to whole braces of 20mm and 30mm cannons to do that though. Japanese fighters were considerably less well armed, and it showed.

iirc some of the FW-190 anti bomber variants had up to 8 20mm cannons on them. 2 in each wing and 2 under each wing in pods.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

shalafi4 posted:

iirc some of the FW-190 anti bomber variants had up to 8 20mm cannons on them. 2 in each wing and 2 under each wing in pods.

Nah, I don't think it ever carried that cannons, but it did carry some cannon gunpods and sometimes swapped out its regular 20mm guns for 30mm variants. They also had wing-mounted rockets they would use outside of defensive gunner range.

But that doesn't mean they didn't strap big fuckoff guns to other planes!

50mm cannon for anti-bomber missions.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Can anyone explain to me why we are losing so many men in the Hankow attacks when our raw AV outnumbers them almost 2 to 1 and our adjusted AV outnumbers them almost 3 to 1?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Cantorsdust posted:

Can anyone explain to me why we are losing so many men in the Hankow attacks when our raw AV outnumbers them almost 2 to 1 and our adjusted AV outnumbers them almost 3 to 1?

Ground combat modelling in WitP is relentlessly awful.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Cantorsdust posted:

Terrain modifiers. Assaulting for example a mountain or a city is expensive and hard. Especially when there is 80 thousand soldiers with nothing to loose defending it.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Heavy Urban specifically gives a 4 times modifier to defenders. Though they are low on supply, they should start collapsing soon regardless.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cantorsdust posted:

:greyhunter:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Insufficient spirit displayed by not using Shock Attacks, obviously. :japan:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there any flak that'll stop a B17? I guess with more flak they have to fly higher.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

food-rf posted:

Intercepting is easier when you don't have to worry as much about things like fuel capacity and ammo weight.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

If I'm remembering aright, adjusted AV only matters for determining whether you force the other guy to retreat from the hex. Casualties are a function of the individual squads and weapons systems at play.

26 October 1942

The Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. Aircraft carrier Hornet sinks after absorbing three bombs, two air-dropped torpedoes, and two crashing dive bombers in a strike by Shokaku and Zuikaku, followed later by an additional torpedo from aircraft from Junyo, two more bombs from Zuikaku and Junyo aircraft, multiple torpedoes and numerous five-inch shells from destroyers Mustin and Anderson (in an attempt to scuttle her), and finally four torpedoes from destroyers Akigumo and Makigumo. Destroyer Porter was also lost after being stuck by a torpedo, which may have been launched by submarine I-21, or may have been accidentally deployed by a ditching Avenger.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nah, I don't think it ever carried that cannons, but it did carry some cannon gunpods and sometimes swapped out its regular 20mm guns for 30mm variants. They also had wing-mounted rockets they would use outside of defensive gunner range.

Did some looking because I couldn't remember. Found the variant.

quote:

Fw 190 A-5/U12 — A special U12 was created for bomber attack, outfitted with the standard 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 and 20 mm MG 151 but replacing the outer wing 20 mm MG-FF cannon with two underwing gun pods containing two 20 mm MG 151/20 each, for a total of two machine guns and six cannon.

I didn't realize that they remove the outboard 20mm to put the pods on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

shalafi4 posted:

Did some looking because I couldn't remember. Found the variant.

I didn't realize that they remove the outboard 20mm to put the pods on.

Hmmm, I didn't recall them using twin-cannon gunpods on the Fw-190s. I imagine they took off the outboard ones due to the wing loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wait they tried to scuttle the Hornet via friendlies shooting it up? It didn't have a more purposeful method of scuttling available (say, propping open all the bulkheads and opening up the seacocks/setting off some demolition charges)?