Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

did I screw up a mission ? doing the one where I'm supposed to get dual wield assault rifles as a reward, did the objedtive then explored a bit and died. went back to town and there's no way to talk to the quest giver, the mission shows as complete but I didnt get anything.

also I'm refusing to patch and using a the autoreload combined with making every gun into a single shot/super fast firing clip. it's hilarious

Check your inventory, it may have just given you the reward directly. I think there's at least one quest that does that.

Also, instead of selecting weapons, can I just have a button that fires everything at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm envisioning a fun gimmick mode where you never reload or switch weapons (except for maybe fast-swapping to the katana), but once you empty a magazine the game automatically equips a random gun from your inventory.

Gun game would be fantastic for SW2.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

did I screw up a mission ? doing the one where I'm supposed to get dual wield assault rifles as a reward, did the objedtive then explored a bit and died. went back to town and there's no way to talk to the quest giver, the mission shows as complete but I didnt get anything.
Check if it's in your inventory, several of the last batch of side missions just autocomplete as soon as you finish the objective. The thing you're looking for is an Amulet gem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you're right, crisis averted. thanks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Might be obvious but I noticed chests with weapons in them look different.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

thejacob posted:

Ah, auras would explain it.
Pretty lovely imho for a game that is at least 75% about cutting poo poo up, but you can't have it all I guess. At least I have crit chance+ shoguns to prevent fire spiders from crawling up my rear end.

Fixed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The weapons are extremely fun to use but I agree with the posts earlier that the shotgun implementation is weird. I hit a lot of stuff that's barely on the screen, and accuracy stat doesn't really even seem to matter. You can glide around enemies and just click away and you'll hit things nowhere near the crosshair for full damage as if you hit them with every pellet.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

The greatest crime of the game is that this is not a useable weapon.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Spermanent Record posted:

That's not even slIghtly true. I still have some level 40 blue gems that do more damage and crit stuff can outdamage pretty much any other stuff even if it's not at the top of the page.

I don't want to spend time min maxing, which is why I said, let me sort gems by dps.

I end up just mashing down arrow when I am placing gems and watching the numbers go up and down, and try to remember roughly where the biggest jumps happened once I hit the bottom of the list.

I agree though, I have a blue 50 electric gem that is far better than every orange elemental gem I have for sheer dps. Most of my oranges are 60-80.

I also am not really feeling much love from the crafting. I put in a bunch of lovely high level oranges hoping to get something out of it, and instead I just get another flat damage reduction. I constantly have far worse penalties than I do benefits in my oranges. It's annoying as hell and is making me just stop bothering with crafting given the price increase.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deakul posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Its not actually that crazy an opinion. Doom shotguns worked pretty much perfectly. SW2's shotguns work nothing like doom's shotguns, instead using the dumb payday model.

They're not slugs and they don't work like proper shotguns either. It fires a spread and anything that gets hit with 1 pellet takes full damage. Hitting multiple pellets does no additional damage.

You're actually best off shooting between enemies and trying to hit all of them with spread rather than trying to actually aim at a single enemy and pump them full of bullets.

Doom's SSG was great for being able to hit multiple enemies at once, but if a single pellet did full damage it wouldn't feel nearly as responsive or fun to shoot. Its pointlessly simplistic.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not actually that crazy an opinion. Doom shotguns worked pretty much perfectly. SW2's shotguns work nothing like doom's shotguns, instead using the dumb payday model.

They're not slugs and they don't work like proper shotguns either. It fires a spread and anything that gets hit with 1 pellet takes full damage. Hitting multiple pellets does no additional damage.

You're actually best off shooting between enemies and trying to hit all of them with spread rather than trying to actually aim at a single enemy and pump them full of bullets.

Doom's SSG was great for being able to hit multiple enemies at once, but if a single pellet did full damage it wouldn't feel nearly as responsive or fun to shoot. Its pointlessly simplistic.

I love that it's not a realistic game at all. Please understand.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doom isn't realistic either, but both the regular and super shotguns definitely feel more fun there.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Just finished. Game great, story terrible. I did like the hints of "it's humanity that's corrupted the demons" though.

What exactly happens at the end of Flirty Fishing 1? Where does Gozu go? Why are the twins in the Wang Cave? Wha? Huh?

I'd assumed in the ending the dragon was Kamiko (Xing says "That's my girl!" or something) and she eats Mezu.

Thanks to whoever suggested just ignoring the grey gems, and I eventually settled on a "Classic FPS" weapon setup (melee, pistol, SMG, shotgun, mix-n-match exotics/explosives to taste). Normal is way too easy, I only died once apart from falling off the map.

It great fun and everything, but really feels like it needed one more pass to tighten everything up a bit.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Two Owls posted:

Why are the twins in the Wang Cave? Wha? Huh?

This, at least, I could understand with a bit of reading between the lines (and the chats between Wang and Kamiko): In addition to their cybernetic patch-jobs after Wang blew them to poo poo in Chapter 10 of the first game, Kyoko and Kagami have been hitting the Shade HARD. They're strung out and jonesing pretty badly, and in their withdrawal-addled state, they see an opportunity to get their fix AND their revenge at the same time. Of course they're crazy junkies and their plan is dumb as balls, and Wang sees through it straight away, but even so he can't resist the temptation of NEW CAR. When he gets close they detonate a bomb they'd planted and attack in mechs, but he destroys the mechs. Then they reveal that the mechs were remotely-operated and while he was fighting them, the twins stole all the drugs. Then Kamiko reveals that she poisoned the Shade batch in revenge for the twins injecting her at the beginning of the game. The twins will feel like death for the next few weeks. Wang never gets his car. No moral. The End!

quote:

It great fun and everything, but really feels like it needed one more pass to tighten everything up a bit.

This is true, but having played Hard Reset I must also say this could have been much worse in terms of being unfinished.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

This, at least, I could understand with a bit of reading between the lines (and the chats between Wang and Kamiko):
They were working for Zilla the last time they were seen before that in SW2, then suddenly they show up in the Wang Cave claiming to be working for Mezu. It really feels like there was a transition somewhere in there that's missing.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I am now 33 hours into the game. Still haven't beaten it (due to multiple simultaneous playthroughs), but IMO, the worst aspect is definitely how stilted the dialogue is. It's like Wang and whoever he's talking to are standing opposite each other reading a list of insults from a piece of paper until they decide to get to the point. Only the interactions with Kamiko feel somewhat natural.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The sisters show up near the end of the first game to grab Zilla and are fine, so either they've got some crazy fashion going on or Zilla did indeed pull a Jensen on them and augment them out the wazoo.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So... that ending... is there a more detailed one on Insane or Hard difficulty vs. Normal?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Malek posted:

So... that ending... is there a more detailed one on Insane or Hard difficulty vs. Normal?

Nope

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gently caress it!
I was typing up a massive rant post about the upgrade system but everyone already knows about it.

I'm just gonna say that it really is the gameplay's biggest flaw and I wish that they would've stuck with SW1 upgrade system instead because it made all the weapons feel like weapons and not just gem'ed up dps dispensers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"Your weapons are atrocious garbage for multiple campaign levels at a time until you can pick up enough money to make them very slightly less poo poo, up to three times (PS: a lot of the options are trap options)" is infinitely worse than the gem system.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

"Your weapons are atrocious garbage for multiple campaign levels at a time until you can pick up enough money to make them very slightly less poo poo, up to three times (PS: a lot of the options are trap options)" is infinitely worse than the gem system.

Implying that SW2's weapons aren't garbage until you've done the spreadsheets.

SW2's upgrade system is literally cancer on so many of the modern action games. Just seeing all those "+5% to hairiness of the left bollock" bonuses in a supposedly skill-based game makes me want to puke my guts out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

They're all fine and fun to use on normal, even without gems at all, up until the last few levels, which is the baseline for this game.

Either way, they're a million times better than SW1's.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

They aren't though? They're fun to look at and shoot right out the box unless you're playing on some hardass difficulty while trying to ignore the upgrades. Which, frankly, you can just no-brain and build for crits.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you really, absolutely don't need to bring out spreadsheets and try to squeeze every single % out of a weapon to do well. i don't know why some people think that's a thing. the gem system could use some paring down but it's vastly better than sw1's system of handling things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The fact that there aren't any sequences that fill the sky with annoying, hard to kill enemies means that FWG has learned enormously from SW1 and Hard Reset.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

you really, absolutely don't need to bring out spreadsheets and try to squeeze every single % out of a weapon to do well. i don't know why some people think that's a thing. the gem system could use some paring down but it's vastly better than sw1's system of handling things.

I think you could find a happy medium by bringing the upgrade system in line with the skill system and the weapons themselves - fewer total upgrades, received at a steady drip from shopping, boss monsters, and story progression, levelled with cash and MAYBE upgrade materials, focusing on the cool features like turrets or dual-wielding or ammo tweaks (piercing/scattershot/explosive etc) over grindy +number% poo poo. I could also see an Arcade Mode that dispenses with upgrades altogether and gives you every core ability from the outset, and progression is just a matter of getting good enough to handle the crazier late-game battles.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah, I would be completely happy doing away with everything but the creative one-off upgrades (dual-wield, explosive ammo, sticky grenades, multi-barrel, turret mode, etc.)

I'm totally fine with the amount of weapons though. Even if a bow, a compound bow, and a plasma bow are functionally the same thing it's nice to have something different to look at filling up a quarter of your screen. :shrug:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm totally fine with the amount of weapons though. Even if a bow, a compound bow, and a plasma bow are functionally the same thing it's nice to have something different to look at filling up a quarter of your screen. :shrug:

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. The weapon selection is just about right for the amount of differentiation I'd like to see. Those three weapons you mentioned are similar in general functionality, but all have different stat lines and special features that feel distinct in gameplay. The Yumi is a little gimmicky with its proc, but the Bullseye & Barton rewards rapid fire to keep up your Critical streak, while ZI-R0B1N is more of a patient, sniping weapon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

SW2's upgrade system is literally cancer on so many of the modern action games. Just seeing all those "+5% to hairiness of the left bollock" bonuses in a supposedly skill-based game makes me want to puke my guts out.

What the gently caress?

Stop playing on the hardest difficulty and then complaining its hard, goons. That's ridiculous. Lower the loving difficulty if its too hard for you. Your honor will survive.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Finally beat it. Cool final bosses. Ending was alright - I assume the dragon is Kamiko and she's just messing with Wang and pretending to attack him. Or it isn't, and we'll hear how he ended up killing it in Shadow Warrior 3. I'd be fine with either, tbh, I wasn't particularly invested in the story, but it served its purpose. The gameplay made up for it.

Now to get to level 50.

e: Welp, that's done. I'm close to 100%ing this game but

1. I have no idea what weakspot kills are, I presume headshots? Only made 10 of them in any case
2. Ffffuuuck hunting for 50 secrets. A few thousand coins per secret are just not worth the trouble, especially with the samey level layouts. At least Doom's secrets had upgrade points or interesting lore.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

New patch in the pipe.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/333656722983201079/

- Increased cap for experience gained on all difficulties
- Added a significant bonus for experience gained on difficulties higher than normal
- Slightly decreased large and special enemies' HP on difficulties higher than normal
- Added negative stats cap for high level upgrades
- The number of auras for a single enemy is capped to 1 on difficulties below 'Insane tier 2'
- Base physical resist lowered. This change affects all difficulty levels
- After finishing missions for the second time, instead of Skill Points the player now receives a powerful new currency called 'Orbs of Masamune'. The number of Orbs depends on the difficulty level. A new set of violent challenges will be added to the game soon. Players finishing these challenges will be able to imbue Smith's Anvil with power to greatly improve weapon stats. Orbs of Masamune will play crucial role in this proccess.
- Crafting option is now available always after a player unlocks it in the first playthrough
- Items in shops unlocked by story progress are now available always after a player unlocks them on the first playthrough

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

You definitely aren't wrong about shotguns gem'd up to one shot things, because those are awesome.

I have to say of all the enemies that would regularly eat my lunch on insane, spiders were pretty much dead last on the list, auras or no.
Now those loving serpentaur, those guys got priority for shadow fury murder fun time. Tumors and mist were also reliably miserable fights.

After finishing the game I feel like I got my moneys worth, abysmal weapon upgrade gem category aside, and looking forward to going full revengance on demons again once my friends pick the game up in a sale down the road.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Just finished it. Gameplay was miles ahead of the first game, but the storyline was quite disjointed. The character motivations make sense but it really needed some time spent explaining what happened to the world between this and the first game, alongside putting more focus on the change in certain character's personalities instead of a couple throwaway lines. This could've been fixed by having those stylized comic cutscenes the first game had. The ending was just plain bad though, and the entire final act felt really rushed with Zilla himself being barely a factor in the plot until the final 20 minutes of the game, which is strange considering the release trailer. The twins appearing out of nowhere, and the final mission just being one area with Ameonna abruptly merging with Kamiko's body. And what happened to Gozu? He vanishes from the plot completely.. It wouldn't surprise me if it got DLC down the line like Hard Reset did before its console release.

It's a shame the flying enemies from the first game are gone, though. They would've fit in well with the increased verticality and improved combat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Magnus Condomus posted:

- Added negative stats cap for high level upgrades

I'm wondering if this means that the stats on the upgrades themselves are capped, or the effects that negative upgrades can have on you is capped. If it's the latter, I'm actually a bit disappointed, because I really enjoyed making my Hauer fire 90 degrees out of the barrel in either direction by stacking - Miss Rate gems on it. :v:

Magnus Condomus posted:

- After finishing missions for the second time, instead of Skill Points the player now receives a powerful new currency called 'Orbs of Masamune'. The number of Orbs depends on the difficulty level. A new set of violent challenges will be added to the game soon. Players finishing these challenges will be able to imbue Smith's Anvil with power to greatly improve weapon stats. Orbs of Masamune will play crucial role in this proccess.

This sounds pretty cool! :)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Weapon spread increase is actually a good thing for shotguns since they're basically a cone of damage.

Also I think the problem with automatic weapons is that they've balanced around the "paper" DPS instead of their effective DPS -- you can't hit with them most of the time and they're too inaccurate to make critical hits with, so you end up getting 30% of the advertised damage. Whereas with every other weapon type, there's something to mitigate it like explosive rounds and damage waves. I think there should be significant per-round damage increase for SMGs/rifles/gatling guns, or they should be way more accurate than they currently are.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Magnus Condomus posted:

New patch in the pipe.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/333656722983201079/

They really like developing more content for this game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

:allbuttons: Umm, no. You certainly do not need to do this in any game now or ever.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Autism.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I can't get soon enough at home tonight to try to craft a +99% crit chance +999% crit damage gem for my shotgun :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Out of all the weapons the smgs and assault rifles are the only ones that I'd consider somewhat weak. You definitely don't need spreadsheets and hyper optimized load outs to do well in the game. I usually spend a few minutes between mission doing half assed gemming and the weapons have been fine so far.

• Locked thread