Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why are all the three Sisters of the Sable Church such douches? I mean, we don't know anything about the last sister, but judging from her kin, she's probably also a massive rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Why are all the three Sisters of the Sable Church such douches? I mean, we don't know anything about the last sister, but judging from her kin, she's probably also a massive rear end in a top hat.

If it follows the pattern of the children of Manus then the last one's probably surprisingly nice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one sister/painter lady early on relates to "black flame" so I assumed she was another Manus baby until I walked five more feet, honestly.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 25, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Gologle posted:

Yuria is nice if you follow her crazy religion. :colbert:
Name any other NPC who will let you kill them without resisting at all. Yuria pretty much lets you kill her after the dark ending.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Iretep posted:

Name any other NPC who will let you kill them without resisting at all. Yuria pretty much lets you kill her after the dark ending.

Sirris.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Karla doesn't resist either, which is kind of a bummer. I wanted to have a cool magic duel.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Iretep posted:

Pinwheel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna stream my first run through the DLC in a sec.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotusgramarye

e: Or not. Getting mad dropped frames. Will stream when I manage to sort this poo poo out.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 25, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
What does the message at the beginning of the DLC mean? Is it just saying that it's going to be difficult and I should probably beat the game before trying it out, or is there an important item in Lothric Castle somewhere that I'll need at some point?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you dont need anything from lothric. what its saying is that use above +6 weapons here.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
re: the vikings - they're totally staggerable. I just poke them with the 2H R2 on the fume sword and it knocks them out of their attacks. Then again that's one of, if not the, heaviest weapons in the game so I don't know what else can stagger them. Morne's hammer, probably

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The giant wolf boss is so loving unfun to fight with short weapons, it basically never stops moving and every time you're in range to actually hit it it runs away or does its stupid triple dash attack thing that is completely impossible to follow because camera. I must have accidentally pretty much beelined straight towards this thing by mistake because I've only been playing the DLC for about an hour (pretty cautiously, and I've died on this boss a lot) and haven't found any new stuff other than two spells, I want to try the cool new weapons :saddowns:

Also even though the sword + shield guardian guy is extremely easy to beat some of the moves on that weapon feel like complete bullshit.

E: Can you use both of the crow weapons at the same time and choose which moveset you're using by 2handing one rather than the other? Because that would be rediculously cool and I am gonna do it even if it's impractical as gently caress.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 25, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

My dude is gone. :(

I was so sure I still had him someplace but DS doesn't save to the cloud and I can't find the game's original appdata folder, only one freshly created. :rip: I guess. gently caress. Guess I start a new duder? Maybe I'll go make dex one next. Still sort of bummed I can't hop in immediately buuuut I still had to go place my second playthrough anyway.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Undead settlement is the best area in any souls game

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okay, now I'm going to stream my first run through the DLC.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotusgramarye

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol gently caress that church with the two arsehole ninja crows in, all for a spell I'm never going to use.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Went with a 41 lvl char.... maybe I'll come back later

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Man, having a job sucks. I only got a short while to play last night and went heavy on the exploration, and spoilers abound everywhere.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

mastershakeman posted:

re: the vikings - they're totally staggerable. I just poke them with the 2H R2 on the fume sword and it knocks them out of their attacks. Then again that's one of, if not the, heaviest weapons in the game so I don't know what else can stagger them. Morne's hammer, probably

Claymour 2h does, I can stagger pretty much everything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

Undead settlement is the best area in any souls game

Its real real good but souls games have so many amazing memorable levels, I dunno if I can call it the best. Maybe best for DS3. But then there's Anor Londo part deux, and cathedral of the deep I really liked too.

Bloodborne's forbidden forest was amazing, and I really like Nightmare Frontier too. Hell, I even loved Nightmare of Mensis.

DS1 has blighttown, anor londo, sen's fortress,

DeS has Tower of Latria, Valley of Defilement,

DS2 has Shulva, Brume Tower, and Frozen Eleum Lloyce.

Just so hard to compare.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Aight, not gonna spoil much with this pic but FROM sure needs to get someone better at scripting or at least trying to hide enemies for ambushes (spoiling just in case):

Oh, if any of you have issues staggering the huge skyrim dudes, think about Iron Keep 2.0. Bring a strike weapon and you can stagger them even with a normal mace if you 2-hand it.

Did they patch the Executioner's Greatsword? It swings faster, it has a B on STR scaling now and you can buff it. My very first character had it and aside from hitting armored dudes, it was bland and now it destroys everything and staggers all enemies (plus I can use fire/lightning buffs).

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 25, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol gently caress that church with the two arsehole ninja crows in, all for a spell I'm never going to use.

Oh, is that what that item is? Thanks for the heads up that I can safely skip it. I was just gonna do a dash and grab, but I had already forgotten about the place, anyway.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zaphod42 posted:

Its real real good but souls games have so many amazing memorable levels, I dunno if I can call it the best. Maybe best for DS3. But then there's Anor Londo part deux, and cathedral of the deep I really liked too.
DS1 has blighttown, anor londo, sen's fortress,
Just so hard to compare.

:confused:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
You'll find an axe in a tower. Do not test it's weapon skill on top of the tower :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Blighttown is good... on PC, where it runs at more than 15fps

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

enojy posted:

Oh, is that what that item is? Thanks for the heads up that I can safely skip it. I was just gonna do a dash and grab, but I had already forgotten about the place, anyway.

You can just snipe them to death through the windows, if you prefer.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Guillermus posted:

Did they patch the Executioner's Greatsword? It swings faster, it has a B on STR scaling now and you can buff it. My very first character had it and aside from hitting armored dudes, it was bland and now it destroys everything and staggers all enemies (plus I can use fire/lightning buffs).

i can't speak to EGS being faster or whatever, but you could always buff it. my main dude that I created at release used that thing extensively for low level invading when the game was new, and carthus flame arc has always worked with it. you couldn't infuse it before; did they change that now?

memorable doesn't necessarily mean it was a good memory.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

You'll find an axe in a tower. Do not test it's weapon skill on top of the tower :(

I did, but I fell down to the floor below and I had silvercat on. :haw:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The vertical part is cool but the whole level is pretty ugly with respawning mosquitoes and no interesting enemies, on a whole I think I like Shulva the best

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

You consider yourself a souls fan and you don't like blighttown? :confused:

ZZZorcerer posted:

The vertical part is cool but the whole level is pretty ugly with respawning mosquitoes and no interesting enemies, on a whole I think I like Shulva the best

Different strokes for different folks. But there's few areas in souls games that capture the "bark is worse than its bite" as well as blighttown. That area is downright terrifying, and then you beat it and... its not actually all that bad? Really gives you confidence and makes you feel like a badass for your triumph over what seemed insurmountable, which is core to souls.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i can't speak to EGS being faster or whatever, but you could always buff it. my main dude that I created at release used that thing extensively for low level invading when the game was new, and carthus flame arc has always worked with it. you couldn't infuse it before; did they change that now?

GS got buffed in general, I think the 1h moveset got sped up more than the 2h, which is pretty cool because it makes GS into a great middle ground weapon; the 1h attacks are faster and sweeping, longer than straight sword attacks, but you don't get any poise while 1handing, and then when you 2hand it you're a lot slower but can poise through attacks.

With the new hyper armour changes as well favouring GS a lot I am a little disappointed that there's only one new GS in the DLC and it's for pyromancers, though OTOH that one particular weapon looks extremely cool and I am looking forward to using it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zaphod42 posted:

Different strokes for different folks. But there's few areas in souls games that capture the "bark is worse than its bite" as well as blighttown. That area is downright terrifying, and then you beat it and... its not actually all that bad? Really gives you confidence and makes you feel like a badass for your triumph over what seemed insurmountable, which is core to souls.

the only thing even a little terrifying about blight town was the loving snipers that dealt toxic damage, and once I realized they didn't respawn, it was just an extra death or two to root them all out and then explore the zone at my leisure.

POISON CITY the zone was not that exciting. it was slightly more bearable when they did the same shtick but backwards with harvest vally & earthen peak; at least the poison was just a gas and you didn't have to gently caress around with slow walking thru sludge.

actually I think I hate the slow movement part of World 5, Blight Town, Shrine of Amana, and Farron's Swamp more than anything else. poison damage is rarely more than a nuisance, but only DS1 included a way to actually mitigate the slowed movement (with the rusted iron ring).

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Most of the weapon guides I'm seeing online seem to be from around the time of launch. Apparently the dark sword got nerfed and is no longer the murder stick it used to be, are the Fume UGS and Yhorm's Machete the go-to strength weapons these days?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Freaking Crumbum posted:

but only DS1 included a way to actually mitigate the slowed movement (with the rusted iron ring).

the quickstep weapon arts make the swap areas a joke in 3

but the best area is undead settlement, looking at all factors overall. it's huge, has your giant friend, siegward, a great boss fight, an insanely hard miniboss, different sub areas, non-linear, good pvp, tons of good hidden stuff, etc etc.

my *favourite* area is probably sen's or cathedral of the deep (if you include the outside)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the only thing even a little terrifying about blight town was the loving snipers that dealt toxic damage, and once I realized they didn't respawn, it was just an extra death or two to root them all out and then explore the zone at my leisure.

POISON CITY the zone was not that exciting. it was slightly more bearable when they did the same shtick but backwards with harvest vally & earthen peak; at least the poison was just a gas and you didn't have to gently caress around with slow walking thru sludge.

actually I think I hate the slow movement part of World 5, Blight Town, Shrine of Amana, and Farron's Swamp more than anything else. poison damage is rarely more than a nuisance, but only DS1 included a way to actually mitigate the slowed movement (with the rusted iron ring).

Rolling constantly works really well.

Also Farron's Swamp has a path you can take to explore pretty much the entire zone without ever having to slow-walk. You only have to slow-walk if you want a few side treasures or if you go through it backwards. But even then, you can roll through it pretty easy.

And the swamp part of Blighttown was really, really short as far as getting to Quelaag after the bonfire. The rest is entirely optional, you never ever have to do it. And again, if you really want to do it, rolling is really easy. Rusted iron ring is a cool option but is only available so late in the game there's not much point, just roll right through that swamp.

Agree to disagree I guess :shrug:

The Walrus posted:

the quickstep weapon arts make the swap areas a joke in 3

Or yeah, this works even better in 3. Dagger dash through the whole thing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just to confirm, did I miss something obvious, or are there only two bosses in the DLC?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a rafter you can jump onto from the window to the left of the first window you arrive at that lets you land right on top of the item in front of the sleeping assassin, which makes it a bit easier. I've still never killed both those guys though, I've either ran or let them corpse me.

Easily the most intimidating enemies in the series thus far. Jesus.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Most of the weapon guides I'm seeing online seem to be from around the time of launch. Apparently the dark sword got nerfed and is no longer the murder stick it used to be, are the Fume UGS and Yhorm's Machete the go-to strength weapons these days?

Yhorm's is good though it's worth knowing that its R1, R1 doesn't true combo. I've never really done a pure strength build other than playing around with respecs for a little but so I don't know about anything else.

Re: DLC, I've been loving around in some ruins full of rear end in a top hat vikings, is there some area past this one because I am rapidly losing the will to live.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

TaurusOxford posted:

Just to confirm, did I miss something obvious, or are there only two bosses in the DLC?

Pretty sure, yeah. I don't know where the others would be.

Anyone else having trouble with the arena matches? I've only played maybe 20 rounds of the co-op matches and at least 5 times the teams have been uneven (i.e. 2vs1, 3vs2). Also connection errors for days

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Fume UGS got nerfed a while ago and never got buffed again as far as I know. Yhorm's machete is ridiculously powerful. (e: if you can get hits in. its apparently a good off-hand in PvP)

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Yhorm's is good though it's worth knowing that its R1, R1 doesn't true combo. I've never really done a pure strength build other than playing around with respecs for a little but so I don't know about anything else.

Re: DLC, I've been loving around in some ruins full of rear end in a top hat vikings, is there some area past this one because I am rapidly losing the will to live.

lol

It's an extremely brutal detour that basically routes you back to the same area you could have reached by just heading north from the spot you landed in the avalanche. Albeit with some primo loot. Definitely hit up the tower.