Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

Converge - Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.

That's sunburst, call it sunburst :argh:

Seems like a neat card though, you can cast Progenitus turn 5 off of it with no other ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I mean you can't just take a normal-sized land and stretch it to full-art, the dimensions are completely different

It's time to make them landscapes.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
New Guay art :frogsiren:

That we can't get in foil :froggonk:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

Basic Lands

a) cool art on some of these, I like the Planet of the Apes Plains
b) I didn't realize Rebecca Guay was still allowed to make Magic art

E;fb

There's nothing preventing it, its that her fee is exorbitant compared to everyone else's.

This might be submitted and unused art.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

There's nothing preventing it, its that her fee is exorbitant compared to everyone else's.

This might be submitted and unused art.

Price may be a factor but in an interview last year (I'm on mobile atm, I'll try to find it later) she explicitly states that her style was not appreciated by the (then?) current art directors, and made it sound very much like she was pushed out.

I've never seen an actual source for her leaving because she was asking for too much.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 25, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Price may be a factor but in an interview last year (I'm on mobile atm, I'll try to find it later) she explicitly states that her style was not appreciated by the (then?) current art directors, and made it sound very much like she was pushed out.

I've never seen an actual source for her leaving because she was asking for too much.

I know I've read that it was a price issue before from someone in WOTC. I don't really remember where.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don't know who Rebecca Guay is but those lands are dope and I could see why her doing them again is a big deal to folks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's the quote

quote:

"I'm all about a certain aesthetic with paint," she said. "I had no issues with them going to digital art. Once Hasbro took over Wizards of the Coast, they wanted a more masculine look and a sleeker, almost futuristic look to the game.

"They decided to stop using some artists. I was one of the artists that they decided to phase out. That's always going to happen with freelance artists, though. You get dropped over company things."

When Guay was phased out as an artist, fans came forward and the outcry was pretty loud, Guay said.

"People were told that I was too gentle and feminine while they were looking for something more masculine. The Internet didn't like that. The backlash was flattering, but it was also kind of overwhelming. The fan support was sweet. My work isn't right for Magic any more, though.

"There are things that I want to say as an artist that I can't say in Magic because they want a specific character or topic. It's product illustration now. There's not a thing wrong with that, though. You just have to do things a certain way and I wanted some more room to play with."

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13233&writer=Cody+Neff&articledate=4-22-2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

hot drat all those lands are good! i'm loving the hell out of poole's swamp

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh, boy. Rebecca Guay circlejerk time.

Spoiler: Mark Poole's lands are better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dunno why you need all that armor for a nice trip to the beach.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

commander 2016, featuring vial smashers who can't smash vials and squires that aren't 1/2s

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

roughhousing is best when its deadly, duh

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Look at that dinky little sword. It's funny to me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I havent seen goatman posted here yet

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I hope that means angel demon dragon lady gets a reprint

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The person that plays this will get all the removal aimed squarely at their poo poo and they deserve it

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The art, the flavor, the gameplay; I love this card so much.

I'm sticking this right into my Queen Marchesa politics deck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
reminder that this is a sig banner someone made.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is hilarious

the sexual Shiite posted:

reminder that this is a sig banner someone made.

this is weird

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This is so dumb and I love it. Would've been right at home in my old Grixis steal poo poo deck if I still had it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how you can also choose yourself.

Edit: So if I Mindslaver the guy with this in hand and have the other two people control each other's turns, who do they aim their removal at? Me, the guy who made him cast Cruel Entertainment targeting them, or the guy I mindslavered, the man running Cruel Entertainment in the first place?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 25, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This is going to be great in my Chronatog Totem Stasis deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

someone give me an estimate for percentage of people with European ancestry who are descended from Charlemagne, because I bet it's pretty drat high

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Elyv posted:

someone give me an estimate for percentage of people with European ancestry who are descended from Charlemagne, because I bet it's pretty drat high

Literally 100%

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Count Bleck posted:

Now just reprint Beacon of Tomorrows.

And beacon of destruction. :twisted:

Arc Slogging my deck away and doming for 5 every turn was how I moneyed at a Mirrodin Block GP.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

b) I didn't realize Rebecca Guay was still allowed to make Magic art

She's too busy enjoying a career as a gallery artist. She probably sells paintings for more than what Wizards paid her to do all five of those illustrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's sunburst, call it sunburst :argh:

Seems like a neat card though, you can cast Progenitus turn 5 off of it with no other ramp.

They don't like Sunburst because it works differently on Creatures and Non-Creatures.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Toshimo posted:

Oh, boy. Rebecca Guay circlejerk time.

Spoiler: Mark Poole's lands are better.

it's freezing out and this hot take is just what i needed, thanks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want a whole set of just Rebecca Guay drawing weird-rear end plant Kami things.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I want a whole set of just Rebecca Guay drawing weird-rear end plant Kami things.

I want the "plant Spirits that vomit more plants" block already.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Sure. Why not.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of cool art

https://twitter.com/commandcast/status/790951197251399680

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Sure. Why not.

Well this is disgusting for Commander.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Sure. Why not.

5 mana: ultimate a planeswalker

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Soul Glo posted:

Well this is disgusting for Commander.

Panharmonicon says hi

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Sure. Why not.
When ~ enters the battlefield, everyone groans as you look for more dice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

They don't like Sunburst because it works differently on Creatures and Non-Creatures.
Adn Converge is more flexible eg because it works with instants/sorcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

YES! THANK YOU!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Sure. Why not.

NO. gently caress YOU.

Edit: I guess I should just be happy it doesn't also say "and players".

• Locked thread