Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is a fair point that the AI has no idea how to use the new mechanic but they didn't use the old one either so it's a wash on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The ai doesn't seem to even acknowledge the mechanic because I'm doing a game as musica and my neighbors to the south are still primitive and somehow are ahead of me in military tech by one level.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If I had to pick only one thing to say about Institutions, it would surely be that it's entirely superior to the old westernization system.

Poil posted:

Yeah, if Ming sends a formal declaration of war to the steppe hordes they easily grab every last soldier they have and march them all across the Gobi desert with no problems whatsoever and siege down the nomad towns and forts during any season.

It is a bit silly that a 1500th century kingdom can fairly effortlessly project force around their region in a way that makes the modern US army green with envy. And that's not even going into the "late" game when you can ship several tens of thousands of men, horses and cannon to siege down and snatch Rome like a piece of cake all the way from freaking Thailand.

Seriously. Armies would loving disintegrate in a single year of campaigning in the middle of Germany.

Meanwhile in EU4 you commit 100% of your forces to every war, and there's 300,000 men marching back and forth across the HRE in 1600.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 25, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

My feeling is that the process of reversing history and getting/staying technologically on par with the Europeans, as a non-European, should be hard. It should feel like an accomplishment - otherwise, what's the difference between playing as a european nation and a non-european other than your colour on the map?

Old 'westernization' certainly wasn't historical, but it accomplished the goal of being a difficult, draining process. I actually haven't played with the new expansion yet (:sweatdrop:), but it sounds like it's just dumping a bunch of development into one province and then paying a bunch of cash. A tax on non-Europeans, but not a threat in the way that westernization events & revolt risk could be. That's not very exciting to me, and of course it doesn't seem exceptionally historical either.

I'd love to be wrong on this. Someone tell me why/how institutions are more exciting than the old westernization process - is there more fun to be had with it than "mash the develop button as Korea and steal all the institutions before Europe gets them"?

Institutions definitely go deeper than that; it's an optimization problem where you're trying to minimize points spent on development, maximize the other benefits from that development (aka don't develop a Grains province owned by an estate), maximize the number of neighboring provinces that you own next to the developed province, and maximize the distance between the developing province and any potential rivals so that they won't receive the benefits. You typically won't be able to afford to seed the institution all at once, so it's a monarch point expense that you need to manage against your other expenses (coring, integrating, teching, etc). And then once the province is seeded you need to decide how soon that you want to embrace the institution, which is going to depend on how much money you can afford to spend and how soon that you want to buy tech levels.

Westernization was a button that you pressed when you were ready to sit around for a bunch of years with high unrest. It's a thing that you did once and never had to think about again, and only non-Europeans had to do it. Even Europeans have to deal with the problems and challenges posed by institutions, they just have a number of advantages.

I like the new system, it is good

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I like the new system, it is good

:same:

It will probably need a few tweaks but it's great overall.

This is a very good patch and DLC, makes up for the (imo) weak Mare Nostrum.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Plus it isn't as explicitly racist as the old system :toot:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The only institution that's guaranteed to start in Europe is the Renaissance, right? I know I won't get the Printing Press to spawn here because I'm not going Protestant or Reformed but I could get the others to spawn outside Europe, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Correct, and that's the main reason I like the institution system so much. It's not necessarily westernization anymore, because it's entirely possible for, say, Japan to get all post-Renaissance institutions, forcing the westerners to easternize.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
After France inherited Castile (with all of Iberian Aragon) in 1570, it was a mad rush for me to pump up trade value as much as possible in Beijing to try and out compete the Genoan node to get the Global Trade institution. Came down to 0.XX value.

Was so satisfying to get it when the clock turned over. They had been switching back and forth for the last few months, for who had the most value.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poil posted:

Yeah, if Ming sends a formal declaration of war to the steppe hordes they easily grab every last soldier they have and march them all across the Gobi desert with no problems whatsoever and siege down the nomad towns and forts during any season.

It is a bit silly that a 1500th century kingdom can fairly effortlessly project force around their region in a way that makes the modern US army green with envy. And that's not even going into the "late" game when you can ship several tens of thousands of men, horses and cannon to siege down and snatch Rome like a piece of cake all the way from freaking Thailand.

I don't remember when I last checked the time of the year, except when avoiding tech penalties. Trying to fight during Winter should come with crippling penalties, if you're having a war anywhere temperate or colder.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So, does tech group change anything than what units you can recruit?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dali Parton posted:

Still having vanishing saves. I go to the menu, save the game, then check Load to see if it's there...and nothing.

Then I'll press save again, keep the same name, and then the game will ask me if I want to overwrite the save (implying it's still there?) but it's not on the load screen.

Any ideas?
You're short on disk space.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Okay here’s my current Ethiopia ironman run:

how did you manage to colonise the cape? in my game castille took their first cape province in 1510, and I don't know how I can island hop all the way down there that fast.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

BBJoey posted:

how did you manage to colonise the cape? in my game castille took their first cape province in 1510, and I don't know how I can island hop all the way down there that fast.

Declare a super early no-cb war on someone down there to get both range and goldmines. Don't get rivalled by Ajuraan as you really want access through them to cut down on the amount of natives you have to go through.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BBJoey posted:

I was able to reach it from Mahe in the 1480s just from the colonisation range from level 7 diplo tech and the third exploration idea. I've also been really lucky this game because the Europeans haven't even started colonising the Ivory Coast and Armenia managed to snatch up Yerevan from the Ottomans who are doing so badly they haven't even finished off the Byzantines yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

You're short on disk space.

Wait, really? I installed this on a SSD, maybe ill reinstall it to the HDD where I have infinitely more disk space.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
new dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-25th-of-october-2016.977383/&sdpDevPosts=1

buncha changes to Norway and Denmark.

I hope they'll add province modifiers like that fish one to the rest of the world at some point. It seems kinda weird that Scandinavia gets 2 special modifiers while the rest of the world gets what, 4, over the entire thing? Admittedly I don't know the minute production capabilities of every region but I'd be somewhat surprised if the fish haul in that province was so far in excess of everywhere else that it deserves special attention where other places don't.

e: I do really like province modifiers though, they make nice places to plan conquests around. I just wish there'd be a more even spread of them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn it paradox. Stop trying to force me to look at the terrain map. It's ugly and 90% of the time doesn't even seem to match the province terrain anyway.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Larry Parrish posted:

Goddamn it paradox. Stop trying to force me to look at the terrain map. It's ugly and 90% of the time doesn't even seem to match the province terrain anyway.

How are they forcing you to look at it? There's Simple Terrain mode if you need to know where the mountains are.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

How are they forcing you to look at it? There's Simple Terrain mode if you need to know where the mountains are.

The new update will make wasteland/uncolonized areas show the terrain map if you're on political view.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

The new update will make wasteland/uncolonized areas show the terrain map if you're on political view.

That seems like kind of a step back after they made it so wastelands can be colored by conquering everything around them.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elman posted:

That seems like kind of a step back after they made it so wastelands can be colored by conquering everything around them.

I think it's only wastelands that wouldn't be colored. Regardless, I think I've found my new motivation for colonizing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I think it's only wastelands that wouldn't be colored. Regardless, I think I've found my new motivation for colonizing.

The map in the development diary has a snow covered mountain range in the middle of Norway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Isn't it just an option in the game settings now?

I think that mountain range looks rad.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Looking forward to the Denmark and Norway changes. Though I hope they don't try to give Denmark a unique government to simulate its take on elective monarchies.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

Colored wastelands? Yeah, the same dev diary has Norway in the margins with the mountains colored Norway colors.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
In my current Korea game Ming blew apart in the late 1460s. :stare:

That might very well be that, then.

To my annoyance, the True Ming kept the Korean border area, but that's okay, I can still target one of the coastal successor states through them and break the alliance later. :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

it's also named Jotenheimen, "the giants' home" as in the Jotuns of Norse sagas

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Please please please let the old political mapmode remain as an option. :ohdear:

quote:

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested,
Who the hell actually requested this? This is not an improvement of the political map, it's an improvement of the terrain map. It's a worse political map as it makes it harder to see properly at a glance. The point of the political map is that it's easy and quick to use. Uncolonized areas may look dull but it's very functional and good UI in my opinion. I don't actually hate the mapmode, but I do hate the thought of losing the one I like in favor of something I don't like. :(

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think it looks nice and i will use it

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fuligin posted:

I think it looks nice and i will use it

:agreed:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Pellisworth posted:

it's also named Jotenheimen, "the giants' home" as in the Jotuns of Norse sagas

Jotunheim is the home of the giants, Jotunheimen is the name of the southern Norwegian part of the Scandinavian mountains, as pictured.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dali Parton posted:

Wait, really? I installed this on a SSD, maybe ill reinstall it to the HDD where I have infinitely more disk space.
To be clear, this was 100% my experience of the problem. I had like a few megabytes left on my SSD and was trying to store new save files there. It's not about what you installed the game, but where you're keeping the save files (which are two different things).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Poil posted:

Please please please let the old political mapmode remain as an option. :ohdear:

Who the hell actually requested this? This is not an improvement of the political map, it's an improvement of the terrain map. It's a worse political map as it makes it harder to see properly at a glance. The point of the political map is that it's easy and quick to use. Uncolonized areas may look dull but it's very functional and good UI in my opinion. I don't actually hate the mapmode, but I do hate the thought of losing the one I like in favor of something I don't like. :(

I don't see how this is in any way detrimental as only unowned provinces will be coloured, unless you feel that you are likely to mistake terrain features as indicating ownership.

Koramei posted:

Why though? That's like people not wanting the AI to cheat and stuff. I'd much rather the game be fun to play than have an AI hampered by the same rules as the player that it won't be able to cope with, or alternatively, trying to powergame. This is what multiplayer is for.

e: while we're on it, the new traits system is amazing precisely because it makes the AI do all kinds of bullshit that is obviously not optimal, but that leads to a more dynamic and interesting world.

I want the AI to be as challenging as possible, the best way to do that is to make it play the game well. Unless the game changes significantly this will result in it doing a ton of ahistorical poo poo (just like I am doing! Wow!) which I am fine with; I appreciate that this is not a view shared by all, and it's not some objective definition of good AI or even good gameplay. I just get tired of the AI not being very competitive.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Jotunheim is the home of the giants, Jotunheimen is the name of the southern Norwegian part of the Scandinavian mountains, as pictured.

ah I was just assuming the -en suffix meant "the" as it does in modern Scandinavian languages

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't see how this is in any way detrimental as only unowned provinces will be coloured, unless you feel that you are likely to mistake terrain features as indicating ownership.

Personally I just never want to see the terrain map at any time

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Larry Parrish posted:

Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words—
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester—
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

:c00l::respek::c00l:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it is good to have the terrain map to flip to so that I can quickly find out what the lay of the land is around Dongola, Manglyshak, and other places with silly names that I have never been to and am unlikely ever to visit or learn much about. But I'd rather they spent their time working on pretty much any other feature. For example, if we're messing with mapmodes, why is the development mode so limited that it can't help me distinguish between a 30 and a 60 dev province?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
or a 3 dev and a 9 dev, which are very different things. The base tax map was garbage too to be fair, I dunno why they can't just have a one color gradient with like 20 different intervals or whatever.

I like the change to the political map a lot though, the only time I can see it actually being a pain is when you're colonizing, and that's not exactly something you need to be speed-clicking. Staring at flat greys for 1000 hours in this game hasn't done wonders for my sanity, I'm be happy to have it livened up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A development map that uses the R, G and B channels to separately indicate military, production and administrative development :2bong:

• Locked thread