Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

People were already complaining in-thread that you'd shoot somebody and they'd be back alive in a few days making that almost have no weight or meaning. If you shot somebody and then walked outside and saw their copy walking around or coming to take their place, it'd be even worse.

Its possible there are copies, but what with their ability to instantly re-task hosts to new duties, there's no point. Instead you just make everybody unique.

If you have copies say Bob-A and Bob-B, and Bob-A is tasked to run the poker game and he hasn't been shot, you're stuck wasting Bob-B in storage until Bob-A finally does get shot.

If you have Bob and Eric instead, if Bob gets shot and can be easily fixed, he's "dead" for a day, and then Bob goes back to playing poker. But if he's seriously damaged, they just put Eric in as the new poker dealer. Meanwhile if Bob is playing poker and they suddenly need a new host to play a cowboy part, they can take Eric without having to worry about Bob and Eric ever being in the same room at the same time, breaking the illusion.

Basically there's no need. Making each unique makes it easier to rotate them in and out, there's less waste and more efficiency. And considering hosts are probably pretty expensive, that's probably smart. Although the whole scheme is ludicrously wasteful either way.

Disneyland has multiple copies of the same character running around - they're just very careful about making sure they aren't in the same area of the park at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Gynecolojustice posted:

Yeah, that's fair, I just think he is a lot less badass now that we know he has to radio to Delos to activate special toys here and there

I don't think he has to radio them, the toys just automatically phone home for permission to go off once their fuse is activated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gynecolojustice posted:

Yeah, that's fair, I just think he is a lot less badass now that we know he has to radio to Delos to activate special toys here and there

Like I said before, I don't think he actually radio'd them. Maaaybe he did off-camera, but I think the way it works is you just light the fuse, and if they don't give you "permission" the explosive ends up being a "dud" all along.

Like, the guys in the town didn't radio for permission to start shooting dudes. They just did it, and then when permission was recinded the guns started jamming out of nowhere.

Solkanar512 posted:

Disneyland has multiple copies of the same character running around - they're just very careful about making sure they aren't in the same area of the park at the same time.

I'm aware, but this isn't disneyland. Disneyland also has like, what, ~10 characters total as costumes? While WestWorld has entire towns and generations of families running around. Apples and Oranges.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm aware, but this isn't disneyland. Disneyland also has like, what, ~10 characters total as costumes? While WestWorld has entire towns and generations of families running around. Apples and Oranges.

If I shot Mickey Mouse in Toontown and then saw him later in Frontierland I'd probably be pretty ticked off.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 25, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I took it more as the MiB is a famous person in the real world and doesn't want complete randos to be weird around him.

Thanks for putting the idea of Bill Murray visiting the park in my head.

Kazy posted:

I don't think he has to radio them, the toys just automatically phone home for permission to go off once their fuse is activated.

Yeah, it struck me as "Maybe we shouldn't let guests blow poo poo up whenever they want". They specifically mentioned they were small pyros.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

tadashi posted:

I asked a friend why no one in this post-sexual preference future is sexually assaulting male hosts and he couldn't figure it out, either.

Perhaps the future is so liberated that outside the park it's pride week 24/7 and people just get really tired of all the gay sex they're having.
College taught me that it's actually the male gaze.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What if there are two timelines but the MIB time line is happening first and his reward from finishing the maze is turning into a younger uglier version of himself?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

indigi posted:

yeah but Logan - or any other character - hasn't assaulted/raped any male hosts the way we've seen with Dolores or heard implied by the Westworld staff.

e: that is to say, it's definitely A Thing that gay rape is virtually never used for titillation in the same way hetero rape is. I understand why you'd notice its absence in a show like this.
You can't be killed, but who's to say that on the "higher difficulties" you won't end up walking home bowlegged for more than one reason

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Let me tell you about my Trevor Theory

You know Trevor from GTAV is in Westworld as an NPC, well he's also in The Walking Dead.

Could The Walking Dead be the previous park? It makes sense because in The Walking Dead show there are obviously no guests because everyone is an idiot and no one says the word zombie.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have a theory that Bernard and Ford are both ghosts that are interacting with each other 30 years apart via morphogenetic field.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I like the Dolores dream theory, but I'd go one step further and say everything is a dream, and Dolores is actually not a robot, but just a hack writer in the real world.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not convinced Dolores actually exists.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The show had to do massive reshoots after production was halted two years ago. The actor who plays Kissy is dead, characters have different haircuts, and some logos are different. Deal with it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I want a bonus episode showing the maintenance and host retrieval side of things. Gathering murdered hosts together, throwing them in a big tent for hose down, and then off to maintenance where they sloppily dig bullets out all day while they bitch about being overworked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Let me tell you about my Trevor Theory

You know Trevor from GTAV is in Westworld as an NPC, well he's also in The Walking Dead.

Could The Walking Dead be the previous park? It makes sense because in The Walking Dead show there are obviously no guests because everyone is an idiot and no one says the word zombie.

Zombie park would be a cool idea. All the guests would be people 'immune' to the zombie virus, while NPCs could get infected and turn. Also gets around the "how do you not accidentally stab a real person?" problem; just do violence to zombies. Zombies are only hosts, so you can feel free to destroy zombies all you like.

Although in a zombie park most people would expect to murder tons of zombies every day, which would be even more expensive to keep up with than westworld. Also huge hordes of zombies.

mng posted:

I want a bonus episode showing the maintenance and host retrieval side of things. Gathering murdered hosts together, throwing them in a big tent for hose down, and then off to maintenance where they sloppily dig bullets out all day while they bitch about being overworked.

:lol:
Bring out ya dead!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Doesn't Logan mention that they are paying $40,000 a day to visit the park? Do you think he is paying normal rates for current time, or would that be gold package for 30 years ago.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hey, hey guys. It's a great show. :)

I'm glad we are all enjoying it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

indigi posted:

to be fair we've only seen sexual assault on the one female host - Dolores (and the guest who wasn't the MiB didn't even want to participate in it). I really doubt we'll see much boy-boy rape but it seems like they're not interested in putting the gratuitous/exploitative sexual assault stuff on front street the way GoT did. like, even the few times we've seen it, nobody gets nude, you don't see the act, and they cut away fairly quickly - it's mostly offscreen.

To go with that, almost all of the nudity we have seen has been in the context of the debriefing/operating/programming rooms behind the scenes, where the nudity isn't meant to titillate but rather to dehumanize the characters. It also gives you an eye into the mindset of the people behind the scenes. Anthony Hopkins yells down some schlub in an episode because said schlub was covering them up while he was working on them because as Hopkins' character said 'you're ascribing humanity and emotion to things that have neither'. At that point I started noticing how, when Bernard is interviewing Dolores she's fully clothed and when anyone else is there she's nude. It gives a surprisingly subtle nod as to Bernard's mindset when dealing with her as his little personal experiment.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 25, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Collateral posted:

Doesn't Logan mention that they are paying $40,000 a day to visit the park? Do you think he is paying normal rates for current time, or would that be gold package for 30 years ago.

The gold package for 2 for 4 weeks with a villa was like 34 million when I did the booking thing on the Westworld sit but I can't make it give me the estimate again. If so, Logan is staying on the cheap.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

tadashi posted:

The gold package for 2 for 4 weeks with a villa was like 34 million when I did the booking thing on the Westworld sit but I can't make it give me the estimate again. If so, Logan is staying on the cheap.

Standard package rates were 40k a night. Gold was 200K a night when I priced them out.

Didn't bother to find out the mid tier range.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Standard package rates were 40k a night. Gold was 200K a night when I priced them out.

Didn't bother to find out the mid tier range.

I can't afford that? :(

Is there an economy package where I can just go into the deep storage facility and grope all the old and ugly hosts for an hour?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I can't afford that? :(

Is there an economy package where I can just go into the deep storage facility and grope all the old and ugly hosts for an hour?
The economy package is you attend the park as a host.

Have fun!

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I think I figured out the whole thing, am I allowed speculative spoilers? It all seems fairly plausible for me, so I wouldn't want to ruin the show...

Are we allowed to post that, right? If so, here's the deal, copied from my own blog:

(I'm not updated on fan theories, so it might be as well someone else arrived already at the same conclusion)

quote:

So how does Westworld end?

It’s plausible to assume that the show is pointing both the Man in Black and Dolores to the same “Maze”. What we know about this Maze is that it’s where the real endgame is, that it’s “a story with real stakes, real violence”, and that if Dolores finds the center she’ll be set free. It’s easy to connect the dots, the first episode opens with Dolores versus Man in Black, and both seem now to converge at that showdown right in the center of the Maze, maybe as the climax of the season finale. So we can assume the maze is that particular place where guests like the Man in Black aren’t anymore protected by their supernatural status and both guests and hosts play under the same rules, so that the hosts can actually harm the guests.

The showdown at the center of the Maze will likely see Dolores prevail on the Man in Black, since it projects a nice arc and loops back to the first episode where Dolores was instead the victim, and this likely will trigger a full-blown rebellion, lead by Dolores herself. Something close to “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” reboot, where in this case the androids seize the simulation itself, not only setting themselves free, but starting a conflict.

All this being part of Ford’s master plan. Because it’s obviously Ford who is triggering the whole process, starting to inject some self-awareness in the hosts. All the scenes where Ford mistreats androids as “things” are pure misdirection and ways to directly manipulate Bernard to send him on the opposite path. Ford shows so much cynicism to Bernard that Bernard ends up empathizing as an inverse reaction. But very obviously that too was carefully anticipated by Ford. To Ford his fellow human beings are very simple to understand and control, that why he plays the god’s game: to jumpstart a better species. The overall theme is the creature versus his maker, in order to gain freedom the gods need to be killed. Some kind of “patricide”. And that’s why there’s also a new planned storyline that seems to play around the theme of “religion”, so that Ford can give the hosts awareness of their cruel “gods”, and to trigger that paradigm shift, the rebellion against the gods themselves in order to seize real freedom.

So Ford’s behavior is ultimately ambiguous, he cares for his androids more than he cares for his fellow human beings, because his ultimate plan is to replace them. In the end he’s only working to complete the job that his partner Arnold started.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Abalieno posted:

I think I figured out the whole thing, am I allowed speculative spoilers? It all seems fairly plausible for me, so I wouldn't want to ruin the show...

Are we allowed to post that, right? If so, here's the deal, copied from my own blog:

(I'm not updated on fan theories, so it might be as well someone else arrived already at the same conclusion)
I would be surprised since a lot of that is how :lost: ended and it didn't go over well.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

tadashi posted:

I would be surprised since a lot of that is how :lost: ended and it didn't go over well.

I'm not sure how's that actually related?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Abalieno posted:

I'm not sure how's that actually related?

J.J. Abrams?

lost ends with Jack and company making the smoke monster/MiB mortal so they could destroy him and save the island/humanity/themselves

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 25, 2016

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

tadashi posted:

J.J. Abrams?

lost ends with Jack and company making the smoke monster/MiB mortal so they could destroy him and save the island/humanity/themselves

Well, yeah, that aspect would be similar, but in the economy of Lost finale it didn't have so much relevance. It's just a small plot point. And Lost finale was problematic for much different reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Abalieno posted:

I'm not sure how this counts as 'figuring out the whole thing' since these are just a few major story beats that we'd already guessed when all we'd seen was the pilot.

The devil's in the details. There's something more going on with Arnold than you've figured out, more going on with Bernard, more going on with Corporate, etc.

Obviously Dolores is trying to become self aware and obviously at some point the robots are going to have a rebellion. How it goes down is what matters, and also what other hidden story plots there are which we've only seen glimpses of so far.

Will Delos try to stop Ford? Is Arnold's consciousness still in the system, or in one of the hosts? Is someone we think is human actually a host? Looooots you didn't even begin to touch on there, and I'll be shocked if there isn't a ton more than just that going on.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

Watching the fourth ep right now.

The two men that talk to MiB about his foundation are there when Hector Eschton attack the salon the second time. This does not disrupt a previous story line narrative.

Freeing Hector from the prison is done within the same narrative, still no overlap.

Armistice is a non-overlap.

We have still not seen Billy, as referred to by Logan, and MiB, still no overlap.

We can still safely say these two narratives could be separate from one another.

The only remaining theory is a "dissonance".

Hey fuckos, do you still want to argue that the writers, directors and actors are not doing all of this poo poo, just to gently caress with/entertain all of us?

Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

its almost like 2 different characters with 2 different subplots

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I'd much more believe Logan was the MiB rather than William. It's just a matter of the kind of twist people expect these days, but it's a bit crazy to say these two timelines are literally thirty years apart. The security guy interacts with both timelines looking the same. So very easily debunked it's in the 'silly' territory range. 'Good guy going bad and getting obsessed with someone/something' and 'x or x group was/were secretly y the whole time!!!' are such tired tropes in this hypercynical day and age, but hey I guess anything is possible. But they'd be ruining their own show. I'd feel gypped as hell and it would literally require security guy being a bot and them(the showrunners) to be deliberately lying with editing, plus being an unreliable narrator for the human characters is a pretty big 'gently caress you' to the audience.

I completely agree you can pick out different scenes and whole narratives and plotlines of the bots that would agree with the theory vis-a-vis The Church and other flashback bits. I would argue the bots' memories being unreliable narrators for the flashbacks KEEPING IN MIND they retain memories after death is much more acceptable and likely. Part of the new narrative, part of the poo poo Ford/Bernard are doing to Delores or in that same vein seem way more plausible to me than such easily uprooted plothole poo poo or bad timeline fuckery with twists that would be groan-worthy.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 25, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure how this counts as 'figuring out the whole thing' since these are just a few major story beats that we'd already guessed when all we'd seen was the pilot.

The devil's in the details. There's something more going on with Arnold than you've figured out, more going on with Bernard, more going on with Corporate, etc.

Obviously Dolores is trying to become self aware and obviously at some point the robots are going to have a rebellion. How it goes down is what matters, and also what other hidden story plots there are which we've only seen glimpses of so far.

Will Delos try to stop Ford? Is Arnold's consciousness still in the system, or in one of the hosts? Is someone we think is human actually a host? Looooots you didn't even begin to touch on there, and I'll be shocked if there isn't a ton more than just that going on.

Also, the fact that the hosts originally had a "god's voice" that flowed through them to help them function (you can ask the host on DiscoverWestworld.com about it)and they're clearly rediscovering that. I think, if there's a similarity to any other androids, they're more like the BSG cylons than we have been shown so far in that they may discover their own lost religion.

The season finale episode title hints that this divine voice is much more important than they have explicitly told us in the episodes so far and that it might play an important part toward the end of the season. I think it's even possible that they are blocked from remembering what they've seen more-so than they don't remember what they see. That the memories are there but there's nothing to connect it to their conscious mind.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 25, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

tadashi posted:

Also, the fact that the hosts originally had a "god's voice" that flowed through them to help them function (you can ask the host on DiscoverWestworld.com about it)and they're clearly rediscovering that. I think, if there's a similarity to any other androids, they're more like the BSG cylons than we have been shown so far in that they may discover their own lost religion.

Though, the key difference is that in Battlestar, the voice of God is 100% real. Here, it's at best a higher-level AI created by Arnold (if it isn't actually Arnold himself.) I hope they don't take this show in a literally metaphysical direction like that. The religious metaphor works as metaphor, but I'm pretty sure my eyes would liquefy from rolling if actual literal God crops up as a character.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There is nothing to imply anything supernatural in this show.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

There is nothing to imply anything supernatural in this show.

how do you explain the bullets then

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Here's what the interior of the Mesa facility looks like: http://www.thisisinsider.com/westworld-delos-map-2016-10

You can find it by going to the fake Delos Westworld site and entering Violent Delights into the access box at the top right. Click corporate resources on the left of the page to view WestworldMesaHub.mp4.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also think it's short sighted to think you have it "all" figured out but your only dealing with things probably tied up this season or 1+2. If HBO is banking on this being 4-5 seasons then hold on to your butts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mng posted:

Could be like a messed up version of Scrubs.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

tadashi posted:

The season finale episode title hints that this divine voice is much more important than they have explicitly told us in the episodes so far and that it might play an important part toward the end of the season.

What I wrote already covers this. You might not agree, but it's included.

The "god's voice" was explained as the interface system, the same system Bernard uses to talk with Dolores. That voice is "blocked", normally. They are compelled to follow commands without knowing someone is giving them an order. What happens in episode 10 is that they unblock their own system. So they basically have a way to self-analysis and self-programming. Instead of depending on the "gods" giving them programs and commands, they take charge of themselves through the same god's voice.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
If Logan and William are Ford and Arnold in the past William would be acting like an engineer, not like country bumpkin. If Dolores wondered in acting all weird I doubt they would not have not called up the control room and been like wtf why is this crazy robot wandering around. Instead William is a little bitch around the robot's, kind of like it's the first time he has had this experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crash74 posted:

If Logan and William are Ford and Arnold in the past William would be acting like an engineer, not like country bumpkin. If Dolores wondered in acting all weird I doubt they would not have not called up the control room and been like wtf why is this crazy robot wandering around. Instead William is a little bitch around the robot's, kind of like it's the first time he has had this experience.

Them being Ford and Arnold makes no sense, nothing would be a surprise to them. William is very clearly constantly surprised by the train, the hosts, the violence, etc. That makes no sense. Ford and Arnold built the park, they didn't inherit or take over years later or something. They designed everything.

People are talking about William or Logan being MiB, not Ford. (and that's bunk too)

• Locked thread