Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

Oh my god

I just accidentally dumped a copy of one ticket's entire work log into another one because I was moving too fast with my copy/pastes. Work logs are immutable and there's nothing I can do to fix it.

At least it wasn't my resume.

I need a nap

Every now and then one of the people on our team will accidentally pick up every ticket in the queue by checking the wrong box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
At some point you go in the database and do the impossible.

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome
So a ticket ended badly...

Does anyone still have that link or document about thanking the client instead of apologizing? I really need it to show my co-workers because we have a newish client that really does feed off of the IT staff being wrong.

Today I had to assist the bad client again and stopped myself from apologizing for the issue taking a while to resolve. Instead I thanked the client for their patience and they were pleasant. I tested it with more client interactions and it really did help to stop saying sorry when we really not to blame for anything because hey, poo poo breaks sometimes.

Does anyone have a link to something I could just print out and put in the office everywhere reminding techs not to say 'sorry' all the time just because the client is in a huff?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SEKCobra posted:

At some point you go in the database and do the impossible.

sp_configure 'allow updates to system tables', 1
go

begin tran
truncate table it_tickets
truncate table it_tickets_history
truncate table users
truncate table syslogins
truncate table sysloginroles
truncate table syssrvroles
go
commit tran
go

WHILE 1 == 1 LOOP
PRINT "You'll never guess where I hid the backups"
END LOOP ;
go

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

baquerd posted:

WHILE 1 == 1 LOOP
PRINT "You'll never guess where I hid the backups"
END LOOP ;
Are we playing hide the backup?
Same drive\Migrated shares\Old Server Name\Backups\Current Server\Application
Yes C names work great for pointing to shares so you can migrate them without too much trouble, but make sure you know where you are actually placing the backups.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
same company :toot:

I was hired at my current company to replace someone who came up the ladder and my salary was a bit below where it should be even as a senior network engineer, much less senior network architect levels. I asked about midway through the year for a salary and job description review and I just found out today that my job title is being changed to senior network architect and my salary will be adjusted as well to national average.

edit: well FML, change is only proposed, not definite. :argh:

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 24, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

Ticket: the people who usually complete a task are not in, so can you do it
Me: if you find someone else to do it, we can train them, but we won't just do it.
Ticket: well it's really important so grateful for your assurance that you will do it before you go on leave at the end of the week
Me: let me be more clear. No
I used to have a coworker who did not understand that saying no is not rude. Before he quit he spent almost half his time doing menial daily tasks for another team.

The best thing after he quit was those people coming to us and saying "Now that X quit, these are the tasks you need to take over" and us going ":newlol: Nope, you get to do your own job from now on!"

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Collateral Damage posted:

I used to have a coworker who did not understand that saying no is not rude. Before he quit he spent almost half his time doing menial daily tasks for another team.

The best thing after he quit was those people coming to us and saying "Now that X quit, these are the tasks you need to take over" and us going ":newlol: Nope, you get to do your own job from now on!"

I loving love telling people no haha

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Telling people no is the one bright spark in the dark, depressing hell my job has been over the last month. It almost makes me stop going on Seek and spamming every job application I see that's even slightly connected to my skillset.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nominal posted:

I'm a lowly phone monkey at a help desk, and was wondering, if any of you guys are running a Tend Micro disk encryption implementation, and how is that going for you?

Because ours seems to completely blow rear end. We have something like 3000 systems or so on Trend, and basically, every morning is a massive barrage of people stuck at their system's initial Trend login because it's not syncing with it's policy server to pull their login credentials. Most of the time, it's because they've recently changed their password and it hadn't synced the new one, so they can just get in with their old creds. Sometimes they can't get in with their old or new creds, which I think most of the time is just because of the usual user stuff like having concrete blocks for hands and/or general incompetence. But may be because of some bizarre sync issue where it has their creds in limbo, somehow?

For about the last 2 months just about every morning though we're seeing these systems have no or intermittent communication with the Trend server. We (and again, it's just us lowly helpdesk phone monkeys, ignorant in the complex functions of the rest of the IT world) think it's because the server is getting bombarded with login requests. These calls are super-lovely, because really probably only about 5% of them are normal things where the user is actually locked out or had a login expire, the other 95% the account is fine and it's just a matter of waiting for Trend to sync.

I'm just wondering if this is "normal" with Trend, or if the team that manages our Trend implementation is doing a shitawful job. Or maybe both. It seems weird that my employer just seems to shrug this off like massive start up issues ongoing for months on systems that process customers and directly generate revenue for us isn't a pretty huge deal.

Sounds like someone done hosed up, we managed Trend disk encryption for a number of customers and it seems to be one of the least lovely options.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I just want to vent somewhere about how much I hate bitlocker.

Ahhh, cathartic.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I had someone that couldn't say no at my last job. Problem was, he had delegate powers, so it wasn't him doing everything.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SEKCobra posted:

I had someone that couldn't say no at my last job. Problem was, he had delegate powers, so it wasn't him doing everything.

These are called "salespeople."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Che Delilas posted:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

..and from time to time they too need to get a "no!".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

One of my sayings in work is "no, what's the question?"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Che Delilas posted:

Had a director of IT that never said no, and didn't give us a budget. Well no I can't provide the service you promised 6 months ago that was supposed to be done last week and you just told me about. We need the following stuff. Oh no budget? Make it happen? Well its going to run like poo poo and not really be what you want.

Oh now it's my fault it's late and lovely and the person is complaining if it was going to be poo poo we should have told them months ago and canceled it.

This was other departments at the same place, so we weren't getting paid thankfully or there would have likely be a case for fraud, false advertising something. gently caress I hate yes people.

Also hey my best friend in HR wants this complicated thing done, get it done tomorrow. Well thats mostly server side, never done it so it's going to take at least 20 hours, maybe more. When it ends up taking 4 months the because I keep getting pulled off for other things, well, its my fault I didn't do it in the block of 2 hours when installing the software on the server took 3 becuase its some horrible access MSsql hybrid that also needs an exact version of Java and says get the latest from Java.com

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You guys should checkout The Pheonix Project. I listened to the audiobook.

It's basically this

pixaal posted:

Had a director of IT that never said no, and didn't give us a budget. Well no I can't provide the service you promised 6 months ago that was supposed to be done last week and you just told me about. We need the following stuff. Oh no budget? Make it happen? Well its going to run like poo poo and not really be what you want.

Oh now it's my fault it's late and lovely and the person is complaining if it was going to be poo poo we should have told them months ago and canceled it.

This was other departments at the same place, so we weren't getting paid thankfully or there would have likely be a case for fraud, false advertising something. gently caress I hate yes people.

Also hey my best friend in HR wants this complicated thing done, get it done tomorrow. Well thats mostly server side, never done it so it's going to take at least 20 hours, maybe more. When it ends up taking 4 months the because I keep getting pulled off for other things, well, its my fault I didn't do it in the block of 2 hours when installing the software on the server took 3 becuase its some horrible access MSsql hybrid that also needs an exact version of Java and says get the latest from Java.com
and how to deal with it

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Domain registrar reset MX records to defaults because of a glitch, all email for ~24 hours went into their loving lovely impossible useless webmail rather than exchange. Their suggested solution for getting the email out of webmail was to go through and forward each individual message one at a time, an average of ~250 messages per user.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uPen posted:

Domain registrar reset MX records to defaults because of a glitch, all email for ~24 hours went into their loving lovely impossible useless webmail rather than exchange. Their suggested solution for getting the email out of webmail was to go through and forward each individual message one at a time, an average of ~250 messages per user.
What mail server are you using?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

uPen posted:

Their suggested solution for getting the email out of webmail was to go through and forward each individual message one at a time, an average of ~250 messages per user.

This is amazing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I am currently virtualizing an incredibly decrepit and ancient collection of physical 2003 servers at a site running CitectSCADA version Oldasfuck.outofsupport service pack 3. This piece of poo poo software uses USB software license dongles and requires version Slightlylessoldasfuck.outofsupport in order to move to a software key.

This allowed me to virtualize this piece of poo poo so the company can put off upgrading for another 5 years or ideally ever since it will be like 300k dollars to upgrade it.

Thank god for network attached usb

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 25, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

uPen posted:

Time to move your name servers! I have so many issues with the poo poo ones run 'for free' by the registrars - from not accepting perfectly legal entries to terrible control panels. Everything is in Route53 or CloudFlare now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's some awful company they used to build their website 10 years ago that I've never heard about. My recommendation was switching immediately because loving :aslol: but it's out of my hands now.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I am currently virtualizing an incredibly decrepit and ancient collection of physical 2003 servers at a site running CitectSCADA version Oldasfuck.outofsupport service pack 3. This piece of poo poo software uses USB software license dongles and requires version Slightlylessoldasfuck.outofsupport in order to move to a software key.

This allowed me to virtualize this piece of poo poo so the company can put off upgrading for another 5 years or ideally ever since it will be like 300k dollars to upgrade it.

I saw a similar product a few years ago that had the dongles behind a locked panel but can't find it anymore. Dongles are bad enough as it is , I hate having the things stick out in a rack.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You're actually upgrading something automation-related. That's not supposed to happen. What's supposed to happen is for that poo poo to keel over at oh dark thirty and a frantic engineer calling me to fix it.

I work in industrial automation and the sheer amount of old / lovely systems out there running critical services that we all depend on scares me.

Some of the newer crap being internet-accessible scares me even more. There's literally no reason why the SCADA system for a water purification plant should be reachable on the public internet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uPen posted:

It's some awful company they used to build their website 10 years ago that I've never heard about. My recommendation was switching immediately because loving :aslol: but it's out of my hands now.
Well if you can't do POP/IMAP imports to your real mail server then yeah, you're hosed.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

You're actually upgrading something automation-related. That's not supposed to happen. What's supposed to happen is for that poo poo to keel over at oh dark thirty and a frantic engineer calling me to fix it.

I work in industrial automation and the sheer amount of old / lovely systems out there running critical services that we all depend on scares me.

Some of the newer crap being internet-accessible scares me even more. There's literally no reason why the SCADA system for a water purification plant should be reachable on the public internet.

That happened when one of their 2003 servers crashed and they frantically moved load around to the other servers. That's why I was called and this infrastructure is now being modernized and virtualized.

PLC "security" is a joke and we just flat out tell people nope if they want stupid poo poo related to punching holes through firewalls, which is exactly what one of these vendors wanted me to do. They are pitching a fit due to having to use a VPN to remote into a specific remote access terminal for talking to their PLCs.

No but sorry I don't want to put equipment that handles volatile chemicals and moves at high speeds directly on the internet so that your support team can get into it at will with no access log.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Server 2003 sounds pretty modern for scada stuff, we've got a client with some scada stuff stuck on server 2000 SP2, but at least we finally killed off all the NT stuff! :suicide:

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers

Maneki Neko posted:

Server 2003 sounds pretty modern for scada stuff, we've got a client with some scada stuff stuck on server 2000 SP2, but at least we finally killed off all the NT stuff! :suicide:

NT? I admin an ancient DOS based system which can't even properly use extended memory. Luckily, we've budgeted for an upgrade, but maintaining this system is a beast.

At least I don't have to worry about remote vulnerabilities at the moment...

Edit: Someone should start a SCADA thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheGreenBandit posted:

NT? I admin an ancient DOS based system which can't even properly use extended memory. Luckily, we've budgeted for an upgrade

Man, what does an EMS card go for these days?

:v:

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Man, what does an EMS card go for these days?

:v:

I found out that it runs on VMWare Workstation, though high memory gets weird. Works pretty well if I keep our screens simple. All because I've run out of hardware that will run it, and I've got to keep it going for 6 more months. Then we'll be moving from this to a completely virtualized system with modern PLCs and an Ethernet radio network, something more up my alley.

I think I'll miss this system a bit though, we're the same age. :v:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

TheGreenBandit posted:

I found out that it runs on VMWare Workstation, though high memory gets weird.

Probably a dumb question: Can this be run in DOSbox?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

jfc one of my support people is stupid beyond belief.

Our software uses the registry keys under HKCR to know how to open files (eg. the default value for HKCR\.pdf tells it which program to use). Occasionally this key is empty/wrong so our software can't open that type of file. The solution is to go to the key and put in the appropriate value for the program you want to use.

This person followed the instructions we send to clients and just put in the example key we have in the instructions which didn't work. When I came and helped her she didn't have any PDF software installed, much less Adobe Reader, and she kept asking how she should have known what was installed or what to do - since she is apparently completely incapable of using lateral thought. I dream of either firing her (possibly out of a cannon) or changing jobs to one where my staff aren't loving imbeciles.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

iajanus posted:

jfc one of my support people is stupid beyond belief.

Our software uses the registry keys under HKCR to know how to open files (eg. the default value for HKCR\.pdf tells it which program to use). Occasionally this key is empty/wrong so our software can't open that type of file. The solution is to go to the key and put in the appropriate value for the program you want to use.

This person followed the instructions we send to clients and just put in the example key we have in the instructions which didn't work. When I came and helped her she didn't have any PDF software installed, much less Adobe Reader, and she kept asking how she should have known what was installed or what to do - since she is apparently completely incapable of using lateral thought. I dream of either firing her (possibly out of a cannon) or changing jobs to one where my staff aren't loving imbeciles.

Similarly, I have one who was trying to fix a user's network home's permissions, on an OSX Server. Instructions were broken down into

:) "remote into serverX, terminal window is open. press up, change the path to the user's you want to fix".
:j: "I did that. it didn't work"
:) "did it say anything?"
:j: "yeah. enter password"
:) "did you?"
:j: "it wouldn't let me"
:) "it hides your input from you. just put in the password"
:j: "how was I supposed to know that?"
:) "it says 'mac specialist' on your email signature. You've worked in this office more than a decade." :sad:

Also: yes... I know how many things are wrong with this whole process. For now, I need to choose other battles.

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Probably a dumb question: Can this be run in DOSbox?

Yes, but it needs a parallel port license dongle, which DOSbox won't pass through without using a 3rd party build and 3rd party software.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TheGreenBandit posted:

Yes, but it needs a parallel port license dongle, which DOSbox won't pass through without using a 3rd party build and 3rd party software.

Ahaha ha loving dongles.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Ahaha ha loving dongles.

Watch out or you'll get fired

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TheGreenBandit posted:

I would seriously consider reverse engineering the dongle and writing a TSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

spankmeister posted:

reverse engineering the dongle

• Locked thread