Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nothing to see here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also worth noting that Racetech cartridge emulators for an SV650 are like $130, they're hardly expensive.

For some reason I thought this was way more. I'll look into it, thanks

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I abused the poo poo out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Washed out the front end on a patch of grit yesterday while braking hard up to a stoplight, and dumped it at about 10mph. Lame. No damage to myself (ATGATT!), and total damage to the bike was one busted turn signal (3D printing a new one) and a cracked peg mount (welded it back together this afternoon). Rode it home fine, bike tracks straight with hands off the bars, etc. A guy who came up to help turned out to be a custom bike builder in the East Bay. You always meet neat people on bikes.

Anti-lock brakes would have saved it. Z3n, how's that retrofit ABS module you've been designing coming along?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have all the design work done, if you can make yourself a set of reluctor rings that match the ninja 650 abs design we can do the first one on your bike :)

Glad you're ok!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also worth noting that Racetech cartridge emulators for an SV650 are like $130, they're hardly expensive.

Not to threadjack too hard but would that be a complementing purchase with new oil and springs or cam it substitute for all of that ?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You need all of that and I would suggest replacing your seals at the same time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

penus penus penus posted:

Not to threadjack too hard but would that be a complementing purchase with new oil and springs or cam it substitute for all of that ?

Well you have to tear the forks right down so you don't get a choice on fork oil. Plus it's hosed already.

Springs are the other half of the decent suspension equation, you need springs the right stiffness for your weight so the valving can do it's valvy dance properly.

Stock SV forks have ultra-light springs coupled with a lovely damping rod setup circa 1985. Getting just emulators is half of the way to Not poo poo Suspension, as is getting just springs by themselves.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Spears Racing sells a more performance oriented version of the Ricors. Also, check out TWF Performance, he sells a revalved GSXR cart for stock SV forks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

I have all the design work done, if you can make yourself a set of reluctor rings that match the ninja 650 abs design we can do the first one on your bike :)

Glad you're ok!

Do you have a link to the dimensions? I'm interested...

(Also can you do it to only the front brake? Not sure if there's room on the rear with the single-sided swingarm and all)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Do you have a link to the dimensions? I'm interested...

(Also can you do it to only the front brake? Not sure if there's room on the rear with the single-sided swingarm and all)

You just need an equivalent number of cutouts, the rest of the dimensions are flexible. I just would just ballpark it off an eBay ad photo, haha.

Could do it with just the front but it should be possible to make a thing that'd work for the rear as well. After all, there are plenty of ssa Ducatis with rings on them. Usually they mount just on top of the rear rotor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. And it's just a steel plate, right? The alloy doesn't have to have any special properties?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah just has to work with a Hall effect sensor.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Slavvy posted:

Well you have to tear the forks right down so you don't get a choice on fork oil. Plus it's hosed already.

Springs are the other half of the decent suspension equation, you need springs the right stiffness for your weight so the valving can do it's valvy dance properly.

Stock SV forks have ultra-light springs coupled with a lovely damping rod setup circa 1985. Getting just emulators is half of the way to Not poo poo Suspension, as is getting just springs by themselves.

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. Ill spring for both at once and also seal maintenance if necessary

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just helped a wrecker / bike shop owner load it up on a trailer. He does work for the insurance company, which pending some paperwork will own the bike. We had a good run, but I guess I am now soon officially bike free. Sad, bu....hey, what's that noise, it's a aaaaaaaa :gb2gbs:

e: btw the bike shop guy was very cool. He had had a same make, 83 model which he rode to St Tropez with a girl and he said he shot some nudes of her there on that bike. Typical biker, whatever he takes pictures of, the bike has to be in the shot. His current ride? His 6th Tesla...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I poured out a digital forty. Rip.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Alright, well, it turns out the renthal road streetfighters are thicc af, so my 'spensive rear end napoleons won't fit

No mirrors no crossbars no masters

:ssh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

Just helped a wrecker / bike shop owner load it up on a trailer. He does work for the insurance company, which pending some paperwork will own the bike. We had a good run, but I guess I am now soon officially bike free.

:rip:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Alright, well, it turns out the renthal road streetfighters are thicc af, so my 'spensive rear end napoleons won't fit

Nice thibk bkars and kool sbkeleton
#BomptonBloods

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

That skeleton appears to have a charred skeledong.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Wrote a check for it, rode it home, and put a battery tender lead on it. Needs a new pair of tires soon. ('14 Multistrada S)

Tomorrow it's taking pictures of the "old" ride and getting it, and the collection of farkles I have for it, sold. Anyone interested in an '08 FZ1 w/ 9K miles?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

('14 Multistrada S)

Oh snap! Interesting choice. I saw one of those up at the mountains last weekend and looked sharp and comfortable/supportive as all get out. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I finished up swapping the harness on the Tuono today, it fixed the speedometer issue I was having. Downside is that I broke the tach stepper motor in the cluster that came with the bike that carried the proper mileage - 32k. The cluster I bought on eBay had 223 miles on it when the bike was totaled, and of course mileage is carried in the cluster, not the ECU.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is the Tuono your road bike, or is it a track bike for you?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's my road bike and backup bike at trackdays. I was planing on selling it to buy a Tuono V4 APRC or S1000R.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It was a crazy 18 out today, after being near single digits mid-week, so did a quick gas up and trip out on the highway and back into town after a stop at the mall. Parking garage had some slick wet road surface, wasn't very impressed with the traction. Almost time to put the biek away for a winters nap.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I'm gonna assume that that's 18 degrees Centigrade.

Last time I tried to ride that cold in Fahrenheit, 75% of my throttle travel was frozen.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Jerry rigged my gear pedal back onto my bike in the middle of Tasmania

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

fickle poofterist posted:

Jerry rigged my gear pedal back onto my bike in the middle of Tasmania

Ready to Race ™

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought we'd agreed that KTMs are just so Ready To Race™ that they automatically shed weight

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nearly lost the petcock knob, only noticed just before riding off that the screw had backed itself out almost all the way. Which is weird because I don't remember it being like that when I got off the bike yesterday (and I should have noticed because I always switch the fuel off when parking up).

Maybe some ants were trying to steal it in the night? :iiam:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Cursed, removed wheels, had new tires installed, reinstalled wheels

Holy poo poo, the rear lug on my Multi was on tight. Factory torque spec is 170ft-lbs, but I couldn't get the damned thing to budge with a breaker bar. Snapped the half-inch drive for my electric impact the second I pulled the trigger. Actually had to get the air impact out and whack it a few times, then go at it with the breaker again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jazzzzz posted:

Cursed, removed wheels, had new tires installed, reinstalled wheels

Holy poo poo, the rear lug on my Multi was on tight. Factory torque spec is 170ft-lbs, but I couldn't get the damned thing to budge with a breaker bar. Snapped the half-inch drive for my electric impact the second I pulled the trigger. Actually had to get the air impact out and whack it a few times, then go at it with the breaker again.

uhhh did you mean NM? 170 ft lbs seems excessive

e: just read up on the tech specs drat thats a tight rear end nut :lol:

tuono only calls for like 88 ft lbs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think bikes with single-sided swingarms will always have extreme torque values for that rear wheel locknut. I'm sure it's more complicated than "maximum engine torque multiplied by gear ratio", but those numbers actually work out pretty well for my Hawk GT, which calls for 130 lb-ft on the rear wheel.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

uhhh did you mean NM? 170 ft lbs seems excessive

e: just read up on the tech specs drat thats a tight rear end nut :lol:

tuono only calls for like 88 ft lbs

yeah, I thought I misread at first too, but it's 230nm which is ~170 lb ft

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I did a Diavel recently that was 170ft/lb on the rear. With grease on the threads and nut flange, no less. Highest torque I've ever done on any bike part ever, I think.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I need to get a decent lift like a Bursig or a better pair of stands - I actually managed to knock the pin on my front stand out of the bottom triple clamp when I was initially trying to break the rear lug loose. Glad I didn't do the front wheel first. Put a nice 2" scrape down the radiator, but that was all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just break it loose on the side stand.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Just break it loose on the side stand.

Can the ducati side stand handle that much extra force without snapping off of the engine case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Decided to check my own valve clearances on my sv650 which was overdue. Went pretty smooth once I figured poo poo out.

Well, until I started torquing the cam journal covers

*shoots self*

I was tightening them in a star pattern. The torque spec was 7 ft/lbs. I don't typically use a torque wrench on something that low but I figured what the hell it holds the cams in.

I didn't even hit 7 ft lbs when one snapped clean off. To my dismay, 3 other snapped just backing them out. You can see one of the survivors there stretched way out. I checked and double checked that the torque wrench was working on other bolts on the bike. Click click click. Yes! Merely 9 hours straight with this and now my bike is dead until I either find some suitable bolts or wait until monday and find a dealer. Real fun and nerve wracking backing those out in recessed wells in my cylinder head (so no grinding of any kind).

Marked grade 7. :wtf: grade 7 swiss fuckin cheese maybe, I still can't believe this poo poo happened. I've stripped and broken more bolts on this bike than any other vehicle in my life.

And one of my valves was way out of spec so I get to do it all again.

Needless to say ill be tightening these by hand :mad:

edit: luckily enough there appears to be no damage at all to the threads in the head, once I got them started (haha!) they came out nice and easy

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 6, 2016