Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Last night I shot a plane with a tank almost by accident. Best battlefield ever 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

red19fire posted:

Last night I shot a plane with a tank almost by accident. Best battlefield ever 10/10.

You could do this even in Battlefield 1942. It has never not be a part of the series.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

CornHolio posted:

wait wait wait

can you use the repair tool on horses?

Yes, it replaces their horse shoes and there's a nice animation for it.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yes, it replaces their horse shoes and there's a nice animation for it.

I feel like this is a cruel joke and the announcer lady will say "this kills the horse"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She seems kinda dejected when she says "half the enemy force remains"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I love the voice direction for the announcer VO. The way she says "We are winning" is just so deliciously smug.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Ok so I might be really dumb but how do you unlock weapons with war bonds? You can't do it in the weapons and gadgets screen under the Soldier tab so I'm assuming you can only do it during the customization screen? If so, how on earth can I buy the tanker class weapons?

Born in Bexhill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just added most of the Xbone list, it's awful trying to play by yourself in sniper squads.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Born in Bexhill posted:

Ok so I might be really dumb but how do you unlock weapons with war bonds? You can't do it in the weapons and gadgets screen under the Soldier tab so I'm assuming you can only do it during the customization screen? If so, how on earth can I buy the tanker class weapons?

You have to wait for a tank to be available during a match, put your cursor over it, and then hit the customize button like a soldier class.

Yes it's outrageously retarded.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Born in Bexhill posted:

You buy them as you level up, not all of them are available to buy at every class level.

Edit, sorry I misunderstood what you were asking, I think.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I love the voice direction for the announcer VO. The way she says "We are winning" is just so deliciously smug.

Is weird that I want more voice options?

I want one with "e-sport" style. And another entusiastic one that is always positive. A neutral one done by a dude with a lobotomy that can't feel feels. The obligatory Unreal one (with these voice lines that people wrongly attribute to quake) and one like Lord Saladin from Destiny, with these "This is amazing!" "I don't believe what my eyes are seeing!".

The women one .. I do not like, It don't convey the sincere hope and trust in the future even a losing team need.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

You have to wait for a tank to be available during a match, put your cursor over it, and then hit the customize button like a soldier class.

My god. And just when I was thinking this game was the least :dice: of all the Battlefields.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Man, I am really really loving bad at not dying. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to improve at playing this game when I die literally five seconds after spawning in. It's also really hard to make heads or tails out of where the enemy will be approaching from and things are just a total poo poo show. I'm sure I'll start to understand the levels more as I play, but just wish I wasn't so frustrated.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Speaking of features from previous games that were left out, I'm not just missing the test range that's hidden somewhere, right. There just isn't one is there?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
This is an open letterhistorical lesson to the guy who said this game was "boring" something something "not enough battlefield moments"

~~~

Dearest Edward,

http://i.imgur.com/Msfk6zU.gifv
~War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and
patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. It is a fearful thing to lead
this great peaceful people into war, into the most terrible and disastrous of all wars, civilization
itself seeming to be in the balance. But the right is more precious than peace, and we shall fight for
the things which we have always carried nearest our hearts, for democracy, for the right of those
who submit to authority to have a voice in their own governments, for the rights and liberties of
small nations, for a universal dominion of right by such a concert of free peoples as shall bring
peace and safety to all~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6B5Y3ZC1I
~You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and
those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can
pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day
than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwu-PiXCmoE
~If I am asked what we are fighting for I reply in two sentences: In the first place, to fulfil a solemn
international obligation, an obligation which, if it had been entered into between private persons
in the ordinary concerns of life, would have been regarded as an obligation not only of law but of
honour, which no self-respecting man could possibly have repudiated.

I say, secondly, we are fighting to vindicate the principle which, in these days when force, material
force, sometimes seems to be the dominant influence and factor in the development of mankind,
we are fighting to vindicate the principle that small nationalities are not to be crushed, in defiance
of international good faith, by the arbitrary will of a strong and overmastering Power~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrfWV_a-Ug
~Not to have an adequate air force in the present state of the world is to compromise the foundations
of national freedom and independence. What is at at stake now is the peace of the world. What we
are striving for is a new international order based upon broad and universal principles of right and
justice, -- no mere peace of shreds and patches~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1fBz9NNOMk
~Technology and production can be great benefactors of man, but they are mindless instruments, and
if undirected they careen along with a momentum of their own. In our country, they pulverize everything
in their path -- the landscape, the natural environment, history and tradition, the amenities and civilities,
the privacy and spaciousness of life, much beauty, and the fragile, slow-growing social structures
that bind us together~

Like I had to stop fighting the great entire war in order to cut up these videos to convince one of my friends to just buy the game instead of waiting for a sale

Not enough battlefield moments are you fockinng kidding me christ of switzerland kids these days

I have to take breaks while driving the artillery truck just to breathe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8g2varr5c

I can't even

http://i.imgur.com/lCdrMZ8.gifv

No man can explain this, these great and extreme horrors of war

Signed,
Forrest Mormon-Edmund St. Bakersmenfieldingtonman, 1913, on this August of 12th, Argdonnes Forest of the West Hinterland, it is cold

~~~

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 29, 2016

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
and there's no fuckin test range and the menus are terrible and i hate the companion and the ui is from hell

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, I am really really loving bad at not dying. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to improve at playing this game when I die literally five seconds after spawning in. It's also really hard to make heads or tails out of where the enemy will be approaching from and things are just a total poo poo show. I'm sure I'll start to understand the levels more as I play, but just wish I wasn't so frustrated.

I feel your pain. I managed to die less after unlocking a few weapons that didn't take up so much of my view, and I also widened my FOV. Getting used to the maps is huge, because I felt lost every time I spawned. :dice: is in full effect, though, spawning on teammates often leads to instant death. Spawning on captured points often leads to instant death. Spawning at the base and running to the nearest capture point often results in a death that took a little longer. Just like BF4 I'm always getting shot in the back or from some unknown place. Just sit back and relax, like the game says, "you are not expected to survive". :iamafag:

Enemies are really hard to see, and tons of people are laying on the ground all over the place. If spotting weren't so useless it might be possible to mark all the enemies but spotting is broken as gently caress. The first medal I tried for (after the update it has vanished) had spotting as part of the requirements and it was really annoying to be killed so many times by people while I wasted time trying to spot them.

It seems like movement is slow as poo poo, but that might just be me. Regardless, I am enjoying a lot of it and I think there's a steep learning curve for middling players like myself. I'm much less frustrated now, than I was the first day or so. I was on the losing team for at least the first five rounds I played and it was kinda discouraging.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

mellowjournalism posted:

This is an open letterhistorical lesson to the guy who said this game was "boring" something something "not enough battlefield moments"

~~~

Dearest Edward,

~War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and
patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. It is a fearful thing to lead
this great peaceful people into war, into the most terrible and disastrous of all wars, civilization
itself seeming to be in the balance. But the right is more precious than peace, and we shall fight for
the things which we have always carried nearest our hearts, for democracy, for the right of those
who submit to authority to have a voice in their own governments, for the rights and liberties of
small nations, for a universal dominion of right by such a concert of free peoples as shall bring
peace and safety to all~

~You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and
those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can
pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day

~If I am asked what we are fighting for I reply in two sentences: In the first place, to fulfil a solemn
international obligation, an obligation which, if it had been entered into between private persons
in the ordinary concerns of life, would have been regarded as an obligation not only of law but of

I say, secondly, we are fighting to vindicate the principle which, in these days when force, material
force, sometimes seems to be the dominant influence and factor in the development of mankind,
we are fighting to vindicate the principle that small nationalities are not to be crushed, in defiance
of international good faith, by the arbitrary will of a strong and overmastering Power~

~Not to have an adequate air force in the present state of the world is to compromise the foundations
of national freedom and independence. What is at at stake now is the peace of the world. What we
are striving for is a new international order based upon broad and universal principles of right and

~Technology and production can be great benefactors of man, but they are mindless instruments, and
if undirected they careen along with a momentum of their own. In our country, they pulverize everything
in their path -- the landscape, the natural environment, history and tradition, the amenities and civilities,
the privacy and spaciousness of life, much beauty, and the fragile, slow-growing social structures
that bind us together~

Like I had to stop fighting the great entire war in order to cut up these videos to convince one of my friends to just buy the game instead of waiting for a sale

Not enough battlefield moments are you fockinng kidding me christ of switzerland kids these days

I can't even

Signed,
Forrest Mormon-Edmund St. Bakersmenfieldingtonman, 1913, on this August of 12th, Argdonnes Forest of the West Hinterland, it is cold

~~~

All of these were amazing but holy poo poo those last three

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, spotting really sucks rear end this time around. For one thing you have to be aiming ADS and directly at the enemy to spot people at anything but close range, and the spot disappears the second they duck behind cover or break LOS, which means the only enemies that stay spotted for more than half a second are snipers and people running across open fields. Also nobody seems to give a poo poo about spotted enemies anyway, despite the fact that it's basically a free kill if you are nearby.

And then the flare is so, so good at spotting that it's absurd, but lol good luck having a scout that brings flares instead of the sniper shield and K bullets / tripmines.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pro Tip: add v to the end of .gif to make a more better gif

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no don't I'm in my phone

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So if a tracked medal runs out, will you have the same progress next time it cycles through? I really want to finish the horsey one, but I'm afraid too many maps dont have enough horses to complete it in time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

V for Vegans posted:

So if a tracked medal runs out, will you have the same progress next time it cycles through? I really want to finish the horsey one, but I'm afraid too many maps dont have enough horses to complete it in time.

Pretty sure it resets :/

I'm not sure if that's been 100% confirmed or not, but the wording when they described the new system definitely makes it seem that way.

Rush seems like it might be the better mode for that, since there's proportionally more cavalry spawns than in conquest and there are less vehicles to gib you out of nowhere. Suez is probably the best map for it since you can run along the outside of the town and try to cut down people that are running in from the spawn, but that map is also always utterly infested with snipers so it's going to be annoying no matter what. Ballroom Blitz is pretty good for cavalry kills too, I've found.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Pretty sure it resets :/

I'm not sure if that's been 100% confirmed or not, but the wording when they described the new system definitely makes it seem that way.

Rush seems like it might be the better mode for that, since there's proportionally more cavalry spawns than in conquest and there are less vehicles to gib you out of nowhere. Suez is probably the best map for it since you can run along the outside of the town and try to cut down people that are running in from the spawn, but that map is also always utterly infested with snipers so it's going to be annoying no matter what. Ballroom Blitz is pretty good for cavalry kills too, I've found.

I got halfway through the medal tonight, so hopefully I can finish it in the next 5 days. They definitely nerfed horses since the beta though, you now have to actually be in the same grid square as someone when swinging your sword to kill them.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

moist turtleneck posted:

Pro Tip: add v to the end of .gif to make a more better gif

frank.club posted:

no don't I'm in my phone

wait what

I tried adding v and it broke it, ?

I've also heard legends of gifs longer than 15 seconds, if anyone knows about that

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

V for Vegans posted:

I got halfway through the medal tonight, so hopefully I can finish it in the next 5 days. They definitely nerfed horses since the beta though, you now have to actually be in the same grid square as someone when swinging your sword to kill them.

Yeah, they are extremely easy to kill if you see them coming, and there will be lots of frustrating moments where you are trying to kill someone and your sword goes right through them without dealing damage, or your dumbass horse decides to take a running leap over a small pile of rubble next to the guy, so you sail over his head and he turns around and shoots you because you have the turning radius of a cargo freighter. In wide open areas they are brutal killing machines, but most people are smart enough by now to stay out of the open. Anywhere with lots of little elevation changes (trenches / stairs, etc.) is horrible, and I can't even count the number of times I've gotten straight-up stuck on a tree branch or an awning or something. Also not being able to hit prone people with the sword suuuucks. You can still run them over for a kill, but that "10 saber kills" part takes way longer than it should.

The nice thing is they hang around in the same spot on the map where you died until someone else takes it or it gets blown up, so you can usually get back on if your team doesn't care too much about playing cavalry.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flame tank is absurd

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

mellowjournalism posted:

~~~

Dearest Edward,

peace and safety to all~

that bind us together~

I can't even

Signed,

~~~

This is excellent.

When only a madman do the right thing, is time to be a madman.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are the same medals available to everyone? My friend was describing the one he was doing, but I didn't have it available. How does it decide who gets what?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
What audio settings on PS4 will make footsteps and vehicles audible before they kill me or run over me? I have stereo and headphones set now but the only thing that makes any appreciable sound is the horse.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sunday at work posted:

What audio settings on PS4 will make footsteps and vehicles audible before they kill me or run over me? I have stereo and headphones set now but the only thing that makes any appreciable sound is the horse.

I use war tapes. It took a while to actually be able to differentiate what footsteps sound like. They're louder in buildings and make floors creak. Outside it can be pretty hard to hear

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

frank.club posted:

no don't I'm in my phone

The awful app has gifv integration so you don't have to click a link, it just shows up like a gif

Also, 15 meg gif is like 150k as a gifv/webm

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Not that I've got some huge boner for murder but I kind of wish dismemberments extended beyond the cavalry kills.

I'd be pretty sweet to see a direct hit from a mortar throw to guys backwards and remove their arms.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sunday at work posted:

Footsteps are really quiet in this game, and honestly I'm ok with it, I always thought it was kinda dumb that if you were approaching some guys from behind the only thing determining whether one of them turns around and shoots you from 60 feet away is whether or not any of them own headphones irl

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Whoa. Something is clicking and I'm starting to feel good about this game. I'm doing a lot better but I still wish there was a gun for assault that had a bit more range. Working with squad mates is essential, and doing the squad objectives. The game seems to be all about using cover and going slower forward than you'd think from the sheer amount of carnage going on. Operations is seriously the coolest game mode ever.

Is it correct to be switching between classes a lot depending on the range needed from guns? Doesn't that skrew up those medals progression? What's the pigeon game mode about?

Can I get a slack invite for xbone? Meatbishop. I'd love to play with goons.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Chomp8645 posted:

yeah, it took me a bit to figure out, and it is the dumbest thing ever.

frank.club posted:

Flame tank is absurd

I went on a rampage yesterday with a full squaded flametank in between some building on a heavily contested point. It was beautiful.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I spent yesterday getting to scout level 1 playing close quarters attack scout, which was difficult using the bolt action rifles. I finally unlocked the experimental semi auto scout gun though, so I'm excited to try it out after work today.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I sent a request to Battlegoons. PSN handle's Robo-Raptor, because Sony doesn't let you change that poo poo.

I'm not very good, nor am I incredibly talkative, but I play. I might be getting better at the game--can't really tell.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dynamite traps are hella rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My PS4 is hooked up to my wireless and as a result, I constantly get the little latency and low FPS icons. Game usually plays fine though. Should I run an ethernet cable into my basement or am I good?