Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Biowarfare posted:

What would be the easiest way to roll my own crypto? PHP/Python/Java server-side, JS in browser client-side.

none of this is security critical in the slightest, i just want the easiest possible way to not meet any standard or protocol but have a working encode/decode implementation that can be parsed into a js object/array that i can cycle formats periodically, was thinking about some abomination of protobuf xor'd with the user's client ip and current timestamp
What are you even trying to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Custom text/array serialization format specifically for anti-compatibility purposes, in as hosed up a manner as possible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pairofdimes posted:

Has anyone ever pre-emptively attacked the vulnerable IOT/other vulnerable devices to stop a botnet from forming? For instance, instead of using the Mirai botnet code to infect more hosts, instead just have them all wipe themselves.

It seems that if it hasn't happened yet it's only a matter of time. Maybe that would finally force manufacturers to take security more seriously since they would have to deal with a bunch of angry customers.

Super illegal. While there is a SMALL number of countries that allow "counter-hacking" (the US is not one), I don't know of any that allow pre-emptive future-crime justice. If someone were to try to do this, remember that EACH device touched is individually a separate count under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in the US if caught.

Plus there's the whole Law of Unintended Consequences, as well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Custom text/array serialization format specifically for anti-compatibility purposes, in as hosed up a manner as possible.

But why? What's the ultimate goal? Any format you choose can be reversed engineered by someone motivated enough. The entire point of using a standard is so that you don't have to do it yourself. Ultimately, it just seems to create work for the sake of creating work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

keseph posted:

You're an ISP and have successfully identified a customer participating in a botnet. You know they have an infected machine on their network, no expertise to fix it, and even if you do send a tech who knows the specific device that's the problem, what're they going to do with it when the device is unpatchable? Now consider the cost born by the ISP in this process and multiply by 500 million clueless subscribers.

I was going to say it seems like the solution is mostly just "User education and not being idiots" so pretty much it's unsolvable.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pairofdimes posted:

Has anyone ever pre-emptively attacked the vulnerable IOT/other vulnerable devices to stop a botnet from forming? For instance, instead of using the Mirai botnet code to infect more hosts, instead just have them all wipe themselves.

It seems that if it hasn't happened yet it's only a matter of time. Maybe that would finally force manufacturers to take security more seriously since they would have to deal with a bunch of angry customers.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but Welchia did something similar back in the day, although it tried to be more helpful and remove blaster vs hurting the device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welchia

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Inspector_666 posted:

I was going to say it seems like the solution is mostly just "User education and not being idiots" so pretty much it's unsolvable.

Totally! If we can just teach users how to change the telnet password on an interface they don't know exists without common tools like passwd, then we can totally solve this! This is not a user education issue. This is absolutely a device manufacturer issue. We need some kind of 'connected things' alliance to create some standards around this poo poo, create some kind of quality seal and teach users to buy those things.

I feel like this whole discussion has gotten muddied because people gotten it into their heads that this is a result of people connecting toasters to the internet, leaving the web management interface internet accessible and not changing the default password. None of the things in that last sentence have anything to do with Mirai or the DDoS from Friday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doug posted:

Totally! If we can just teach users how to change the telnet password on an interface they don't know exists without common tools like passwd, then we can totally solve this! This is not a user education issue. This is absolutely a device manufacturer issue. We need some kind of 'connected things' alliance to create some standards around this poo poo, create some kind of quality seal and teach users to buy those things.

Yeah I wrote that still in the "Download some sweet tunage off of Kazaa and join a botnet!" headspace. :downs:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ah Kazaa and Limewire. Willfully infecting your computer with the worst aids in order to listen to some mp3's.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah I wrote that still in the "Download some sweet tunage off of Kazaa and join a botnet!" headspace. :downs:

Yeah, that seems to be where the majority of the "community" is too. People posting screenshots on Twitter of web admin panels with default creds, others bashing users, and still others taking the curmudgeon angle and talking about how it shouldn't be connected to the internet in the first place. Self righteousness is at an all time high trending perfectly with ignorance and misinformation.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ah Kazaa and Limewire. Willfully infecting your computer with the worst aids in order to listen to some mp3's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQqrnX7BsM&t=3s

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Any PCI experts in here? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, and cannot really wrap my head about the PCI council documentation I can find on the topic..

We are getting ready to implement a PCI validated point-to-point encryption system for taking credit cards/EMV. (Verishield Protect). With this, the customer's account data is encrypted on the pad with a per device key and stays that way to our processor. Our POS software never sees any part of the CC data, it only receives status codes. We have zero access to any card holder data period, and it never travels over our network in a unencrypted form.

I cannot get a straight answer on how much this reduces our PCI scope.. Our POS software provider is telling us it puts us out of scope entirely, i.e. zero PCI requirements. But I am not believing that. Our processor doesn't really have a answer for us either.

Is anyone familiar with such systems?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stevewm posted:

Any PCI experts in here? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, and cannot really wrap my head about the PCI council documentation I can find on the topic..

We are getting ready to implement a PCI validated point-to-point encryption system for taking credit cards/EMV. (Verishield Protect). With this, the customer's account data is encrypted on the pad with a per device key and stays that way to our processor. Our POS software never sees any part of the CC data, it only receives status codes. We have zero access to any card holder data period, and it never travels over our network in a unencrypted form.

I cannot get a straight answer on how much this reduces our PCI scope.. Our POS software provider is telling us it puts us out of scope entirely, i.e. zero PCI requirements. But I am not believing that. Our processor doesn't really have a answer for us either.

I feel like that might be something you pay a consultant to walk you through. Right?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

stevewm posted:

Hahahahahaha oh software vendor.

Yeah, you'll still have some work to do, it may just be a very small scope.

This document describes which SAQ applies to you:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/SAQ_InstrGuidelines_v3-1.pdf

Based on what you described, I'd assume this one, but you should double check with your processor/bank, as they're the ones ball busting you annually:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/PCI-DSS-v3_2-SAQ-P2PE.pdf?agreement=true&time=1477412953976

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I feel like that might be something you pay a consultant to walk you through. Right?

Same.

I can get complicated at that level. Hardware encrypted on the device with device specific key. Does the POS software interact with the device when you need to re-key? Does it have access to the secure enclave in any way at all? If they do (or even if they don't) the software vendor will still most likely need to fill out an SAQ for an auditors signing an affidavit that their software is in compliance with whichever of the sections of PCI-DSS apply to their software.

Get a PCI consultant to review your systems and determine what you are responsible for in an auditor's eyes. And you are responsible for everything on your systems, whether it's vendor supplied or not. Because, it doesn't matter what the software vendor says. It matters was the auditor says.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

flosofl posted:

Same.

I can get complicated at that level. Hardware encrypted on the device with device specific key. Does the POS software interact with the device when you need to re-key? Does it have access to the secure enclave in any way at all? If they do (or even if they don't) the software vendor will still most likely need to fill out an SAQ for an auditors signing an affidavit that their software is in compliance with whichever of the sections of PCI-DSS apply to their software.

Get a PCI consultant to review your systems and determine what you are responsible for in an auditor's eyes. And you are responsible for everything on your systems, whether it's vendor supplied or not. Because, it doesn't matter what the software vendor says. It matters was the auditor says.

From what I can tell, each device has to be registered by serial number with our processor. They then turn around and give this information to Verifone who makes a key pair specific to that device and gateway combination only. Our processor then has to arrange for that key to be installed on the device. From what I can tell our software provider does nothing but ingest status codes from it, they are not involved past shipping the hardware to us and helping getting it configured.

We don't even have access to the settings on the device. We are completely locked out of it. Can't even change the IP without getting several people involved!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
If you're big enough to need a QSA talk to them since your ROC is up to them anyway. If you're self-reporting use SAQ P2PE (after verifying that those terminals are the only point-of-interaction for credit cards in your environment, and that the terminals have been implemented per the vendor guidelines, and that they are actually PCI P2PE certified).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wyoak posted:

If you're big enough to need a QSA talk to them since your ROC is up to them anyway. If you're self-reporting use SAQ P2PE (after verifying that those terminals are the only point-of-interaction for credit cards in your environment, and that the terminals have been implemented per the vendor guidelines, and that they are actually PCI P2PE certified).

Not big enough to need QSA, self reporting.

Strangely no one I have talked to has been particularly helpful on this. Even our own processor, they just refer me to the PCI website and won't answer any questions.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

stevewm posted:

Not big enough to need QSA, self reporting.

Strangely no one I have talked to has been particularly helpful on this. Even our own processor, they just refer me to the PCI website and won't answer any questions.

Mainly because pci can't loving make up its mind what the hell its talking about and keeps changing its standards and definitions of words. It has it made it so you need to hire a consultant to make sure you are doing things right (which I recommend you try you hardest to do)

Such as what you can store about a card and what you can't. I think at one point it didn't mention cvv should not be stored which.... Could be interpreted as you could store cvvs.

Also processors give no fucks. They just want a check box to click saying the customer said they are good so they have plausible deniability when you share you mysql connection to the outside world.

Just think about it this way. Some good advice can be bad advice if you don't know the other factors of their situation.

If you give a person good advice to put a lock on the door to their house without asking enough follow-up questions they can blame you for giving bad advice even though they didn't say anything about how the door in question was a screen door.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 26, 2016

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Wish I would of known about this thread before heading to DerbyCon. Oh well.

I am finally getting around to getting my CISSP (going to a bootcamp next week) and I was curious what the best prep book out right now. There was a guy at Derbycon who was the author of supposedly one of the best but I can't remember his name.

Also, What is the best way to get into pen testing just for my own fun, not trying to go that way in my career route it is just something that I have always thought was interesting.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

fyallm posted:

Wish I would of known about this thread before heading to DerbyCon. Oh well.

I am finally getting around to getting my CISSP (going to a bootcamp next week) and I was curious what the best prep book out right now. There was a guy at Derbycon who was the author of supposedly one of the best but I can't remember his name.

Also, What is the best way to get into pen testing just for my own fun, not trying to go that way in my career route it is just something that I have always thought was interesting.

Like you want stuff to hack or want to learn how? If the former, try vulnhub. If the latter, check out Hacker's Playbook 2 or Georgia Weidman's Penetration Testing book.

How'd you like Derby? Are you local to the area?

Also, skip CISSP unless your management is going to pay for it and give you a raise for getting it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Doug posted:

Like you want stuff to hack or want to learn how? If the former, try vulnhub. If the latter, check out Hacker's Playbook 2 or Georgia Weidman's Penetration Testing book.

How'd you like Derby? Are you local to the area?

Also, skip CISSP unless your management is going to pay for it and give you a raise for getting it.

I want to learn how.

And I love Derby, I go every year, been to the past 4 I believe? I am about 2+ hours away, but I have a client that I usually try and go visit every few months there.

And management is paying for the bootcamp, exam and going to give me a raise.. I have put it off for as long as I possibly could :/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Doug posted:

This. I have zero certifications and have gotten this far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agreed. The only certs I have are ones that the company paid for. GIAC certs are nice, because it typically means a week off work and occasionally learning stuff at a SANS course (learning may vary depending on which course).

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Can anyone recommend a company to do an external security analysis of a very small financial firm that runs Linux?

There isn't really much to do - literally the only services visible to the internet are http and https on a single computer (Apache for a very basic website). My colleagues are insisting on it though, and they managed to get a quote for $5,000 from a place that seems to only do Windows stuff.

I've never had security testing done before, so I don't really know what pricing is reasonable, but I would think that somewhere in the $2500 range is more than reasonable considering how simple our setup is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that little Apache server on the network with the rest of your stuff?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Is that little Apache server on the network with the rest of your stuff?

No, it's separate and outside the firewall, and not connected to the internal network.

Droo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Droo posted:

No, it's separate and outside the firewall, and not connected to the internal network (even physically).

Do you patch it regularly?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you patch it regularly?

I would answer that, but I don't want to inadvertently end up with a $2500 bill for a completed security analysis.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Droo posted:

I would answer that, but I don't want to inadvertently end up with a $2500 bill for a completed security analysis.

:D

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Droo posted:

Can anyone recommend a company to do an external security analysis of a very small financial firm that runs Linux?

There isn't really much to do - literally the only services visible to the internet are http and https on a single computer (Apache for a very basic website). My colleagues are insisting on it though, and they managed to get a quote for $5,000 from a place that seems to only do Windows stuff.

I've never had security testing done before, so I don't really know what pricing is reasonable, but I would think that somewhere in the $2500 range is more than reasonable considering how simple our setup is.

In many cases getting an audit is to cover your arse in case of a breach, because you can show you took all reasonable steps to prevent it. The figure you pay is about how nice you want the watermark on the piece of paper to be

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
We did some PCI relevant stuff with USD. They were not retards, though I cannot vouch for them any deeper than that as I was not too closely involved.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

fyallm posted:

I want to learn how.

And I love Derby, I go every year, been to the past 4 I believe? I am about 2+ hours away, but I have a client that I usually try and go visit every few months there.

And management is paying for the bootcamp, exam and going to give me a raise.. I have put it off for as long as I possibly could :/

Since you are taking a bootcamp, they should be drilling most of the stuff and give you material to research later (since all the students in there are in the same situation as you)

I used Eleventh Hour CISSP for refreshing my head.

https://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Hour-CISSP%C2%AE-Third-Study/dp/0128112484/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477844800&sr=8-4&keywords=cissp

There is also the Pocket Prep smartphone guides which really worked for me because it let's you focus on domains instead of doing the whole test repeatedly. In my case, I worked a good while on a contracted project where the product was chip cards. I picked up lots, and I mean LOTS, of crypto during that time. There is one domain for that kind of stuff that I could build a test WITHOUT that crypto domain.

I also liked the fact you can configure the tests to show you the correct answer along with a reason why it was the correct and why the other answers were incorrect (though they can be bullshit, like "Answer A is wrong because it's not Answer B".)

edit: Oh, forgot to remind you. The CISSP will have questions with some of the answers NOT from the domain that look good enough to trick people who did not really study.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 30, 2016

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
:yotj:
Senior Research Analyst

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Senior Research Analyst

Yay me too! Senior Security Engineer. gently caress you oil and gas market.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EVIL Gibson posted:

Since you are taking a bootcamp, they should be drilling most of the stuff and give you material to research later (since all the students in there are in the same situation as you)

I used Eleventh Hour CISSP for refreshing my head.

https://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Hour-CISSP%C2%AE-Third-Study/dp/0128112484/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477844800&sr=8-4&keywords=cissp

There is also the Pocket Prep smartphone guides which really worked for me because it let's you focus on domains instead of doing the whole test repeatedly. In my case, I worked a good while on a contracted project where the product was chip cards. I picked up lots, and I mean LOTS, of crypto during that time. There is one domain for that kind of stuff that I could build a test WITHOUT that crypto domain.

I also liked the fact you can configure the tests to show you the correct answer along with a reason why it was the correct and why the other answers were incorrect (though they can be bullshit, like "Answer A is wrong because it's not Answer B".)

edit: Oh, forgot to remind you. The CISSP will have questions with some of the answers NOT from the domain that look good enough to trick people who did not really study.

Thanks for all.of that.. Just finished the bootcamp and still not sure how I feel about it. Grabbed the pocket prep app, taking the test on December 2nd, so time to stuff my brain with Time Multiplexing and Time domain reflectometry

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Senior Research Analyst

I get quoted in articles as a senior engineer that's kinda :yotj:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

I get quoted in articles as a senior engineer that's kinda :yotj:

They just mean that you're old.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

"Senior" is in my title and I am only in my early 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I'm 26 and look 16 if I shave :smith: