Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

Wrong on both counts. Already explained why.

You said "Google Ron Paul", that's not explaining anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

The ones that renounce their citizenship, yes.
nope

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm starting to see some ridiculous poo poo on my facebook feed as the election day gets closer, but not from the side I expected:

Did he really rape a 13 year old?

I believe it's a civil suit of questionable veracity. The fraud thing is probably real however.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

He doesn't have to owe back taxes, he merely has to visit the US for the month and then the US will treat him as a US citizen for taxation purposes that year. Even if he renounced five years ago and even if he is totally in the clear with the IRS, he could still owe money on totally foreign-earned income because he has the audacity to both renounce his US citizenship and then visit his family in the US.

so then don't visit for an entire month

Kilroy posted:

Let's get the fucker, right?

it's incredible that you're getting upset that people don't find sympathy for your extremely unlikely scenario when you were completely willing to write off millions of us citizens who live in parts of the us you don't like

what is wrong with your brain

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/colin_powell_i_m_with_her

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

You have not proven otherwise.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

porfiria posted:

I believe it's a civil suit of questionable veracity. The fraud thing is probably real however.

Uh the fraud thing isn't "probably" real, it's completely real. It's the Trump U case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

porfiria posted:

The fraud thing is also the trial in which he accused the judge of being biased thanks to his "Mexican heritage", then failed to have that accusation ruled inadmissible :munch:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

He doesn't have to owe back taxes, he merely has to visit the US for the month and then the US will treat him as a US citizen for taxation purposes that year. Even if he renounced five years ago and even if he is totally in the clear with the IRS, he could still owe money on totally foreign-earned income because he has the audacity to both renounce his US citizenship and then visit his family in the US.

Let's get the fucker, right?

:agreed:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

porfiria posted:

Yeah, you'd think the fraud thing would be enough, but I guess it isn't as eye catching as child rape.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

You said "Google Ron Paul", that's not explaining anything.
you keep saying "my 401k" as though the US is only going to tax assets that are in the US

that's not the case

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

boner confessor posted:

so then don't visit for an entire month

it's incredible that you're getting upset that people don't find sympathy for your extremely unlikely scenario when you were completely willing to write off millions of us citizens who live in parts of the us you don't like

I dunno, but I'm still waiting to see if he's capable of acknowledging that the 'poor people' with $2m in retirement assets are actually above the 95th percentile as far as net worth in the US goes. :allears:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
CNN giving no fucks

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm starting to see some ridiculous poo poo on my facebook feed as the election day gets closer, but not from the side I expected:

There's a good write-up of it here but the short of it is no, probably not.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Quorum posted:

Wait, let me get this straight. So you are postulating an average joe who has retired abroad and renounced his citizenship who then returns and spends a sizeable amount of time in the country he has renounced, enjoying its services (such as they are), and your argument is that this is a real situation that normal non-rich people find themselves in?

Yeah, he's not using "renounce" in any way that it's actually defined as.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

Yea, at least those red state fuckers are willing to stay in the country.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

I dunno, but I'm still waiting to see if he's capable of acknowledging that the 'poor people' with $2m in retirement assets are actually above the 95th percentile as far as net worth in the US goes. :allears:

look we're just talking about your average retired joe sixpack who renounced his us citizenship to protect considerable foreign assets but can only afford to vacation in the united states for a paltry one month out of every year. you know, salt of the earth factory types

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Just wanna chime in that as someone working overseas, having to double pay my taxes when I'm not consuming/using/benefiting from the resources of the American government really sucks. I'm paying for taxes in an economy I'm not a part of and it adds up with the taxes I pay here.
That I'm obligated to pay taxes for simply being born somewhere is ridiculous, and that other countries don't expect the same of their citizens is telling.

:smith:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

man all these Canadian and Mexican fat cats who happened to be born on vacation in the US or have an American parent, let's get em

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Queen Gnome posted:

Just wanna chime in that as someone working overseas, having to double pay my taxes when I'm not consuming/using/benefiting from the resources of the American government like healthcare, schools, roads, govt benefits, etc really sucks. I'm paying for taxes in an economy I'm not a part of and it adds up with the taxes I pay here.
That I'm obligated to pay taxes for simply being born somewhere is ridiculous, and that other countries don't expect the same of their citizens is telling.

:smith:

Clinton will probably change this. If she doesn't then it's worth it to keep the "Born here, You Are American" thing.

"Born here, You Are American, and You Will Pay Until You Aren't".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone know if the pollster is any good?

It's Jimmy Carville's shop. Going to have a left lean more likely than not.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Gail Wynand posted:

I opened a bank account at Citibank in Singapore awhile back and it took 6 weeks and 10-15 phone calls to handle all the FATCA paperwork. I'm not rich, this was just a basic checking account for direct deposit, everything was either spent on living expenses or wired back to the US.

This was at a US bank so you can imagine what it's like at foreign banks.

It sucks. But try and open a bank account as a foreign national in the United States or the United Kingdom or Europe. It's much harder.

Also, for the future: it helps if the institution you work for has a relationship with a bank that offers accounts for foreign nationals. Which might be Citibank in Singapore or it might be some other bank. Or you can get a schwab investor checking account and withdraw cash in the local currency with no fee and a great conversion rate so you can deposit it in a local bank (That's the hard part).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone know if the pollster is any good?

They are a Democratic pollster and somewhat reliable. Most of their polling is private, so their public polls tend to be outliers that look very good for Dem candidates. They also do a lot of issue polling and push polling.

I haven't looked at the questions or ordering for this specific poll to know if that is the case here though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

My Linux Rig posted:

Quite possibly. There's a civil suit upcoming with a high profile attorney(who served as Casey Anthony's defense attorney), and two Jane Does, one of which claims to have worked for Jeffery Epstein to find young girls for his sex parties. They allege Jane Doe #1 had consensual encounters with both Epstein and Trump about three or four times which ended in a rape the last time when she refused their advances. The star witness is the second Jane Doe who worked for Epstein and claims to have recruited the girl when she was thirteen.

None of this is verifiable since neither have a public identity, so either or both could not even exist, until a couple weeks ago a real well known and respected attorney picked up the case which had made many think there may be something to this.

Regardless of the merits of the case, the image is true in that Donald Trump is going to be on (civil) trial for the allegations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

My Linux Rig posted:

When you see something about how ridiculously corrupt and terrible Trump is, chances are it's actually low balling how bad he's gotten. Trump is beyond parody in his awfulness.

If he was any less rich and white, he'd have been in jail decades ago.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 25, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

You have not proven otherwise.
Since you're the one who's totally fine with ridiculous legislation that provably does not do what it's supposed to do in targeting actually rich people who actually do avoid taxes by renouncing, and for which the consequences for people who fall in the "ordinary people with ordinary retirement plans" range will be pretty bad - no I think you're the one who should outline what is the goddamn point of these taxes and what, since it was brought up, what exactly the US government (and, maybe, Eritrea) is doing for its citizens that justifies it.

I mean you literally said that you agree that US citizens should be barred from opening overseas bank accounts. At first blush it seemed like hyperbole but maybe not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

I mean you literally said that you agree that US citizens should be barred from opening overseas bank accounts. At first blush it seemed like hyperbole but maybe not.

Yeah, the rich ones should be barred.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Geostomp posted:

When you see something about how ridiculously corrupt and terrible Trump is, chances are it's actually low balling how bad he's gotten. Trump is beyond parody in his awfulness.

There is also the revelation he had cocaine parties with 15 year olds.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Weaksauce. Take Project Pluto and make nuclear ramjet hoover cars.

Make
F-Zero
Real

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Themagicalgoat posted:

It sucks. But try and open a bank account as a foreign national in the United States or the United Kingdom or Europe. It's much harder.
No it isn't, I've helped foreign nationals open US bank accounts and it is not nearly as difficult. The most annoying part is getting an SSN, which you may not even need (and in the case above I had the Singapore equivalent already.)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
should be a separate thread for the asinine citizenship-renouncer-taxes derail, tbh

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Kilroy posted:

Since you're the one who's totally fine with ridiculous legislation that provably does not do what it's supposed to do in targeting actually rich people who actually do avoid taxes by renouncing, and for which the consequences for people who fall in the "ordinary people with ordinary retirement plans" range will be pretty bad - no I think you're the one who should outline what is the goddamn point of these taxes and what, since it was brought up, what exactly the US government (and, maybe, Eritrea) is doing for its citizens that justifies it.

De facto, they already are except in tax havens. Try and open an account in the United Kingdom outside of very strict parameters and you will fail. Just the same way an illegal immigrant will have a difficult time opening a bank account in the United States unless they have forged documentation.

Do you have money in Panama or the Cayman Islands or something? Or do you just want to?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Retro42 posted:

Just had a thought. Do you think Team Trump is even going to write a concession speech? If the last few days are any indication the core people seem 100000% sure it'll work out in the end for them.
He just opened a rally in Florida by attacking Fox News for saying the crowd wasn't big enough (literally it was his opening line), then claimed that the early voting lines are overwhelmingly Trump supporters but the media are refusing to say this in order to suppress his vote. Then he pointed to the press pool and called them 'phony lowlifes'. If he's bought into his own nonsense as much as he seems to have, he's definitely not got one written.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

PhazonLink posted:

Weaksauce. Take Project Pluto and make nuclear ramjet hoover cars.

Make
F-Zero
Real

there hasn't been a new f-zero game since bush's first term

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Gail Wynand posted:

No it isn't, I've helped foreign nationals open US bank accounts and it is not nearly as difficult. The most annoying part is getting an SSN, which you may not even need (and in the case above I had the Singapore equivalent already.)

In what context? I've already explained if the institution you work for has a relationship with a foreign bank, it's easier. Foreign students, for example, can get a foreign student checking account. But in the past 5 years there has been a big crackdown on giving foreign nationals bank accounts unless they do so through official (i.e. expensive and time consuming) channels.

The exceptions are Non-FDIC insured accounts like the schwab checking account I mentioned, but even those are coming under more surveillance than in previous years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Renouncing your citizenship is considered the same as liquidating all of your assets and is specifically designed to be harsh to make sure that people aren't using it to avoid taxes. It sucks for edge cases, but they are mostly edge cases.

If you renounce you have a one-time (potentially large) tax bill, but are not obligated to pay U.S. taxes anymore. If you have tax-deferred assets, they are tax deferred through U.S. law for U.S. citizens. You aren't paying new taxes on assets that would have been tax-free. You're paying taxes in a possibly tax inefficient way.

The requirements were specifically made harsh, because people like to live in the U.S. but do not like to pay taxes. Previously, you had people renounce their citizenship, but then spend 5 months in Manhattan a year and avoid taxes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 25, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

The ones that renounce their citizenship, yes.

Canadian weighing in here. As you might imagine there are a lot of Canadians that have semi-dual (it is complicated but basically silly) citizenship with the States from parents. You can spend the first 55 years of your life living in Canada, and maybe only being idly aware that you are technically a citizen of the States. It doesn't really matter since you didn't even need a passport until 9/11.

Then in the last few years the US decides that they are going to start cracking down on people evading taxes in foreign jurisdictions. (lmao, how is that going anyways?) Suddenly this theoretical citizenship becomes very real and you cannot get a bank account in Canada, or if you can it is a massive ball ache.

Also the IRS calls you can says that you technically are 40 years behind in filing taxes, and will need to file taxes in a country you've potentially never been in until you die. It is quite likely that you owe nothing, but it is basically loving up your life.

If you think rich Americans are the ones trying to renounce, you don't know much about it. This is huge business in Canada at the moment.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

The rape thing is... kind of vince foster level stuff, at this stage. People who hate him and are willing to believe the absolute worst about him, because they hate him, will buy it. Everyone else will wait for any kind of supporting evidence.
Like, you know how when the sexual assault allegations came out after the tape, and every one of them was painstakingly researched with corroborating accounts from witnesses? This isn't that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

There is also the revelation he had cocaine parties with 15 year olds.

That was just Ivanka having a slumber party though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Colin Powell just held up Clinton as his candidate of choice.
I don't think anyone cares what Colin Powell thinks, not even black Republicans.

• Locked thread