Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rap Music and Dope posted:

What are good movies that deal with "whats it mean to be human?". Transhumanism? Is that the word? Ambiguity preferred but not required.

Bladerunner, Ghost in the shell, etc.

IIRC, AI: Artificial Intelligence handles this pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

What are good movies that deal with "whats it mean to be human?". Transhumanism? Is that the word? Ambiguity preferred but not required.

It makes a simple story.

Maybe this one is about it in reverse or something, Transpuppetism.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 12, 2016

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I saw it, and frankly I'm ready: the director of it is a son of a bitch but that's not the point. 40% of you white Americans will elect a man for president who is an avowed rapist and white nationalist. For president! Let alone a man making a mediocre semi fictionalized nat turner biopic for you to concern troll in your clickbait articles. The Roman Polanskis and Woody Allens of the world persevere, and god knows how many celebrities actually directly responsible for paid off manslaughters. How many of you pieces of garbage still watch and adore the films of Klaus Klinski? That's not the point. Demographics dictate that another reckoning is coming. I await it with baited breath.

We've already elected, at minimum, three rapist presidents, depending on how you feel about having an affair with a slave (it's rape btw)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DeimosRising posted:

We've already elected, at minimum, three rapist presidents, depending on how you feel about having an affair with a slave (it's rape btw)

Leonard Bernstein even wrote a song about it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Yaws posted:

How is Carpenters Christine?

Alexandra Paul gives one of the worst line readings in cinematic history with her "God, I hate rock and roll."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Re: transhumanism suggestions

Lucy
Transcendence
Bicentennial Man

They're all movies about the boundaries between human and AI (not literally an AI in Lucy, but pretty close to it at times).

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

I guess in a lot of cases that's simply a matter of interpretation, but I'd argue these could, to one degree or another, probably satisfy the requirements:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Solaris
Robocop
Pinocchio (On the "good movies" requirement, it doesn't really resonate with me for some reason, but there's no denying it has its admirers)
Beauty and the Beast (go for the Cocteau version)
The Fly

with a bonus TV suggestion:
I Sing the Body Electric, a Ray Bradbury-written episode of The Twilight Zone (and, in fact, there'll be any number of TZs that touch on that theme).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Johnny Five is alive too you guys!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Surely Prometheus counts, too, though whether that's "good" or not is in the eye of the goon

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ex Machina

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, while it was kind of underwelming, Automata, with Antonio Banderas deals with similar themes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Omega Doom, starring Rutger Hauer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Slipstream, with Bob Peck, Mark Hamill, Bill Paxton, F. Murray Abraham, Robbie Coltrane, and Ben Kingsley.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hot Bot with Zack Pearlman, Doug Haley, Cynthia Kirchner, David Shackelford, Anthony Anderson, Danny Masterson, and Donald Faison

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Nemesis with Olivier Gruner, Tim Thomerson, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Brian James, and Deborah Shelton

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The Academy-Award-nominated Heartbeeps with Andy Kaufman, Bernadette Peters, and Randy Quaid

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's the most at odds you've been with the consensus critical view? I'm watching Sausage Party and it's blowing my mind how something so bad got 83% on RT. It's also sad how many people I like are involved with it, but I guess films like these are an easy paycheck for most involved.

Maybe if I was 12 again I'd dig it, as no doubt that's the target audience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Way of the Gun is probably the movie with the lowest tomato rating that I love. Avengers is probably the highest rated movie that I hate.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's the most at odds you've been with the consensus critical view? I'm watching Sausage Party and it's blowing my mind how something so bad got 83% on RT. It's also sad how many people I like are involved with it, but I guess films like these are an easy paycheck for most involved.

One that comes to mind is Maniac (2013). It has a 49%, yet I would consider it one of the best horror movies of the last decade. I guess lots of mainstream critics are turned off by grisly horror, regardless of how masterfully done it is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Way of the Gun is probably the movie with the lowest tomato rating that I love. Avengers is probably the highest rated movie that I hate.

Holy poo poo, why does Way of the Gun have such a low rating? at least the audience rating is respectable. That's a loving fantastic film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo, why does Way of the Gun have such a low rating? at least the audience rating is respectable. That's a loving fantastic film.

There's no real protagonists, everyone is a horrible person except Juliette Lewis and she has no agency. Also it's lack of exposition could make parts a bit confusing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ryan Phillippe and Benicio del Toro are definitely the protagonists...

Edit: and your right about Juliet Lewis having no agency for most of the story, but her 30 seconds of agency at the beginning of the film is what makes the rest of the story happen. She makes a choice that sets off the plot.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 21, 2016

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's the most at odds you've been with the consensus critical view?

Le Samouraï is at 100% on RT. I could not understand why things were not happening at all during the entire movie. There was a 10 minute sequence where a couple of policemen went into an apartment, placed a bug behind some curtains, and left, without exchanging a word. Ten loving minutes for a scene that should have been 20 seconds. The whole movie is like that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
loving millennials :rolleyes:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

2001: A Space Odyssey should have been, at most, 27 minutes long. Why did we need all those shots of space ships and monkeys where literally nothing happens?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably the 1998 Avengers. I love that film. The studio editing hurts it but it's got a whimsical, fantastical quality that sets it apart from other action films of the era.

Not much on the "overrated" side. I didn't much like The Man Who Laughs I suppose.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought The Revenant was pretty lousy. Leo's performance in particular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dokmo posted:

Le Samouraï is at 100% on RT. I could not understand why things were not happening at all during the entire movie. There was a 10 minute sequence where a couple of policemen went into an apartment, placed a bug behind some curtains, and left, without exchanging a word. Ten loving minutes for a scene that should have been 20 seconds. The whole movie is like that.

I loving can't even.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Maxwell Lord posted:

Probably the 1998 Avengers.

Take out the horrifying 990's cgi and it still stands up. Leave it in it's a shitshow.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If you're a moderately fit actor cast for say, a superhero movie or CW show, do studios generally pay for the insane getting-ripped training regime or is it up to you to invest in / your agent to bargain over?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chop Sunni posted:

If you're a moderately fit actor cast for say, a superhero movie or CW show, do studios generally pay for the insane getting-ripped training regime or is it up to you to invest in / your agent to bargain over?

Not sure about the TV shows, but I'm almost positive the movie studios pay for trainers and dieticians. Alexander Skarsgard had an incredibly expensive private chef for Tarzan who wasn't allowed to use any of the ingredients that make food taste good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just wrote a big long YouTube comment (I know, I know) about a way of interpreting The Fountain that I prefer over the standard reading, and was curious if anyone else subscribes to that theory.

My preferred interpretation is that, as a way grieving, the Tom finishes Izzies' book by creating the fictional astronaut version of Tom. I know that the popular (and in my opinion surface-level) interpretation of the film is that the astronaut's story is the true continued story of the present day version of Tom, and that only the conquistador's story is fictional - but to me it feels like the film is attempting to be more poetic and metaphorical than that.

After Izzie's funeral, Tom finds himself in deep grief. As he grieves, he remembers the life that he and Izzie shared, lending to the nonlinear nature of the film. He begins to understand that her book was about their relationship ("My conquistador, always conquering"), about how she understood his need to protect her (the fictional Tomas's dedication and love), and that she not just forgave him for not being with her toward the end, but that she thinks it is noble and beautiful that he wants to try.

At different points in the film, Tom both accepts and rejects Izzie's offer to go for a walk. The one where he stays and opens up Donovan represents what Tom actually did in the past, and the one where he rejects that part of himself and follows her outside represents what the grieving Tom now knows: he should have been with her toward he end, as Lillian was.

So he plants a tree on her grave with a seed, and then begins to finish her book. The only way he knows how to finish the book is by filtering it through his own grief and inserting himself, Izzie, and their cancer journey into the story so that he can craft a fantasy: a future where that seed grows and becomes Izzy again, and he can fulfill her dream of them meeting together again in Xiabulba.

He combines her writing, their lives together, and his fantasy into a single narrative - essentially, the text of the film as we viewed it is that narrative. She is the author of the conquistador portions of the book, he is the author of the present and science-fiction portions of the book, and they are combined together into a singular narrative that acts as closure for Tom.

In his ending to the story, the character of Tom never gets over Izzie's death. He considers death a disease and becomes obsessed with it. That version of himself succeeds and lives for hundreds of years, eventually taking the tree that grew from Izzie's grave into space, destined for Xiabulba so that they could be together again in death.

This is why the ring reappears out of nowhere for the astronaut directly before the supernova: it's Tom forgiving himself for losing the ring, giving himself the closure he could not get in life. In the scientific, logical world that is set up by this film, the ring could not suddenly appear in the brambles of a space ship hundreds of years after it was lost in a laboratory. That's because it's a fictional metaphor that present-day Tom has written.

Astronaut Tom's plan wasn't to resurrect Izzie via visiting Xiabulba, it was simply a symbol of the real Tom accepting her dream of what the afterlife could be: the two them meeting again at Xiabulba to live forever, now filtered through his scientific mind.

It would be far too coincidental that the actual tree of life his wife just happens to be writing a book about truly exists and that his laboratory just happened to get a sample of it from the rainforest. This is because it doesn't exist, and the lab doesn't have a sample of it. It's Tom imagining that the Guatemalan tree lab sample is the actual tree of life, building a literal connection between the real version of Tom and the fictional version that Izzy had written.

This is why the astronaut appears in the temple as First Father - it's Tom's writing, finishing her conquistador's character arc through his own means, proving his acceptance of her death. Her version of Tom (Tomas) and his version of Tom (astronaut) then die the same way as both the real version of Izzie and Tom's fictionalized version of her (the tree). All die exactly as First Father did in the Mayan book that Izzie showed Tom in the museum: death as an act of creation. This is Tom understanding what Izzie was going through as she was dying, finally hearing what she was trying to tell him about her vision of the afterlife and why she wasn't afraid anymore.

The film isn't simply about accepting your own death, the film is about not letting grief consume you. It's Tom understanding that death isn't something to be defeated, it's something to be accepted, it's beautiful, it's an act of creation.

Is there anything in this that wouldn't make more sense than that popular interpretation?

I know the film is intentionally open to interpretation, and in fact parts of this could be simultaneously true and untrue, but it just seems like most people simply subscribe to a surface-level reading that leaves out a lot of the film's complexity. I normally would just go "it's both, the film was meant to simultaneously be true for both interpretations" but Aronofsky insists that there's one correct interpretation in interviews and commentary.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 23, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

feedmyleg posted:

I just wrote a big long YouTube comment (I know, I know) about a way of interpreting The Fountain that I prefer over the standard reading, and was curious if anyone else subscribes to that theory.

My preferred interpretation is that, as a way grieving, the Tom finishes Izzies' book by creating the fictional astronaut version of Tom. I know that the popular (and in my opinion surface-level) interpretation of the film is that the astronaut's story is the true continued story of the present day version of Tom, and that only the conquistador's story is fictional - but to me it feels like the film is attempting to be more poetic and metaphorical than that.

I know the film is intentionally open to interpretation, and in fact parts of this could be simultaneously true and untrue, but it just seems like most people simply subscribe to a surface-level reading that leaves out a lot of the film's complexity. I normally would just go "it's both, the film was meant to simultaneously be true for both interpretations" but Aronofsky insists that there's one correct interpretation in interviews and commentary.
I wasn't even aware there was a significant group of viewers that thought Present Tom became the literal astronaut or that the south american plant was the literal tree of life. It's always seemed obvious to me that Future Tom was Present Tom's way of ending Izzie's story: Through death, rebirth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I always assumed all three stories were simultaneously true and untrue, Izzie's story was a fictional account of real people. I haven't actually seen the movie since it was in theaters.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Yeah, astronaut story is definitely metaphorical. I'm not sold on it being him literally completing her book so much as just representing his denying and eventually accepting her death and his grief, but the meaning is pretty much the same either way. It drove me up the wall back when it first came out and all the reviews talked about how it was about reincarnation and time travel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

Take out the horrifying 990's cgi and it still stands up. Leave it in it's a shitshow.

eh, the mechanical bees look fake as Hell but the CG isn't so extensive as to ruin it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i watched the lost boys last night for the first time and that is basically the perfect movie. was it succesfull when it came out because im surprised there was never a sequel

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Empress Brosephine posted:

i watched the lost boys last night for the first time and that is basically the perfect movie. was it succesfull when it came out because im surprised there was never a sequel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Boys:_The_Tribe

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's be honest here....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lost Boys just sounds like a McElroy Bros joint now.