Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Am I the only one who's reasonably pleased with how the AI works? It's not amazing, but definitely improved from Civ 5. Maybe there should be a toggle to disable hidden agendas, but everything worked out fine in my one game so far.

i think it still is pretty bad but better than it was when they first introduced 1UPT. i think it changes a lot if you play on a longer time scale than standard, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
I have a huge problem trying to load a game or even start the game seems to just stop responding. Anyone else having this issue?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Antti posted:

No. This is possibly my biggest peeve with the game right now because if you don't counter-spy your production districts WILL get sabotaged to poo poo. At least it's not quite as bad as Trade Route Hell in BE.

Both trade and spy screens need a "repeat last route until I decide otherwise" button and an overview window that shows you what your other traders and spies are doing.

The spy thing infuriates me. It's so, so bad. The idea of placing counterspies on the map and having them protect adjacent districts plays into the whole district mini-game in an interesting way, but the current implementation is loving dire. Having more than a couple counterspies in your empire is insane tedium right now. Either have spies be regular units like religious units or have a completely abstract 'off board' system. Or I guess let us click an option to have them stay where they're told without having to be reassigned to the same hex every 5 loving turns.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

After a few days with the game (and one Prince/Standard speed game to completion) I like this Civ. But it's not exactly what I play Civ for.

Some dudes play Civ to min/max and treat it like a super Euro board game. And I get that and sometimes I play like that. But the reason I have several hundred hours Civ games over the past 20 years is because I want to play it like it's an emperor RPG. Civ IV was the apex game for that. Lots of things were abstracted but it was a game about managing an empire.

Civ VI is badly in need of a fat patch and an expansion pack like all new Civs but even if the game gets really tight I'm not sure it'll drag me away from Civ IV. There's so much dead time and empty turns, and the meaningful decisions are so few and far between. It's like a giant game of Agricola or something. It's the game-iest Civ game.

I've enjoyed my two games of Civ VI, but yeah... I think IV is, and is likely to remain, the pinnacle of the series. V & VI have bright points and do somethings much better, but if I only got to take one Civ game to the proverbial desert island with me it would be IV for a host of reasons.

I kind of feel like for Civ VII they should throw more out and start from scratch. Shake things up more. District regions like Endless Legend? Other crazy poo poo? I dunno.

Bubbacub posted:

Am I the only one who's reasonably pleased with how the AI works? It's not amazing, but definitely improved from Civ 5. Maybe there should be a toggle to disable hidden agendas, but everything worked out fine in my one game so far.

I haven't noticed any improvement in the tactical AI. Every fight with the AI has involved them doing the standard ineffectual shuffle before being annihilated. :smith:

I like everything more about one unit per tile conceptually, but the AI is so bad at it that I'd rather just go back to doom stacks.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Are you Brazil folk with ridiculous rain forests waiting till you discover a massive one before plopping down your first city or is that just luck of the draw? Do Civs with tile type bonuses have a larger chance of starting near them? I assumed there's no value in Civs like tundra lover Russia guy or rainforest Brazil lord if you rely totally on the RNG for a big start

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Simple Simon posted:

I have a huge problem trying to load a game or even start the game seems to just stop responding. Anyone else having this issue?

Tell Windows Defender to exclude the Civ install directory. Common problem, mine started doing it tonight after working since Thursday :shrug:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Madcosby posted:

Are you Brazil folk with ridiculous rain forests waiting till you discover a massive one before plopping down your first city or is that just luck of the draw? Do Civs with tile type bonuses have a larger chance of starting near them? I assumed there's no value in Civs like tundra lover Russia guy or rainforest Brazil lord if you rely totally on the RNG for a big start

It was my second start for Brazil so I just stumbled into it. And I've never seen a rain forest that huge in any game so far. Pure dumb luck. It lets you break the game over your knee but it's SP.

Now if this was an MP setup I think people'd be rightly annoyed (and I'd get dogpiled and lose :v:)

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this has been answered before, but this thread moves way too quickly to keep up:

I captured India's capital in my game, and then made them cede it to me in the peace deal. However, i can't realistically build anything, the city screen says I have 25 production per turn, but it will take me 20 turns to repair a library (60/80 production). It looks like I'm getting like 5% of the base production, and there's no obvious explanation as to why this is happening or how I can fix it. Are conquered cities supposed to be this crippled for the whole game?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

????????????????

Why would they do it like this and not tell you about it?

What determines first impression by the way?

I have a feeling first impression is affected by you hammering past the diplomacy screen upon first contact and defaulting to selecting the 'gently caress you' option instead of the 'welcome to my home' option. I've noticed it less when I've taken the care to let the idiots animation finish.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Palleon posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but this thread moves way too quickly to keep up:

I captured India's capital in my game, and then made them cede it to me in the peace deal. However, i can't realistically build anything, the city screen says I have 25 production per turn, but it will take me 20 turns to repair a library (60/80 production). It looks like I'm getting like 5% of the base production, and there's no obvious explanation as to why this is happening or how I can fix it. Are conquered cities supposed to be this crippled for the whole game?

There's a happiness stat and such buried in the little info screen. Have a look at that, it's probably wanting to rebel.

Has anyone that isn't playing an Islands map actually built a boat? Caravels and etc take such a ridiculously long time I find myself never bothering with them even though I had loads in previous games on continental maps.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

There's a happiness stat and such buried in the little info screen. Have a look at that, it's probably wanting to rebel.

Has anyone that isn't playing an Islands map actually built a boat? Caravels and etc take such a ridiculously long time I find myself never bothering with them even though I had loads in previous games on continental maps.

It says I'm happy (6/5 amenities).

It does have a housing shortage, does that impact production as well as growth?

Edit: I closed the game and reloaded the save, that seems to have fixed it. Didn't realize I was playing a Paradox game.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 25, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Taear posted:

Which reminds me, I hope the Terra map script makes a return, where there is a large empty continent where no civs spawn. I always enjoyed these in Civ IV, even if the AI didn't really exploit it. Map style didn't really work in V because of the harsh expansion limits.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Fintilgin posted:

I've enjoyed my two games of Civ VI, but yeah... I think IV is, and is likely to remain, the pinnacle of the series. V & VI have bright points and do somethings much better, but if I only got to take one Civ game to the proverbial desert island with me it would be IV for a host of reasons.

I kind of feel like for Civ VII they should throw more out and start from scratch. Shake things up more. District regions like Endless Legend? Other crazy poo poo? I dunno.

Yes. Civ IV is still the best of the series. Civ V is a contender for the worst. I think Civ VI is actually decent tho, but starting with Civ V the Civ series does seem euro board game-y. I haven't really felt the ~magic~ of the previous Civs where i actually feel like I'm creating a civilization and expanding and empire.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

The long-standing tradition of complaining that the AI in civ games is trying to win instead of roleplay as the "essence of tokyo circa 1960" or whatever is the funniest thing and basically describes the problem with what people want from CIV. It must work as a game first or all of the fancy roleplay and historical docudramas you make in your head about washington's archers taking down hammurabi aren't going to be engaging for anyone who has played a game before in their lives.

The AI doesn't need to play to win in order for Civ to work as a "role play" experience -- it just needs to have goals. Some of the best strategy games have AI that can't actually play the game (because we can't make AI that good) but execute short- and medium-term plans to not lose. See Civ IV for a perfect example.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
At this point the only reason I would ever boot up Civ 4 instead of 5 or 6 is to play Fall From Heaven 2.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
as if goons play anything but the absolute latest and newest and shiniest

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like the game and the early game is certainly challenging, but its frustrating to know they are bullshit with their warrior spam. Yeah OK, you made 8 warriors by turn 20 all by yourself, Peter, I'm sure thats a thing.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I must be stupid. How do you reassign which tiles your citizens work?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I like this game even though the AI is stupid

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Peas and Rice posted:

I must be stupid. How do you reassign which tiles your citizens work?

Select your city, press the "Manage Citizens" button in the array above the yields bar.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
If you are worried about another civ attacking a city state you like, take some useless troops/great musicians/scouts etc. and place one or two in front of the city state. CPU can't attack your units, and it's not smart enough to do anything but dance around your units while the city state can slowly dismantle their army with their catapults that they always seem to build.

I also had it happen where Peter sent a poo poo ton of apostles and missionaries through my territory and then just stopped moving them for 20 turns. During that time, France declared War, but couldn't' get to my city, but stayed in perfect range of my crossbowmen.

I like aspects of this game, but so far the AI is less than impressive on all sides of the ball. Also I want a earth map :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wonder if lowering any range unit with a range >1 would help the combat AI at all. It loving sucks at dealing with archers in any era.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brannock posted:

Select your city, press the "Manage Citizens" button in the array above the yields bar.

It bothers me that there are now separate screens/tabs for all this. Used to be that you could switch production, buy a thing with gold, buy a thing with faith, or reassign citizens all on one screen... and now there is a separate screen for each of these actions... utterly baffling design decision.

It also bothers me that each item in the production menu has a gigantic row height just to accommodate the fancy icon, even though the font size is tiny so it looks all out of proportion and gives the list a scroll bar when there it reaches a staggering 9 items.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ City screen all hosed up for sure, painful to use

I really like the civics/government system though. It would be fun to see it more fleshed out. Seems a little too easy to just swap everything around as needed, because civics come regularly enough. Maybe a heritage(?) boost, where running a particular civic long enough gives a slowly building culture/science/gold boost that is wiped out when you swap that card out?

It would be cool if there were some government unique/blocked civics that were extra powerful. It would be cool to have unique civics you could use only as a monarchy, or only as a theocracy. Maybe some should be blocked too, because as amusing as it was to be running a Communist government with Merchant Confederation and Free Market.... um....

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 25, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I think I found the thing that bugs the poo poo out of me the most about the game. Other than all the weird UI issues. And the blah quotes. And the weird fact that coal isn't revealed until late in the game. No, it's this:

quote:

From the first stirrings of life beneath water...to the great beasts of the Stone Age...to man taking his first upright steps...

That's not even in correct chronological order! Earliest stone tools date to 3.5MYA, our ancestors at that time were fully bipedal, a trait which evolved ~6MYA! This makes it sound like we were flint-knapping axes and knives while still walking around on our knuckles.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

LordSloth posted:

I have a feeling first impression is affected by you hammering past the diplomacy screen upon first contact and defaulting to selecting the 'gently caress you' option instead of the 'welcome to my home' option. I've noticed it less when I've taken the care to let the idiots animation finish.

I attend every civ's feast or whatever. I like the animations so I watch them play out. I've never been a person who hates getting contacted by the AI because talking to historical leaders has always been a feature in my eyes rather than some kind of dreaded curse.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Brannock posted:

I see, OK, thanks.

I gotta say I really like the way food yields blend into trees and grasslands.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I just now realized that they have removed Golden Ages from the game... The fuckers :ssj:

edit: add custom palace building back in too. And leader models that change with eras. A new Civ game released in 2016 should have everything that was awesome about previous games, dammit.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 25, 2016

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

Captain Oblivious posted:

At this point the only reason I would ever boot up Civ 4 instead of 5 or 6 is to play Fall From Heaven 2.

Same! I liked IV well enough and put hundreds of hours into BtS, but I found V (after the expansions) to be much more enjoyable to actually play. The need for people on the internet to shame people for not holding the obviously correct opinion (theirs) wrt games makes threads like this hard to read :(

Someone needs to make a FFH2-like mod for V, that was so much dumb fun, especially the weird terraforming civs, and the one that let you literally summon god if you brought on the ice-pocalypse. So goofy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PirateBob posted:

I just now realized that they have removed Golden Ages from the game... The fuckers :ssj:

edit: add custom palace building back in too. And leader models that change with eras. A new Civ game released in 2016 should have everything that was awesome about previous games, dammit.

The main thing I miss from previous games is border pressure from culture from Civ 4.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest things they need to do I think are cultural border pressure, city flipping, vassalage, "outposts" for resources instead of entire cities, and implent corporations in a deeper level ala Vox Populi.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PirateBob posted:

They exist in a more spectrum-based sense, if you over-amenity a city it will become "Ecstatic" and get a productivity boost. I think it's great, because it's less binary. Though somewhat ironically I do miss the "We Love the Ruler" day bonuses as I don't think there's any spiritual equivalent. But the brief boosts for cities that you could actively seek out/trade for were nice.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I do miss border pressure. I like 4x games that include it (GalCiv II, III?), as it makes for a fun 'peaceful' way to aggressively expand.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Axe Master posted:

Someone needs to make a FFH2-like mod for V, that was so much dumb fun, especially the weird terraforming civs, and the one that let you literally summon god if you brought on the ice-pocalypse. So goofy.

Impossible. Civ V engine can't handle terraforming, I think Firaxis actually originally wanted to have the Dutch UA be to turn coast into land but they couldn't do it. And V is much harder to mod in general. I don't think the FFH2 spell system could be replicated in V at all, though I'm not sure. Does V allow you to add your own python (or another language, but python is what FFH2/Civ IV used) functions?

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

Staltran posted:

Impossible. Civ V engine can't handle terraforming, I think Firaxis actually originally wanted to have the Dutch UA be to turn coast into land but they couldn't do it. And V is much harder to mod in general. I don't think the FFH2 spell system could be replicated in V at all, though I'm not sure. Does V allow you to add your own python (or another language, but python is what FFH2/Civ IV used) functions?

I think I remember hearing about the Dutch issue, now that you mention it. A guy can dream!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fhqwhgads posted:

I do miss border pressure. I like 4x games that include it (GalCiv II, III?), as it makes for a fun 'peaceful' way to aggressively expand.

It's also a great way to deter your opponents from settling so close to your borders, as their city will just pop to your control.

Alas.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The FFH2 guy got made Lead Designer by Stardock, and it turned out even he can't make their 4x games be good, I doubt he's going to mod Civ now. Also Endless Legend has taken the "Civ but with really unique fantasy races bringing interesting playstyles" thing and made it theirs.

The winter mechanic and how it works with the win conditions in particular is basically stolen from FFH having all those wacky ending of the world scenarios going on, and then spiced up a bit with Game of Thrones stuff to be more culturally relevant.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Also Endless Legend has taken the "Civ but with really unique fantasy races bringing interesting playstyles" thing and made it theirs.

It also took the "Civ but with AI that functions" thing and ran off the loving field with it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

It also took the "Civ but with AI that functions" thing and ran off the loving field with it.

Eh? EL has been assblasted for years for its AI shortcomings. I haven't played it in a while but I remember the AI being more or less passive. Did the latest expansion change that?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jastiger posted:

"outposts" for resources instead of entire cities

This makes me think that forts in Civ 6 could be made much more interesting if they came with a small "in your borders" zone, so you could plant them in strategic spots to claim resources, block off expansion, etc. Have it so that a few turns of pillaging on the fort hex removes the fort and the bordered area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Endless Legend AI provides roughly zero challenge late game though? Maybe mid game too, there's a lot of synergistic stuff you can do in EL to hyperscale and the AI seems to have no idea that's possible.

It's not "cant deal with 2 archers and a warrior" bad, that's true.