Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I don't expect them to do a multi point map, because anything that requires you to split up your team goes against their design vision.

I do wonder why we haven't seen some kind of neutral payload game type. Maybe it's too much of a snowball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They've experimented with payload tug-of-war, but IIRC Kaplan said they hadn't cracked the right kind of map design for it yet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sterster posted:

Quoting my self because this was ignored. Still looking for some advice on how to be less bad.

Post it in the Tryhard thread.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

They've experimented with payload tug-of-war, but IIRC Kaplan said they hadn't cracked the right kind of map design for it yet.

But have they tried payload-mountain or double-payload? Both game types were received pretty well by players, tug-o-war suffered from snowballing though.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Post it in the Tryhard thread.

Didn't know this was a thing. Thx

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i think blizzard did an ok map balance job on everything but eichenwalde

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There are maps I think are hot garbage, but that I'll admit are balanced.

And there's Gibraltar. :suicide:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am indifferent to all the maps now. i think i went through a phase of hating each one over time but that's all faded now.

now my hatred is reserved for mei and genji

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I still think all three of the capture maps focus too much chokes. Hanamura especially has two serious meatgrinders. Anubis and Volskaya are a little better, but man.

Hybrid maps are better.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Competitive FPS map design is in no way comparable or equivalent to any other genre with 3D maps at all, and Blizzard has never made an FPS before. Also, OW's maps are overall really thoughtfully designed except the handful that undeniably favor Defense a bit too much. Cowcaster is right, the statement was stupid

Arena maps are pretty much 3rd person KotH though?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Come back to play a little, didn't really play beyond a week after beta. My final placement game everybody in the game was Diamond (I looked this up afterwards) and were questioning why I didn't have a rank. Then they told me to go Zenyatta or Ana and I said I had never played either and they were all mean to me :saddowns:

Fortunately, all the Scandinavian hatred poured upon our Reinhardt for some kind of repeated positioning mistake and I did OK, even though we lost.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Donnerberg posted:

There are maps I think are hot garbage, but that I'll admit are balanced.

And there's Gibraltar. :suicide:

Can I ask why you don't like Gibraltar

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

turtlecrunch posted:

When the gate shuts after the first point, the pushing team is filtered through four doorways that are very easy to defend from two or three vantage points

The final corner is a deathtrap, especially because the back route to that corner comes out right at the corner, and you can't use the side route that sends you to the bridge/behind the corner because to get there you have to go practically up past the corner

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
final deathtrap corner happens in all the payload maps

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Payload maps all follow a zigzag kind of route with plenty of corners, otherwise they would grossly favour snipers and other long-range heroes. They're also designed to get tough near the end, with the defender spawn right next to the final point. Those two elements almost always add up to a hellish final corner.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yet, if you look at the entire game collectively, it is overall easier to attack than defend on the majority of maps. I suppose it's best that way due to the way competitive mode works where they probably want both teams to succeed in attacking as much as possible.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
Kaplan has said that as MMR brackets rise, so does the win% of the attacking team

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have never played anything like TF2 or used a mouse and keyboard so it took me like an hour to actually start using my E ability. Progress is slow but I've blinked off the edge less in recent games and remember to recall when I do now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wasn't able to save the clip of getting a quad kill with ana ult into reaper ult because this game deletes highlights once you close your game(why??) but I screenshot'd getting commended as reaper for once in my life

ooooooh baby

KoB
May 1, 2009
Matches are so quick I never really care what map im on

Never really been a fan of KOTH though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Is there any significance to rating matches? What does Blizzard do with the data?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

When the gate shuts after the first point, the pushing team is filtered through four doorways that are very easy to defend from two or three vantage points

Eichenwalde does this too, and if your team wipes after the bridge it can be a pain getting back. At least you have a slight height advantage immediately after the doors.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tfw the game is short

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

IronicDongz posted:

tfw the game is short

I got 89% 82% kill participation with Reinhardt this way.

It was 9 kills.

/edit: It was 82% :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got my first ever POTG :toot:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Splatoon does this and it's really awesome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jopo posted:

Kaplan has said that as MMR brackets rise, so does the win% of the attacking team

THis makes sense. The attackers only need to win once, the defenders need to win many times. The defenders are coordinated by default: the chokes are obvious or the place to defend is obvious, and the spawntimes are shorter. Therefore, the ability of the attackers to coordinate effectively is the deciding factor in average wins, something that will improve as MMR does, either because the players are actually coordinating or because they simply have a better understanding of the flow of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
feels great to be playing mercy, like almost 9 minutes left to cap second point, and your stupid team won't group the gently caress up and keeps trickling in 1-3 at a time into a pile of 6 enemies on the other team, who have a torbjorn and bastion set up(and also keep diving in, reaper literally walking straight through hanamura 2nd's front door and then teleporting onto the center of the control point and then dying instantly, repeatedly)

over and over again, until you lose. even when you hang out behind the door to try and get them to group up near you(they want heals, right?), and repeatedly message them to group up on you, and 4 minutes in get on voice chat and tell them to group up on me instead of walking straight in 1 or 2 at a time)

do they have eyeballs. what is the gameplan

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I have never played anything like TF2 or used a mouse and keyboard so it took me like an hour to actually start using my E ability. Progress is slow but I've blinked off the edge less in recent games and remember to recall when I do now.

Eventually it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it. That is until you start putting time into another class and your reflexes make you hit the wrong button.

Also Tracer seems a tricky hero to start off with, so good luck to you.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Edmond Dantes posted:

It was 9 kills.

Holy poo poo it's a blast from the past.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Boogle posted:

Holy poo poo it's a blast from the past.

Hahaha, yep. That was a good match. :allears:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Well that's officially the closest I have ever seen the cart without it being capped:

We ended up getting it in overtime.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I never feel in control on Gibraltar. It's the map where I die the most.

Most OW maps have that TF2 feel to me where it's kind of a controlled chaos, but Gibraltar is like Battlefield with the same bullshit deaths from out of nowhere and the same downtime running from spawn.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well, that was certainly a series of matches

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I agree that Blizzard's maps are REALLY obnoxiously focused on chokepoints, but something strange I've noticed is how there's so much extra pointless rooms off to the side and stuff. They're everywhere! What is the point of this area? Why would anyone come here? It doesn't go anywhere! Weird.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I agree that Blizzard's maps are REALLY obnoxiously focused on chokepoints, but something strange I've noticed is how there's so much extra pointless rooms off to the side and stuff. They're everywhere! What is the point of this area? Why would anyone come here? It doesn't go anywhere! Weird.

I have played this game for 30 hours and have no idea what the flanking routes are because if I ever stray from the blue arrow I end up stuck in some bullshit room that serves no purpose.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think the rooms that lead nowhere are for TPs, and maybe a way to future proof maps for other mechanics like that in the future.

On Anubis at the gate to B there's a little hut with a 200hp pack and behind it there's a pointless space with two tiny rooms and a terrace. That's a pretty safe place for a defending TP to point A.

Same thing on Hollywood, Kings Row, Dorado and Gibraltar where the defenders old spawns don't get closed off when their spawns change, which leaves side-sections of the map that no one use where you can place TPs.

I've no idea about the two floor room on the right of the attackers spawn on Volskaya though. Defending snipers some times go there, but there's no safe way out so it doesn't seem all that useful.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Edmond Dantes posted:

It was 9 kills.

A fast game once gave me my best/favourite ever card.

A healing card for 2276 healing which was 57% of team damage taken, as Roadhog.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bushmaori posted:

Eventually it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it. That is until you start putting time into another class and your reflexes make you hit the wrong button.

Also Tracer seems a tricky hero to start off with, so good luck to you.

Yeah I heard she is hard to master but I figured I'd be terrible with anyone I started with so I might as well practice on the hero I want to play! My friend is a diamond class so she has been playing with me and giving me tips on what Tracers are supposed to do and how to be effective with them. Some guy in Quick Play was very upset that a level four was playing with level 200s but whatever it's Quick Play. Are there any good Tracer players I should watch, I think that would be useful! I've been reading and watching videos on how to make the most of her but I figure just watching a good Tracer play a few matches would help loads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

EmmyOk posted:

Some guy in Quick Play was very upset that a level four was playing with level 200s but whatever it's Quick Play.
People are going to moan about everything, just keep ignoring them.

Tracer advice. Pick a target, kill the target, get out of danger. Focus on fights you can end quickly (so dive and kill squishies) and keep a blink available for escaping. Don't waste your recall, other than being hard to hit it is your only survivability skill. I don't play a huge amount of Tracer though so others may have different/better advice.

As for streamers, SureFour/Tisumi is an excellent Tracer but kind of a lovely person. YMMV but I can't watch him, he is really good though. I can't think of anyone else I'm afraid.