Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Edea is in Braverly? I've never played those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Do we only get FFX Yuna or do we get X2 Yuna as well?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did FF1 even have a variety of battle items? FF2 introduced a lot of stuff we take for granted.
It only had the equipment that cast spells. Couldn't even use a HEAL potion.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Edea is in Braverly? I've never played those games.
Different Edea. But you should play them, they're really good. Default has an awful second-half-plot-twist thing that you end up being able to speed past to get to the fun harder optional fights, but the games are both really good on the whole.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2's battle items were mostly poo poo anyway, especially considering how god drat bad that game's inventory system is. You had a handful of slots and a third are taken up at the end by key items you can't throw away, so you can't even spend money on Elixirs since you'd have no room for them.

e: Hell, most FF games' battle items are poo poo. FF3 pretty much designed a dungeon to force you to use them on the boss, FF4 had an item that inflicted Slow which is loving broken, FF7 had various explosives which were pretty good, and that's pretty much it (excluding Mix which is usually broken as poo poo in whatever games it's in).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The FFI part of Dawn of Souls had some pieces of equipment that cast spells when used (I don't know if they were in the base game, but I know some really good ones for spells like Flare were from the bonus dungeons). They weren't as strong as actually casting spells, but they were free, so they were good for the longer bonus dungeons.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Once you reach Big Bridge (or maybe a bit earlier, the one I found was there) you can find a Mirajewel which massively reduces encounter rates when equipped.

Alright how is the Battle on the Big Bridge Remix in WoFF.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Tents in FF9 are pretty good.

Also, FF5 has loving Rod Breaking, the sickest battle items.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

OneDeadman posted:

Also, FF5 has loving Rod Breaking, the sickest battle items.
FF5 had great items in general, but yeah, rods

I got Red Mage and no other mages in fiesta last year, I know all about rod breaking :shepicide:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Augus posted:

Hearing the SNES FF characters like Edgar, Faris, and Celes with voice acting is pretty fun stuff

Honestly the biggest selling point of the game right here.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
WoFF is a little bit stupid but then again so am I. It's saccharine and sentimental but that's exactly the sort of mood that makes we want to play Final Fantasy games to begin with so I think we're gonna get along fine.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eh-lone, because she sends you through time and you can only go through time if you have emotional connections, i.e. aren't alone

No you are not alone is from ff9, you are confused.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tama is cute. offer may only apply to the japanese voice pack

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Cleretic posted:

The FFI part of Dawn of Souls had some pieces of equipment that cast spells when used (I don't know if they were in the base game, but I know some really good ones for spells like Flare were from the bonus dungeons). They weren't as strong as actually casting spells, but they were free, so they were good for the longer bonus dungeons.

They existed in the original. It was a big help when you could have free casts of a spell with how limiting the MP was. Also thanks to magic basically being broken and not scaling off stats it meant that anyone with one of those pieces of equipment was just as good at using it as a proper mage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cavelcade posted:

No you are not alone is from ff9, you are confused.
tiagp

(that rear end in a top hat Squall shouldn't have found his way back at the end)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You have to download the English voices from the store lol, why is it so hard to release a functioning game on day 1

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Captain Baal posted:

You have to download the English voices from the store lol, why is it so hard to release a functioning game on day 1

its cause they dont fit on the cart probably

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, they probably don't is the funny thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
WoFF has that intentionally vague dialog ala Kingdom Hearts and bad anime that I don't personally care for but luckily it only shows up if human NPC's are on screen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've decided that despite owning the Day One Edition I'm going to preserve it as a collector's item. I don't know where the codes are to give them away.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
WoFF has some definite problems, but there's a Tonberry with Wrex's voice.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Potato Jones posted:

WoFF has some definite problems, but there's a Tonberry with Wrex's voice.

I am excited to meet this Tonberry.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
do the creatures that you capture in the WOFF demo carry over to the full game? I only missed fenrir and ifreeta (impresm kept missing)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sefal posted:

do the creatures that you capture in the WOFF demo carry over to the full game? I only missed fenrir and ifreeta (impresm kept missing)

Nope. The only thing you get for completing the demo is the ability to face and capture this specific set of magitech armor in the colosseum.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

OneDeadman posted:

Tents in FF9 are pretty good.

I will forever be haunted by the FF9 tents

When I played FF9 way back. when I was still a child. I made it to disc 2. I then went to fight Zhorn and Thorn. I didn't understand the mechanic so I bruteforced my way through the battle. I used up all my healing items and tents. My party was half dead/almost dead. I saved the game after the fight. Proceeded until I got to beatrix. She murdered me. I tried to get through for hours. but I just could not. She would murder me everytime, before the battle would be over. The only solution was to restart the game.

Little me then learned 2 very important lessons.
Always carry healing items with you. and make multiple saves.
You would be suprised how much I loved ff10's heal when you touch a savepoint.

FF9 is still my favourite final fantasy game

bloodychill posted:

Nope. The only thing you get for completing the demo is the ability to face and capture this specific set of magitech armor in the colosseum.

Ah, Cool. Thank you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Celes is such a weird name to me, entirely because it sounds so mundane. I legitimately thought, until looking it up literally right now, that it was just a normal but uncommon name that I happen to only know from Final Fantasy.

Celeste is a real French name

I always figured Celes > Celestial and Terra > Earth, and Celeste literally means Celestial so not sure why they didn't use that

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I always figured Celes > Celestial and Terra > Earth, and Celeste literally means Celestial so not sure why they didn't use that

That is the obvious and correct interpretation, yes. :)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Probably the same reason they had to cut Stragos down to six letters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

"Is a real name" is usually disqualifying for jRPG characters.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I had assumed this as well until I realized Terra's original name was Tina.

TBH I'm much angrier about her hair actually being blonde.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
WoFF is cool and fun and I have a chocobo on my head.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stragosphere

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Super No Vacancy posted:

tama is cute. offer may only apply to the japanese voice pack

Anyone have a problem getting the voice dlc to work? I redeemed the code, but when I move it to Japanese in the config, it turns off voice acting entirely except for battle grunts(although at the title screen they still say the title in Japanese)

Also would I have seen the other dlc from the day one edition kick in by now?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tama's annoying as poo poo and I have no faith the JP version doesn't have some equally annoying vocal tic

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

zedprime posted:

"Is a real name" is usually disqualifying for jRPG characters.

Edgar is a real as heck name.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Edgar is a real as heck name.

Etymologically it means "swordsman" so we can give it a pass.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Tama's annoying as poo poo and I have no faith the JP version doesn't have some equally annoying vocal tic

if there is one i cant hear it because i dont know japanese. owned

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't need to know Japanese to hear the same word repeated, kuma

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
No seriously I bought this game and I don't want to play it, I don't know how to give the preorder bonuses away. Please help me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

You don't need to know Japanese to hear the same word repeated, kuma

Believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Gologle posted:

No seriously I bought this game and I don't want to play it, I don't know how to give the preorder bonuses away. Please help me.

You gotta the-unseal the plastic and the-write down the code inside the case