Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How do you tie a military unit to a trade caravan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Meanwhile in my first real game, a friend and I got savagely owned by a runaway Kongo who had like 110~ Science on turn 80 on Prince. We ended up making a last ditch effort to stop him but...yeah he was fielding tanks to our musketmen. It was bad.

I believe you, but the AI seems to "break" easily. At times it seems functional, and then at others it seems to fail at basic stuff like fielding an army or expanding past 2 or 3 cities, and the diplomatic AI seems bonkers. It seems really buggy with weird parameters that produce strange behavior, even for a civ AI.

I've been hearing a lot of people just weirdly coasting to day 1 high level difficulty wins.

Like I just remembered one: does the AI straight up not go for goodie huts? I played a game where I was finding them into the mid-game. I found an unclaimed hut that was on the border of a German city, in like 700 AD!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Little Mac posted:

How do you tie a military unit to a trade caravan?

You don't? Traders don't require any sort of protection as a unit, the route itself can be plundered at any hex along it, regardless of where the actual trader unit is on that route.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Axe Master posted:

I think I remember hearing about the Dutch issue, now that you mention it. A guy can dream!

This reminds me, with Amsterdam being a city state does that mean The Netherlands won't ever be included as a playable civ in a future expansion?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Safe Word posted:

You don't? Traders don't require any sort of protection as a unit, the route itself can be plundered at any hex along it, regardless of where the actual trader unit is on that route.

this is retarded

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

That's true in V, but not in VI it seems

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

this is retarded

Why? Just literally destroy the road that the trader created and that plunders it. I mean yeah, reaping the reward from it as if you hijacked the trade cargo itself seems a bit beyond immersion now but you can just pretend you got paid by a rival for it or something if you need that. From an immersion standpoint it's "weird", but from a gameplay mechanic standpoint it's probably the best option.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That's true in V, but not in VI it seems

Which part isn't true? That you can plunder at any hex along the route? I can't check right now but I'm pretty sure I've had the option to do it and had it actually done to me both ways in Civ VI. I know in my one multiplayer game a barb scout plundered a trade route of mine that I'm pretty sure didn't have the actual trader present. I wasn't sure if barb scouts would plunder trade routes but they did :eng99:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
from an immersion perspective nobody cares, but as a gameplay mechanic destroying a road and destroying a trader being the same thing is really dumb and bad.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
it's really not

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how do you destroy a sea trader?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The same way, you plunder the route but with a boat instead.

I don't really care if another Civ plunders a trade route since well, we're at war and all. What is actually really annoying is that lovely roaming Barbarian Scouts also plunder.

Madcosby posted:

Are you Brazil folk with ridiculous rain forests waiting till you discover a massive one before plopping down your first city or is that just luck of the draw? Do Civs with tile type bonuses have a larger chance of starting near them? I assumed there's no value in Civs like tundra lover Russia guy or rainforest Brazil lord if you rely totally on the RNG for a big start

Civilizations have start biases. Russia is biased to start near Tundra and Brazil near Rainforest. Naval civs like Norway and England are likely to start near the coast, and so on. That said the rainforest in question is by far the largest I've ever seen. It's usually a 2-3 wide band around the world in my games.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Everyone cares about immersion. It's a civ game.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Is there any good way to keep city-states alive in the early game? There isn't a way to befriend them or protect them in diplomacy? I like to play on big crowded maps, and tend to lose 6 or more city states in the ancient game. Kinda fun to go liberate them in the modern, and they seem to stay liberated (due to higher war penalties?)...though perhaps that is because they are in the middle of the pillaged ruins of the state that took them 3000 years ago.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Which part isn't true? That you can plunder at any hex along the route? I can't check right now but I'm pretty sure I've had the option to do it and had it actually done to me both ways in Civ VI. I know in my one multiplayer game a barb scout plundered a trade route of mine that I'm pretty sure didn't have the actual trader present. I wasn't sure if barb scouts would plunder trade routes but they did :eng99:

I'm fairly positive I was only able to plunder a trader when the unit was there. You can pillage the road but that doesn't net you gold or stop the trade

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
This mod looks pretty great.
Custom City Panel: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/divine-yuris-custom-city-panel.601696/

Someone please mirror it so I don't have to sign up for the forum.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
nobody seems to care that there's a 15 tile sized trade caravan you need to defend from horsemen and scouts if you want to engage in trade but i guess it's the only source of difficulty in this game

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've never seen a trade route get plundered if the trade unit wasn't physically there, I've literally had barbarian camps spawn on top of trade routes and they were fine until the trader reached that specific spot. I'm pretty sure that particular mechanic was changed from V.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

nobody seems to care that there's a 15 tile sized trade caravan you need to defend from horsemen and scouts if you want to engage in trade but i guess it's the only source of difficulty in this game

Hard to care about it when you are wrong about how it works.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I've never seen a trade route get plundered if the trade unit wasn't physically there, I've literally had barbarian camps spawn on top of trade routes and they were fine until the trader reached that specific spot. I'm pretty sure that particular mechanic was changed from V.

There, I guess I was wrong and so yeah you can go ahead and manually micromanage your military unit (that you are paying a maintenance cost for) to follow your trader as it follows the trade route and then your income and soon-to-be trading posts will be safe, huzzah!

Or you can play it safe and only run trade routes that are through charted/populated areas that aren't going to be hit by barbs, or if you're at war you can worry about the war instead of the little bit of commerce you're missing out on.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I really like the game overall despite that it's broken in many ways. It's a *way* better starting point than Civ V was IMO and I hope they can fix some of the most glaring issues.

But the 1UPT... I dunno man. It just doesn't work satisfactorily. And as such, I really think they should go back to some form of the doomstacks from 4, or do some compromise like being able to have like, 3 or 4 units per tile. I dunno, just something to clear up the map a bit. The corps and armies aren't enough. I mean, it's bad enough that the AI can't handle it at all when it comes to war. But it also just looks loving weird when you check out another Civ's territory and it's just chock full of units just taking up almost every goddamn tile.

I'm really happy with the changes from V to VI and if they can fix/balance the mechanics a bit, I think it'll be really great. And will be fun to see what expansions can add.

But with the AI being what it is, and how it will likely not be fixed, I think Civ IV with its doomstacks will remain my favorite in the series. It's just waaaay too easy to exploit the AI in V and VI as it is now.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

-Dethstryk- posted:

Hard to care about it when you are wrong about how it works.

someone said that is how it works, i said that was retarded, and five people jumped in to defend it as a great and immersive design.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Leinadi posted:

I really like the game overall despite that it's broken in many ways. It's a *way* better starting point than Civ V was IMO and I hope they can fix some of the most glaring issues.

But the 1UPT... I dunno man. It just doesn't work satisfactorily. And as such, I really think they should go back to some form of the doomstacks from 4, or do some compromise like being able to have like, 3 or 4 units per tile. I dunno, just something to clear up the map a bit. The corps and armies aren't enough. I mean, it's bad enough that the AI can't handle it at all when it comes to war. But it also just looks loving weird when you check out another Civ's territory and it's just chock full of units just taking up almost every goddamn tile.
This is literally in the game. You can stack same units into a corps/army (or fleet/armada I think for naval units). I believe it requires Nationalism to do this, however.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

This is literally in the game. You can stack same units into a corps/army (or fleet/armada I think for naval units). I believe it requires Nationalism to do this, however.

There's a couple of Great Generals/Admirals that will let you create a corps/armada even in the ancient era.

PirateBob posted:

Custom City Panel: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/divine-yuris-custom-city-panel.601696/

This is beautiful.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

No Safe Word posted:

This is literally in the game. You can stack same units into a corps/army (or fleet/armada I think for naval units).

This is literally in his post.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

someone said that is how it works, i said that was retarded, and five people jumped in to defend it as a great and immersive design.

I mean you're also wrong about it being being some horrible and game breaking mechanic, because it was in civ v and was fine fine if you bothered with exploration.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So the Industrial Zones get bonuses from adjacent Mines and Quarries, but the Hansa is different, right? it says Resources, Districts, and Commercial Hubs?

Edit: I guess I botched this placement thinking I could just use the quarries and make some mines to boost the Hansa, but oh well. I'm still winning.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Roadie posted:

The main thing I miss from previous games is border pressure from culture from Civ 4.

Yeah. It was cool when there was a tightly contested city between several empires and you could actually see the culture makeup of the city due to culture flipping and occupation through war.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

I think maybe you missed that you can view your relationship modifiers in the diplomacy screen, because that is more or else how Civ6's diplomacy works.

PirateBob posted:

This information is already given to you, there is a panel that comes out when you click the City Details button while a city is selected. I mean, maybe the tooltips are more convenient, I guess, but this is a crappy way of making it 'more visible'.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 25, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Add the Civilopedia to the main menu

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Starting to enjoy this game a bit less. Just had a 2000 year war with Germany. Complete stalemate. It's never going to end. He won't accept anything. Why put war weariness in the game if it's not going to do anything? I'm starting to feel like I'm playing Civ 5 with different mechanics.

PirateBob posted:

Going to try this out. Don't understand why tooltips weren't available in the first place.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
e:nvm beaten badly I guess I hadn't refreshed in a few while

Staltran fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 25, 2016

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Aerdan posted:

I think maybe you missed that you can view your relationship modifiers in the diplomacy screen, because that is more or else how Civ6's diplomacy works.

Hogama posted:

This is not definitive, but it looks like the AI's relationship status with you is actually based on an invisible number. The modifiers you see when you check your relationship are actually the per turn adjustments to this invisible number, not your current standing with them.

This would be a +12 per turn modifier, so assuming no changes, eventually that Neutral status should improve to Friendly. How many turns? Hell if I know.
The Warmonger penalty naturally decays at a rate of like +1 per turn (or was that every other turn), up to 0, but in the meantime you're losing some big points every turn if you can't offset them.
If you can build up a healthy surplus before taking a warmonger penalty hit, it'll be easier to keep out of the red.
And conversely, if a civ has racked up a lot of negative modifiers, it'll be hard to dig yourself out of the hole even if you manage to finagle a positive modifier.

Code seems to support it- there are "RelationshipLevel" values like 33 for Unfriendly and 66 for Friendly, and "DiplomaticYieldBonus" values attached to various states. Probably not absolute values and just percentages of whatever that magic diplomatic number is instead.
An otherwise neutral civ with a static total modifier can be brought to friendly over time by giving them gifts every so often; "Favorable Trade" modifier goes down by +2 every turn, but by renewing whenever it runs out, eventually they'll tick over.

There's often a first impression bonus or modifier; if it's negative, it's like -5 and can make a newly met civ start to hate you even if nothing else you do gives a penalty, and your bonuses get reduced at lower diplomatic states, so one take away is to try and always set up a delegation as soon as you meet if possible, before their opinion decays and they won't accept the deal.

e: quote is not edit

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
In my game America has been my friend since the beginning, but for some reason he randomly put a bunch of soldiers in my borders and then shuffled them out after I gave him some gold. Can Civs declare war on you out of a friendship? I thought he was posturing to do so but then he just scuttled away, so, whatever.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
After checking out that mod, I'm going to share something fantastic I found there.

CivFanatic quoting Reddit posted:

"go to....Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\ToolTips\Plot Tool Tip.lua

Edit line 32: local TIME_DEFAULT_PAUSE :number = xx (put value of seconds until popup) I use 0.2

Default tooltip delay is a glorious 1.1 second, so much more responsive now.

My favorite comment from the unmodified LUA:
-- This is horrible, i'm sorry.

Edit: I'm good with 0.6

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 25, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In my first game I befriended rome with open borders and he marched one and a half dozen legions over all my poo poo for a couple turns before marching them all back up north and deciding to murder egypt. I think he might have just been looking at my cities? I dont know either.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Antti posted:

The anniversary soundtrack has a track called "Civilization IV theme" which is NOT Baba Yetu. :argh:

It's like they didn't actually get the rights to include anything by Tin in the soundtrack releases.

It says "01 - Civilization IV - Original Civilization Theme Music" and that's exactly what it is - the Civ 4 recording of the Civ 1 theme. IT's the Civ 1 rep.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I had Germany sitting pretty with a fleet of 15 embarked pikemen and catapults, arranged as a glob in the middle of the weird inland sea between the arms of my V-shaped continent. They just... sat there, right along most of my trade routes, for the rest of the game. I wondered if the AI really wanted to declare war, then would realize it's hopelessly outclassed, every turn for a few hundred turns.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I started up a new game as Gorgo. On turn six, I meet... Gorgo. :sigh:

How much effort does it take to prevent identical leaders, Firaxis?

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

Mondlicht posted:

In my game America has been my friend since the beginning, but for some reason he randomly put a bunch of soldiers in my borders and then shuffled them out after I gave him some gold. Can Civs declare war on you out of a friendship? I thought he was posturing to do so but then he just scuttled away, so, whatever.

Yes, I had a game where I was Kongo and had a friendship AND alliance with France. As soon as the Alliance was over, maybe literally 1 to 2 turns later she declared war on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I thought I'd try playing without barbarians, and of course it sticks me on an island alone that I can easily maintain LOS over the whole thing.