Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lester Shy posted:

Grabbed this, thanks a bunch!

Is there a simple guide anywhere for taking a rifftrax mp3 and a video file and mashing them together? I googled "DIY rifftrax" but that just leads to a bunch of people doing their own commentaries.

I can't find the thread on the Rifftrax forums, but if you search this thread, I've posted it before. It sounds complicated, but it's pretty easy once you've done a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I won't post any links since it's not legal, but there are folks out there who sync the movies with the rifftrax audio and then upload to various places. Again, not legal. But if you own a copy of the film and the riff, your conscience should probably be clear.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't find the thread on the Rifftrax forums, but if you search this thread, I've posted it before. It sounds complicated, but it's pretty easy once you've done a few.

It's literally the first result when you google his exact words "taking a rifftrax mp3 and a video file".

Behold, UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ringu0 posted:

It's literally the first result when you google his exact words "taking a rifftrax mp3 and a video file".

I've been doing that (the first method) since day one. About 95% of the time, once you line up the first Disembaudio line, the rest fall into place within milliseconds.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

ringu0 posted:

If you already have a video file, you will have to find a different way to export the audio (VLC player works well to convert to .wav) and then re-add it back in (I use Avidemux).

Also, the guide doesn't go over using Auto Duck in Audacity to lower the volume of the movie when the guys are talking.

Do this after you have sync'd the audio and silenced the intro/dis sync lines. Basically, right before you export back to a .wav
1. Make sure the movie audio is above the Rifftrax audio (You can click the name of the track next to the wave form and move a track up or down)
2. double click the movie audio wave form, this should select all of the movie track
3. Effect/Auto Duck in the menus.
4. You can mess with these settings, but they should be fine as is.

This will take a long time to process and if you're worried about messing it up, save the project before you do this.

I was going to write out exactly how I do it, but... I do a bit of mucking about and fine tuning in audacity and it might be confusing in text.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

REDjackeT posted:

If you already have a video file, you will have to find a different way to export the audio (VLC player works well to convert to .wav) and then re-add it back in (I use Avidemux).

Also, the guide doesn't go over using Auto Duck in Audacity to lower the volume of the movie when the guys are talking.

Do this after you have sync'd the audio and silenced the intro/dis sync lines. Basically, right before you export back to a .wav
1. Make sure the movie audio is above the Rifftrax audio (You can click the name of the track next to the wave form and move a track up or down)
2. double click the movie audio wave form, this should select all of the movie track
3. Effect/Auto Duck in the menus.
4. You can mess with these settings, but they should be fine as is.

This will take a long time to process and if you're worried about messing it up, save the project before you do this.

I was going to write out exactly how I do it, but... I do a bit of mucking about and fine tuning in audacity and it might be confusing in text.

^This is why I stand by saying this is non-trivial to do. Why not also master the audio so that the Rifftrax is a separate selectable audio track like a Director's Commentary? Download a zillion tools and muck around in Audacity and figure out audio levels and syncing audio to video which requires watching all through the movie to begin with...

...or just use Disembaudio and the pause method, which is super simple.

I don't get it. I mean unless you just have a desperate need to burn the movie to physical to get it off your hard drive because you think the copyright police won't find you that way?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Due to the Halloween season I am rewatching one of my favorite Riff, Ghosthouse. It just such a bizarre dumb movie.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

revdrkevind posted:

^This is why I stand by saying this is non-trivial to do. Why not also master the audio so that the Rifftrax is a separate selectable audio track like a Director's Commentary? Download a zillion tools and muck around in Audacity and figure out audio levels and syncing audio to video which requires watching all through the movie to begin with...

...or just use Disembaudio and the pause method, which is super simple.

I don't get it. I mean unless you just have a desperate need to burn the movie to physical to get it off your hard drive because you think the copyright police won't find you that way?

Well, I put all my ripped movies on my media server, so having them pre-done is nice. I also tend to have them playing as background noise.

And I do have some of them with the original audio as a separate track. That's not really hard to do.

It takes a while, but most of the time expended is waiting for encoding or auto duck. The audacity work doesn't really take that long. You also don't have to go though the whole movie. Check the first sync point (there's a text file that gives you time codes) and the last. Silencing Dis is also just going to the points in the text file and Select/Silence.

I find it kinda fun, but not everyone would agree. It is non-trivial, but I wouldn't call it difficult. Don't bother if you just watch stuff once.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rirse posted:

Due to the Halloween season I am rewatching one of my favorite Riff, Ghosthouse. It just such a bizarre dumb movie.

How did Ham Radio Guy know to light the corpse and doll on fire? Like, you'd THINK it's one of those Poltergeist situations, but nope!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

GHOSTHOUSE! I'M REVOKING YOUR CHARTER!

CaptainYesterday posted:

How did Ham Radio Guy know to light the corpse and doll on fire? Like, you'd THINK it's one of those Poltergeist situations, but nope!

It didn't work because the doll needed to be buried with whoever the doll belonged to first before it was stolen and given to the little girl.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see it posted yet but they announced that they're not doing a Live Christmas thing this year and instead are doing a double billing of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Holiday Shorts with some new pre-taped stuff on December 1st.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, that's good for me since I missed SCCtM the first time they showed it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured they weren't doing another xmas live since they were doing a Halloween live thing which is a shame because I wanted to take my sister Mary to see I Believe in Santa Claus

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
HI I'M BACK

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess you could be frightened by Carnival of Souls if you didn't realize she was dead the entire time but it sure comes off as really obvious to a modern viewer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

spooky like this! posted:

So I guess you could be frightened by Carnival of Souls if you didn't realize she was dead the entire time but it sure comes off as really obvious to a modern viewer.

Parts of it were mildly disturbing and then the cast shows up.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So I guess you could be frightened by Carnival of Souls
Without the jokes, I don't think anyone could stay awake that long

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
That was a great show

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Watched some of the new shorts as a backer.

That really was Wink Martindale in Home of the Future, holy crap. In glorious future of 1999, all learning and shopping is done at the push of a button! Also, we only work 2 hours a day and jet to Mexico Cit at the drop of a hat! Thanks for that awesome look into the future, Philco Ford!

Exxon sponsored Measure Metric and it is no longer a mystery why the metric system died in America if that was how people were introduced to it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, colorization does the movie a grave (sorry) disservice. The visuals are actually kind of atmospheric and effectively spooky when there aren't blue skies and green lawns everywhere.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be fair, colorization does the movie a grave (sorry) disservice. The visuals are actually kind of atmospheric and effectively spooky when there aren't blue skies and green lawns everywhere.

The movie is pretty well shot, but there are far too many scenes that go on for far too long. How many scenes did we really need to see of the protagonist wandering listlessly? Honestly, the poor pacing kinda takes away from the rift itself (Which, to be fair, is a weakness in the format itself. See also the Santa Claus and Godzilla live shows).

All that said, I think one could probably edit the movie into something shorter but far more effective.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the pacing knocks it down quite a bit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Unlucky7 posted:

All that said, I think one could probably edit the movie into something shorter but far more effective.
All you would have to do is cut down every time they just show her making a dumb face doing nothing else and it would probably work

But then the movie would have ended in like fifteen minutes

also that Golden Corral joke was my favorite

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like humble bundle but don't want these.

Game of Thrones: Season 1 Episode 1: 57hmAqnU
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: 7rC4skCq
Jurassic Park: 6ognzVrg
Twilight: 55R8C4JU
The Wizard: 5DBF2kgt

HoBgoBLiNs
Feb 26, 2005

Some women find facial scars attractive. Mind you, most of those women are krogan...

Tenzarin posted:

I like humble bundle but don't want these.

The Wizard: 5DBF2kgt

Took this one, Thanks!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Unlucky7 posted:

The movie is pretty well shot, but there are far too many scenes that go on for far too long. How many scenes did we really need to see of the protagonist wandering listlessly? Honestly, the poor pacing kinda takes away from the rift itself (Which, to be fair, is a weakness in the format itself. See also the Santa Claus and Godzilla live shows).

A tighter edit would help, and also keeping it in B&W. Looking at a few B&W scenes, and they honestly work much better for the movie. I kind of wish these companies would stop colorizing movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to say that the company that was doing the colorizing was the one Rifftrax used to be part of, which is why they always used those versions.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

I want to say that the company that was doing the colorizing was the one Rifftrax used to be part of, which is why they always used those versions.

Yeah, they use the Legends Films versions. Still, this movie works better in B&W.

They did use Black and White Night of the Living Dead, even though there are colorized versions.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of picking up some more Rifftrax horror movie b-movies. Probably wait until the Halloween coupon first, but what are some good ones to get? I already have GHOSTHOUSE, Dracula Saves the World, When a Stranger Calls Back, Birdmic, Rock N Roll Nightmare, House on Haunted Hill, and those older b-movies ones that few ever talk about like Maniac and Devil Hands.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The version of Carnival of Souls that's on Hulu is in black and white.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rirse posted:

Thinking of picking up some more Rifftrax horror movie b-movies. Probably wait until the Halloween coupon first, but what are some good ones to get? I already have GHOSTHOUSE, Dracula Saves the World, When a Stranger Calls Back, Birdmic, Rock N Roll Nightmare, House on Haunted Hill, and those older b-movies ones that few ever talk about like Maniac and Devil Hands.

Terror at Tenkiller and The Last Slumber Party are both great.

The Dark Power is also pretty good IF you can tolerate the part at the end where that one girl screams for like 10 minutes straight without pause; I know several goons here couldn't.

Edit: Since you mentioned it, I just want to add that The Devil's Hands contains one of my favorite Mike riffs ever. "The drummer from Def Leppard could out-drum this guy with one hand tied behind his back!"

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 28, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't remember who here said it, but Last Slumber Party is basically the "Guy From Harlem" of slasher flicks.

That's not exaggeration for comedic effect, by the way. Both movies have the same disconnected dialog and stream-of-consciousness plots. If you told me the same people made both movies I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

FYI, coupon codes RIFFORTREAT (10%), CARNIE (10%), and HERK (5%) are all active and can be combined to get ~23% off your cart.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Getting Last Slumber Party & Terror at Tenkiller for sure, but what about the others in my cart?

I have Sisters of Death, Tourist Trap, City of the Dead, Dark Power (which I probably get as it was suggested above), Ruby, Hillbillies in a Haunted House, and Bahama Triangle (which I probably get since it has a Ghost House vibe + guy from Pumaman in it).

Right now my budget is enough for all those, but should I remove or replace any of those with Astro Zombie, Arachia, Catwoman of the Moon, Fever Lake, Night of the Lepus, Swamp of Ravens, Fangs of the Living Dead, Kingdom of the Spiders, or the other older ones that I missed?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rirse posted:

Getting Last Slumber Party & Terror at Tenkiller for sure, but what about the others in my cart?

I have Sisters of Death, Tourist Trap, City of the Dead, Dark Power (which I probably get as it was suggested above), Ruby, Hillbillies in a Haunted House, and Bahama Triangle (which I probably get since it has a Ghost House vibe + guy from Pumaman in it).

Right now my budget is enough for all those, but should I remove or replace any of those with Astro Zombie, Arachia, Catwoman of the Moon, Fever Lake, Night of the Lepus, Swamp of Ravens, Fangs of the Living Dead, Kingdom of the Spiders, or the other older ones that I missed?

Of all of the titles listed this post, my top 10 would be:

Last Slumber Party
Terror at Tenkiller,
City of the Dead
Dark Power
Ruby
Astro Zombies
Arachnia
Night of the Lepus
Kingdom of the Spiders
Fangs of the Living Dead

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I used the three coupons and spent $42 dollars on riffs.

That makes just over $300 spent on riffs since the beginning of August.

But I don't have a problem!

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 31, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Last night I went to a Halloween party/movie marathon and brought Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (unriffed). Watching the final ten minutes in a room with a bunch of people who hadn't seen it and didn't know what to expect was the highlight of my night.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I grabbed a Jurassic Park code from this thread earlier but then I ended up buying the Humble Bundle anyway, so here's my JP code:

5MDdoNng

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

I grabbed a Jurassic Park code from this thread earlier but then I ended up buying the Humble Bundle anyway, so here's my JP code:

Took it, thank you!

e: offering a code for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope: 7F7pHAd9

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

ringu0 posted: