Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

quote:

Mercedes Ex-Lax X-Class

I'll reserve judgment until I see an ad with industrial equipment dumping a bedload of gravel designer handbags from 10 feet in the air.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Valentino handbags with those big spikes.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, I did, over in the Post Your Ride thread. I'll repost it here just for you!

I'm seriously mulling over an abarth one, then popping a tune in. 200whp/220tq+ would be insanely fun in a car that light.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

It's here guys

Im still struggling to see the target market that would choose this over a King Ranch or equivalent from Chevy/GM?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kanish posted:

Im still struggling to see the target market that would choose this over a King Ranch or equivalent from Chevy/GM?

Probably why it's not being sold in the US.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm seriously mulling over an abarth one, then popping a tune in. 200whp/220tq+ would be insanely fun in a car that light.

160 HP/180 ft-lbs is pretty fun as is. I'm tempted to buy a tune myself, but not right away. I'm not a modder, though, and have no illusions of being Mario Andretti. The stock Lusso is plenty.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Powershift posted:

Probably why it's not being sold in the US.

Oh well that makes more sense then.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Deteriorata posted:

160 HP/180 ft-lbs is pretty fun as is. I'm tempted to buy a tune myself, but not right away. I'm not a modder, though, and have no illusions of being Mario Andretti. The stock Lusso is plenty.

My daily is a '13 WRX but you really can't wring it out without the chance of losing your license since it's pushing 100 if you wind out third gear. Also I really want a convertible now. AI seems to hate the 124, but I see it as being so much fun just from the tune-ability of a turbo engine that's usually backed way off to meet emissions and economy targets. These days you can get MAYBE 5% gains on a N/A engine in comparison. If Mazda chose to make a "mazdaspeed" MX-5 again, I'd be all over it, but they refuse to, so here we are.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 26, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
8 series is coming back http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/10/bmws-new-flagship-coupe/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Whiz Palace posted:

The thread title should be "Read about a new car you hate? Bitch about it here, in the news thread!"

If designers were actually allowed to make cool poo poo it'd be a thread full of cool cars...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oooo...with a 12...

I'd love to have a car with a 12. Couldn't afford one new though, and sure as hell couldn't afford to keep a used one running. :v:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Alfa Giulia sales figures in September. Note that in many of the countries it only became possible to order one in middle of September. The statistics also demonstrate importance of a wagon version in the European market.

FCA promptly responded by announcing that a wagon version is coming: http://europe.autonews.com/article/20161026/ANE/161029902/alfa-will-add-a-giulia-wagon-to-boost-european-sales

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I feel like that second chart explains why you shouldn't call your 2 door and 4 door version of the same car by different names.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Once again, Europe is ahead of us.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I would so but an xe if I had the means, but comparing options on that second chart the V60 would be really tempting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Brand new car and they're already getting crushed. If it's not delivery problems that sort themselves out very quickly, that's bad news for FCA.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Brand new car and they're already getting crushed. If it's not delivery problems that sort themselves out very quickly, that's bad news for FCA.

Did you know that the Maserati Levante has already been on sale for two months? They should be racking up those orders now that you can get a Maserati SUV for $70k.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In many of the countries it only became possible order one in September and in UK (4th largest market) it was not sold yet. On top of that only the diesels are currently in delivery. I know people who ordered theirs when it became possible an took deliveries of their diesels in October. Those who ordered petrol engined versions expect deliveries "by christmas".

I think they are pretty much on track for their global annual sales target of 75 000 - 100 000.

Edit: Note, Giulia was not yet sold in UK in September. All the others in the statistics of my previous post were.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 27, 2016

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/news/a30437/nissan-b13-sentra-cancelled/

:sad:

^ that one had a SR16VE w/ N1 cams in it...best changeover sound ever :q:

ah Good times...if u have never driven owned/driven a B13 SE-R then shame on u - the mint '90 240SX i had circa 2k3 was a total stone borefest in comparison

:rip:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I hated the ND initially but it's grown on me quite a lot to the point where I quite like it.

The Fiat is still as ugly as it was when I first saw it. The old one is prettier.

I :love: what they did here...

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the B13s had ABS available, at least in Canada. The GXEs could have them as an option. Strange it couldn't be retrofitted.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
also Elon seriously needs to just drone this whiny shill already or maybe just rocket her into outer space ehhh...you know what to do EM

https://www.autonews.com/article/20161024/RETAIL01/310249997/teslas-arguments-in-defense-of-direct-sales-are-wrong

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Let's not say anything negative of beloved Tesla.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

Let's not say anything negative of beloved Tesla.

Praise be to Elon.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/791389989477036032

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Mercedes lineup will use exclusively 4l V8, 3l I6 and 2l I4s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You missed the fun bit, the big list of things that can't possible go wrong, and will be cheap and easy to fix in the rare case they do.

quote:

A host of innovations will go into series production in 2017:

electric auxiliary compressor eZV
Integrated Starter-Alternator ISG
belt-driven starter-alternator BSA
48 V electrical system
cylinder shutoff
Particulate filters for petrol engines
near-engine exhaust system
2500 bar diesel injection
CAMTRONIC in diesel engine (OM 656), V8 biturbo petrol engine (M 176) and four-cylinder petrol engine (M 264)

My personal favorite.

quote:

The six-cylinder in-line engine features systematic electrification. For example, there is no belt drive for ancillary components at the front of the engine, which reduces its overall length.

The 48 V electrical system serves not only high power consumers, such as the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, but also the Integrated Starter-Alternator (ISG), which also supplies energy to the battery by means of highly efficient energy recovery. The ISG dispenses with the need for a belt drive for these components. This not only reduces the overall length of the engine and its complexity, but also paves the way for new, efficient control possibilities.

So the only accessory being driven by the engine is a 48v 15kw combination starter/alternator that can recover energy from the road while coasting, power the start/stop system, and provides electricity for electric motors to turn the water pump and A/C.

A whole bunch of fun reading here http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko.xhtml?oid=14314786

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

You missed the fun bit, the big list of things that can't possible go wrong, and will be cheap and easy to fix in the rare case they do.

My personal favorite.

So the only accessory being driven by the engine is a 48v 15kw combination starter/alternator that can recover energy from the road while coasting, power the start/stop system, and provides electricity for electric motors to turn the water pump and A/C.

A whole bunch of fun reading here http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko.xhtml?oid=14314786

I'm honestly surprised that more cars haven't moved to higher voltage electrical systems. I know GM pondered it when they started throwing electric power steering on everything that isn't a Corvette, but they didn't pull the trigger.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I like the idea of the V8 and I6 but that's a lot of stuff to break. :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

My personal favorite.

Sounds like the kind of thing there really should be two of.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I like the idea of the V8 and I6 but that's a lot of stuff to break. :v:

Who cares, it only has to last as long as your lease

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I'm honestly surprised that more cars haven't moved to higher voltage electrical systems. I know GM pondered it when they started throwing electric power steering on everything that isn't a Corvette, but they didn't pull the trigger.

The rest of the car is still going to be 12v, just the engine energy recover/starting/accessories will be on the 48v system for the foreseeable future.

Basically, every mercedes will be a mild low-voltage hybrid, with the larger engines having the starter/alternator in between the engine and transmission, and the smaller engines having it belt driven from the position of the alternator.

In THEORY, it's actually quite reasonable, as it ditches both the alternator and starter in favor of a single unit. The water pump doesn't have to be inacessible, 10 minutes to unplug the electrical connector and 2 hose clamps to swap it out. The A/C compressor doesn't need a clutch and doesn't even need to be in the engine bay.

In practice, mercedes. You can see the Plastic water pump in that picture down beside the motor mount, nearly touching the god drat downpipe, you'll have to remove the front left corner of the car to get at the A/C pump, and half of the 48v motors driving the two of those will be made out of glass. Also, the starter/alternator will randomly gently caress up and be inside the bell housing of the transmission again for ze packaging, and cost $8000 and 143 hours to replace.

Just picture getting your e-torx socket on that top bolt there. when it's up in the belly of the car.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 30, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's not like water pumps ever go wrong in German cars.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

What about the V12s in the S-Class?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it'd be cooler if it was exclusively 2L V4s, 3L V6s and 4L V8s because then they could make em all from like 70% identical parts.

Also it would mean a 6L V12.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I think it'd be cooler if it was exclusively 2L V4s, 3L V6s and 4L V8s because then they could make em all from like 70% identical parts.

Mercedes is apparently just stamping out 0.5L cylinders and assembling them like Lego into whatever configuration they need.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

Modern V engines aren't all 90deg, right? If so, would all blocks and heads (for airflow optimization) be unrelated?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They could do it like a detroit with heads with 2 cyl each. The V4 is 2 heads, have an i6 instead of a v6 with 3, the v8 is 4 heads, the v12 6.

That naturally means an i8 and V16 are also technically possibilities.

Then also make everything 2 stroke with a blower and a turbo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sagebrush posted:

Presumably the bulk of the production will be the 4 and the 6 and those do share most of the parts.

kimbo305 posted:

Modern V engines aren't all 90deg, right? If so, would all blocks and heads (for airflow optimization) be unrelated?

Probably the 90deg V6 has some packaging constraints in a transverse FWD layout. All the ones on the market and there are a surprising number of them, are on longitudinal mountings.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Question is can I get a merc I6 without the mild hybrid stuff
(And can i toon it ter fi hunnert)

and when will it show up in cpo lots

This is actually getting me excited about mercs. Potentially High revving lowish displacement turbo v8s and a non bmw I6.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 30, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It comes from the factory with 408 so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

and when will it show up in cpo lots

No, it seems the engine is designed around the hybrid system. Just convince yourself it's actually KERS and you're basically in an F1 car.