Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Someone should test to see if time moves more slowly for the player in barns/shreds.

I use my outside keg as a indicator for a wine harvest by end of day now.

If there is a mechanic that allows time to move at different speeds in different buildings, it should be used! Maybe some sort of really expensive totem you can place in buildings to slow them down or speed them up. Would make the drat fruit cave worthwhile.

:golfclap:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm torn on the fruit cave because it helped me clear the community bundles with some random fruit drops.

I'm going to start up a new save file and there is no way in hell I am doing the community center again, unless there's some new sort of reward for it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like the community center because it adds more complexity to what you need to do on a daily basis. Trying to finish the first spring with 5 gold parsnips, the other necessary crops, grabbing all the bundle fish available in spring, saving money for summer seeds and mine diving for advanced tools and sprinklers is a lot more interesting than just maxing crops and mine diving for sprinklers and mushroom money.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Some bundles need mushrooms so both are good for that. Shrooms is probably better than bats because you'll be growing your own fruit eventually anyway, while the mushrooms are just random.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My farm:

Winter year 3.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Ooo. We are showing off farms? I ripped off the basic forest layout someone posted a while back. Will post it when I get home.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. I just realized what a ballache getting every cooking recipe is. I thought my "friends with everyone~~~~" guy had all of them but no, he's missing three from the cooking channel and one from Sandy(tom kha soup).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Man. I just realized what a ballache getting every cooking recipe is. I thought my "friends with everyone~~~~" guy had all of them but no, he's missing three from the cooking channel and one from Sandy(tom kha soup).

If I miss one during this winter I have to wait until year 5 to get one of the 2 recipes I'm still missing. The other one will come in the mail once I get Kent more hearts, iirc.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MacheteZombie posted:

If I miss one during this winter I have to wait until year 5 to get one of the 2 recipes I'm still missing. The other one will come in the mail once I get Kent more hearts, iirc.

Kent only sends me bombs in the mail :smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It was bugging me so I looked it up. I only need Super Meal (Kent +7 hearts) and Pumpkin Pie (odd years, 21 Winter).

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Aegis Aleworks

Overview:

Cellar Layout:

Shed Layout:

Currently the southern portion of the farm is obviously a mess. I plan to pretty much demolish the entire center of the farm during winter and redo the layout so I can squeeze in as many crops as possible without it looking too ugly. I may also try to move the sheds around so it looks a bit cleaner. The northeast area with the lightning rods is eventually going to be filled with sheds full of kegs, I just don't have enough of them yet to need the space freed up for other things. Overall pretty happy with it. Spring year 3 will be great as I have a full crop of strawberries ready to go and plenty of irridium sprinklers.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Man, I feel stupid for not ever looking at other layouts for things before setting up. I'm not all that great at uh, what, spatial reasoning? So my layouts don't make optimum use of the space. :(

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Isolated Farm, Summer Year 3

The asymmetric layout of my crop squares should look a little more balanced now. I also moved the bee houses and planted more oak trees. The well is purely decorative and will be replaced with one of the really expensive magic buildings once I have the money for it. I already have some Junimo huts, but upload.farm apparently doesn't display them.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Hey, this game got updated recently. Is it worth it to jump back in if you got burned out before the update?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Joda posted:

Hey, this game got updated recently. Is it worth it to jump back in if you got burned out before the update?

Depends?

You can now marry Shane or Emily, there are new farm layouts - here's a full list of changes. Patch notes.

What burned you out?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

What burned you out?

Finished everything, tried all the crops, wasn't challenging anymore so I didn't see much point in continuing. I tried starting over, but it just felt kinda flat.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Might make sense to just pick up your old save. Most of the changes were to the end-game, you could probably see most of the new content without replaying the game.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joda posted:

Finished everything, tried all the crops, wasn't challenging anymore so I didn't see much point in continuing. I tried starting over, but it just felt kinda flat.

Now you can try making a farm in a totally new setup, like the River or Mountain farm. Other than that, it's not going to fundamentally change how you approach the game.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

How do people feel about cost-effective fences and paths? It got annoying replacing stone walls and cobblestone paths every month for me.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

ewe2 posted:

How do people feel about cost-effective fences and paths? It got annoying replacing stone walls and cobblestone paths every month for me.

I was going to say "Gold clock" but I had missed a zero on the price tag :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ewe2 posted:

get a spouse

failing that, use machines or lightning rods as fencing, you're gonna want a whole lot of batteries anyways

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just keep a box full of replacement fences near my barns where I have the fence. Also, what? Cobblestone paths degrade? I've never had to replace any path...

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I just keep a box full of replacement fences near my barns where I have the fence. Also, what? Cobblestone paths degrade? I've never had to replace any path...

Sometimes a wild shrubbery will leap out from the dirt and kill a piece of road.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For those needing an easy at-a-glance cheat sheet for relationship gifts, this is the best one I've found, I can just alt-tab and see who gets what immediately, no scrolling around. And I believe quality factors into gains, since I gave Demetrius a gold star strawberry on his birthday and I went up three hearts with him in one go.

I'm breaking the rules of my Beer Baron save of having zero hearts with everyone except my wife because it's just easier to do it this way to get all the recipes since he has all of the TV ones and my "casual" save doesn't. Plus he's got all the crops and stuff needed to cook with.

Might edit the save file to switch from Joja to Community Center, and throw away like 10 million, saying I 'bought them out" after having a grinch-like change of heart. :v:

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Sometimes a wild shrubbery will leap out from the dirt and kill a piece of road.

Is this why I've been seeing so many pictures with flooring everywhere?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think lightning can also take out floor tiles.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It can, but you can pick it up again.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So I went with the hilltop farm in my post-1.1 restart. I'm talking to folks and getting an earlier start on fishing than I did the first time around, but not mining as much. Mostly I'm just working on getting the greenhouse unlocked so I can "finish" the northern plateau.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Are bridges you can build? I like the idea of the river and mining layouts, but I'd like to be able to make different routes through the layout.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Any tips for my first few trips to Skull Cavern?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Asciana posted:

Any tips for my first few trips to Skull Cavern?

Depends on what you want to do, if you're trying to get as much iridium as possible, then go in with a large stack of bombs and 10+ stacks of 999 Rocks. Once you get inside, start crafting stairs and go down as far as you can, iridium shows up more often the farther you drop.

Otherwise if you're going in there for fun, the minimums I would suggest are:
-Gold Pickaxe (Requires two hits for most rocks.)
-Sashimi or other +90 Health food (At least a stack of 15)
-Obsidian/Lava Blade, I think the lava blade takes one less hit to kill flying snakes, but it still attacks faster, making it less likely for you to be struck.
-Bombs, these will help you find the holes that let you shortcut through levels and kill mummies once they fall to the floor.

Good items to bring:
Burglar Ring: Doubles monster drops.

Vampire Ring: Heals on monster kill
or
Iridium Band if you already have one.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 26, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

And the flying eels are bigger than they look, swing earlier than you think you have to. Once you get used to their hit boxes, it's not too dangerous down there and you can worry more about getting to the next floor faster.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I finally got Maru's 10 heart scene....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

I finally got Maru's 10 heart scene....

:yeah:

e: For content, I actually have a question: I've been really indecisive about when to plant fruit trees, and I kind of want apples, but...hmm. Does anyone have tips for organizing and planting an orchard?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

StrixNebulosa posted:

For content, I actually have a question: I've been really indecisive about when to plant fruit trees, and I kind of want apples, but...hmm. Does anyone have tips for organizing and planting an orchard?

Remember that fruit trees take an entire season to grow, so the best time to plant them is on the 28th of 2 seasons before or the 1st of the season before. They only grow if the land around them is clear. Think quality sprinkler range. The key is the space has to be clear at the end of the day. I'm having trees grow on the forest map that have the hardwood stumps growing next to them. I just have to be sure to chop the stumps everyday or they don't grow. I'm pretty sure this applies to water so no planting fruit trees next to the little lakes on the property. You can also plant them in the green house around the edges. Just make sure the space around them is clear of obstructions. This includes other fruit trees though the game won't let you plant a tree to close to another one.

I usually plant them in neat rows because I'm OCD like that. In the original map I planted them on the eastern edge with 4-5 trees in a row. On the forest map I'm planting them in the hardwood groves.

You get higher quality fruit for every year the tree is up but the spaces around them have to be clear. No putting down flooring. I'm not sure about the specifics with regards to how many days they have to be clear, but honestly I just turn all that poo poo into wine so quality means gently caress all to me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Remember that fruit trees take an entire season to grow, so the best time to plant them is on the 28th of 2 seasons before or the 1st of the season before. They only grow if the land around them is clear. Think quality sprinkler range. The key is the space has to be clear at the end of the day. I'm having trees grow on the forest map that have the hardwood stumps growing next to them. I just have to be sure to chop the stumps everyday or they don't grow. I'm pretty sure this applies to water so no planting fruit trees next to the little lakes on the property. You can also plant them in the green house around the edges. Just make sure the space around them is clear of obstructions. This includes other fruit trees though the game won't let you plant a tree to close to another one.

I usually plant them in neat rows because I'm OCD like that. In the original map I planted them on the eastern edge with 4-5 trees in a row. On the forest map I'm planting them in the hardwood groves.

You get higher quality fruit for every year the tree is up but the spaces around them have to be clear. No putting down flooring. I'm not sure about the specifics with regards to how many days they have to be clear, but honestly I just turn all that poo poo into wine so quality means gently caress all to me.

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. Spring 1 of Year 2 is going to be massively busy for me as I plant everything and set up my orchard. I'm not going for optimal anything, but I do want to make massive bank this year so that means lots and lots of crops....and yes, trees so I can finish up more bundles. :madmax:

(I'm going to regret not turning my hoe into a gold hoe during the dark days of winter, aren't I...)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. Spring 1 of Year 2 is going to be massively busy for me as I plant everything and set up my orchard. I'm not going for optimal anything, but I do want to make massive bank this year so that means lots and lots of crops....and yes, trees so I can finish up more bundles. :madmax:

You might want to do your orchard planting at the end of winter. Spring 1-2 Year 2 ended up being my busiest days by a wide margin. Even with spending Winter 28 Year 1 lining up sprinklers and planning layouts, it was a mad rush of hoeing, fertilizing, planting, watering.

The good news is that losing a day of radish growth isn't the end of the world, and Summer 1 and Fall 1 are much less of a pain since your strawberries will keep your land tilled and watered. All you need to do is scythe, fertilize, and plant.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

So what even are the rules for planting trees in the hardwood section of the forest map? In spring year 1 I put some pinecones/etc around where the stumps spawn every day and most never grew into anything, even though they were spread apart & after chopping the stumps down many many many times. As an experiment (backing up my save beforehand!) I cheated in some fruit trees, chopped down the stumps & planted them in the area, 2 directly on top of where stumps spawned and 3 around the rest, then went to bed some times to make days pass. The ones on top of the stumps grew normally and the stumps didn't come back, but the ones that were technically adjacent, even if it looked like they had enough room, didn't grow at all, even after chopping the stumps down every day

anyway end of year 1, you have hella hardwood already, there should be an easy way to get rid of stumps & repurpose that whole area without having to gently caress around & guess about placement :/

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Non-fruit trees are notoriously unreliable when it comes to growth. Sometimes it takes a week, or a season, or longer if it feels like being a dick. I know for sure cutting down the stumps next to my fruit trees works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't played in ages and probably want to just start from scratch when I return. What of the new farm layouts are people actually liking as viable? Should I just stick with the original?