Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For a split second I felt like we were about to get a DBZ fury moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Looking forward to see how this pans out. I found it quite interesting to see Thorfinn in pain, but also clearly trying to be the new version of himself. Personally I'm hoping that Thorfinn just tells Thorkell whats up and then lets him deal with Floki.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

i flunked out posted:

Looking forward to see how this pans out. I found it quite interesting to see Thorfinn in pain, but also clearly trying to be the new version of himself. Personally I'm hoping that Thorfinn just tells Thorkell whats up and then lets him deal with Floki.

Thorfinn is going to stick with his new beliefs and try and stop any violence. Hild will be the one to tell Thorkell, and then she'll kick her self over it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That is really not what I expected Vagn to act like from the saga excerpts I've read

could be just an act I suppose (probably is, even)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
This chapter was... short ? Still great though.

He thought his revenge was denied because he couldn't kill Askelad, it'll be nice to see how he'll conciliate his new ways and the fact that he could still have his revenge.
I imagine either Floki will attack the group or someone from Thorfin's party will get kidnapped, somehow they'll have to go face to face for Thorfin to prove his resolve.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In this episode, Thorfinn meets Guan Yu. :iia:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

i flunked out posted:

Maybe he will go all batman, not opting to save Floki's life and let him die in his mess

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

caberham posted:

Maybe he will go all batman, not opting to save Floki's life and let him die in his mess

As long as he goes regular batman and not all-star batman.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
tbh I just want to see Thorkell doing his thing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

i flunked out posted:

tbh I just want to see Thorkell doing his thing.

This. It's been too long without good ol' Thorkell going all out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it feels weird Thorkell wouldn't have figured it out too if it was that obvious that Floki might be involved, but then I remembered what Thorkell is like.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I reread the last couple of chapters to get the flow back (it's too bad that the chapters are so short these days), and I liked the quote ending the chapter before last, "You cannot live among a herd of sheep. At least, not within the Baltic Sea." It felt like it was implicitly contrasting this sea, with its cycles of revenge and politics, filled with death-loving warriors, with the idea of Vinland. It did a great job setting down the thesis of this Baltic Sea War arc.

As for this chapter... the panels of Thorfinn's scarred hand over his face were really effective. As was that last panel of him sadly hunched on a rock... especially after his burning rage earlier. I'm enjoying this internal conflict, and the weight of the past. I'm glad Hild was there to say, "If you say you'll avenge your father, I'll avenge mine," not just for Thorfinn's sake (he probably didn't need to hear it), but for the audience's sake too. We all think Floki's a jerk, and we're probably more than okay with the idea of him being killed. Hild's line reminds us what this is about for Thorfinn.

I'm not sure how this will resolve... it'd feel like a cop out if Floki somehow died anyway as a result of Thorfinn's actions. Like if he somehow gets his revenge without compromising his principles. So I legitimately do not know where this story is going. It's really interesting.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thorfinn is going to end up having to save Floki's life

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've been buying the volumes and rereading the story has been quite a blast. In my mind Askeladd is voiced by Steve Blum, and it's pretty good.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rodyle posted:

Yeah I've often wondered how he could possibly end this, because if we follow the sagas then it'd basically be "Welp. The End."

But I can't imagine he'd actually go with a utopia ending either.

There's a scene back at the Ketil farm arc where he mentions that he wants to find a peaceful place somewhere in the world free from war and build a grave for all the people he's killed. I'm assuming the series will end with him building the grave and coming back to Iceland to raise his family.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He's gonna give the Skraelings cheese and milk then will be confused when they try to kill him for it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Attack posted:

thorfinn is going to end up having to save Floki's life

Against Thorkell? Because that would be mind blowing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Volume posted:

Against Thorkell? Because that would be mind blowing.

I now really hope it will happen, becouse yeah, that would be incredible. :getin:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Einar actually continues being a main character past the farm arc. I was expecting that that woman to survive and for him to stay behind at the farm with her.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Sea Cradle

http://bato.to/reader#da559d9f02a0c6e1_2

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/justice-the-ballad-of-wyatt-earp-r19418

this is a cool series, the earp brothers and bat masterson as a bunch of bishies instead of kurt russell and company

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
It's Otoyomegatari time!! Count on skinny dads to wheel and deal

I'm suddenly really fixated on the shovel dude for some reason. I thought it was a fuckup that he kept appearing with wonky google eyes but maybe they've adopted the old maxim that consistency hides mistakes, so now he's always a little crooked.

Oops it's Mori vacation again. Inconsequential half-length chapter followed by month hiatus lol.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Vinland Saga Side Story (Canine Saga)

i hope karli grows into a splendid dog

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shine on you crazy diamond. :allears:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
He's right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Law Cheetah posted:

Man, that is one smug rear end goat. Gonna smug itself right into a throat rip.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Law Cheetah posted:

I look forward to the spin off series featuring the dog and karli

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
e: double post

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Good doggy :3:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Considering it only comes out every year and a half or so I feel like I should remind the Yankees that Brides Story book 8 is on the stands today :toot:

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 28, 2016

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Thorkell Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-019-Ch-132--Baltic-Sea-War--008-?id=326003

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is accurate to the original Japanese, correct? :allears:

linked for spoilers

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is accurate to the original Japanese, correct? :allears:

linked for spoilers

I really really hope so.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hild Status: Still the Best.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I love the befuddled reaction to their vaguely modern sensibilities. I like the perspective that these kinds of things may be a given to us today (even people who don't care realize they're transgressing norms to some extent), but they are not a given in human society throughout history. Those ideals needed to be invented/discovered and enforced in order for them to spread.

I also like that Thorfinn had a quick and sensible answer to what about the need for order! It's a compelling reason if he cares about the welfare of the common folk. Some violence might be justified in order to protect them from chaos. Thorfinn might be sympathetic to that need, but that's Canute's job. Thorfinn is trying something else.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I wonder what is going to happen once Thorkell finds that Thorfinn is there and Floki is responsible for Thors murder, in any case, a lot of people will die.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Vinland Saga started out as an okay popcorn read for me, but when askeladd died by someone else's hand I knew it was going someplace interesting. I had mixed feelings when Thorfinn decided on his goal, just because I wasn't ready to hope that the author would commit to that tack fully, but the manga really has evolved into something wonderful. It still tells tragic and bloody stories, but the tone, and the efforts of the characters, are much more positive.

It's a unique style, despite the premise matching the baseline shonen standard of quirky hero that wants to befriend rather than defeat their enemies. I think the difference is that Thorfinn actually did go over the edge, and knows the consequences, and so there's much more weight to the moral quandaries he goes through.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Eiba posted:

I love the befuddled reaction to their vaguely modern sensibilities. I like the perspective that these kinds of things may be a given to us today (even people who don't care realize they're transgressing norms to some extent), but they are not a given in human society throughout history. Those ideals needed to be invented/discovered and enforced in order for them to spread.

I was popping gobbets of cured flesh into my mouth on the tube and suddenly considered that more sensitive people might consider that barbaric but man, those small chunks of iberian ham were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hyouge Mono ftw