Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Mono - Requiem for Hell is now on Bandcamp and Spotify. The full version of Requiem for Hell is... holy gently caress, amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
New Wang Wen album is out.

https://wangwen.bandcamp.com/album/sweet-home-go

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been listening to the early albums of God is an Astronaut they are so good.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

SmokinDan posted:

New Wang Wen album is out.

i've never really managed to get into any of their stuff before but this one seems to have clicked with me for some reason

maybe i'm just in the right mood now or something, go figure

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Their last album was pretty amazing I thought, this one didn't really grab me at all.

New Caspian song with some pretty great visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3fuxQ99Kk

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The new BBC documentary by Adam Curtis features some cracking music.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...usic_b-gdnmusic

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
How are Caspian and This Will Destroy You live? They're both playing in LA next week, but I'll be facing some serious sleep depravation at work if I see both of them...

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I've never seen This Will Destroy You, but I can say that if you enjoy any of Caspian's music you definitely need to see them live.
Hell, even if you don't like their music I'd still recommend seeing them anyway because their shows are fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Caspian are really fun.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
twdy are good. jeremy galindo's tone is magical live

e: they are also extremely loud

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

chunkles posted:

New Caspian song with some pretty great visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3fuxQ99Kk

Seeing them with The Appleseed Cast in a few weeks and I've never seen either live before. Pretty pumped.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Seeing them with The Appleseed Cast in a few weeks and I've never seen either live before. Pretty pumped.

Saw the tour opener in DC, and it was great. Though one thing that saddens me is that they didn't play Sycamore . I've seen them play it every time I've seen them, but for those who've never seen them before, it's a treat

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Deviantfish posted:

How are Caspian and This Will Destroy You live? They're both playing in LA next week, but I'll be facing some serious sleep depravation at work if I see both of them...

Both excellent. TWDY play in near complete darkness though, there's basically no visual presence except a couple headlamps. I think it's a bit gimmicky but that sound is transcendent. Last time I saw them I was blazed out of my mind laying on the floor and drifting between planes of consciousness. 10/10, would recommend.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

SgtScruffy posted:

Saw the tour opener in DC, and it was great. Though one thing that saddens me is that they didn't play Sycamore . I've seen them play it every time I've seen them, but for those who've never seen them before, it's a treat

I wanted to go to this (and their Richmond show last year), but I'm having health issues and don't think I could stand on my feet for the duration (nor drive to, and navigate, DC). :( I've never seen them.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Stupid PR band names have come up before but Break My loving Sky has to be the stupidest of all. Typical PR epic-bombast-bathos. Imagine going into a shop (yes, imagine it is 2006 again):

Customer: Have you got that new album by a post-rock band....something sky.
Assistant: Explosions in the Sky?
Customer: Erm, no... the other one.
Asst: Well, you're going to have to help me here.
Customer: Break my [inaudible] sky?
Asst: Sorry?
Customer: Erm, never mind....
(Leaves shop)

They turn out to be a Maybeshewill knock-off. Forgettable.

Any more stupid names that have turned up recently?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Stupid PR band names have come up before but Break My loving Sky has to be the stupidest of all. Typical PR epic-bombast-bathos. Imagine going into a shop (yes, imagine it is 2006 again):

Customer: Have you got that new album by a post-rock band....something sky.
Assistant: Explosions in the Sky?
Customer: Erm, no... the other one.
Asst: Well, you're going to have to help me here.
Customer: Break my [inaudible] sky?
Asst: Sorry?
Customer: Erm, never mind....
(Leaves shop)

They turn out to be a Maybeshewill knock-off. Forgettable.

Any more stupid names that have turned up recently?

If Anything Happens To The Cat is a pretty bad name, and they're a pretty good band. The Samuel Jackson Five won Worst Band Name in Norway at one point and are unbelievably good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Post rock bands like to have long 'profound' phrases as names to trick people into thinking they're smart and cool

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If Anything Happens To The Cat is a pretty bad name, and they're a pretty good band. The Samuel Jackson Five won Worst Band Name in Norway at one point and are unbelievably good.

The Samuel Jackson Five is a great name, what the hell Norway?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Are any of them named Samuel Jackson? I thought not! :colbert:

A human heart posted:

Post rock bands like to have long 'profound' phrases as names to trick people into thinking they're smart and cool

:doh:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

A human heart posted:

:prepop:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

Godspeed You! loving Idiot

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I question some of the band naming choices, but probably there's a story there somewhere - Hazards of Swimming Naked for example.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Elco is probably my favourite post-rock release of the year. Amazing dynamics, reaching into post-metal at times and soft Rachel's minimalism other times. Heavy use of strings.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

this owns a lot

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

This is great, the guitar at the end of Adonis Minos is wild, I've never heard anything like that before.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

the album reminds me slightly of The Evpatoria Report in places

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chunkles posted:

This is great, the guitar at the end of Adonis Minos is wild, I've never heard anything like that before.

It's kind of Mono-y.

SpruceZeus posted:

it was reminding me slightly of The Evpatoria Report in places

Very apt.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 5, 2016

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw El Ten Eleven the other night (for the first time), and they were pretty good. I'm not the hugest fan of them, so I didn't really know a lot of songs off the top of my head, it was still worth the money to see double neck bass+guitar wankery

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
76gi8ybikvvv ggg gttttttttt777 @#@ fg jl;;;;

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nonviolent J posted:

wow, i guess that guy really was right about pretentious post-rock band names

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

I saw El Ten Eleven the other night (for the first time), and they were pretty good. I'm not the hugest fan of them, so I didn't really know a lot of songs off the top of my head, it was still worth the money to see double neck bass+guitar wankery

I remember seeing them at the first or second ArcTanGent and them being a ton of fun and the audience getting super into it and singing along with the guitar parts (ATG tradition). Way better live than on record.

Nonviolent J posted:

Same.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

So many anniversaries this week - Gifts from Enola, This Will Destroy You. Makes me feel old

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anniversaries of no significance

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I remember seeing them at the first or second ArcTanGent and them being a ton of fun and the audience getting super into it and singing along with the guitar parts (ATG tradition). Way better live than on record.

Same.

I think the crowd at the show I saw was definitely more subdued or at least on my level of "yeah I think I know a few of their songs so I'm gonna just politely nod along"

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anniversaries of no significance

when's their next album out

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

listening to this elco album more. the other thing it keeps vaguely reminding me of is Pirate Ship Quintet

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you're a huge Godspeed fan like me someone just uploaded a bunch of old FULL concert videos of them on Youtube. It's good stuff.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Here's a nice album that I missed from March: https://showmeadinosaur.bandcamp.com/track/wojna

These guys were doing a quasi black metal thing but this one is a lot more post-rocky, they're pretty good at it.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 12, 2016

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

SgtScruffy posted:

I saw them over in West Hollywood pretty recently and they were awesome. I thought for two guys and a light show it was very impressive. I'm probably a bigger fan than you though so I'm biased I guess.

Pelican is playing a show in December in LA so that should be :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

1 Mile North released a new album - "Awakened By Decay", a new material since 10 years. It's pretty much continuation of what they've been doing on "Minor Shadows", though even less optimistic, if that makes sense.